Why are people soo divisive on Witcher 3 combat?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 2081505

How is it pointless? I just showed a video blatantly showing how terrible the combat is. All of my points are identical to the video.

Come on, LordSnow, you're kidding. The only thing you can learn from this video is that it is possible to play TW3 very, very, very dilettantly. This isn't specific - you can do it with any other game.

Once again: Please make a video of your own gameplay. I'm really curious because I think that the fight against Dettlaff is a very good one. If you tell me that

Even the Arkham games which had braindead combat felt very fluid and had precise targeting. The TW3 combat is a clunky horrible mess.

then I'm afraid that I'm missing out the best games of the videoworld. Dreadful. Instruct me with your own video. Please.

On the other hand: In this form your post #77 isn't more than an insubstantial verbal injury. Hard to decide what is really accurate:

1. It could be a serious business. Then be explicit; the easiest way is your own video.

2, [EDITED OUT]

3. [EDITED OUT]

I have a hunch. Dispel my concerns, I beg you. Show me that option 1 is applicable. Pull up your socks and prove that you are more than a bull in the China shop. Make an impressive video of your best bossfight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, LordSnow, you're kidding. The only thing you can learn from this video is that it is possible to play TW3 very, very, very dilettantly. This isn't specific - you can do it with any other game.

Once again: Please make a video of your own gameplay. I'm really curious because I think that the fight against Dettlaff is a very good one. If you tell me that

then I'm afraid that I'm missing out the best games of the videoworld. Dreadful. Instruct me with your own video. Please.

On the other hand: In this form your post #77 isn't more than an insubstantial verbal injury. Hard to decide what is really accurate:

1. It could be a serious business. Then be explicit; the easiest way is your own video.

I have a hunch. Dispel my concerns, I beg you. Show me that option 1 is applicable. Pull up your socks and prove that you are more than a bull in the China shop. Make an impressive video of your best bossfight.

You've totally perfected the art of trolling trolls. Keep up the good work, good sir!

But: Back on topic!
Today I've started playing the witcher again, with my eyes on the last playthrough. I've started playing a bit on my old save to get the hang of it again, and I came across one of them white wyverns in Toussaint.

What fun that battle was! At first I was getting my ass handed to me, until slowly but surely my old witcher reflexes started to kick in, slinging spells, throwing bombs, switching up hard and fast, dodging and rolling, ...! Oh what a good time! This single creature alone showed me once again the greatness of the witcher 3 again. The solidity of the combat.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've totally perfected the art of trolling trolls. Keep up the good work, good sir!

Today I've started playing the witcher again, with my eyes on the last playthrough. I've started playing a bit on my old save to get the hang of it again, and I came across one of them white wyverns in Toussaint.

What fun that battle was! At first I was getting my ass handed to me, until slowly but surely my old witcher reflexes started to kick in, slinging spells, throwing bombs, switching up hard and fast, dodging and rolling, ...! Oh what a good time! This single creature alone showed me once again the greatness of the witcher 3 again. The solidity of the combat.
Speaking about wyverns, I accidentally killed one of them some days ago (level 14), playing level 4 Geralt on DeathMarch, PS4, with lvl 1 sword from White orchard and without any preparation or alchemy, slayed him just by spamming non-upgraded quen, food and strong attacks. I didn't want to fight him, but he chased me into the building flying through the walls and down the stairs. I didn't believed that I could defeat him, but was lazy to reload before death and so just spam same three buttons for few minutes.
I was so amazed by result and process of that battle, that even saved ("shared") it. I'll download it, and you'll see all "greatness and solidity". Yes, there are some monsters and bosses which can give you interesting fight, but 95% of the game can be defeated on highest difficulty just by spamming 4 buttons. (hit, dodge, quen, food).

Speaking about wyverns, I accidentally killed one of them some days ago (level 14), playing level 4 Geralt on DeathMarch, PS4, with lvl 1 sword from White orchard and without any preparation or alchemy, slayed him just by spamming non-upgraded quen, food and strong attacks. I didn't want to fight him, but he chased me into the building flying through the walls and down the stairs. I didn't believed that I could defeat him, but was lazy to reload before death and so just spam same three buttons for few minutes.
I was so amazed by result and process of that battle, that even saved ("shared") it. I'll download it, and you'll see all "greatness and solidity". Yes, there are some monsters and bosses which can give you interesting fight, but 95% of the game can be defeated on highest difficulty just by spamming 4 buttons. (hit, dodge, quen, food).

