Why are lifepaths so disappointing?

+
I listened to what developers had to say about lifepaths in one of their interviews before the release and I understand why people are disappointed. What devs said about lifepaths is kind of truth, it's just the way they delivered this information is what made everyone think it's going to be something huge, like different lifepath equals almost different branch of the story. It's easy to misinterpret such things if they're only being told to you, especially when they're not explained fully in details (like it's not really going to change the main story if your character is nomad instead of corpo, just sometimes you will get "path specific" dialogue choices that help you get better or easier outcome in a certain quest). It's one of the reasons why other companies prefer to stay quiet rather than say things and get every gamer super hyped by making them create their own expectations that might become unrealistic. It's cool that they're gamer friendly company but that stuff can backfire.
I understand your point.
When I purchased the game it was already mentioned that V will be a merc, so I expected that at some moment everything will merge to one path. A merc just receives jobs and can go or work basically against anyone like other corpos, gangs and etc.

I was lead to believe lifepaths would "change how you play" and "make a heavy impact on gameplay"

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to realize that nothing changes besides your 5-10 minute intro into the game and a few different (almost meaningless) dialogue options.

Come on CDPR, lifepaths were supposed to make the game able to be played 3 different times, and all we got was a different dialogue option. Having a lifepath doesn't change how much money you start out with, your street cred, fame, or living situations.

I'm really quite let down with this useless feature.
my working theory is that part 2 was homogenized so that johnny silverhand would make sense. really wish we got to see the game they planned without him (nothing against him though, just a shame the managers at CDPR replaced the RPG with a celebrity).

I don't view the life paths as disappointing. They had very good narrative to them. However, there were many things that you could not explore. I have only played the NOMAD and a little bit of the CORPO. The intros are rather compelling and hook you in. But as you play through the game, you will notice that all the life paths lead back to ARASAKA. It would have been cool if ARASAKA was only the main ending to one of the life paths. I expected it to be more heavily tied to the CORPO life path. NOMAD was very realistic in the sense that you start off in the outskirts and then build your reputation in Night City. Over time you are met with dialogue options that allow you to choose the NOMAD way, or another personality entirely.

CORPO isn't all that bad either. It throws you right into a demanding work place environment. From the start you are introduced to your bass and he tells you that he has some seedy agenda that he wants you to carry out. Being a corporate associate, you already have a decent amount of cash in the bank. But it is taken from you at a very early stage and you wind up having to grind and sweat, just like the NOMAD life path. This through me off because, I thought that CORPO would have exposed us to a much more richer side of Night City. You start off traveling in luxury to Lizzy's Bar, then it is all stripped away within thirty seconds of sitting at the table with Jackie Welles. Entering Lizzy's Bar from the roof gave gamers the illusion of a CORPO V that should have been sitting in the V.I.P. and inviting her guest; Jackie Welles to join her. Shortly after that; being able to explore some of Night City with CORPO cash would have definitely been a good opportunity to reveal higher grade tech that is way too expensive for an early stage NOMAD or STREETKID V.

I always thought they were going to be DRAGON AGE: ORIGIN-esque anyway. You were always meant to be a Edgerunner since that's how the game is played.

They could have just left the intros out completely and stuck with them as background and the game wouldn't have changed.

Start the game at the surgery mission.

The only thing more disappointing that the lifepaths are the endings. It's not your typical "Good or bad" endings. it's "To what extent do you want the ending to be depressing?"

People expect a lot from CDPR, having three fully fleshed out "life paths" that are completely different has never happened before, even in Dragon Age it's still not what people expected, players need to be realistic, this is a video game, not a cluster of 3 mashed together in one title

People expect a lot from CDPR, having three fully fleshed out "life paths" that are completely different has never happened before, even in Dragon Age it's still not what people expected, players need to be realistic, this is a video game, not a cluster of 3 mashed together in one title
3 very different lifepaths = 3 games for the price of one, that would be great, for sure.
Realist or even possible ? Maybe (certainly) not :)

3 very different lifepaths = 3 games for the price of one, that would be great, for sure.
Realist or even possible ? Maybe (certainly) not :)
eh, its possible, and its been done. But it doesn't necessarily make it a better game. Saga Frontier series and probably octopath(never played it) come to mind for jrpgs.

Its a design/creative choice though, And you sacrifice certain things. The idea of this game was to put a variable main character into the same situation. The story/game/approach changes based on the player's choices. It wasn't the plan to create three unrelated different stories in the same universe. The games I have seen with multiple main stories generally have very fixed characters/stories.

Now I guess its literally theoretically possible to just make 3 different variable main character stories, but it would probably take another 6 years of development but only earn 1.5-2 times as much at best.

I kind of suspect that what was commonly imagined with the lifepaths, was something similar to Star Wars The Old Republic, where you start with a chosen class and you have a certain, separate storyline tailored to it. As far as I'm aware though, in that game these stories were rather simple, based on the same animations as the rest of the game, and the missions were rather schematic, as usually in an MMO.
Here in CP2077, if we wanted three separate story lines, with the level of detail and drama we got, the amount of time and resources to create them would be overwhelming. That's at least how I feel about it.
Post automatically merged:

The games I have seen with multiple main stories generally have very fixed characters/stories.
Out of curiosity, would it be possible if you could give some examples of such games with multiple main stories? I don't know many games and would be nice to maybe try some of these. Thank you.

