Who will Release a HD Texture Pack First, CD Projekt or Modders?

+
Who will Release a HD Texture Pack First, CD Projekt or Modders?

This game seriously needs one , there are some weird janky low res textures and the face textures for females is off. Triss looks weird in certain angles.

The foliage (grass) could use higher quality textures (they look flat at times), but current gen GPUs and highest end systems would barely be able to run it. But I hope that in the future someone can make this and by then, we'll have the hardware to run it efficiently too.

I don't think CDPR will release HD texture pack. The whole downgrade were due to parity. That is why PC gamers are shafted with PC Ultra=PS4 and the video immediately removed.

I don't think CDPR will release HD texture pack. The whole downgrade were due to parity. That is why PC gamers are shafted with PC Ultra=PS4 and the video immediately removed.
Consoles are the reason that Witcher 3 exists. PC gamers should be thankful to the consoles that Witcher 3 has an open world with so much content in it.

It should still at least be an option to have if you so decide. No reason to remove features because we currently run them. Leave 'em in game and later down the road as tech improves we can go back and turn things on and bask in the visual glory

Just a quick note:

• There are thousands of textures in the game
  • It's important when upgrading texture resolution that it's done across the board, otherwise high-res textures can stand out like a sore thumb
  • It's a monumental workload for modders to upgrade all relevant textures, not to mention do it consistently, and it would take a year before we got there
  • CDPR already has the original, very high-res assets
CDPR is best placed to release an HD pack, and considering the furore over the downgrade, would probably go a long way to appeasing PC users.

I'm a modder, and I do texture work, no doubt we will get some texture mods, but I'd rather CDPR packaged the high-res assets they already and release it, and then we as community use that as a base to work from.

Incidentally CDPR, my 4G GTX680s are wondering why you're only filling them half full with 2G of texture love. Think of the children graphics cards!

---------- Updated at 04:20 AM ----------

The foliage (grass) could use higher quality textures (they look flat at times), but current gen GPUs and highest end systems would barely be able to run it. But I hope that in the future someone can make this and by then, we'll have the hardware to run it efficiently too.
High-res textures have zero impact on performance, as long as you have enough VRAM on your GPU. This is the beauty of a high-res (and optional, for those whose cards don't have enough VRAM) texture pack -- much improved visuals at no performance cost. It's win/win.

Seriously I don't see why this game needs HD texture pack so badly ? it has some of the best looking textures, of course there are some areas where it's lacking but just releasing the texture pack won't solve the problem with grass. Now I personally think that the grass is quite good though it has a big problem which is the reason why it looks weird to most of us, the X axis of most of the grass models has no geometry (i.e it's completely flattened on X axis) which makes it look artificial from different angles, perhaps this is done to reduce poly count on grass but that's the reason not the immediate need of HD texture pack.

Seriously I don't see why this game needs HD texture pack so badly ? it has some of the best looking textures, of course there are some areas where it's lacking but just releasing the texture pack won't solve the problem with grass. Now I personally think that the grass is quite good though it has a big problem which is the reason why it looks weird to most of us, the X axis of most of the grass models has no geometry (i.e it's completely flattened on X axis) which makes it look artificial from different angles, perhaps this is done to reduce poly count on grass but that's the reason not the immediate need of HD texture pack.
Neither do I. This game looks amazing and it does not need an HD pack at all. For one thing it will strain current gpus to the max. This is not a game that needs that.

So if someone is vegetarian the people around him are denied meat?

Is that the reasoning some have to offer?

Yes, the game DOES need an HD pack... This is already in CDPR's possession... why deny it to those whose PC's can handle it??

Yes, the game DOES need an HD pack... This is already in CDPR's possession... why deny it to those whose PC's can handle it??

You know that for a fact? Source?

They "may" have some HD texture but do they have all of it? Preparing part of the game for Demo does not mean that they have it ready.

I am sure the modding community will come up with some HD texture pack before CDPR. CDPR will probably do the same for TW3 as the did previous TWs, they will likely release a Enhanced Edition or something; just hope we get a free upgrade this time as well :p

Even if CDPR releases a new texture pack, I am sure those wont be enough either. Just look at Skyrim. Some simply like texture that are so sharp that they look like plastic.

Hey Ashwind,

Well i would assume that the assets are already there, which makes sense..

Just like Skyrim released their own HD pack after the community's uproar. Then the modders will take it from there..

Now just picture what the modders will be able to do with this game in a year or 2 years time.

Skyrim at release was mediocre at best, yet the modders improvements to the game are limitless.. so imagine what they can do with a game that is a work of art since release..

I can't wait tbh

Seriously, the game doesn't need a full HD texture pack. Most textures are already 2048x2048 but I have to agree that GRASS & Foliage especially needs some loves. Atm, even with sharpen, it doesn't look like anything we've seen before.

This is surely the first thing modders will take care of. And as other said, textures will only cost you if you don't have enough VRAM. It wil not impact performance otherwise.

There's this:

"It's a similar story for environments, and their texture sizes and incidental objects. It was a trade-off between keeping that aspect of them or their unique, handmade design. And the team chose the latter. The data-streaming system couldn't handle everything while Geralt galloped around."

From an interview by Eurogamer with Marcin Iwinski, Adam Badowski, and Michal Platkow-Gilewski. Sounds like there are a huge number of textures that would need to be done for an entire texture pack, and CDPR might not currently already possess "HD textures" if they traded those textures right off the bat for smaller sized ones that they could hand-make (which I personally think was the right choice).

The most important part seems to be the "data-streaming" bit though. If textures are so high-res, maybe the game's framerate would start stuttering like crazy not because of the user's computer hardware but because of the game's engine. That's my inference anyway. So I'm not sure if a HD texture pack would be a good idea.

Seriously.

This is madness.

Ultra texture in this game is perfect.

You want more realistic texture? It will only ruin the setting of the game.
It's not ment to be looking like it is from real life. It's fantasy.

Just with how they added that extra 'Sharpness: High' feature, only makes the game look less good.

Soon some of you guys will only see texture here and there, textures.. textures.. and stop seeing a fantasy world.

Seriously.

This is madness.

Ultra texture in this game is perfect.

You want more realistic texture? It will only ruin the setting of the game.
It's not ment to be looking like it is from real life. It's fantasy.

Just with how they added that extra 'Sharpness: High' feature, only makes the game look less good.

Soon some of you guys will only see texture here and there, textures.. textures.. and stop seeing a fantasy world.

I don't see how better textures can ruin the settings... Just look at Skyrim vanilla vs modded Skyrim... Why should "fantasy" be defined by non realistic textures?

A Fantasy setting is defined by the atmosphere, lighting etc.

And The Witcher is not fantasy, it's dark fantasy. And yes there's a huge difference ;)

Some want them, some aren't fussed. Why the people who aren't fussed don't want others to have them I don't know?

Anyway, I'm certain CDPR will release them as they are one of the best developers for community interaction out there. A bit of patience is required though, as bug fixes are more important at this early stage. Cool your boots people

Guest 3819277

I think better wording would be not "the game needs the HD pack", but "some users need the HD pack"...;-) I am pretty sure I will not use it, my PC has enough to cope with as it is.

Top Bottom