Why are pistols so overpowered ?

+
i have alot of crit chance , and dmg , and handgun perks for hs dmg, plus silent kill headshot, doing 30k to 160k crits. not even using max lvl revolver lvl 35 legendary. pretty strong since no monster can find you because silencers.

what are you talking about? i have the feeling the pistols are the weakest weapons of all of them. seemingly it just depends on how you build your skill tree...
Up to level 11 they are really good and their skills are nice , not to mention one of the good builds seems to be this one

Is it just me or are some weapons OP? I crafted an SMG and mods and the dam is over 1300 on a SMART GUN! Also, my armour mods are OP too with a rating over 2500.

Attachments

• Screenshot (406).png
    Screenshot (406).png
    3.3 MB · Views: 196
I felt like they're actually kinda weak, specially the ones that don't have a high rate of fire.

No, you do not see what I meant, I am not saying the pistols have to be weak, I think the huge machine guns and small but fast SM guns have to feel more or less BETTER than pistols

If the machine guns were all better than pistols, then they would be overpowered.

Personally, I love the shotguns. Nothing lowers an enemies DPS like knocking his ass on the ground.

A lot depends on what weapons you find as well. I lucked into one pistol that was a good 100 DPS over anything else I could get at the time (not iconic, just a random green with all the right mods and parts, I guess). I really wasn't expecting this game to be as balanced as say, Borderlands, though, so I'm good with it.

I've seen this same post for about every perk tree now. (Except cool, it's not cool)

Since most people are beating the game around the 25-30 lvl range, it looks like the intention was to just reward people for going hard in one tree.
If you max it out, your locked to a playstyle, but your amazing at it and OP.
But it's like that across the board.

Int you can suicide packs of enemies from a distance or behind walls. + A min +50% crit chance WHAT!

Body, you have a million hp and 2 extra lives on a short CD.

Reflex, samurai and pistol Gods.

Crafting and you always have crazy legendary a maxed out that scales with level.

So it seems you have enough time to play and scale well, then end game your just OP, but seems intended

Everything is OP and just mows down enemies if you build for it. Pointless discussion. This game isn't a shootout game.

It sorta is though or are you using harsh language to kill enemies?

Black Unicorn is my preferred method of execution. With sand mk3 you can kill 10 guys before the first 1 hits the floor.

The point is that everything is OP if you put some thought into what you're doing, so saying this and that is OP is dumb, the game is designed for tourists, not min-maxers and I'm ok with that.

All the people saying pistols aren't op are dumb as hell. With my build I can hit 500k headshots crits. And with my mods + pistol traits every single shot is a crit. My normal crits hit for about 30-60k depending on enemy distance and whether or not they are moving. The problem is that you can stack too many perks to improve pistols. A tech revolver takes advantage of both a high headshot multiplier and draws power from the engineering tree and from the handgun tree. Get together a comrade hammer for 100% activation on the double damage last shot perk and take a couple extra skills I couldn't fit and you can hit 1mil+
Post automatically merged:

Once you get to high enough levels pistols don't work anymore. They will literally do no damage to enemies. You'll need a weapon that's hitting for over a thousand damage a hit with massive crit chance.

Enemies get stat bloat so badly that they will be immune to hit under 1K damage because of armor.
This is just completely wrong. I can auto pilot through the game on the hardest difficulty with skippy because my headshots with a smart pistol that auto locks on heads do on average about 8k damage a shot without having any weapon mods added into the mix. I can take a low level burya or overture and one tap any enemy in the game with my perk distribution. And with crafting you can make weapons with an innate 80% crit chance and 200% crit damage, like I did for my revolver

Are they really that strong? Strong as in Silverhand strong?

I honestly don't doubt it. Once you unlock enough perks in a specific weapon tree, those weapons usually become very lethal.

Im wondering why pistols are so OP. Machine guns are supposed to be not just bigger but also normally do more dmg per bullet. But I guess for some balance reasons the bullet from any automatic weapon /of the same quality and level/ is in fact weaker than the one from a revolver and magazine pistol. Is it just balance ? But simple logic says the pistol or handgun as they call it must be weaker than all other ranged weapons ... Pistols have another hidden quality , well, it is not in fact hidden - the reload time is shorter. Now, the only reason I shoot with something that is not a pistol and not my unique rifle IS TO HAVE FUN AND VARIETY. If I play on hardest , I am sure I will choose pistols only +melee. What do you think ?
it's important to remember that revolvers have smaller chance to apply effects like burning, because of slower fire rate and reload.

