Why Ciri Nova is in the game?

+
I don't even get why people complain about this card honestly. I've had no real problem countering her at all, especially with the so underestimated Unseen Elder :p He drops Ciri: Nova? perfect xD 30 point swing for me coming right up :p Sure it will be some times that she has cost me the match, but she is just a finisher. A powerful one maybe but that's the point of finishers.

What I don't get is why is Tibor so weak comparatively. Now he doesn't strengthen, only gets boosted. He isn't immune either, which I hoped would be the case.

Anyway, she is not even THAT popular, considering that according to the Database she's been in 18.26% of ALL decks out there :)

Ciri:Nova isn't a particularly good card to base an entire game/deck on, and the only times it can't really be countered is if you don't have last say R3 or if you're behind by enough points that it doesn't matter if you do anyway - you can Scorch Nova and still lose, so I don't see what the fuss about this card is either tbh.

I'm sure at some point we've all been caught out by it (and it really sucks when you do get caught) but that's the very nature of that card. There are warning flags that Nova's coming - you just have to be aware of them....

Honestly, 25 points on a gold isn't all the OP, especially when you have to build your entire deck around it. She's pretty damn easy to counter with an igni or scorch, plus there's quite a few golds out there that get more than 25 value, and plenty of bronzes that can read over that power too. The ONLY problem I've ever faced with her is when the opponent has manipulated the create spy mechanic +summoning circle etc to get a big card advantage, at which point playing her as last card is not counterable. But even that isn't the fault of ciri nova, it's the fault of create spies :p

One small change she could get, if the last play finisher is really an issue for people, is maybe give her a truce tag so she only strengthens if neither player has passed. But that might be too much of a nerf on a card that doesn't really need one to begin with.

Gość

Ciri: Nova always easy to counter, says person playing broken Monsters xd

Because new players don't like thinking about stuff. They just put a huge card down and win. :)

Her drawback was supposed to be the limit to 2 of each bronzes but so many decks can easily pull this off, what with all the create stuff. So she's a no-drawback card, unlike Tibor.

Last edited:
K_4-far;n10204612 said:
Monsters is actually the only faction I've never played for real since I started playing Gwent. I don't know, I just can't relate to the faction. This last season I played Skellige, NR, Scoia and lately I was playing some old Spy NG. I tried a Ciri: Nova deck once, but didn't like it.

Gość

Theodrik;n10204862 said:
Monsters is actually the only faction I've never played for real since I started playing Gwent. I don't know, I just can't relate to the faction. This last season I played Skellige, NR, Scoia and lately I was playing some old Spy NG. I tried a Ciri: Nova deck once, but didn't like it.

Ciri: Nova kills the strategic part beyond deck building - way too easy 25 points and outplaying it requires specific counter in the end game you won't have. One card shouldn't power swing so much so easily. This kind of cards break the game.

K_4-far;n10204912 said:
Ciri: Nova kills the strategic part beyond deck building...

This is absolutely not true and if you had play with it, you should've know better, cause if you actually rely on this one card to win you the game - you are generally screwed royally. Is it there to help you win the game as a finisher? Hell yeah! This is the GENERAL idea. But such statement could be made for dozens of other cards. Every deck relies on a Finisher and she is just one among the many. But can you get to her to use her as a finisher? Can you retain your CA so she won't be Scorched into oblivion R3? Questions, questions...

I do find her problematic in decks like SK Bears that can pull her with Olaf R3 for 45 PTS with two turns, but this is not a problem of Ciri: Nova, but of the foundation of that same deck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing is always easy. It is just generally so. A Draug gives you 18 points on play with the right circumstances which is not too far behind. Plus it nullifies the caretaker's ability and vicovaro medics so let's nerf that too right?
Bottom Line. Monsters were never broken. They are highly situational. High Risk, high reward faction as they should be. If your strategy works (be it frost, consume, whatever), you can do wonders. If it gets shut down (nekkers killed, weather cleared), you'll lose far more easily than other factions.

Talking about whether monsters are broken is not the point of this thread however. Personally I haven't played Ciri: Nova but I've been struggling to find a solid deck with it. No matter what combination I think of I still have about 4 Bronze spots left.

Hm, I did find a bug with the Ciri: Nova card I think. The card says "no more than two copies in your starting deck" but adding more via the nekker card still breaks her ability... :(

AshesFall;n10223062 said:
Hm, I did find a bug with the Ciri: Nova card I think. The card says "no more than two copies in your starting deck" but adding more via the nekker card still breaks her ability... :(

The card text also means that you cannot have one copy of any Bronze card; you need exactly two copies of them all.

If you do have two of each Bronze and Nekker Warriors copying Nekkers (or whatever unit you use them on) breaks Nova, then it's definitely a bug that should be reported.

This and other cards I've encountered in casual games are like this. Some gold cards will only swing 10 to your favor, others swing 25+ with little set up. There is a serious balance issue with this game and it feels like it's forcing me to cough up money to get these obviously overpowered cards.

There is almost no chance of me winning against someone who's dumped a lot of cash into the game. I've been on a major losing streak after reaching level 10 and started to get paired with far more advanced players, where my cards simply cannot swing enough points to my favor.

Seems she's popular again; played against quite a few different decks (even a monsters/moonlight deck) with that card in it today in Ranked. I've found that most players that draw her initial mulligan, are reluctant to play her out R1, even if it means taking the round.... which kinda tells me that some decks are weak without this card as an R3 finisher. There's an ST deck going around with Francesca which guarantees Nova when you want it; I played against this deck 6 times today and it gets.... boring.

I think Ciri: Nova is fine (up to spy spam in the sense that if you go first and opponent plays a spy + you don't have counter-spy, there's a good chance that you either pass and opponent wins on equal cards with Ciri: Nova, or play and opponent passes up two cards). Ciri: Nova not that easy to use and has counters:

1) You have to run two of every bronze, which has deckbuilding costs. It's true that there're lots of playable bronzes, but a deck not relying on Ciri: Nova would be able to use all the best bronzes, which is still better than using all the playable ones.
2) You have to play with 26 cards (unless you're willing to drop a silver or gold). This not only makes it slightly less likely you draw Ciri: Nova itself, it also warns the opponent he's playing against Ciri: Nova which should allow him to prepare countermeasures.
3) Ciri: Nova is great if both players have only a couple of cards left in hand. But in a long round it's perfectly beatable.

The player playing against Ciri: Nova should see her coming and attempt to have the last play in round 3, which would allow her to be Scorched off the board. Alternatively he can also play for a long round 3, when a single 25-point card is more easily beatable. The player playing with Ciri: Nova has opposite aims and e.g. wants to bleed round 2 as much as possible. Either way the game remains interesting, and that's not counting the deckbuilding aspect of it which doubtless appeals to many.

So yes, I'm OK with Ciri: Nova up to the spy spam issue, where Ciri: Nova is a major offender since she can place so many points onto the board without setup. On the other hand, that's very much a problem with spies, not Ciri: Nova.

There are plenty of golds that aren't competitive (I have Succubus and Chupe's Bizarre Adventure), and the fact that a card like this can been played at high level just makes it worse. I'm level 19 atm and I've only been playing casual since the end of last season, and in the 12 games I've played today trying to get my 18 round wins, she was the finisher in 8 of those games. I only won 2 of them, and both were because I had a huge card advantage. There is no card in my entire collection that has an answer to it except Dudu. I almost feel pressured to get it myself as I can construct a deck without needing 3 of each card.

Ciri:Nova
11 Power
If your deck contains exactly two of each bronze card, boost by 14 if your are holding another bronze card.

fatesDecision;n10248662 said:
There are plenty of golds that aren't competitive (I have Succubus and Chupe's Bizarre Adventure), and the fact that a card like this can been played at high level just makes it worse. I'm level 19 atm and I've only been playing casual since the end of last season, and in the 12 games I've played today trying to get my 18 round wins, she was the finisher in 8 of those games. I only won 2 of them, and both were because I had a huge card advantage. There is no card in my entire collection that has an answer to it except Dudu. I almost feel pressured to get it myself as I can construct a deck without needing 3 of each card.

Ciri:Nova
11 Power
If your deck contains exactly two of each bronze card, boost by 14 if your are holding another bronze card.

^ Succubus vs. Ciri: Nova - hold Succubus to second last card, then keep a move card (Drowner, Caranthir, etc). Play Succ. Opponent plays Ciri: Nova. Play your move card and take the Ciri: Nova. Hard to see you losing.

Also isn't Scorch a starter card?

Maybe if she got boosted for every card left in your deck (to a max of 25).
That way she would be more of a way to try and pull in the 1st round instead of always seeing her as the last card.
I still beat her about 50-60% of the time, but like many more have said: it is a boring card.
I for one never gg a nova player ;)

Top Bottom