Who will Release a HD Texture Pack First, CD Projekt or Modders?

+
I don't see where anyone is saying those who do want an HD pack shouldn't get one? I have to say though that when I first saw the thread title, my first thought was "Eh? Why?". The in-game textures are absolutely fine (in general). Obviously some could do with improvement, but as some have said, this will undoubtedly happen as patches come out. Also, requesting CDPR to do the HD texture work is counter-productive - there are other far more important issues that need fixed or improved, so expecting them to divert resources to something so unnecessary is frankly selfish.

Erm, you removed the remainder of my post in your quote which stated exactly the same thing ie the need to be patient as bug fixes are needed but it would happen. Not sure why? Did it not suit your post?

I would rather prefer them focus on bringing back the more advanced geometry and particle effects seen in the 35 minute demo. The textures are good enough for a game of this size plus it is easy enough for modders to change that compared to restoring the things I mentioned earlier.

I agree on that.
Sadly i think the chances to get those Effects back, are not that big.

What actually needs HD textures and weirdly no one has mentioned it are some of the game's props. Like pieces of bread on tables, bottles etc.
Problem is mostly in cutscenes/conversations where they are shown very closely (for example in bloody baron's tableware and bread in first or second cutscene where he is).

If you look trees and bushes very closely textures are actually really good and problem is close-up in models and when LOD models come play, texture quality drops too much when distance gets bigger.

What I hope is that when new foliage textures come (from modders or CDPR) we don't lose current insanely diverse vegetation system.
current version where there are dozens of different grass/ bush models, I'll take it any day over those skyrim grass mods where it's just same monotonous grass everywhere

EDIT:

and yes, current textures aren't really that big of a problem, What they actually downgraded was fire and other effects and current ones are way behind of those in trailers, I'd hope we can see those some day. (we already got blood on water back, thanks for that CDPR!)

Last edited:
Here is an article that proves my point that foliage meshes are low res not the textures. But they also mentioned a very genuine reason for this that since the game has really high volume of vegetation, it's simply impossible to make all of them high poly and still get playable fps.

http://www.pcgamer.com/witcher-3-gallery-the-prettiest-sunsets-and-ugliest-rocks/

Well I'm not entirely sure we wouldn't have playable FPS. For old rigs and consoles, sure it would not be an option. But higher rigs could do it. You can get high poly foliage in skyrim (it took time and grass density isn't as big as W3 tho but still).
Sadly it would require a massive overhaul, and it's not something that would go without hick ups.

Well I'm not entirely sure we wouldn't have playable FPS. For old rigs and consoles, sure it would not be an option. But higher rigs could do it. You can get high poly foliage in skyrim (it took time and grass density isn't as big as W3 tho but still).
Sadly it would require a massive overhaul, and it's not something that would go without hick ups.

Well I have disagree with that mate, a single 980 is considered to be a high end rig and even that cannot reach constant 60 fps with ultra right now so imagine what would happen if they make all foliage high poly. They cannot recommend everyone to have an SLI rig but yes a feature for future rigs perhaps...

Lets also not forget that this foliage is not static, it constantly moves with weather conditions, movements etc so I also think that it will require a massive overhaul to achieve that

Well I have disagree with that mate, a single 980 is considered to be a high end rig and even that cannot reach constant 60 fps with ultra right now so imagine what would happen if they make all foliage high poly. They cannot recommend everyone to have an SLI rig but yes a feature for future rigs perhaps...

Lets also not forget that this foliage is not static, it constantly moves with weather conditions, movements etc so I also think that it will require a massive overhaul to achieve that
Well you disagree with his opinion but the fact is that game disagrees with yours. Why? Because of the 35 minute gameplay which proves a stable fps count with higher quality textures and more polys still in game, plus tessellation plus dynamic lighting. And the new Maxwell cards weren't even out by that time. It was purely a console parity decision imho.

if you think thats the real reason then why were the first 2 witcher games only for pc? your ok with cdpr openly telling you that they will never make the best game for pc because they need more money?? would you not pay 80 dollars for this game if it were like what they orginally showed it 2 be? just something to think about

Nothing is going to change by what you believe or want others to believe, the fact remains that the game is pretty demanding even in it's current condition, I have GTX 980 SLI with which I achieve 60 fps with Ultra + GameWorks/HairWorks + 1440p but there are times when it drops to 55ish so I take it that even with a very strong rig this game is proving to be quite pushing.

And as far as I know that 35 min demo was recorded on 30 fps not 60 fps so maybe the devs had to tone down a couple of things to achieve 60 fps on PC otherwise I don't know what kind of rig you need to run it on 60 fps with all it's bells and whistles. There is a limit to which devs can push their game within what DX API provides, if there is anything this game truly needs then it's Dx12 upgrade before any further visual enhancements. Modders can take care of HD texture pack if it's really needed once the RedKit comes out.

Also we are paying the price for entire game not just graphics so we have to settle with something. I remember how everyone (including me to some extent) started bashing devs on that nonsense released by WhatIfGaming. It had one point as mentioned below

*Real-time reflections in the water are completely off and replaced with a cheaper render solution estimator (this is a primary reason blood splatter was also removed from water)

Now this point is already proved wrong by the devs, with patch 1.03 the blood mixing with water is back, maybe not as much as in previous builds but it's back now but nobody likes to point out this good change. Seriously we need to drop this negativity.

Actually. We just need the game to store textures in Vram. I'm running 2 titan Xs, and I can AT max only get 4300MBs in vram. It should be able to store a lot more and then maybe the stupid houses roofs will stop changing as I get close to them.

Top Bottom