Whose Audio Track is this? Possible Music Copyright Issue

+
Whose Audio Track is this? Possible Music Copyright Issue

So I was listening to Fairy Tail anime tracks and I heard Witcher 3 Music in it, So went on to wikipedia to have a look at Composer thinking I would get the name of the composer. To my surprise I found a conflict
The Song is called Zeref's Melancholy and according to wikipedia
"Fairy Tail OST Vol.4 (Original Sound Track) is a 51 song album of music, from the anime Fairy Tail. Unlike the previous volumes, it comes with two discs. The music for this OST was composed and arranged by Yasuharu Takanashi. It was released on March 20, 2013, on Pony Canyon."
Track 15: Zeref no Yuuutsu ゼレフの憂鬱 (eng. Zeref's Melancholy)
Youtube Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ERtsI1Y37w

So the above track has a background of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt OST - The Fields of Ard Skellig by Marcin Przybyłowicz
Soundcloud Link:
https://soundcloud.com/marcinprzyby...rcinprzybylowicz/sets/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

I don't know who the real composer is. But the track was used twice with different names. So someone needs to have a look at it. All the other threads related to copyright were old or closed so had to start a new one :)

It's supposedly a fairly common Gaelic track/sample that has been used many times before. There's also a very similar tune in HoMM IV (Wandering), and I remember seeing someone post a link to the actual Gaelic "original".

Clearly it's a tune that has been used enough times that whatever copyright claims it has, either are non-existent, or CDPR have surely taken the appropriate measures to ensure they aren't in trouble (Presumably by mixing it with enough changes that it's not breaching anything).

Musical inspiration comes from many places, and clearly this Gaelic tune fits Skellige well (At least I believe so), so it's evident to me why Marcin would have used that in this instance. Much like how a few of the Percival tracks in the game we've heard are almost identical to tracks that Percival created years ago, but it fits extremely well, and because of that it's one of those exceptions where I can't really make any big calls for lack of creativity or uniqueness.

The music is in the public domain, the arrangement is nothing to do with Takanashi but by Marcin and Percival, and the performance is by Percival for the Witcher 3 soundtrack. So I do not believe there are copyright concerns.

Not all music is resampled from tracks recorded by somebody else. Sometimes musicians actually make original music, dammit.

The music is in the public domain because it has been around for probably two centuries. It is most often attributed to Sìne NicFhionnlaigh (Jean Finlayson in Sassenach) of the Isle of Lewis, who wrote it for her lover Donald MacRae. Anybody can sing it for any reason, but you should be as good as Karen Matheson to record it:

Last edited:
Top Bottom