Why can't we earn Thronebreaker in-game?

+
Thronebreaker seems like the only additional content in game. So, why can't we earn it by playing the game or completing specific tasks?

It's not worth ~$20 when the Witcher 3 (a AAA title) is selling for less and Thronebreaker is at most an indy. It's also pointless to be only about to earn card backs and borders in game. Having a few additional unlocked, great, having 50, who cares. It's annoying how the goalposts for what is good value keep getting moved. Also, sure a few superfans will go something like "the developers need to keep their jobs". Yeah, so find new ways to monetize content instead of trying to fool customers into thinking a card pack is actually worth ~$3 and Thronebreaker is ~$20.

Because you don't need Thronebreaker for anything in Gwent! It's basically an additional fun "pay what you want" kind of addition to the game.

It's a single player experience that gives cards that are not in any packs... Right now, other than buying packs, there is nothing of value to earn in game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
The thronebreaker cards can be crafted in Gwent, the standard version. If you really want the premium (just cosmetic), you need the game.

Thronebreaker is a full-fledged single-player game, and you are reducing it only to the bonus it gives in Gwent, which is a big mistake. There are plenty of players who have 0 interest in an online game like Gwent but loved Thronebreaker as another story in the Witcher world.

Comparing its price tag to Witcher 3 is another fallacy - TW3 might cost less now because it was released 5 years ago, when it released it costed a AAA's full price (around 60$/€) while Thronebreaker launched at an indie price (27€ here), and you can always wait for a 50% discount which has happened before and happens frequently, depending on platform.

It didn't sell well only because CD Projekt has very weird ways of marketing stuff. However, we are yet to see how it sells after the release on Switch and new influx of fans due to Gwent mobile and TV series.

Really?

The thronebreaker cards can be crafted in Gwent, the standard version. If you really want the premium (just cosmetic), you need the game.

Thronebreaker is a full-fledged single-player game, and you are reducing it only to the bonus it gives in Gwent, which is a big mistake. There are plenty of players who have 0 interest in an online game like Gwent but loved Thronebreaker as another story in the Witcher world.

Comparing its price tag to Witcher 3 is another fallacy - TW3 might cost less now because it was released 5 years ago, when it released it costed a AAA's full price (around 60$/€) while Thronebreaker launched at an indie price (27€ here), and you can always wait for a 50% discount which has happened before and happens frequently, depending on platform.
Could not have said it better myself, and I could not agree more.

There is a reason why Thronebreaker is also available on Steam and Nintendo Switch; it is not an expansion for GWENT, although that is what it was originally supposed to be, but very much a standalone RPG. That it provides bonuses for GWENT is just an additional, well, bonus.

20 euro (current price for me on both GOG and Steam) is not high considering the quality and amount of content that Thronebreaker has. GOG says that all players' average playtime is around 21 hours, which would mean around 1 hour/euro. I'm sitting at 87 hours and will hit 100 before I finish my second playthrough. :cool:

Being able to "earn" the game within GWENT would make exactly zero sense, especially since Thronebreaker cards can be crafted (just not the premium versions, but -- this was already mentioned but it's an important point -- premiums are purely cosmetic) and they don't even cost triple(?) the scraps anymore.

Top Bottom