Why Ciri Nova is in the game?

+
Strongly recommend crafting Scorch ASAP then, unless you're a Monsters player in which case Succubus can substitute to some extent and you might have more pressing priorities. Scorch is one of the game's best spells. It's useful in any deck except those looking to play its own very-big units. It's further a neutral card, and it's silver making it relatively cheap to craft.

I doubt your change to Ciri: Nova would keep it viable. By forcing Ciri: Nova to be played as second-last card, you're very vulnerable to Scorch effects which you cannot beat unless you're going into the last round with card advantage (not likely). When a win condition can be answered this easily by a card as ubiquitous as Scorch, the deck is not likely to be competitive.

Finally I'd like to stress, don't look down on Succubus. The card's value waxes and wanes with the meta, but it was a completely competitive choice last patch (see https://www.gwentdb.com/decks/37155-succubus-to-gm-trancenergys-4-5k-eredin-list). With it you already have a card that can answer Ciri: Nova. Use it.

TheEpicWhale;n10248842 said:
Maybe if she got boosted for every card left in your deck (to a max of 25).
That way she would be more of a way to try and pull in the 1st round instead of always seeing her as the last card.
I still beat her about 50-60% of the time, but like many more have said: it is a boring card.
I for one never gg a nova player ;)

Boring or not, it takes thought and skill to play a Nova deck. Exactly having 2x of each bronze is a big limitation.

Yeah its so clever to cry about vanilla Geralt+10 points when we have 15-20 points bronze cards in the game o\

Jeydra;n10248872 said:
Strongly recommend crafting Scorch ASAP then, unless you're a Monsters player in which case Succubus can substitute to some extent and you might have more pressing priorities. Scorch is one of the game's best spells. It's useful in any deck except those looking to play its own very-big units. It's further a neutral card, and it's silver making it relatively cheap to craft.

I doubt your change to Ciri: Nova would keep it viable. By forcing Ciri: Nova to be played as second-last card, you're very vulnerable to Scorch effects which you cannot beat unless you're going into the last round with card advantage (not likely). When a win condition can be answered this easily by a card as ubiquitous as Scorch, the deck is not likely to be competitive.

Finally I'd like to stress, don't look down on Succubus. The card's value waxes and wanes with the meta, but it was a completely competitive choice last patch (see https://www.gwentdb.com/decks/37155-succubus-to-gm-trancenergys-4-5k-eredin-list). With it you already have a card that can answer Ciri: Nova. Use it.

Aside from the easy answers to succubus how is someone supposed to use succubus on Nova if it's played last? You would need a two card advantage right?

ZenaRose;n10249392 said:
Yeah its so clever to cry about vanilla Geralt+10 points when we have 15-20 points bronze cards in the game o\

It's amazing that they haven't buffed geralt enough to make it playable.

Philologus;n10248952 said:
Boring or not, it takes thought and skill to play a Nova deck. Exactly having 2x of each bronze is a big limitation.

No, not really. This meta is more about just playing for points without much synergies that there are a quite a few leaders there it doesn't really hurt you to only have 2 of each bronze. Esspecially King Bran or Dagon are just better using Nova. Probably the hardest part is to find the best possible combination, but netdecking solves this problem anyway,

StrykerxS77x;n10249462 said:
Aside from the easy answers to succubus how is someone supposed to use succubus on Nova if it's played last? You would need a two card advantage right?

Yes, Succubus is high-risk high-reward. Hence her value waxes and wanes depending on how much interaction the opponent is running.

About using Succubus on Ciri: Nova - you must have the last play (i.e. you are entering round 3 on equal cards with opponent going first, or better). With 2 cards left in your hand, play Succubus. Opponent has only one card, so they must play Ciri: Nova. Then you play a move card (Drowner, Caranthir, etc) to move Ciri: Nova into the Succubus row.

The problem with Ciri nova isn't the card itself but Silver spies/coin flip that makes having the card advantage too easy if your opponent loses it or don't run/draw SP.

