Why are people soo divisive on Witcher 3 combat?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people soo divisive on Witcher 3 combat?

I find it soo werid how people have radically different opinions on this games combat. People either love it and call it smooth while others call it a clunky, janky and a terrible mess.

I find it soo werid how people have radically different opinions on this games combat. People either love it and call it smooth while others call it a clunky, janky and a terrible mess.

I think it depends, if you play with Mouse+Keyboard or Controller! But for me as someone who play's The Witcher 3 with Mouse+Keyboard...i really can't say anything bad about the Combat System. It just feels good for me.

EXCEPT for indoor combat! God....indoor combat in this game is horrible! Not always...but often!

And yeah Roach of course...omg...the Roach mechanics are a complete disaster!

It's okay I guess, except for the fact you can't jump during combat which sometime lead to ridiculous situation like Geralt can't pass a tiny fence to fight the enemy.

I think it depends on your previous gaming experience.
Casual gamers who are mostly interested in exploring world and the story are generally satisfied with battle, but if you are used to more intense and skill dependent RPGs (Dark Souls series like obvious example), battles in TW3 are so-so.

To me the combat system feels fluid and responsive with both kb & m and a 360 controller.

The combat in the only other game I play (Skyrim) feels clunky now that I've gotten used to the combat in TW2 and TW3. :p

I won#t say its a bad combat system, but one, which lacks seriously depth and character development complexity to make usage of all of its potential that the Combat System could have provided for TW3 to make the Combat System much more fun and interesting.

The Combat System of TW3 is an absolute unbalanced mess, thats why people are saying its bad.
I've played through the Game on its hardest difficulty, Death March, and it hardly felt challenging at all.
How should a Game like TW3 be challenging, when you can permanently evade all attacks??
The only real challenging battles you have in this game with DM begin in the xpansion Content, there you finally start to see a serious change in the difficulty of the battles due to better A.I.s of the enemies and abilities of them, that make the combats more challengign and fun, that you seriously need to use also Decoctions and Potions, where in the vanilla game you could theoretically play it through in DM without using anythign at all, it still feels like an optionality for you, that you can use them if you want, to make things be done a bit quicke,r but neccessary to use the stuff you have? No.

But then come to get your first fights in DM B&W against a biug crowd of Giant Worms or Archespores or better a large Crowd of Kikimores, and you will be surprised, how you wil lget your ass kicked, if you dont use there all your abilities you can to survive in DM, becuase there these beasts all hit hard like trucks and can quickly kill you, if you dont use defensive decoctions ect .

This heavy unbalance is it, which makes for sure many people say, that this games combat system is bad, and in regard of the character developüment I can only agree to this....the combat system and large parts of the character development absolutely feel like, as if these areas of the game have seen the least love of the developer,s because it seems to be, that it was oen of the last thigns they worked on and run out of budget money to put more quality and content into it, to make the whole package aroudn these systems more complex and interestign to make usage of its potentials, because CDPR focused all their budget mainly on the world creation ,quests, voice actors, animations ect. and combat/charatcer developmetn god basically the short end of the stick.

Thats how i do see it now after playing through the game and being in B&W, having seen by now all gameplay mechanics and how they work together to get by now a complete picture of the games gameplay construction and how the mechanics work together.

Stuff like decoctions, monster drophies, runes and glphy seem to be all some kind of afterthought, which got basically added at the end of the game, because some dev seemd to have thought it would be nice to have these things in the game, but then they didn't put very much thought into the design of these things, which you can clearly see at the Trophies, where alot of them share the same more or less useless effects that make up for absolutely no difference, where they could have put into the game alot mroe useful and interestign effects, that you clearly can see in the combat having their effects, when you use them, so that huntign al kinds of monster trophies actually MAKES SENSE to increase this way your build diversity and give you more abilities and options how you can engage into combat and how you could profit from using all kinds of various monster trophies...

They even made it so far not possible to use the trophies as decorations to hang them onto walls in our own mansion in B&W Corvo Bianco, where we coudl hang them up like portraits on the walls, like that cat school witcher which collected trophies to hang them out in his hidehout for show.

Once you have played through the whole game basicaly you start to realize in so many thigns and places in this game, where CDPR has wasted alot of good potential to make this game even much better, than it already is xD.

The game has an epic story, awesome voice actors which give their charactrs really prsonality, a wonderful game world to xplore, but it still feels due to the lack of making usage of all its potentials it so empty. Best example for this is Skellige Island, or how I do call it by now.... Siren Orgy Islands, because once you're there, you will mostly see nothign else than 95% of all your tiem, than half nude sirens flying around you or their half nude step sisters, the Echidnas....(very creative *rolleyes*)

I think it depends on your previous gaming experience.
Casual gamers who are mostly interested in exploring world and the story are generally satisfied with battle, but if you are used to more intense and skill dependent RPGs (Dark Souls series like obvious example), battles in TW3 are so-so.

I can agree with this. I'm that casual gamer who likes the story and exploring more than combat. I also enjoy the combat in this game. It offers enough options but it isn't "everything". It's one good part of the game, but it's not the meaning of this game.

