Why couldn't mages just teleport out of Novigrad?

+
He-he, so I opened a book, and yes, Triss was allergic only to potions, the reason she could not heal herself with magic is that she could not concentrate because of convulsions and pain. She left her amulet in Kaer Morhain, and that's why she fell ill.

From Blood of Elves:
“I’m allergic!” she sobbed with helpless exasperation and despairing anger. “I always have been! I can’t tolerate elixirs! I can treat others with them but can only treat myself with amulets.”
“Where is the amulet?”
“I don’t know.” She ground her teeth. “I must have left it in Kaer Morhen. Or lost it—”
“Damn it. What are we going to do? Maybe you should cast a spell on yourself?”
“I’ve tried. And this is the result. I can’t concentrate because of this cramp…”

Thank you. But i thought magic and elixir is different ?

Magic is something mage can use everywhere, usually from their hand. While elixir is like potion mage just bring with them

The more I read and think about it the more I believe the portrayal of magic is too inconsistent - in both the games and books. Mages seem to be able to do amazing things until they can't, depending upon the needs of the plot. They can turn people into inanimate objects or paralyze them yet Geralt can beat several in a one-on-one fight. In the books, Vilgefortz thrashes Geralt in melee yet all mages in the games fight at range in a support role.

Then why not all of this stupid Sorcerer and Sorceress just *Poof* became an Owl and fly away like Philipa ? It's an easy peasy right ?

Attachments

• Killing Troll.jpg
    Killing Troll.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 90
The more I read and think about it the more I believe the portrayal of magic is too inconsistent - in both the games and books. Mages seem to be able to do amazing things until they can't, depending upon the needs of the plot. They can turn people into inanimate objects or paralyze them yet Geralt can beat several in a one-on-one fight. In the books, Vilgefortz thrashes Geralt in melee yet all mages in the games fight at range in a support role.

I agree.The magic was always inconsistent in the books.And in the games it's even more inconsistent.

That always bothered me about Vilgefortz.

The only reasonable explanation I have is that he is an experienced battle mage who uses magic to enhance himself physically (somehow) in battle.
That combined with the fact that he WAS a real soldier would explain it.

I have nothing against Geralt losing to someone in melee... but it cant be an easy fight. SO that is the only explanation I have.

Vilgefortz thrashes Geralt in melee yet all mages in the games fight at range in a support role.
I always thought, that he buffed himself with spells to be faster, stronger and better than witcher. He was ready to fight Geralt both times they met, and he had time to prepare spells. Second - there is mages who can fight with melee weapons, Istredd, for example, wanted an even fight and was willing to fight Geralt with a sword ( I assume he could just burn Gera with a movement of his fingers). Third - how many mages Geralt fought that we could judge their full powers? Vilgefortz who was very advanced, and Degerlund (Season of storms) who was amateur, so it's hard to compare them.

First you need to get close to those mages, one mage can teleport many more. Triss can turn whole Novigrad into smoldering ruins according to her magic skills used in the battle of Kaer Morhen. She could have meteor showered witch hunters' compound at any convenient time. Couple of sorceresses like Sile, Triss, Yen, Philippa, Margarita, Keira or other Lodge members can wipe armies by themselves. There's no way they could have been caught. And if one of them did by treason, the rest just could exterminate their opponents like annoying flies.

And just to point out, that Geralt attacking Keira Metz and defeating her scenario was manifold unbelievable. She could have teleported him like Yen in Kaer Morhen but over the solid ground: the end of fighting.

I heard about this, but Yen never did it to me. Just curious, how exactly do you make Yen teleport you out?

---------- Updated at 06:21 PM ----------

And just to point out, that Geralt attacking Keira Metz and defeating her scenario was manifold unbelievable. She could have teleported him like Yen in Kaer Morhen but over the solid ground: the end of fighting.
I'd say it would be possible, if Geralt killed her fast enough that she couldn't cast a spell (coming close to her before turning hostile) or if he used the crossbow. Killing them before they can cast anything. If I were Geralt I would probably carry some dimeritium brace or shackles or whatever, and before confronting any mages, sneak it on them.

Maybe dimeritium tipped crossbow bolts could work too, or some kind of contraption that shoots something made from dimeritium that wraps around them or something. There ought to be more anti-mage weaponry.

---------- Updated at 06:24 PM ----------

But magic simply has too many plotholes. Why, for example, wouldn't Phillipa just throw a few fireballs on Radovid's ship, burning him alive? Seems totally reasonable according to her character.

Last edited:

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

As I said earlier, all plots with magic, teleportation and time travel have inconsistencies. Some plots, of course, better than others.

It wouldn't have been hard to make it more consistent though. All they would have to say would be that the witch hunters have some kind of contraption that prevents teleporting. It is a case of bad writing.

For fights against mages, there should be a bigger arsenal of dimeritium based weaponry, so that non-mages can beat mages in ways that do not cause plotholes.

Last edited:
All they would have to say would be that the witch hunters have some kind of contraption that prevents teleporting.
So, they will use magic themselves? Then they would have to burn each other too for the use of magic, considering they even burn alchemists and herbalists. :)

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

As I said earlier, all plots with magic, teleportation and time travel have inconsistencies. Some plots, of course, better than others.

I think some works - like Dragon Age - took a positive step by doing away with teleportation and time-travel magic. But, then, we had "Dragon Age 2" with teleporting mages and "Dragon Age: Inquisition" with time-travel magic. :mad:

Also, I think it's a good idea that mages in the Witcher Universe have to concentrate and take time to cast complex spells, even though there are instances of them simply waving a hand and casting spells that paralyze or forcibly teleport someone, both of which would end a fight in seconds.

Roasted mages in the garlic souse, probably. What's your point of inventing something that doesn't exist in the game?

Actually, Radovid has mages working for him, one of them is right outside his vessel while moored.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Simultas View Post
I'd say it would be possible, if Geralt killed her fast enough that she couldn't cast a spell (coming close to her before turning hostile)
Yes, sudden unexpected attack would have worked... Not that I will ever believe Geralt attacking or killing Keira in the first place, it's seriously out of character.

or if he used the crossbow
Since CDPR claims that Triss can cast shield spell while arrow is still flying (see TW2), and Triss is considered even not that powerful among the sorceress of the Lodge, even attacking Keira with a crossbow or a bow should be done by sniping from the back when she's not expecting it.

In any case, capturing Sile or Margarita by witch hunters would have required incredible effort, close to impossible... why Sile even in Novigrad if she's from Kovir. It also seriously contributes to the plot mess after the battle of Kaer Morhen, which has a plot hole over a plot hole.

Yes, sudden unexpected attack would have worked... Not that I will ever believe Geralt attacking or killing Keira in the first place, it's seriously out of character.

Since CDPR claims that Triss can cast shield spell while arrow is still flying (see TW2), and Triss is considered even not that powerful among the sorceress of the Lodge, even attacking Keira with a crossbow or a bow should be done by sniping from the back when she's not expecting it.

In any case, capturing Sile or Margarita by witch hunters would have required incredible effort, close to impossible... why Sile even in Novigrad if she's from Kovir. It also seriously contributes to the plot mess after the battle of Kaer Morhen, which has a plot hole over a plot hole.

Not really, as we see Demeterium actually disrupts spells from a distance. Yennefer's megascope is useless from 400 feet away in sufficient quantities.

Not really, as we see Demeterium actually disrupts spells from a distance. Yennefer's megascope is useless from 400 feet away in sufficient quantities.
False. Yen doesn't have a problem teleporting Geralt just megascope is not working. Think about it as phone land line was cut off in case of megascope or a huge magnet near the cell phone tower that screws it. The phone itself is not affected. According to the lore demeritium must be worn to prevent mages from casting.

Last edited:
Dimeritium is horribly owerpowered in the games. They just should throw a dimeritium bombs on a Sodden hill, and no mage would spell a thing! Easy-peasy.
It distrupts Yen's megascope abd allows Philippa to hold an owl form (what is also spell, she is not a kind of wereowl) foe months, with dimeritium cuff on her leg.

Eh, on a basic level, the Witch Hunters should be able to threaten the mages.

The same as Witchers.

We don't need the whole, "Linear Warriors, Quadratich Mages" thing going on here in the Witcher series.

And yes, I don't want it working like Kryptonite either. I want less that Sorceresses aren't threatened by mere mortals.

---------- Updated at 04:11 AM ----------

Dimeritium is horribly owerpowered in the games. They just should throw a dimeritium bombs on a Sodden hill, and no mage would spell a thing! Easy-peasy.
It distrupts Yen's megascope abd allows Philippa to hold an owl form (what is also spell, she is not a kind of wereowl) foe months, with dimeritium cuff on her leg.

Eh, fourteen mages dying at Sodden Hill was terrible but I kind of think their efforts are a bit overstated given 30,000 OTHER people died at that battle.

Top Bottom