Why did NG suddenly fall to the bottom?

+

ya1

Forum regular
If I can't force or don't see certain cards by R2 and I'm at card disadvantage in most cases I just forfeit rather than waste both our time because I know they can counter everything I have plus assimilate

Which is probably the secret behind NG actually breaking even last patch. People got inferiority complex in the face of NG and forfeit when they would have won. Seriously, it's a thing. I saw quite a few people forfeiting in R1 turn 1 after their first thing gets answered.

I doubt that very much. Your using a mirror match to justify your point, I'm sure you see the problem with that.

You're correct in that assimilate is greedy but just how many removal options do you have to counter it? Assimilate gets triggered twice when they play a spy so their units can get outside removal range very quickly. If your playing Guerilla tactics of course you can ping your way to victory, damage is always better than boost. So assimilate will have trouble with SK and ST for that reason. The only other way to counter spies is unit less and not everyone has that option. At the end of the day you build your deck to compete against several factions not 1. I never play long rounds against NG. If I can't force or don't see certain cards by R2 and I'm at card disadvantage in most cases I just forfeit rather than waste both our time because I know they can counter everything I have plus assimilate
Just two more coins from a devoted row punish addict:

Movement-based decks is generally a poor measure to estimate things as well, since they're typically chosen to interface with obscure/meme/unique mechanics and specific tech, and as such play very differently from everything else, often sidestepping many of the issues of a particular meta. There's only two such archetypes (Guerilla/Frost), and it's not like they're very popular, so...yeah. Not a good example.

MO still got that devotion frost deathwish list going for them. It's not top tier and got almost no removal but no NG meta deck can keep up with those points even after developing the Ball twice.

BTW were I to digress, ppl always complain about NG toxicity but overlook that MO can push even harder in the direction of cancerous, tilting game play. Look at the clog list (https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/f2af0143005a9c31bbc24358f2f1e453 spams Haunt and Dethlaff, Golyat in R1 just to force a pass, making like 55 points in 3 turns, and then cheaply clogs enemy rows within 4-5 turns in R3 with 3-4 Noonwraiths from Caranthir and Operator followed by Ritual Sacrifice and Meanhorn/consumes, finishes with Jotuun and Glusty). If given R1 this is pretty much unbeatable and makes you discard 5-6 cards from long R3. No NG deck can go that far in disruptive toxicity. Or Keltullis. They say NG destroys a unit every turn. Well, it doesn't. But Keltullis really does.

The only difference was that those MO lists are rather meme, and Double Ball used to even be Tier 2 once upon a time. Well, now, they're all meme.

- First of all I will agree with you that the "rat deck" is super broken and that it's more toxic, unfair and could arguably be considered an exploit of the rows card limitation.
I hate that deck and have never used it.

- As for the "frost hunger" deck, I haven't tried it my self... all n all I've played games against NG this season I've lost to the same counters, tall removal and poisoning.
I've stopped complaining though because after using the NG faction my self I've found some ways to sometimes bluff a little bit better and have my enemy remove less important units.

- SK and NR are my main problem atm cause they seem to just obliterate almost any other faction that goes against em...and mind you, I'm not saying that NR and SK are unbeatable, i'm just saying that certain decks from those factions are that, almost unbeatable.

Last edited:
- First of all I will agree with you that the "rat deck" is super broken and that it's more toxic, unfair and could arguably be considered an exploit of the rows cards limitation.
It's also a bit of a problem with Nilfgaards Spy Cards removing space on you're rows if you play a Deck that goes wide, if they didn't reworked Epidemic (5 provisions destroy a 4 Provision Card) into one of the most useless Cards we would at least have a hard counter for those shenanigans because Epidemics old Skill was destroy the lowest Unit(s) for 8 provisions.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
I doubt that very much. Your using a mirror match to justify your point, I'm sure you see the problem with that.

You're correct in that assimilate is greedy but just how many removal options do you have to counter it? Assimilate gets triggered twice when they play a spy so their units can get outside removal range very quickly. If your playing Guerilla tactics of course you can ping your way to victory, damage is always better than boost. So assimilate will have trouble with SK and ST for that reason. The only other way to counter spies is unit less and not everyone has that option. At the end of the day you build your deck to compete against several factions not 1. I never play long rounds against NG. If I can't force or don't see certain cards by R2 and I'm at card disadvantage in most cases I just forfeit rather than waste both our time because I know they can counter everything I have plus assimilate
When did I say I played Assimilate against Assimilate? I don’t play assimilate. Also you are saying as though GT has infinite charges. All you need to do is win R1 at any cost and push R2 so that all their tricks are used and in short R3 Assimilate sucks and falls flat. If you don’t have the hand to win R1, you can pretty much forfeit (unless you have Yrden) as nothing beats Assimilate in long R3. That is the strength and weakness of Assimilate.

- First of all I will agree with you that the "rat deck" is super broken and that it's more toxic, unfair and could arguably be considered an exploit of the rows cards limitation.

- As for the "frost hunger" deck, I haven't tried it my self... all n all I've played games against NG this season I've lost to the same counters, tall removal and poisoning.
I've stopped complaining though because after using the NG faction my self I've found some ways to sometimes bluff a little bit better and have my enemy remove less important units.

- SK and NR are my main problem atm cause they seem to just obliterate almost any other faction that goes against em...and mind you, I'm not saying that NR and SK are unbeatable, i'm just saying that certain decks from those factions are that, almost unbeatable.
Rat deck is nowhere near as broken or toxic as mill decks, against NR tall removal it's risk even playing that right now and worse against NG in general if you face lockdown or poison decks which have now returned. Aside from it being draw dependent, it requires your opponent to have last say, it can be countered by locks or by just forcing all charges of OH to be used up in R1/R2. I've probably lost against it once and that was the first time I encountered it. After that it's just a matter of forcing a misplay by your opponent and if they pull it off and you have last say then heatwave.

Against mill decks there's nothing you can do, there's no way to play around it. You can cripple some cards but even then you won't have cards going into R3 so you absolutely have to win R1 and R2.

All you need to do is force your opponent to use the rats in R2 or the cards he needs to pull it off in R 3 and you can still use special cards. It's annoying yes but easily telegraphed and hard to pull off. If I can counter it with a MO deck which has the least amount of control of any faction then other factions can do even better

Rat deck is nowhere near as broken or toxic as mill decks, against NR tall removal it's risk even playing that right now and worse against NG in general if you face lockdown or poison decks which have now returned. Aside from it being draw dependent, it requires your opponent to have last say, it can be countered by locks or by just forcing all charges of OH to be used up in R1/R2. I've probably lost against it once and that was the first time I encountered it. After that it's just a matter of forcing a misplay by your opponent and if they pull it off and you have last say then heatwave.

Against mill decks there's nothing you can do, there's no way to play around it. You can cripple some cards but even then you won't have cards going into R3 so you absolutely have to win R1 and R2.

All you need to do is force your opponent to use the rats in R2 or the cards he needs to pull it off in R 3 and you can still use special cards. It's annoying yes but easily telegraphed and hard to pull off. If I can counter it with a MO deck which has the least amount of control of any faction then other factions can do even better
Well, since i read your post i managed to use the rats deck.

Win 3 times and lose 1.

I think its "ok"

Assimilate is as strong as how much the opponent is noob; that is inversely proportional to the skill of the enemy. Against a new player who doesn’t know how Assimilate work, it is the strongest and most greediest deck. Every turn can sometimes gets 30 or 40 points each. But against skilled players Assimilate falls flat. I just beat Assimilate with my tier 3 Guerilla Tactics deck even though opponent plays all the standard cards.

Assimilate is super strong don’t get me wrong. If you don’t have cards to win R1 you are pretty much done since nothing in the game can beat assimilate in long R3. But if you know what to expect and how to play around it, you can easily beat it. But nonetheless I fear assimilate decks and play very very carefully against it.

Assimilate is not the greediest deck, that can generate most points per turn.
That title would probably go to SY Townsfolk/Fallen Knight shenanigans. Also the current NR Shieldwall is not NR's greediest version, its close, but a pure charge deck, uncontrolled of course, can go higher, also higher than Assimilate.

And there are probably more niche decks i cant remember that are able to outpoint Assimilate. I would say Kikkimore Queen but without Death's Shadow that lost a lot of potential.

Im really happy that NG poison spam got nerfed because it was either build a deck with either plenty of purify in it or you lose. And the deck which was made in mind to counter act NG Ball deck isn't that great against other deck types when I come across. Honestly though, I think they should remove scenario. Scenario totally killed spontaneousness of gwent and deck type variations and choices you can make. I only see people using same type of deck these days and no creative decks. And I dont use meta decks because it wasnt fun to play.

Top Bottom