Last edited:
Now I guess its literally theoretically possible to just make 3 different variable main character stories, but it would probably take another 6 years of development but only earn 1.5-2 times as much at best.
In fact that's exactly what I wanted to say (in very simple).
To have exactly the same quality but with 3 completely different lifepaths.

For example for Corpo V (the most obvious it seems to me).
- To have a "friend" other than Jackie (have a "Corpo friend").
- To do "The Heist" not for Dex, but for Arthur Jenkins.
- To search Alt not with the Voodoo Boys but directly with Netwatch.
- To work for Corpo "chiefs" instead of Fixers.
Basically a "similar" main story, but with completely different dialogues, quests, characters and locations.

Yes, it could be possible, even with this time of development. But instead of having Cyberpunk at 60 euros, you would have "Cyberpunk - Corpo" at 60 euros, "Cyberpunk - Street Kid" at 60 euros and "Cyberpunk - Nomad" at 60 euros (you have to choose one or buy the pack of 3 to 150 euros).
Out of curiosity, would it be possible if you could give some examples of such games with multiple main stories? I don't know many games and would be nice to maybe try some of these. Thank you.
Honestly, I don't remember a game with a quality story (for me), with multiple main stories (very different).

Yes, it could be possible, even with this time of development. But instead of having Cyberpunk at 60 euros, you would have "Cyberpunk - Corpo" at 60 euros, "Cyberpunk - Street Kid" at 60 euros and "Cyberpunk - Nomad" at 60 euros (you have to choose one or buy the pack of 3 to 150 euros).
Heh -- that's probably not far off. It's not so much creating the options...but the time spent creating the scenes that would be required.

I thought the life-paths offered a lot of grounding to the story and my vision of my V. I do agree that there were some opportunities that were missed to offer a few more lifepath options here and there, but I didn't ever feel that they were invisible. Especially playing as a Nomad, the whole Panam part felt quite significant to me during my playthrough. I'm going to do a street kid / brawler route next time, so I'll see if I notice any big differences.

i was seriously disappointed with this, but as they fix and add to the game, it would be nice if they added more to it, if not adding more lore friendly life paths, as well as ways for life paths to matter.

The lifepaths certainly don't have any big impact on the game, but I tried the 3 lifepaths and even with the small differences in some of the dialogs I can say that my favorite is the corpo rat. But yeah, it would be interesting to have at least more extra quests depending on the lifepath or some attribute bonuses for example.
Corpo is my fav as well.

I was lead to believe lifepaths would "change how you play" and "make a heavy impact on gameplay"

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to realize that nothing changes besides your 5-10 minute intro into the game and a few different (almost meaningless) dialogue options.

Come on CDPR, lifepaths were supposed to make the game able to be played 3 different times, and all we got was a different dialogue option. Having a lifepath doesn't change how much money you start out with, your street cred, fame, or living situations.

I'm really quite let down with this useless feature.
I think it is left overs or a quick fix from the initial design, when it was going to be an RPG. But as the game turned to an adventure game, it didn't really make sense with all the choices in the character creator. But now that they had already shown it and told people that it was an RPG first, it would have really pissed off people had they completely removed it.

So I think they threw it in there as a quick bandage trying to cover the fact that the game weren't really going to be the RPG game people thought, but telling people that they turned it into life path, which would play into the game would seem like the feature hadn't been removed, but simply "improved". Also I think it's fairly obvious from the lack of content that relate to life path, mostly it's a few dialog options which doesn't make any difference or its a couple of missions.

If you compare the current life path options, with the amount of different options you had in the initial design of how to create your character, it's pretty clear that a lot more thoughts and options had to go into this and in making the game more of a player choice driven experience with a reactive world, rather than the player being forced on a linear path.

Also my guess is that the first mission they presented with the Maelstroms was how they intended the missions to work originally. But when Keanu and Silverhand got added, the whole game turned from the initial player choosing their "life path" as in the initial design. To just choosing some generic life path as it is now and everyone forced into the Silverhand life path and everything had to revolve around Silverhand and in that case, life path didn't matter, because the game is not really about the player, but Silverhand.

The player is at no point involved in the Adam Smasher story, it's about Silverhand. The Heist is just a generic mission where the player does something wrong against the Arasaka, and then it's somehow weirdly turns into the Araska being the bad guys and Silverhand and his old crew want revenge, V have nothing to do with it, except being stuck with Silverhand. Imagine Silverhand was removed straight away after the Heist and there would be absolutely no motivation for V to get involved in the main story at all and hold a grudge again Arasaka or Smasher.

Last edited:
Lifepaths felt like Paragon-Renegade system in Mass Effect 3 - they meant jack shit. You basically choose the kind of trivia you will be getting out of conversations. One of the biggest let downs of CP77.

Guest 3847602

Also my guess is that the first mission they presented with the Maelstroms was how they intended the missions to work originally. But when Keanu and Silverhand got added, the whole game turned from the initial player choosing their "life path" as in the initial design. To just choosing some generic life path as it is now and everyone forced into the Silverhand life path and everything had to revolve around Silverhand and in the case life path didn't matter, because the game is not really about the player, but Silverhand.
Cool theory. Except for the fact that there's no "Silverhand path" in the game (you don't seek Evelyn, Brigitte, Hellman or Hanako because Johnny wants to, but because V's life is at stake). And the fact that lifepath in Cyberpunk PnP RPG amounts to customizing your character's origin story and background (exactly like in CP2077), not choosing which storyline you want to experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom