Why couldn't mages just teleport out of Novigrad?

+
Originally Posted by Maerd View Post
One note though, on some branches of conversation it's Geralt who's attacking Keira saying something like "I'm not going to allow this to happen" and unsheathes the sword. Here's the most interesting part is the reasoning but not the reasoning like "since I know now what's going to happen..." but situational reasoning.
Is stopping her using force if necessary, from Geralt's point of view of potential thousands of deaths (via a simple causality link) "right" or "wrong" according to you?
Let's say, I suspect that you can potentially steal money from your neighbor because you have a backyard access to his house. Would it be "right" or "wrong" to put you in jail for that based on my suspicion?

---------- Updated at 02:40 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Maerd View Post
According to your playthrough you mentioned, you executed revenge on Henselt for executing spies that wanted to kill him and made a whole country a civil war mess with thousands of people suffering and dying. If you think that personal revenge doesn't worth lives of thousands of people then why did you chose to murder him?
I thought we were judging things "on the spot"? And from Gerald's POV? How exactly a potential civil war and thousands of people killed fit into this?
Yes, on the spot it's pretty clear where Henselt's death leads. You were given information that Henselt has no heir. In a medieval monarchy, no heir is a recipe for a civil war or for collapse of a kingdom after the ruler's death as distant relatives and neighboring countries will start to fight for the throne. Geralt is old and experienced enough to know that.

I will only say this. A knight in full 16th century Milan plate can be killed by a single arrow through his visor. Or a well placed mace/lance hit causing internal shock.
Yes, but only theoretically, because a peasant is not proficient enough to reliably kill a knight by sniping into the visor with a bow or crossbow, and won't be able to handle well lance, mace, morning star, or other specialized weapons, which can harm the knight.

This! Is because the mages in TW3 was badly written. That was the point of the discussion. They was powerful and smart in the books, TW1 and TW2, and suddenly went all helpless in Novigrad, where only our hero Geralt and super-Triss can save them. This is not realistic, that contradicts with any information, that was given to us within all passed years.
I got it, you hate mages, but their power will not be weaker from your attitude. You can think what you want, but mages in witcher universe was always portrayed as powerful, smart, cunning, politically important. Except TW3, where they are weak and helpless. Plot hole, bad writing. Shame.
Totally agree. The mages in Novigrad are portrayed as peasant refugees.

You're not being honest here. I'm on this forum for a long time and I have good memory. You previously said that your rationale was to damage the northern kingdoms as much as possible. You were playing not Geralt but Letho #2.

I am not hiding it. I am pro-Nilfgaardian, and from meta-gaming perspective I choose to do max damage to the North. But it has noting to do with a realistic evaluation of the parties involved. Sile and Philippa choose to kill everyone in LM despite the damage to the North. If she were to succeed it sure helps Nilfgaard, but it does not mean that it was right or good thing to do. Also she already outlived her usefulness at this point, so there is no need to keep her alive. :)

Also she already outlived her usefulness at this point, so there is no need to keep her alive.
Spoken like a true emperor's agent. :)

---------- Updated at 05:16 AM ----------

Sile and Philippa choose to kill everyone in LM despite the damage to the North.
As already replied somewhere above it is not the case just because it's impossible to kill several thousands of people hiding in ruins, therefore the whole idea of doing it is stupid even for a calculating psychopath, whom Sile is not. Sile was chased into the corner and could say many angry words. I think if you ended up in similar situation you would also be cursing and wishing to kill everyone who wronged you.

As already replied somewhere above it is not the case just because it's impossible to kill several thousands of people hiding in ruins, therefore the whole idea of doing it is stupid even for a calculating psychopath, whom Sile is not. Sile was chased into the corner and could say many angry words. I think if you ended up in similar situation you would also be cursing and wishing to kill everyone who wronged you.

More precisely, the jig was up. Sile was using Saskia as a pawn to help in her escape as she'd just been named culpable for a regicide. Given Foltest and possibly Henselt's death, it was likely they'd be blamed too.

When, of course, they were the result of Nilfgaard's handiwork.

The creation of the Pontar Valley was, itself, a wonderful dream but Philippa and Sile's pathological need for control at all costs warped it. As did Sabrina's sociopathy (which we see in "The Price of Neutrality").

Sile just wanted to get away. Not kill everyone. She wouldn't care if anyone died either, though, and the dragon undoubtedly had orders to kill everyone (which would have been good, anyway, since they all wanted her blood).

---------- Updated at 05:16 AM ----------

As already replied somewhere above it is not the case just because it's impossible to kill several thousands of people hiding in ruins, therefore the whole idea of doing it is stupid even for a calculating psychopath, whom Sile is not.

Well, that's what she told Geralt - Saskia will turn Loc Muinne into a burning ruin, and nobody would learn about the Lodge's involvement. She said it herself, I wouldn't come up with this on my own because it is practically pretty much impossible to kill every witness of the events on the summit. So I would say it was their intent.

Well, that's what she told Geralt - Saskia will turn Loc Muinne into a burning ruin, and nobody would learn about the Lodge's involvement. She said it herself, I wouldn't come up with this on my own because it is practically pretty much impossible to kill every witness of the events on the summit. So I would say it was their intent.

Sile was kind of hysterical at that point but dropping a Golden Dragon on a bunch of relatively defenseless people would have caused hundreds of casualties without Geralt there, at the least.

Let's say, I suspect that you can potentially steal money from your neighbor because you have a backyard access to his house. Would it be "right" or "wrong" to put you in jail for that based on my suspicion?

What's up with these botched analogies guys? An equivalent would be the you having the key to the dead neighbour's AR15s' (weaponisable Catriona research) locker, and forcing you to give it up instead of giving it to a mobster (Radovid). No suspicion or jail possibly involved in any way.

---------- Updated at 02:40 AM ----------

Yes, on the spot it's pretty clear where Henselt's death leads. You were given information that Henselt has no heir. In a medieval monarchy, no heir is a recipe for a civil war or for collapse of a kingdom after the ruler's death as distant relatives and neighboring countries will start to fight for the throne. Geralt is old and experienced enough to know that.
Right.. unlike at all what happens after Sheala's assassination of Demavend. I mean it is absolutely clear having one living heir guarantees peace and stability and automatically assures a smooth transition..

Yes, but only theoretically, because a peasant is not proficient enough to reliably kill a knight by sniping into the visor with a bow or crossbow, and won't be able to handle well lance, mace, morning star, or other specialized weapons, which can harm the knight.
The point I was trying to make is that the entire analogy makes no sense for the equivalents picked. Moreover, even accepting for sake of argument the preposterous parallel, I highlighted how his cast-iron argument was flawed.

Just like a "knight in full plate" is not invincible, so even a very powerful mage has no guarantee of getting out unharmed in a confrontation with even theoretically much weaker opponents (his argument).

With the difference that the main strenght of the knight is his superior defence, while the mage's is offense. And the correct comparison would actually be not a knight vs one paesant. But a knight (even in full regalia) versus a mob of paesants. Which would end badly.

Even conceding all the absurd gamey assumptions it'd work like this, in your own personal madeup situations and rules:

paesant : knight = knight : sorcerer

mob of paesants vs knight = mob of knights vs sorcerer

In the specific case we were discussing, ergo Triss vs 1000s of armed men in Novigrad, you two would be trying to argue this: she survives because one single knight would survive and prevail versus 1000s of paesants.

Totally agree. The mages in Novigrad are portrayed as peasant refugees.

Almost as if they're not Sorcerers but regular magic practitioners. And please again (this is the 14th time I ask this) could you please elaborate on how exactly would proper Sorcerers deal with the situation differently? Apart from escaping with teleportation or forcing their way out of the city? If you're arguing that I'd agree, if they indeed were all if not at least some, Sorcerers and not all except Triss not suited for such a fight.

---------- Updated at 01:15 PM ----------

Don't know if you noticed this, but they'll say anything to defend their personal preference.

And please again (this is the 14th time I ask this) could you please elaborate on how exactly would proper Sorcerers deal with the situation differently?
Ok, for example, in the books Sile can control minds, with this she can persuade one to change it behavior, send visions. So can easily evade a mob by creating an illusion, or they will think that in front of them are a little girl or an old woman. No offensive spells needed, no killing, just a bunch of confused witch hunters. Easy-peasy.
They can blind people for a time, it was done to Geralt once, he could not see a thing, the simple hunter will be distracted and shocked. Illusions again, mind-control - control one of the hunters, and he will be killing another, while sorceress will be fleeing away. Mages can levitate and fly a bit in the air, surrounded by an orb which will protect them. There is a lot of options.

Ok, for example, in the books Sile can control minds, with this she can persuade one to change it behavior, send visions. So can easily evade a mob by creating an illusion, or they will think that in front of them are a little girl or an old woman. No offensive spells needed, no killing, just a bunch of confused witch hunters. Easy-peasy.
They can blind people for a time, it was done to Geralt once, he could not see a thing, the simple hunter will be distracted and shocked. Illusions again, mind-control - control one of the hunters, and he will be killing another, while sorceress will be fleeing away. Mages can levitate and fly a bit in the air, surrounded by an orb which will protect them. There is a lot of options.

Ok, but how many Sila-equivalents do they have in Novigrad? And we're talking about walking out 30+ people from their hiding (or let's say under the tavern) out from the main gates I take it? Then?

Was it ever explained in the game how the heck Sile got caught by the witch hunters?And what was she doing in Oxenfurt?It makes no sense.

Was it ever explained in the game how the heck Sile got caught by the witch hunters?And what was she doing in Oxenfurt?It makes no sense.

We're supposed to believe the Witch Hunters are actually competent, which the game doesn't sell at all.

Maybe Triss is only powerfull mage in Novigrad who can use teleport, the rest just don`t reach that level, and we need dramatic moment in game

Yeah, that's my theory.

But yeah, the game shows the Inquisitors are corrupt murdering stupid thugs who abuse and torture people without a bit of genuine courage of intelligence amongst them.

HOW THE HELL were they supposed to capture Sile?

I don't think mages should be invincible (The Scoia'tael killed many powerful ones during the Coup) but the Witch Hunters don't come off as skilled enough for that.

I mean, give them an evil Witcher or something.

@Willowhugger
well competent officers and dimeritium based armaments would help too

About Sheila, I think the devs/writers just didn't bother to come up with a proper reason, given her possible KIA status.
To add insult to injury they couple unnecessary fan service (her showing up at all) with useleness of her character and forced choice. And forced negative choice with emotional impact (for the fans </3). A trifecta of suck.

@Willowhugger
well competent officers and dimeritium based armaments would help too

About Sheila, I think the devs/writers just didn't bother to come up with a proper reason, given her possible KIA status.
To add insult to injury they couple unnecessary fan service (her showing up at all) with useleness of her character and forced choice. And forced negative choice with emotional impact (for the fans </3). A trifecta of suck.

Though, to be fair, I think it actually is a fairly good twist.

Letho mentioned that the entire North would be after her and she'd eventually be caught and tortured. @KnightofPhoenix's original essays mentions that he was trying to "mercy kill" her.

Likewise, it's probably one of the few characters that people from the previous game would care about seeing the true naked evil of the Witch Hunters with.

Better than "Geralt can sleep with her if he saves her" which a lot of gamers were expecting.

Was it ever explained in the game how the heck Sile got caught by the witch hunters?
No. She got cought off screen (so there is no excause needed) cause plot demanded it. Nevermind she is one of the most powerful sorceresses in the North and even if she didn't want to fight she could have just teleported herself to Kovir.

But honestly, I prefer that option than having her captured on screen while doing stupid things like doing nothing and waiting for prison.

Last edited:
No. She got cought off screen (so there is no excause needed) cause plot demanded it. Nevermind she is one of the most powerful sorceresses in the North and even if she didn't want to fight she could have just teleported herself to Kovir.

But honestly, I prefer that option than having her captured on screen while doing stupid things like doing nothing and waiting for prison.

But the issue is.. the plot did not demand it. She's useless to the story, past shock effect and "look a character from the prequel!".
So you got a plot inconsistency of sorts (her being captured and being in Oxenfurt) without her contributing to the plot at all.

But the issue is.. the plot did not demand it. She's useless to the story, past shock effect and "look a character from the prequel!".
So you got a plot inconsistency of sorts (her being captured and being in Oxenfurt) without her contributing to the plot at all.

Well, it illustrates the Witch Hunters are ACTUALLY a threat to the Sorceresses. That, if Radovid wins, the Lodge and all the powerful mages of the North will die.

It also is a powerful moving seen.

But the issue is.. the plot did not demand it.
I meant that plot demanded it because the developers wanted her to be there for some reason. I suppose it is because Letho mentioned something about her being tortured in the future in TW2 and they wanted to have Letho be right cause he is meant to be badass.

Her contribution to the story was more or less fulfilled at the end of TW2 but her appearing in prison was needed to confirm Letho's predictions. The devs simply wanted us to feel really bad for sparing her in Loc Muinne.

Last edited:
I meant that plot demanded it because the developers wanted her to be there for some reason. I suppose it is because Letho mentioned something about her being tortured in the future in TW2 and they wanted to have Letho be right cause he is meant to be badass.

Her contribution to the story was more or less fulfilled at the end of TW2 but her appearing in prison was needed to confirm Letho's predictions. The devs simply wanted us to feel really bad for sparing her in Loc Muinne.

It also achieves other factors.

1. Encouraging you to hate Radovid
2. Encouraging you to think the Witch Hunters could threaten Triss and Yennefer
3. Letting you know they are GENUINELY EVIL
4. Also causing you to question how you feel about it since while I was happy to kill Sile and thought she was evil, I didn't want her to die like this.

Top Bottom