This aside I do admit the requirement for making her work isn't a problem at all, anyone who has a little experience in deck building will easily find a set up that work with only 2 copies of each bronze in their deck. I haven't tried yet but 'm pretty sure I can make a functional Nova deck out of any single leader in the game.

I wouldn't complain if she get nerfed a little bit, even if I don't find it necessary. However, it's kinda punishing the wrong person since the real card that needs to be nerfed/changed are the Silver spies.

Ah and she's boring to play for the opponent, not for the player who run her. Making a Nova deck is fairly fun despite not being really challenging.

BornBoring;n10250002 said:
No, not really. This meta is more about just playing for points without much synergies that there are a quite a few leaders there it doesn't really hurt you to only have 2 of each bronze. Esspecially King Bran or Dagon are just better using Nova. Probably the hardest part is to find the best possible combination, but netdecking solves this problem anyway,

Uh.. look.. you telling me it's not that difficult is a bit presumptuous. I play NR exclusively, and believe me, it was a challenge to build a competitive deck using Ciri:Nova. NR bronzes don't have much synergy outside of machines and the (crippled) cursed archetype, and so it's best bet is brute force. Try doing that with a 2x bronze limit. (Not what I do.. but it's the most obvious option for NR)

GenLiu;n10250192 said:
The problem with Ciri nova isn't the card itself but Silver spies/coin flip that makes having the card advantage too easy if your opponent loses it or don't run/draw SP.

This aside I do admit the requirement for making her work isn't a problem at all, anyone who has a little experience in deck building will easily find a set up that work with only 2 copies of each bronze in their deck. I haven't tried yet but 'm pretty sure I can make a functional Nova deck out of any single leader in the game.

I wouldn't complain if she get nerfed a little bit, even if I don't find it necessary. However, it's kinda punishing the wrong person since the real card that needs to be nerfed/changed are the Silver spies.

Ah and she's boring to play for the opponent, not for the player who run her. Making a Nova deck is fairly fun despite not being really challenging.

Lol.. Okay Gen. I tell you what.. go make a NR CN deck, and then let's play one-another. I want to see how "easy" it is, for you.

The best use of Ciri nova I have ever seen is by making her resilient. highest base strength makes it super effective.

Other than that I do not find her strong but as a last card she is very annoying to deal with. Then again you can easily get a 25 point swing if you plan out your actions correctly in this game so I wouldn't be too annoyed at the fact of this card being like that.

Philologus;n10252002 said:
Lol.. Okay Gen. I tell you what.. go make a NR CN deck, and then let's play one-another. I want to see how "easy" it is, for you.

Well, I already have a Radovid Shupe deck which makes wonders so a Nova equivalent would be even easier.
But you're probably thinking about Henselt, which is the most difficult one to make work, I give you that much. I've never said it's easy to make with every leader, I said it's so easy to make a Nova deck that you can do it with every leader (some being more challenging to make work than some others).

That said, It's possible to win with a Henselt Nova deck 1OO% especially in a world where Winch is a thing. It's definitely a challenge build but it's possible to make.

Philologus;n10251982 said:
Uh.. look.. you telling me it's not that difficult is a bit presumptuous. I play NR exclusively, and believe me, it was a challenge to build a competitive deck using Ciri:Nova. NR bronzes don't have much synergy outside of machines and the (crippled) cursed archetype, and so it's best bet is brute force. Try doing that with a 2x bronze limit. (Not what I do.. but it's the most obvious option for NR)

I mean, sure, NR ciri:nova is slightly more complicated than some of the other factions, but she's still strong with archetypes like machine. Plus you can't really claim making a ciri deck is hard by giving the most difficult example, when she works in other factions with ease. NR are a faction often more built around synergising with multiple units. If you want to build a NR nova, then fine, good for you. But you're knowingly giving yourself that handicap from the offset. It's like saying a game is super hard but oh by the way you're playing it on the extra hard mode.

I'm not saying Ciri is an easy card to play or that her decks are easy to make, but I'm also not suggesting she's difficult either. Building 2 bronze decks is pretty workable in most factions. Same deal with shupe, it's doable in every faction but there are clearly some factions that deal better with single bronzes than others (aka ST shupe is easy as hell, NR shupe is a lot more challenging).

She's okay. I don't think she's a fun card to play against, and I do think it's annoying when the opponent gains CA over you so you can't counter her as a final play, but even then there's ways to win. 25 str gold in the current meta isn't hugely OP, honestly. Not when you can make 20-25 point swings with some bronze and silvers pretty easily (looking at you, consume and dwarves xD).

GenLiu;n10252102 said:
Well, I already have a Radovid Shupe deck which makes wonders so a Nova equivalent would be even easier.
But you're probably thinking about Henselt, which is the most difficult one to make work, I give you that much. I've never said it's easy to make with every leader, I said it's so easy to make a Nova deck that you can do it with every leader (some being more challenging to make work than some others).

That said, It's possible to win with a Henselt Nova deck 1OO% especially in a world where Winch is a thing. It's definitely a challenge build but it's possible to make.

I wouldn't know. I don't net-deck. The CN deck I have tends to beat Henselt-based machine decks >50%. Henselt machine decks are too predictable, IMO.

I have great respect for anyone who runs a competitive Shupe deck, even if it's a net-deck. I imagine Shupe decks are not easy to pilot.

Last edited:
On paper I really like the idea behind cards like Shupe and Ciri Nova and it might even works well with a more limited card pool. However, the more cards we have, the more synergies there will be between different cards. Having three cards of certain types is just going to be less and less relevant and in some cases two of each kind (or even one of each kind...) will be just fine.

So for me it's logical that cards like that will backfire sooner or later. And frankly, I think both cards (Shupe and Nova) already work too well in certain constellations, I do think that these cards need to be toned down a bit. But I know that a lot of people will not share my opinion. And yes, in some decks it's challenging to get Ciri Nova, or even Shupe to work.

Bondonkadonk;n10252172 said:
I mean, sure, NR ciri:nova is slightly more complicated than some of the other factions, but she's still strong with archetypes like machine. Plus you can't really claim making a ciri deck is hard by giving the most difficult example, when she works in other factions with ease. NR are a faction often more built around synergising with multiple units. If you want to build a NR nova, then fine, good for you. But you're knowingly giving yourself that handicap from the offset. It's like saying a game is super hard but oh by the way you're playing it on the extra hard mode.

That's true. I only play NR, and of course, it's a choice. I don't agree with the idea that NR has synergy compared to other factions, and in fact, if one were to compare bronzes across factions, it would be obvious that NR is the most crippled faction due to lack of synergy. However, I suppose that's off-topic. I'll take your word that it's easy to build CN decks from the other factions.

TheEpicWhale;n10248842 said:
Maybe if she got boosted for every card left in your deck (to a max of 25).
That way she would be more of a way to try and pull in the 1st round instead of always seeing her as the last card.
I still beat her about 50-60% of the time, but like many more have said: it is a boring card.
I for one never gg a nova player ;)

Yeah this is a way better idea. She could still be used as a finisher, but you'd have to play a 38/39 card deck

I think her actual purpose was to achieve more deck diversity but it seems to have the opposite effect. The meta seems to be: Dwarves, Nova,nekker, dwarves, a few spies and alchemy NG, dwarves, nova, a few ST shupe and axemen decks, nova and dwarves.

They probably looked at HS and though, yeah why do something creative when we can steal their mechanics? We'll print Discover, and Highlander, but wait we can have 2 versions of that here because of 3 bronzed per deck, so let's have Shupe and Ciri as well. What can I say...

The card is way to OP. Remember Tibor Eggebracht? He gets 25 point, but the opponent draws one card. That's a major setback, while Ciri does the exact same, but has no setback. It's ridiculous how unbalanced the game is in it's current state.

Top Bottom