Why "Ciri Witcher" is not a good ending in my view (spoilers)

+
I have just finished the game, got an ending where Ciri becomes a witcher, Emhyr wins and Geralt stays alone. Now I am doing my second play-through to get a canon (in my view) ending: Geralt with Yen, Ciri is Emperess. Let me share my thoughts why "Witcher" ending is not the best, not for Ciri, nor for Geralt.

1. Ciri is not a true witcher. Don't recall where (book or game), but Geralt once said she was never to be as good as him. No matter how much he was teaching her, shes only half-witcher, missing on a physical part. Remember the book scene where Geralt's life was saved only cause he had ability to slow-down body functions being mortally wounded? Ciri does not have that. She cant use elixirs. This is bound to end bad, with just a single wound, which witchers usually get plenty.

2. I was really surprised how unfinished was ending "Ciri witcher - Emhyr lives". Emhyr was searching relentlessly for her for 20 years. No way he would trust Geralt on his word that Ciri was dead. And that phrase about Ciri becoming famous? She would draw Emhyr attention at once, becoming a hunted prey once again. And Geralt would never rest easy with Yen/Triss as Emhyr would never forgive him his lie until Geralt is dead.

3. Even if Emhyr leaves Ciri alone (which is very unlikely) or Emhyr dies, lets not forget that Ciri is a rightful heir to the throne. From the book we know how exiled Emhyr reclaimed the throne from usurper. Those planning to take over after Emhyr wont let Ciri live cause of that. Like in a book when kings of the North decided that Ciri has to die, just in case.

So looks like "Ciri witcher" will lead to Ciri's death in any case, from assassins or monsters, and Geralt's as well in case Emhyr lives. Even if they somehow manage to avoid it, this means a life of constant running and hiding, far from that idyllic life we are being shown in the ending. Ofc it is much better then ME3 ending, but still far from well-thought.

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but Ciri ending up doing Witcher's work isn't just an option for the game, it's what she ends up doing at the end of the book series. So, it's entirely consistent with her book character.

So you never once herad someone say something sarcastically yet it be the truth?

What about something like: "The American people have said sarcatically that Obama is the best president ever."

Doesn't mean he wasn't a president.

Merriam-Webster: "Sarcasm - the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny."

The example which you gave bears no similarity to what Ciri is saying, so I won't even touch that.

Now if what you claim is true that Geralt and Yen are both dead and never come back then that means everything in the games is bogus. No one could ever claim anything from the games mean squat. Ther is no basis for Triss vs. Yen. No basis for a new Nilfgaard war. No basis for Ciri being empress. No basis for the witch hunts. Nothing. Everything is fictitious.

I did not say that they "never come back." In fact, I wrote in post #66 (and you quoted me saying this) that "Geralt is killed at the Rivian pogrom in Sapkowski's stories (this isn't really a spoiler, since the opening of the first game directly addresses this). CDPR brought him back, and the games are their interpretation of what Geralt's life might be like in the ensuing years, after the events of the novels."

There are multiple points in the game where Ciri and others explain how Geralt and Yennefer were deposited on the Isle of Avalon, and in the World of the Witcher book by CDPR, it states on page 164 that "Ciri, in a last desperate bid to save them both, transported Geralt and Yennefer somewhere outside of our time and space, then disappeared herself from this world."

And that then means you can NEVER ever reference the books to say this or that is legit in the games because they have zero relationship in what happens from the start of the games. You can only say int he past thing A happened. But it has zero impact about any decision, event, occurrence that happens int he game. Triss is NOT manipulative because Geralt is dead and there is no Geralt. You can't link in any of her past characteristics so support or deny any motive. Same for Yen and all the other characters.

No offense, but I find it ironic that a person who constantly has recourse to wikipedia, who has admitted to not even knowing that the books are translated into English and has made no to effort to procure said books, is lecturing me about reading Sapkowski. I have read the books. I make reference to them when it is appropriate, and I understand that they form the basis of what comes before the Witcher games.

I think I'll just use this quote from here out:

"Witcher games are fanfictions it shouldn't be mixed with the books story"

Go ahead and use that quote. You're just paraphrasing Sapkowski himself. He said the exact same thing, only with more words.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-of-the-witcher-books-thinks-about-the-games

The game - with all due respect to it, but let's finally say it openly - is not an 'alternative version', nor a sequel. The game is a free adaptation containing elements of my work; an adaptation created by different authors. Adaptations - although they can in a way relate to the story told in the books - can never aspire to the role of a follow-up. They can never add prologues nor prequels, let alone epilogues and sequels. Maybe it's time to set the matters straight. The Witcher is a well made video game, its success is well deserved and the creators deserve all the splendour and honour due. But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski.

Last edited:
For the love of God people, let those who enjoy happy endings get happy endings. There was literally nothing wrong with Ciri Witcher ending. You're trying to make something wrong with it for God-knows what reason. But it's a reason I will not comprehend regardless. You have the happy ending, the bitter sweet ending, and the ending which is the anti-thesis to uplifting. You people are looking at Gold but second-guessing it by assuming it's really just shiny, expired butter.

How about not assuming every thing has an ulterior motive or looking at the glass half empty for ONCE. PLEASE. I am imploring you. I am prostrating myself on the ground and begging you to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. Would you rather had all the endings be like those found in Mass Effect 3? God there is no pleasing you people. .

As for Sapkowski, I don't agree with how he said it, but he is right regardless. That is, until he perhaps shows some consideration for others and proclaims something is canon outside of his work. Authors CAN do that. I seriously doubt he ever will though. Some people cling so tightly so their creations they can't help it. And honestly, I don't fault him for that.

Last edited:
For the love of God people, let those who enjoy happy endings get happy endings. There was literally nothing wrong with Ciri Witcher ending. You're trying to make something wrong with it for God-knows what reason. But it's a reason I will not comprehend regardless. You have the happy ending, the bitter sweet ending, and the ending which is the anti-thesis to uplifting. You people are looking at Gold but second-guessing it by assuming it's really just shiny, expired butter.

How about not assuming every thing has an ulterior motive or looking at the glass half empty for ONCE. PLEASE. I am imploring you. I am prostrating myself on the ground and begging you to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. Would you rather had all the endings be like those found in Mass Effect 3? God there is no pleasing you people. .

As for Sapkowski, I don't agree with how he said it, but he is right regardless. That is, until he perhaps shows some consideration for others and proclaims something is canon outside of his work. Authors CAN do that. I seriously doubt he ever will though. Some people cling so tightly so their creations they can't help it. And honestly, I don't fault him for that.

I don't know to whom you are referring, but I'll speak for myself and say that I am merely trying to defend the legitimacy of all three endings, and point out the reasons why I, personally, chose Ciri as empress. I'm not trying to invalidate your playthrough, nor is that even possible. If someone, e.g. Goodmongo, is using questionable evidence and unsound reasoning to declare that one ending is canon, I'm going to call them out. No need to prostrate yourself.

:cheers4:

One more bit on the topic of the "marriage", it is referenced in the first game when a bard talks about Dandelion's ballads, although that also agrees with it being only a tale:

"Nonsense. Everyone knows Geralt married a sorceress and they live somewhere on the happy isles."

For me Ciri-the witcher is the best ending. She made enought sacrifices in both book and the game to earn that. Turning her to emperor is in all terms a betrayal. She will live her life as a political tool in the golden cage the whole life. For what-for ungratefull peasants and nobles who absolutely dont care about her? Hell no.:angry2:

I just get the feeling from the books that the entire Witcher culture is dead and once the few remaining Witchers die there will be no more. Ciri would make a very good Witcher as she has magic powers that can over come the lack of mutations. Yet being as young as she is I would think becoming a Withcer would doom her to a very lonely and futile live. I get the feeling that even Geralt would rather not be a Witcher, but he accepts his fate and does the best he can.

I think Ciri would make a great Empress and no one is going to be able to 'control' her. She might hate it but few people in our world or the Witcher's world get the kind of life they truly want. Life gives us all things we would rather not have to deal with but we really have just a few choices, do the best we can with what is given us, or just give up. Ciri is not a give up type of person and would make the best of whatever came her way.

Finally I can read this thread without stumbling over spoilers :D Have finished the game yesterday and got this ending - and I'm perfectly happy with it, for various reasons:
- Ciri lives. When Geralt told Emhyr that Ciri had died, I was like "WTF??? Noooooooooooo she can't be dead - not after all these hours of gaming!" When Geralt got the sword, I suspected that he might have lied to Emhyr and was very happy (and very close to tears) when I found out that, yes, Geralt has lied to Emhyr.

- Geralt lives. I couldn't have dealt with an ending in which both Ciri and Geralt die. Also, I don't see how Geralt could live on knowing that Ciri is dead. If I had gotten the ending with Geralt dying, I think I would have started a NG right away in order to correct that.

- Geralt is with Yennefer. I was hoping to get this outcome, I turned down Triss and tried to make sure that in the end, Geralt would be with Yen because in my view, she's the one :)

- Ciri becomes a Witcher. Even though she might not be able to use the potions, she'll be very powerful. Just look at how she fights her way through the warriors and hounds of the Wild Hunt so she can confront Caranthir. That was amazing. Also, she heals incredibly fast; she can teleport. She doesn't need the potions. Also, and this is the main reason why I think that Ciri = Witcher is the perfect ending: She always wanted to be a Witcher. At the end, she gets what she wants - to choose her own destiny and to be who she wants to be.

However, I can relate to at least one poiint of criticism. When we hear Dandelion tell us that Ciri becomes a famous Witcher and that people recognize her by the colour of her hair, I, too, thought "Well, THAT won't go unnoticed... Emhyr will find out that Geralt has lied and that Ciri is alive, eventually." Emhyr isn't dumb. He'll find out and probably seek revenge. Or maybe - just maybe - he'll leave Ciri alone because he realises that she's the master of her own destiny. Even though the possibility of Emhyr finding out about Ciri being alive is a valid point of criticism, it doesn't ruin the ending for me. I guess I was just way too happy that nobody I cared about had died :)

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but Ciri ending up doing Witcher's work isn't just an option for the game, it's what she ends up doing at the end of the book series. So, it's entirely consistent with her book character.

Thats actually not true, at least not 100 %. She ends up in the world of King Arthur, but it is never said she started to kill monsters there. Its all about personal interpretation of both books and games, which are two different quantities. Two out of three endings of Wild Hunt can be consider to be good conclusions of the story, because both major characters are still alive. Is empress ending better that witcher one ? No. Is Ciri becoming a witcher a better ending that the empress one ? No. People have their own opinions and it needs to be respected. If someone likes one ending better that the other, thats completely fine.

I personally will always choose empress one, not because i like it more, but the choices i made as Geralt will always lead to that conclusion. Ill always take Ciri to Emphyr, because i truly feel that he deserved that and i think Ciri needs to surpass her fears, like meeting with her true father. Ill always kill Radowid, because my Geralt is not a neutral monster slayer, who only thinks about closest friends, but wants to change the world by removing a maniac who loves killing innocent people. Ill always side with Roche, Ves and Talar over Dijkstra, because they actually helped Geralt in his journey (specialy Roche and Ves who were fighting at Kaer Morhen to protect the most important person in Geralts life), and i consider them as friends. Still, my biggest problem with "witcher ending" is that i dont believe in it. Cheers.

I prefer the Witcher Ciri ending since she's the free-spirited type and she always tries to get what she wants, given how her character is depicted in the game. So she probably won't make a good Empress, compared to Cerys.

Life on the path fits Ciri more. And I don't remember which ending but doesn't the General become the Emperor if Emhyr didn't meet Ciri? Voorhis is better ruler material.

However, I dislike the fact that Emhyr doesn't get to see his daughter if Ciri is to become a witcheress.