Pretty much as others have said, it's casual as shit and some people prefer combat being more than just helping the story along. I've liked The Witcher for a long time and it's always been a PC game to me, turning the difficulty on easy and using a controller is like a kick in the testicles.

As someone who hated Skyrim and thought Dark Souls was 'pretty good', there's nothing more enjoyable than slamming my keyboard when a drowner one-shots me and then stabbing the shit out of it when I revise my tactics. I know people who disregard my playstyle completely who play on story and sword with a controller and just rush in and keep trying until they kill the thing. It irks the shit out of me but I can understand why people play games like that.

I hated Skyrim so much when I was through with it, casual games are not my cup of tea.

Pretty much as others have said, it's casual as shit and some people prefer combat being more than just helping the story along. I've liked The Witcher for a long time and it's always been a PC game to me, turning the difficulty on easy and using a controller is like a kick in the testicles.

As someone who hated Skyrim and thought Dark Souls was 'pretty good', there's nothing more enjoyable than slamming my keyboard when a drowner one-shots me and then stabbing the shit out of it when I revise my tactics. I know people who disregard my playstyle completely who play on story and sword with a controller and just rush in and keep trying until they kill the thing. It irks the shit out of me but I can understand why people play games like that.

I hated Skyrim so much when I was through with it, casual games are not my cup of tea.

Did you really just said, that Skyrim is a "Casual" game?....come on...

the combat is very good, at least with moue and keyboard, there are enough keys to use potions and signs, hold tab to select signs or items, the only problem is the soft lock, it's slo to turn and see enemies on the sides and on the back, that's the only little problem in my opinion,
playing with controller, on the other hand, is limited, for it only has two potion slots, and using signs is a little slower,
but it depends on the patience and skill of the player

I don't get it either. The skill system allows for a very diverse pool of skills which alter it a lot. It's not perfect but its definitely good and its only flaws for me are: getting stuck on small objects and how slow the basic attacks are as opposed to how fast witchers should be.

I don't get it either. The skill system allows for a very diverse pool of skills which alter it a lot. It's not perfect but its definitely good and its only flaws for me are: getting stuck on small objects and how slow the basic attacks are as opposed to how fast witchers should be.

Yeah completely agree!

Guest 2081505

The skill system allows for a very diverse pool of skills which alter it a lot. It's not perfect but its definitely good...

I fully agree.

...how slow the basic attacks are as opposed to how fast witchers should be.

I didn't understand what you meant. I my eyes the control system is very precise - and my Geralt does exactly what he is meant to do. One example: Geralt lvl 1 out of the box vs. 4 drowners lvl 4; DL B&BB)

[video=youtube;f8VB-M0dv9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VB-M0dv9A[/video]

Well, I can call myself veteran of all Dark Souls games and many RPG's, so I think i have right to talk about combat in Witcher 3.

You may be surprised, but I think that combat is good, its the best combat that they have done yet. CDP Red has made some huge improvement since Wicher 2 (btw combat in W2 was huge joke, it was imprecise, unpleasant and roll dodges looked incredibly stupid). It was good decision to make this short dodge that looks kinda as dance move. If I remember correctly fighting style of witchers was described in books as a death's dance, so this is lore-friendly thing. Good job.

So I, a super anti-casual player can say that combat is good, ofc less than ideal, but its just job well done.

Last edited:
What I think:

People that played TW1 - TW3 = Love Combat of Witcher 3..

..like me and I'm even one of these people that love playing with Keyboard and Mouse, it just feels smoother and obviously aiming with the xbow and co. is easier. Why do these people love the combat? Probably because it was improved from game to game, I still remember how much I loved TW2 combat after TW1 was a great game with a "strange" combatsystem.

People that "came" from other RPGs like Dark Souls = Don't like the combat.
They expected to get a DS kind of combat and didn't get it.

That's how I explain it :D

What exactly do these : "casuals", "gaming veteran"...even mean? I remember playing something on 20$ "consoles"( plus you get around 500+ games on it, lol) that would eat a lot of "hardcore" games today.
Anyway, as hack'n'slash "veteran"... In comparison to high quality action games, Bayonetta, AK, DmC...it is without a doubt a lot more clumsy( lock on, camera, animations, inconsistent AI quality, encounter design).

Next to western action rpgs...it provides more tactical options, better monster variety and design, boss battles and variety( main game:meh, a lot better in DLC's), terrific sound design ( best gore sounds in any game, period), better animations and clean, satisfying visuals.
It can be easily torn apart when compared to best action games , but it's easily above any Bioware, Bethesda, Piranha Bytes and similar games I've played to date. Not a great compliment as western games at their best have so far played as mediocre action games.
Better than Amalur, any Creed, weaker than Mordor/Prince of Persia in my book.
I've posted way too many times what I'd improve, but in general: polish the system, add more depth to mechanics, synergy between abilities and make a Witcher feel like a damn Witcher...no expectations to turn him into Ryu Hayabusa here, but in general everything should flow faster( more aggressive enemy AI vs. much faster swordplay/animation transition) and a far more deadly game play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom