Why Ciri could be the Witcher 4 protagonist (MEGA SPOILERS)

+
i could be very interesting, but ciri is an overpowered character, she can travel between worlds, destroy every living thing around her by just thinking,

It would be misleading to call Ciri a witcher, though.

She has no mutations, she doesn't fight with signs and she doesn't use two swords. She may be a battlemage but that doesn't make her a Witcher.

Besides, Ciri ever being the protagonist of a Witcher is precluded by 3 different endings, one in which she's the Empress of Nilfgaard so it's not like she can go on a journey and leave her Empire on hold and hope somebody doesn't usurp her while she's away.

I love Ciri, but these endings make it pretty clear that this is the conclusion to the world of Geralt of Rivia and any further titles will probably need to either do a time skip, be an entirely different character not from Geralt's circle, or take place before the current Witcher series.

I don't like prequels, so I hope they just do a time lapse or switch to the perspective of another character.

In older interviews like this one, CDPR did not exclude the possibility of Ciri becoming the main protagonist in a future Witcher game, although they always say that it is something that has not been decided yet. They do consistently state that The Witcher 3 is the end of Geralt's story. Personally, I would prefer a different (new) protagonist, rather than Ciri.

I think the problem with Ciri being the main protagonist in the next Witcher game is that, the players would have to be on board with playing as her for the entire game - and assuming that the next game is open world and as big as the Witcher 3 then you are looking at around a 50 hours main quest line, around 50 hours for the side quests and possible another 60 hours to do all the other secondary stuff (these are just estimates), so the question is would you like to play as Ciri with her personality for 160 or so hours (possibly more)?.

I rather play as someone new, i don't necessarily like the idea of playing as Ciri as the main protagonist (i think she is fine as a major character but not the main character, but that's just my preference) mainly because if CDPR announced the next witcher game and said Ciri was the protagonist then i probably wouldn't be as interested as i was for the Witcher 3. Also seeing all the posts and discussions on this forum, it does seem to be split between the people who want Ciri as the main protagonist, people who want to create a new character, and people who want neither but a new character with a backstory and such - so i don't have a good idea on what CDPR will do for the next witcher game and who knows maybe they will change the title call it something like "Kaer Morhen: Rebirth of the Witchers" or something that isn't necessarily called the "Witcher 4" and have a new character that isn't Geralt (or Ciri)......only time will tell.

Then again i am not adverse to the idea of playing as Ciri for the next game, i just prefer someone else.

It would be misleading to call Ciri a witcher, though.

She has no mutations, she doesn't fight with signs and she doesn't use two swords. She may be a battlemage but that doesn't make her a Witcher.

don't want to derail, but

she is considered a witcher for all intents and purposes and is also dubbed as such in the witcher ending of the game. being a witcher is a profession, so while she doesn't fit the traditional bill, she still holds the job position.

as for your personal feelings in regards to her leading the next Witcher title - it's up to CDPR to decide whether those doubts have any merit in changing the name of the franchise.

If there are going to be any more Witcher games, I'd prefer either a prequel with Geralt as the protagonist or an entirely new character if it's to take place after W3.

The main problem with Ciri is while she might be a "witcher" in job description, her play style would be much different. Mutagens, decoctions and (most) potions would be out, as her un-mutated body wouldn't be able to handle them. She also wouldn't have the enhanced senses of a witcher that Geralt used to track down monsters and people in W3.

And there's the issue of her powers, which would make a game with her as the protagonist very dull, IMO.

Why do you think that she is not able to become a witcher?
I know that the witcher's potions are not compatibility with women's body.but it's different for "Ciri"

her Elder Blood can solve it.

for her high-skill powers there is a choice:

when she become a witcher, her skills decrease alot. but she is able to create some potions by mixing her blood and some witcher potions that increase her power for limited time.

One for sure: since new comic it seems witcheress ending is canon and the later stories of Ciri can be expanded on this basis. Even if people chose empress ending, in the end of BaW Ciri still not sure if it her path so she always can abandon it and choose the life of witcher. So, Ciri now have solid basis for sequel without making people sad for ending they got may not fit it.

One for sure: since new comic it seems witcheress ending is canon

The comic does not tell anything about what is canon to The Witcher 4 (although I would personally prefer not to have more Witcher sequels at this point, to be honest, and would rather see new IPs from CDPR). And even if Ciri is a witcher in the next game - which may or may not even be made - it does not mean that the ending is canon, that is not the approach that was taken by the games in the past, they will have to explain how and why Ciri lost the throne and still became a witcher anyway.

Well, that is what i said. cdpr didn't wrote "and that how story was...". They can expand history whatever they like coz both good Ciri's endings are fit for this(if its official ofcourse. Would be nice if cdpr confirm it). Tbh i don't want Witcher 4 too, coz W3 ended just perfectly.
About past canons - I don't know if comic "Matters of Conscience" about Saskia could be taken as canon or not: it was published and it claim Geralt chose that particular way in Witcher 2 and to tie W2 to W3 showed us history in-between those games. Same as following comic - "Killing Monsters" that was same prequel to W3 story and particularly to cinematic trailer with same name. Also events of this comic-trailer were mentioned at least twice by npcs during in-game main quest (before comic release it was unclear what is Vesemir talking about). So I think it maybe taken as canon.
If you talk about new comic and those 3 Ciri's endings - everything is unofficial for now ofcourse but I think hint on "right" ending is in the 1 volume already - in main theme of volume to be clear
striga, and I believe it exactly same striga from Maribor Forest that was mentioned in the Ciri-witcher ending. In the game it was unclear why it was mentioned without possibility to expand this contract. Guess that how cdpr solved it for all wonderers
But I talking about "canon ending" more broadly -
Ciri is witcher(or at least claim she is), not empress and she is not dead(gladly)

Last edited:
As i already said.

We should just wait!
I makes no sense to discuss about that now, because right now all we know is that CDPR won't release any Witcher game in the next 5-10 years probably.

So save this Discuss for when the time has come!

A lot can or will change in that timeline. We have no idea how CDPR will deal with The Witcher in 5 years or more.

As i already said.

We should just wait!
I makes no sense to discuss about that now, because right now all we know is that CDPR won't release any Witcher game in the next 5-10 years probably.

So save this Discuss for when the time has come!

A lot can or will change in that timeline. We have no idea how CDPR will deal with The Witcher in 5 years or more.

We discussed this quite extensively in PM, I think Ciri would make an insanely great main protagonist. Following in her fathers footsteps as a Witcheress and getting involved in quests and contracts. Can also keep the story tied to her parents aswell, cameo appearances or quests. It would make sense because we play as a character we love and all the characters that we get to know over the books/games will be there and Ciri has a healthy relationship with all of them, especially Geralt/Yen. I think it would be fucking perfect, any decision by CDPR that isn't Ciri is frankly a mistake.

We discussed this quite extensively in PM, I think Ciri would make an insanely great main protagonist. Following in her fathers footsteps as a Witcheress and getting involved in quests and contracts. Can also keep the story tied to her parents aswell, cameo appearances or quests. It would make sense because we play as a character we love and all the characters that we get to know over the books/games will be there and Ciri has a healthy relationship with all of them, especially Geralt/Yen. I think it would be fucking perfect, any decision by CDPR that isn't Ciri is frankly a mistake.

As is said. I won't discuss about this topic anymore right now. ;)

Personally I do not wish another Witcher game to happen, but if CDPR years down the line decide to make another one and that it would be Ciri, I hope it would be a prequel to Witcher 3, I don't think she would offer an interesting story post-W3 without the involvement of Geralt and Yennefer.

But I would take Ciri any day over a blank character.

Personally I do not wish another Witcher game to happen, but if CDPR years down the line decide to make another one and that it would be Ciri, I hope it would be a prequel to Witcher 3, I don't think she would offer an interesting story post-W3 without the involvement of Geralt and Yennefer.

Not that I would want a sequel with Ciri, but I do not think the involvement of Geralt would be a requirement for an interesting story. In Wild Hunt, Ciri becomes independent, and after the ending, she lives separately from Geralt. Thus, a game with her could be more a of a new story, where her main role is no longer "the daughter" - she would have her own new friends, lover(s), enemies, and so on. In the games with Geralt, his parents play no role either, yet not many people complain about that. Not sure if there would be much point shoehorning Geralt&co. into a Ciri sequel for the sake of fan service (which may not even make sense depending on the locations of the new game vs. the different endings of TW3), and if he actually played a major role, then why not just make him the protagonist again ?

Thus, a game with her could be more a of a new story, where her main role is no longer "the daughter"

Nobody is labelling her as "The Daughter" when you play as her and we don't want her holding Geralt/Yens hand, which she doesn't anyway. We would follow her, following in the role of her father. But since Ciri was brought up with a family that she loved, whereas Geralt/Yennefer wasn't, there is no reason as to why she can't visit her parents at any point or talk to them. I think it would be great if we could follow Ciri as a protagonist, doing contracts, quests, exploring, romancing etc etc. But then later on in the game you need to visit Geralt/Yen for information/help on a certain subject. She trusts them more than anything so if she needs help solving something huge. You wouldn't need to make Geralt the protagonist again lol.

Not that I would want a sequel with Ciri, but I do not think the involvement of Geralt would be a requirement for an interesting story. In Wild Hunt, Ciri becomes independent, and after the ending, she lives separately from Geralt. Thus, a game with her could be more a of a new story, where her main role is no longer "the daughter" - she would have her own new friends, lover(s), enemies, and so on. In the games with Geralt, his parents play no role either, yet not many people complain about that. Not sure if there would be much point shoehorning Geralt&co. into a Ciri sequel for the sake of fan service (which may not even make sense depending on the locations of the new game vs. the different endings of TW3), and if he actually played a major role, then why not just make him the protagonist again ?

Like Mrwhitey998 said, they share a bond that even her going independent would not break, even if Ciri does not trust Yennefer anymore for some reason, for Geralt, he would feel if she was in real danger and would set out to help her no matter if she wanted to stay independent from him or not, Geralt never had a bond with his real parents, but even his mother saves his life when he almost lost it.

even if Ciri does not trust Yennefer anymore for some reason

Mistake by CDPR if you think that in anyway. She trusts her the same.

Like Mrwhitey998 said, they share a bond that even her going independent would not break,

Exactly. Ciri won't be in the shadow of them, she never was, she has always been independent. But she can always call upon them for help, guidance or comfort. It would to the overall appeal of the game.

Top Bottom