Emhyr not getting to see Ciri was a part of the ending that I felt really ok with - simply because Emhyr is not the most caring father and wants to use Ciri. He wants her to follow in his footsteps and can't respect her right to make her own decisions. Plus I never liked the guy, be it in the books or in the games. So no sympathy there as far as I am concerned.
I agree that Ciri might not make a good empress, being very freespirited, stubborn and emotional. However, had I gotten this ending (Ciri being empress), I could have lived with that as well. The only ending I couldn't have lived with would be the bad ending because I want neither Ciri nor Geralt dead.

However, I dislike the fact that Emhyr doesn't get to see his daughter if Ciri is to become a witcheress.

You can actually make it so that Ciri meets Emphyr and becomes a witcher in the end. There are two ways of doing it. You need to side with Dijkstra against Roche in "Reason of State", so that Nilfgaard will not win the war. You can also totally ignore the quest and refuse to kill Radowid, so he will defeat Emphyr, which will lead to his death by the oposition.

Emhyr not getting to see Ciri was a part of the ending that I felt really ok with - simply because Emhyr is not the most caring father and wants to use Ciri. He wants her to follow in his footsteps and can't respect her right to make her own decisions. Plus I never liked the guy, be it in the books or in the games. So no sympathy there as far as I am concerned.
I agree that Ciri might not make a good empress, being very freespirited, stubborn and emotional. However, had I gotten this ending (Ciri being empress), I could have lived with that as well. The only ending I couldn't have lived with would be the bad ending because I want neither Ciri nor Geralt dead.

Emhyr from the books does care for her happiness and actually lets her stay with Geralt & Yen when he could force her to live with him. In the game he is more hardcore, for story reasons or the fact that he needs Ciri not to loose his empire.

The ending is not logical tho, Ciri becoming famous witcher etc when she should become anon. but I don't care simply because its the best ending for Geralt, it's too good an ending in fact after all these years apart in the books & game finally she'll be with him for good. It doesn't go along with sapkowski's bittersweet conclusions but this is the game, this is an RPG and possibility of it is welcome.

My main problem with the ending tho that it was too short and too few characters in it compared to empress ending. Tho unlike some other fan requests this could be fixed rather easily I think. Add the love interest and zoltan & dandi to the fold with couple lines of dialogue maybe a quick witcher contract quest with ciri = fixed.

Couple hours ago I finished the game with bad ending intentionally and it was satisfying, it was so good as bad endings go, really shown Geralt's state of mind after what happened: "Maybe, once in a different time, I'd have helped" , "You lie, I don't feel a thing anymore". Empress ending was also satisfying but not the witcher ending...

Emhyr from the books does care for her happiness and actually lets her stay with Geralt & Yen when he could force her to live with him. In the game he is more hardcore, for story reasons or the fact that he needs Ciri not to loose his empire.
I know, Book-Emhyr was better but Game-Emhyr was such an annoying dude that I was glad he never got to see Ciri.
The ending is not logical tho, Ciri becoming famous witcher etc when she should become anon. but I don't care simply because its the best ending for Geralt, it's too good an ending in fact after all these years apart in the books & game finally she'll be with him for good. It doesn't go along with sapkowski's bittersweet conclusions but this is the game, this is an RPG and possibility of it is welcome.
Totally agree. When in the epilogue Dandelion told me that Ciri went on to become a famous Witcher I was like "Hang on - but Emhyr will notice, right? What will he do then?" Second reaction was "Ah, never mind, it's the best ending for Geralt and an ending I can live with" - probably not the most logical ending because Ciri shouldn't become that famous if she wants to keep Emhyr at bay but that's the only thing about that ending that I questioned.
My main problem with the ending tho that it was too short and too few characters in it compared to empress ending. Tho unlike some other fan requests this could be fixed rather easily I think. Add the love interest and zoltan & dandi to the fold with couple lines of dialogue maybe a quick witcher contract quest with ciri = fixed.
That would be awesome. Dandelion is still there, you can visit him in Novigrad, but I think he doesn't talk much - I must admit that I didn't try because every time before, he would just tell me how he came by this tavern. I would have liked to see what Zoltan was up to, though.
Couple hours ago I finished the game with bad ending intentionally and it was satisfying, it was so good as bad endings go, really shown Geralt's state of mind after what happened: "Maybe, once in a different time, I'd have helped" , "You lie, I don't feel a thing anymore". Empress ending was also satisfying but not the witcher ending...
Watched the bad ending on YT and am glad that I didn't get that one because it's very depressing... poor Geralt :/ Haven't seen the empress ending yet but I guess I'll find that on YT as well. Right now, I just don't have the nerve to replay the whole game :)

Watched the bad ending on YT and am glad that I didn't get that one because it's very depressing... poor Geralt :/ Haven't seen the empress ending yet but I guess I'll find that on YT as well. Right now, I just don't have the nerve to replay the whole game :)

You can change your choices with console commands if you install the debug console enabler mod, this post includes a list of all facts that affect the endings. Using them before entering Avallac'h's tower should probably work.

one thing canon wise - Emhyr gets succeeded by Morvran Voorhis in 1290, while story of Witcher 3 is supposed to be happening in 1272 (year of the Witch hunt).. this also means, that actually Radovid cannot win the war, otherwise Emhyr is killed by opposition.. overall, game ending goes a bit against the book canon, or at least doesnt fit well with things already mentioned in Sapkowski's books

Thats actually not true, at least not 100 %. She ends up in the world of King Arthur, but it is never said she started to kill monsters there. Its all about personal interpretation of both books and games, which are two different quantities. Two out of three endings of Wild Hunt can be consider to be good conclusions of the story, because both major characters are still alive. Is empress ending better that witcher one ? No. Is Ciri becoming a witcher a better ending that the empress one ? No. People have their own opinions and it needs to be respected. If someone likes one ending better that the other, thats completely fine.

I personally will always choose empress one, not because i like it more, but the choices i made as Geralt will always lead to that conclusion. Ill always take Ciri to Emphyr, because i truly feel that he deserved that and i think Ciri needs to surpass her fears, like meeting with her true father. Ill always kill Radowid, because my Geralt is not a neutral monster slayer, who only thinks about closest friends, but wants to change the world by removing a maniac who loves killing innocent people. Ill always side with Roche, Ves and Talar over Dijkstra, because they actually helped Geralt in his journey (specialy Roche and Ves who were fighting at Kaer Morhen to protect the most important person in Geralts life), and i consider them as friends. Still, my biggest problem with "witcher ending" is that i dont believe in it. Cheers.

At the end of the book series, Ciri chooses to not be an Empress. She's leading a life of adventure, exploring other worlds. Being a witcher at the end of Witcher 3 is the same thing. She doesn't end up an empress and she chooses a life as an adventurer.

You can choose whatever ending you want, of course. But in the books, she'd already decided to defy whatever the Emperor wanted for her. So, it's consistent.

At the end of the book series, Ciri chooses to not be an Empress. She's leading a life of adventure, exploring other worlds. Being a witcher at the end of Witcher 3 is the same thing. She doesn't end up an empress and she chooses a life as an adventurer.

She did not really have a choice when it came to Emhyr, Geralt and Yennefer were going to die, Emhyr chose to ler her go because of her tears, I think you meant her being forced to do the Lodge's plans for her to eventually become Queen of Kovir, but since Geralt and Yennefer are "dead" at the end of the books, she did not see the point of staying in the Witcher world, also mentions to Galahad that she messed with Destiny so much in her world she has to leave it for a while.

You can choose whatever ending you want, of course. But in the books, she'd already decided to defy whatever the Emperor wanted for her. So, it's consistent.

She still was forced to do the Queen of Kovir plan, would have happened if the Rivian pogrom did not happen, or maybe as you said she would have just bolted to another world altogether for a while.

Ciri witcheress ending has too many plot holes in my opinion. Sure, Geralt is 'happier'. But the bittersweet ending of Ciri Queen was a lot more fulfilling and honest, in my humble opinion.

Top Bottom