I'm not saying there aren't easy ways to defeat the game, but that is where you fail as a gamer. Instead of trying to enjoy the combat system that is given to you, instead of throwing in an yrden or a poison smoke bomb and trying to elegantly find your way around the enemy, you choose the easy way out. I'm sorry but that is just what is wrong with the critics of the combat system. You all choose the easy way out, instead of getting to grips with the finer points.
And the thing is, you probably do this in other games too. You can find some bug or exploit in 95% of games which will let you cheat your way through it. Just because you are a type of person that tries to find the easiest, laziest way, through the game (and... life?) instead of trying to find the most enjoyable way, does not mean that your criticism of this game or combat system is correct.

I'm not saying there aren't easy ways to defeat the game, but that is where you fail as a gamer. Instead of trying to enjoy the combat system that is given to you, instead of throwing in an yrden or a poison smoke bomb and trying to elegantly find your way around the enemy, you choose the easy way out. I'm sorry but that is just what is wrong with the critics of the combat system. You all choose the easy way out, instead of getting to grips with the finer points.
And the thing is, you probably do this in other games too. You can find some bug or exploit in 95% of games which will let you cheat your way through it. Just because you are a type of person that tries to find the easiest, laziest way, through the game (and... life?) instead of trying to find the most enjoyable way, does not mean that your criticism of this game or combat system is correct.
There was nothing easy in that way, that was 5-7 minutes of dodging and run between small rooms and stairs, with dancing camera, quens every 3 seconds and 2-3 strong strikes between all that. And if you made two errors in a row (made one more hit instead of quen) you'll be dead.. it was actually challenging and interesting because it was unexpected. But I for sure won't try that again.
Problem is that I didn't wanted to fight, I just wanted to steal wyvern's treasure (that was lighthouse with underwater entrance) and runaway, but in TW you can't open chest even if opponent is behind the wall when you are in battle mode. And you can't be sure that you can be safe behind that wall - because wyvern will flew through collision model somehow from a few tries.. So you can't steal-and-run and you can't hide behind the obstacle.. that are basic things from any action-RPG but they are not working in TW3 reliably..
And you don't have good bombs or alt. yrden on level 4.. in any other RPG you'll be momentarily slained by opponent which has 3 times more levels than you.. or you need to make a really good preparation with traps, consumables etc.. and if you'll manage to win you'll got a lot of XP and very good stuff.. here all your "elegant" ways are simply not working on enemies with much higher level (they have too high resistances).. but straight forward quen-hit-dodge is working and after a victory you'll receive random generated useless loot and tiny amount of XP.
So it is TW3's battle system as it is - unreliable, unrewarding, repetitive. It is not always like that - there are good battles here and there. But when monsters are flying through the walls in patched unmodded game on the console, sorry, I can't call that combat system "great and solid".. given beatiful open world and cool story, battle is "okay" as part of a whole game.. but it is definitely not a best TW3's part. Maybe on PC it feels more smooth and refined with mouse and keyboard..

How I am trolling? I liked the game but the combat was terrible and boring. The controls are unresponsive and terrible. The targeting system is shitty and lacks any accuracy. The attacks feels clumsy, longwinded and random. Theres no weight or impact when slicing enemies its very floaty like Skyrim. The hit boxes themselves are pretty terrible. You can't jump in combat mode. Combat mode gets activated by the game not by the player thats stupid. The combat itself is literally sign, heavy/light attack spam, dodge and roll for 100 hours thats boring. Dont know anyone who can defend this awful mess of a combat system.

Hello everyone,

I don't mean to deny the problems of the combat system, but I wanted to chime in to say that upon mastery, the combat can actually make for some spectacular sequences of gameplay. If you haven't seen it already, take a look at this short video (1:30 total).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6L8u3McW0" target="_blank">

Notice:
- The absence of haphazard rolls--each roll is deliberate
- The calculated dodging
- The poised and controlled parrying
- The flawless timing of the counters
- Diversity of attacks
- Studious use of equipment and signs
- The cold-blooded coup de grâce

The uploader (RaxRabbit) has also uploaded other boss battles. I encourage you to take a gander sometime.

Cheers.

Last edited:
we already discussed this to death in earlier threads, but her's my opinion

it does the job well, its not bad, its not awful, its just okey, it could have been amazing, but someone decided to turn geralt into a snail and slowdown everything , i hate how slow the doge is, and how generally everything feel trivial, from how combat feel and how it sound to how the camera are badly placed

they had a way better combat in the E3 builds, faster, more nervous and better camera placements, also better blood animation instead of the awful 2d splash textures currently in the game, but oh well

just increasing geralt doge and attack speed in general with a mod make it so much better, but then everything become extremely easy ( like it wasnt easy enough to begin with ) monsters and enemies are tuned for a slower geralt

