Why are pistols so overpowered ?

+
Im wondering why pistols are so OP. Machine guns are supposed to be not just bigger but also normally do more dmg per bullet. But I guess for some balance reasons the bullet from any automatic weapon /of the same quality and level/ is in fact weaker than the one from a revolver and magazine pistol. Is it just balance ? But simple logic says the pistol or handgun as they call it must be weaker than all other ranged weapons ... Pistols have another hidden quality , well, it is not in fact hidden - the reload time is shorter. Now, the only reason I shoot with something that is not a pistol and not my unique rifle IS TO HAVE FUN AND VARIETY. If I play on hardest , I am sure I will choose pistols only +melee. What do you think ?

I think the gun design is extremely well balanced. Assault rifles and submachine guns take less skill, as you can just hose targets down on full auto and they don't lose damage over distance. In fact, perks let them do more damage the farther away something is. Assault rifles and submachine guns also have perks for firing from behind cover, making them safer for straightforward assaults.

Revolvers have more headshot damage than most guns with a faster firing rate than sniper rifles, meaning they can exceed the theoretical kills-per-second of assault rifles and smg's at the cost of requiring more skill, while overture/stealth builds can let pistols be safe at the expense of stealth being a slow playstyle. Quite frankly, I am amazed at how well balanced the game is.

Last edited:
I have seen like five different threads, 'why are pistols overpowered' 'why is melee overpowered' 'why are sniper rifles overpowered'

Maybe because you sunk all your points into those weapons? I think the combat system in this game has a pretty alright design, the problem is that the game is a little too easy and the AI is brain-dead so you get to a certain point and anything seems overpowered if you have enough points in it.

I think weapons are pretty well balanced. My issue with balance is by the time you get really good perks, then good cyberware and epic weapons on top of that, you're pretty op regardless of whichever weapon(s) you're specialized in.

This is a single player game, so imo we don't need to worry so much about buffing or nerfing different types of weapons. But we do need a harder difficulty. The AI needs some better script too, but that can be patched in. No biggie.

Literally everything is op in this game, imo smart shotgun is the most op literally just so broken. but like every thing is op the npcs are trash and everything in the game is easy you can literally just quick hack ping and shoot everyone through walls with tech ar or a sniper. literally punch everyone to death and just keep healing its so easy. Only thing very hard mode does in the game is make npcs deal more damage they are still extremely dumb and bad.
Post automatically merged:

I have seen like five different threads, 'why are pistols overpowered' 'why is melee overpowered' 'why are sniper rifles overpowered'

Maybe because you sunk all your points into those weapons? I think the combat system in this game has a pretty alright design, the problem is that the game is a little too easy and the AI is brain-dead so you get to a certain point and anything seems overpowered if you have enough points in it.
Ye everything is and can be op the actual ai in the game is what is trash and doesn't matter at all what you do, especially when you can just infinitely heal,

I invested many perk points in Annihilate, while the only 2 points for Handguns was that quick draw perk. Still I found Handguns perfrom way better than my LMG or Shot Guns, from medium range to close range. Fast reload speed, high damage output, and if its a handgun with good head damage multiplier, then it can be used for long range combat as well. Meanwhile enter a combat with any shotgun except for the double barrel one is a promised doom for me.

I found a talking smartgun with the perk "scales to player level"

Game is over :D

Skippy is the real hero of Night City

To be fair, the game really only feels balanced to level 25-30 or so. You're really supposed to have passed the point of no return by then. Beyond that, you're becoming a god (with an even slightly well-thought out build), it's really just power creep IMO. The levels post-30, to me, feel like they are just power creep to let everyone be able to finish the game one way or another, regardless of difficulty.

A quadriplegic playing the game on a tablet with their tongue should be able to finish it at level 50 on Very Hard, if they just focus their build on a specific set of strengths. The average gamer can do the same at level 35 or so.

The game really needs some end-game replayability options for the end-game that let us use high-end builds. Singleplayer raids or equivalents etc. that make it worth playing beyond level 30 just to finish the story. NG++++ continuation would be entirely welcome too.

Beyond exploring the semi-pointless starting path dialog and the unreasonable limitations on romances, there's basically no reason to replay the game, so making it interesting/valuable to keep playing your same character should be a top priority.

Please my sniper rifle was doing 100k dmg on level 15 so don't tell me about balance level. I was already one-shoting enemies with katana for 10k damage in level 15.

Reflex and Cold Blood are broken. Simple as that. Game has no balance.

Dunno, but I kill 90% on enemies with a single slash of my katana. But I play on normal and do a strong attack to the head.

It depends on the weapon and the random stats it gets. I've had plenty of the same type of pistol have wildly varying stats (all of them being maxed out). The revolver I'm using now is doing some 1500+ DPS, while I've had the exact same revolver that only did about 400.

Im wondering why pistols are so OP. Machine guns are supposed to be not just bigger but also normally do more dmg per bullet. But I guess for some balance reasons the bullet from any automatic weapon /of the same quality and level/ is in fact weaker than the one from a revolver and magazine pistol. Is it just balance ? But simple logic says the pistol or handgun as they call it must be weaker than all other ranged weapons ... Pistols have another hidden quality , well, it is not in fact hidden - the reload time is shorter. Now, the only reason I shoot with something that is not a pistol and not my unique rifle IS TO HAVE FUN AND VARIETY. If I play on hardest , I am sure I will choose pistols only +melee. What do you think ?

I dont wanna play pistols with supressor so for me they dont deal enough damage right now :((

Pistols are not overpowered at all. Sniper rifles are overpowered, but I like them a lot. Hope they don't nerf them.
Snipers are supp.to BE MUCH BETTER than pistols and small machine guns and usually are associated with the best and safest way to kill a certain tagret and disappear. So YEAH, I am glad snipers are strong. They must be ! Do not forget all myths , all fairy tales, films, games etc. are based on reality even if we talk about sci-fi, or at least - there must be a grain of "internal realism ", like for example imagine if Frodo would go boxing with a giant orc in the Lord of The Rings, it would seem just too strange and it would not be accepted, I guess. That was just an exampke. But the same is important for me in CP and any RPG. Yes, it is a story about the future, yes, there is room for crazy stuff BUT there must be "interal realism " within this sci-fi world which seems so far from our own

Pistols are "over powered" ?

Damn... can I have you're pistol please, mine seems like a pea shooter.

It may seem like that at first, but you can stack so much headshot damage that a revolver like the Overture becomes an insta-kill weapon at sniper rifle ranges cause there's a perk in the pistol skill tree that removes dmg fall-off because of it's high headshot damage multiplier.

Pretty everything is overpowered as moment you you put skills in it. Its the goal, but even in very hard it make the game easy.

I have 0 perks on pistols and I deal almost 2k damage with a 20 bullet revolver epic quality can't remember if tech or power and I am on normal difficulty

Pistols/Revolvers hit hard, but there's no point in having so much damage when you're level 50 anyway.

I like the fact that pistols are a viable build for the game. So many other rpgs out there just relegate pistols to simple sidearms. In cyberpunk I can use them with a katana as a backup weapon. I am really liking how you can build a character in the game.

Top Bottom