Black Unicorn is my preferred method of execution. With sand mk3 you can kill 10 guys before the first 1 hits the floor.

The point is that everything is OP if you put some thought into what you're doing, so saying this and that is OP is dumb, the game is designed for tourists, not min-maxers and I'm ok with that.
I do not agree, for "tourists" you have normal difficulty, above that, the game should make sense in terms of mechanics optimization in my opinion.

Last edited:
Pfff, pistols OP. Please..... my sniper rifle hits for 1,5 million damage in headshot and my Satori katana hits for 70k power attack critical hit and my Suicide legendary hack one-shots enemies for 150k. My Assault rifle shots 3 shot burst fire, each bullet dealing 25k headshot dmg, that's 75k one burst.

Pistols are not OP. Everything is OP with Reflex and Cool+Cold Blood tree.

The only pistol that can really dish out damage close to these (not to sniper rifle lol but to Satori or assault rifle) is Overtune. But you have only 6 shots and can't shoot through walls.

I can.

Not to mention I can quick Hack through walls Contaigon (8K damage DOT on huge AOE for enemies) + Suicide (2 enemies insta kill) and clear out whole 2 floors of enemies before I even step into building.

That is all on very hard, level 45.

Last edited:
Pfff, pistols OP. Please..... my sniper rifle hits for 1,5 million damage in headshot and my Satori katana hits for 70k power attack critical hit and my Suicide legendary hack one-shots enemies for 150k. My Assault rifle shots 3 shot burst fire, each bullet dealing 25k headshot dmg, that's 75k one burst.

Pistols are not OP. Everything is OP with Reflex and Cool+Cold Blood tree.

The only pistol that can really dish out damage close to these (not to sniper rifle lol but to Satori or assault rifle) is Overtune. But you have only 6 shots and can't shoot through walls.

I can.

Not to mention I can quick Hack through walls Contaigon (8K damage DOT on huge AOE for enemies) + Suicide (2 enemies insta kill) and clear out whole 2 floors of enemies before I even step into building.

That is all on very hard, level 45.

To be fair, the game really only feels balanced to level 25-30 or so. You're really supposed to have passed the point of no return by then. Beyond that, you're becoming a god (with an even slightly well-thought out build), it's really just power creep IMO. The levels post-30, to me, feel like they are just power creep to let everyone be able to finish the game one way or another, regardless of difficulty.

A quadriplegic playing the game on a tablet with their tongue should be able to finish it at level 50 on Very Hard, if they just focus their build on a specific set of strengths. The average gamer can do the same at level 35 or so.

The game really needs some end-game replayability options for the end-game that let us use high-end builds. Singleplayer raids or equivalents etc. that make it worth playing beyond level 30 just to finish the story. NG++++ continuation would be entirely welcome too.

Beyond exploring the semi-pointless starting path dialog and the unreasonable limitations on romances, there's basically no reason to replay the game, so making it interesting/valuable to keep playing your same character should be a top priority.

Last edited:
Spec into the weapon of your choice, and they'll slaughter anything. The pistol is the first basic weapon you choose and is probably why you react. If you specced into rifles, then it would be very powerful compared to other weapons.

To be fair, the game really only feels balanced to level 25-30 or so. You're really supposed to have passed the point of no return by then. Beyond that, you're becoming a god (with an even slightly well-thought out build), it's really just power creep IMO. The levels post-30, to me, feel like they are just power creep to let everyone be able to finish the game one way or another, regardless of difficulty.

A quadriplegic playing the game on a tablet with their tongue should be able to finish it at level 50 on Very Hard, if they just focus their build on a specific set of strengths. The average gamer can do the same at level 35 or so.

I finished the game at level 25, and I was using pistol and rifle against Adam Smasher and Oda.

Then I went back to the save before the meeting at Embers, and are currently doing side-quests and finishing off what I didn't do. I even started to upgrade my gear and weapons after starting from that save.

1608359427990.png

Last edited:
Spec into the weapon of your choice, and they'll slaughter anything. The pistol is the first basic weapon you choose and is probably why you react. If you specced into rifles, then it would be very powerful compared to other weapons.

I finished the game at level 25, and I was using pistol and rifle against Adam Smasher and Oda.

Then I went back to the save before the meeting at Embers, and are currently doing side-quests and finishing off what I didn't do. I even started to upgrade my gear and weapons after starting from that save.

View attachment 11096924
Yeah, I mean that's my point. I finished it at 22 and kind of felt sleighted that that was the end-game.

Top Bottom