Last edited:
we already discussed this to death in earlier threads, but her's my opinion

it does the job well, its not bad, its not awful, its just okey, it could have been amazing, but someone decided to turn geralt into a snail and slowdown everything , i hate how slow the doge is, and how generally everything feel trivial, from how combat feel and how it sound to how the camera are badly placed

they had a way better combat in the E3 builds, faster, more nervous and better camera placements, also better blood animation instead of the awful 2d splash textures currently in the game, but oh well

just increasing geralt doge and attack speed in general with a mod make it so much better, but then everything become extremely easy ( like it wasnt easy enough to begin with ) monsters and enemies are tuned for a slower geralt

Wow I looked at the old gameplay of game it does look much more fluid and quicker. Wtf was CDPR thinking? Who the hell thought making it clunky and slow was good? The animations look and feel slow and clumsy as hell.

https://youtu.be/BivVXw-NLTw

https://youtu.be/MeGGZON5gjE

https://youtu.be/dlq2t91ZUGw

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I don't mean to deny the problems of the combat system, but I wanted to chime in to say that upon mastery, the combat can actually make for some spectacular sequences of gameplay. If you haven't seen it already, take a look at this short video (1:30 total).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6L8u3McW0" target="_blank">

The uploader (RaxRabbit) has also uploaded other boss battles. I encourage you to take a gander sometime.

Cheers.

Holy shit, like a boss. Reminds me of this awesome TW2 bossfight:

I wished the games rewarded such expertise. Maybe with more loot or XP. Also, comparing these two vids is enlightening now that I see them back to back. Notice how many fewer tactic are required with TW3, which is my biggest complaint. It's too streamlined, too simplistic. It feels like combat design didn't get the same attention other areas of the game did. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't stand out in any way. It doesn't allow for those holy shit wow moments the last games did. It all comes down to the skill trees. TW3's skill tree is bloated with percentage increases and lacks dynamic abilities.

Last edited:
Holy shit, like a boss. Reminds me of this awesome TW2 bossfight:

I wished the games rewarded such expertise. Maybe with more loot or XP. Also, comparing these two vids is enlightening now that I see them back to back. Notice how many fewer tactic are required with TW3, which is my biggest complaint. It's too streamlined, too simplistic. It feels like combat design didn't get the same attention other areas of the game did. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't stand out in any way. It doesn't allow for those holy shit wow moments the last games did. It all comes down to the skill trees. TW3's skill tree is bloated with percentage increases and lacks dynamic abilities.

What are talking about even though I hate TW3 combat the TW2 had even more atrocious clunky awful combat lol. It felt like a terrible DS1 clone. No CDPR needs throw out everything they did in TW2 and TW3 for the future Witcher games in terms of combat. They should model something like Bloodborne and Dragons Dogma would that would be great.

Last edited:
Gotta love these constructive criticisms... :)

I mainly agree with @Garrison72. It only requires more options and some dynamism. Some people need to realize that not everyone wants to play a Bloodborne or Dark/Demon Souls clone combat in every game possible. Some diversity is always good. Also, the criticisms about those pirouettes and turns and dancing movements? Yeah, those are in the lore, in the books themselves. That's how witchers fight. It HAS to be in the game...

Gotta love these constructive criticisms... :)

I mainly agree with @Garrison72. It only requires more options and some dynamism. Some people need to realize that not everyone wants to play a Bloodborne or Dark/Demon Souls clone combat in every game possible. Some diversity is always good. Also, the criticisms about those pirouettes and turns and dancing movements? Yeah, those are in the lore, in the books themselves. That's how witchers fight. It HAS to be in the game...

You know, long time ago, when average screen resolution was 640x480 there were games such as Diablo or Might and Magic or Doom. There were no dodge, no pirouettes, no fancy graphics, no extensive lore, but somehow, through some talented gameplay design, battles were interesting and rewarding. I don't know why killing with chainsaw in Doom, sword slashing in Diablo or magic casting in M&M could keep you playing for hours so your mother was forced to hide your keyboard to save you from excess playing.. and why with all modern technologies, huge budget and hundreds of employees, 95% of battle in TW3 is boring routine.

Wait what do you mean? There are plenty of games with fast and fluid combat animations on consoles. Shadow of Mordor, Bloodborne and Nioh to name a few.

having the current animations are part of the downgrade, which is basically happened cause of consoles

the combat could benfit from group combat syle like it was for tw1, to be able to see and engage the enemies on the sides easier, anyway, i play on pc,
and i'm very satisfied with the combat and the game itself

Because the combat is above averange compared to most ARPGs, but way below averange compared to a good action game or obviously something like Dark Souls. However The Enhanced Edition mod makes the combat a billion times for fluid, challenging and rewarding. It is day and night, and going back to vanilla seems impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom