Why are CDPR still advertising Witcher 3 using E3 screenshots/footage?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are CDPR still advertising Witcher 3 using E3 screenshots/footage?

Witcher 3 steam page, official website front page, and youtube trailers.
Isn't this false advertising? Surely, surely this is illegal. Showing "work in progress" footage at e3 is fine, but directly advertising your game with assets no longer present in said game?

The game looks fantastic regardless, but that isn't the issue here. The issue is pulling people into buying the game with a supped-up version that no one will be able to play.
CD Projekt RED, you are respected and known as one of the last developers to care about its players. Customer loyalty is more useful in the long run, and will last through the years rather than deceptive tactics to attract the largest amount of cash from new players possible.

Hopefully i'll get a genuine, friendly answer from the developers I've adored and supported for years, rather than instantly silenced with a thread deletion and a ban or even worse - moved to a no-traffic sub-forum so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
This will probably get moved : BUT - Money - money - money. It's marketing that is now acceptable in the gaming industry. Make your product look as good as you can, sell it as half the quality of your trailers, then have your dev go on a video and laugh at you for thinking the ' in game footage' trailer was actually real. (this is all true by the way - i'll post my source if needed)

Similar to Gearbox and Colonial Marines, they left their bullshots up too way past release. Maybe they still have them on their site. I haven't visited it since.

I didn't know threads like this got deleted.... Maybe moved, yes but that is hardly a problem. And banned, I haven't heard of anyone being banned as of yet. (Of course once someone is banned they can't really talk here anymore and say they are banned... but I meant more of that a forum message in a topic says that a member is banned.)

They are quite mellow on these forums, as long as you follow the rules.
(Yes it's the Dutch type of being mellow... :huh: )

Anyway, were have you seen the promotional material? Perhaps the website, on which the article was posted, used the E3 material just because they can? And not because CDPR told them or provided that promotion material. But a awnser of the devs would clarify things... Doubt you get one, because we have had threads of over 200+ pages with only a handful of dev responses.

It's a really underhanded thing to do if the review copies of the game are in fact the final ones.

The official page for the Witcher 3 is positively littered with screenshots and video clips running as wallpapers which no longer actually represent how the game will look.

It feels.. actively malicious. And I'm someone who has defended CDPR very strongly on these forums in the past.

They put those screenshots there months ago, they probably didn't bother to swap them, why would they? It's not like there aren't hours of footage representative of the final game out there.

Most of the screenshots on the Steam page are of the current build. Only 2 of the 14 screenshots are from a previous build.

Most of the screenshots on the Steam page are of the current build. Only 2 of the 14 screenshots are from a previous build.
But those 2 images look better than what the game has to offer. Those 2 images could sway someone into buying the game.

Lining up 4 cars from a game, with 3 having 1k textures and the last having 8k - people are going to remember the best looking one if its put across as if they will be able to see it in game.

Well, actually, the overhaul of the website was less than a month ago. So that one at least was very, very deliberate.

Hello I am a gamer who likes to use hyperbole and outright lies to make a point so I can appear like a wise discerning customer standing against the tyranny of false advertising. Even though most of the so called claims being made have been proven to be false and misleading. But hey I like to argue.

There is 2013 screenshot of Fiend on the back of the game cover! See unboxing videos on youtube. Even recently in dev diary Monster Hunting they showed outdated Wild hunt scenes that now looks no where near that quality.

This will probably get moved : BUT - Money - money - money. It's marketing that is now acceptable in the gaming industry. Make your product look as good as you can, sell it as half the quality of your trailers, then have your dev go on a video and laugh at you for thinking the ' in game footage' trailer was actually real. (this is all true by the way - i'll post my source if needed)

In my Eyes this is nothing but scam.

Hello I am a gamer who likes to use hyperbole and outright lies to make a point so I can appear like a wise discerning customer standing against the tyranny of false advertising. Even though most of the so called claims being made have been proven to be false and misleading. But hey I like to argue.

QFT. Now that the sock puppets have been sent to the laundry, I'm going to reopen. This is on the specific topic of the screenshot comparisons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom