Why did Triss & Geralt break up between witcher 2 and 3?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Triss & Geralt break up between witcher 2 and 3?

What exactly occurred "six months ago" that caused geralt and triss to split up. Feels weird if u picked triss for your romance choices all along from witcher 1 and 2 and if u bring forward the save, she and geralt are just suddenly split up entering into witcher 3.

I haven't come across any specific conversation lines within the game that explains this, mainly only geralt and triss making vague mentions of this.

Can anyone who knows more about this with any specific in-game references help shed light on the matter?

Thanks =)

Geralt have his memory back and now he want to find Yen. Triss know that and decide to break-up with him to let him freely romance with Yen.

Triss also admited she take "advantage" when found out Geralt lost his memory

Geralt have his memory back and now he want to find Yen. Triss know that and decide to break-up with him to let him freely romance with Yen.

Triss also admited she take "advantage" when found out Geralt lost his memory

Where does this been explained? As far as I remember they went off to the sunset together after I chose to save her in the end of TW2 and they started Witcher 3 already broken up

The explanation is a little bit poor, indeed. I was suprised, too.
But Triss says that they (wich implies both) have decided to go own ways for a while so that Geralt can look for Yen. She also admits that she has taken advantage of his amnesia.
This makes sense, because he now remembers that Yen was his love. So it seems just logical to me that he wants to look after her and find out what happend.

And now it's up to Geralt (or the player) to find out for whom he has more feelings (a fact wich is absolutly clear for me as I really hate thar coldhearted, selfish Yen who's treating Geralt like a dog ^^)

Last edited:
@Azhriaz
I'm pretty sure it isn't said in such a straight forward manner, It's more implied and can be interpreted countless ways. Besides,
when you talk about the rose of remembrance she says something along the lines of: I kept the rose as a warning - indicating she felt somewhat bitter about it

I don't know, I'll have to replay everything to be sure about it, but I found the whole thing extremely confusing.

I think that because he might have been angry at Triss for not telling him about Yeneffer when he had amnesia.

@Azhriaz
I'm pretty sure it isn't said in such a straight forward manner, It's more implied and can be interpreted countless ways. Besides,
when you talk about the rose of remembrance she says something along the lines of: I kept the rose as a warning - indicating she felt somewhat bitter about it

I don't know, I'll have to replay everything to be sure about it, but I found the whole thing extremely confusing.

From someone in the forum: the rose dead because Geralt at this point of the game don't love Triss anymore. Now just like Azhriaz said, it up to you to decide

Quote from the Witcher 2: if you give it (rose of remembrance) to someone you love, it will live forever

Its one of the many things we dont get with Triss in W3.
its pretty much open to "whatever" we feel happened, its entirely possible that Geralt got either angry or ended it when he remembered Yen, it is also possible (and what I feel would befit post-witcher 2 Triss's character) that they both decided to part ways so that Geralt could continue his relationship with Yen.

like many said, its pretty clear that in W3 Merigold is very sad about it, but made the sacrifice to let Geralt either get closure or continue his relationship with Yen (depends on player choice in w3).
From in game dialogue you learn how deeply she still loves him and confesses advantage of his memory loss, and how much she values what "they had".

I dont like how both relationships were handled tbh, I think that both relationships are weird and feel "unfinished" no matter what the player chooses, there is no difference, Geralt will love and settle in a working healthy relationship with either one, despite that not being at all what Yenn relationship was like for 20 years at all.
tho Triss's lifestyle seems more appealing (Kovir)

and we never get a real sense of closure that satisfies what defines both women at all

tho Triss's lifestyle seems more appealing (Kovir)

and we never get a real sense of closure that satisfies what defines both women at all

Ending Romance Spoiler
-Yeah Kovir ending is better, at least Geralt continue doing some witcher work or some job, like he continue his adventure.
-With Yen, you just get laid all day, you are retired from whatever await you outside. Hardly imagine Geralt can do something like this...

Ending Romance Spoiler
-Yeah Kovir ending is better, at least Geralt continue doing some witcher work or some job, like he continue his adventure.
-With Yen, you just get laid all day, you are retired from whatever await you outside. Hardly imagine Geralt can do something like this...

Well, he did it once, and seemed to enjoy it.

In the book ? Didn't see it in the game.

In the book, yeah, but it's mentioned in the game as well. Basically, them retiring to the Island together.

Geralt and Yen both keep expressing a desire to live in peace together, so it holds up for me. It's sort of an arc of them maturing together; Geralt is, for example, very restless when he spends a year in the city with her, while Yen is full of poison and rage (somewhat caused by her desire to have children despite her sterility), but their relationship with Ciri gets them well adjusted in the end.

I should say; Wild Hunt holds up much better (despite some problems still) if you've read the books. The relationship between Geralt and Yen makes more sense, the relationship with Ciri makes more sense, etc.

Where does this been explained? As far as I remember they went off to the sunset together after I chose to save her in the end of TW2 and they started Witcher 3 already broken up

I thought it was quite obvious that would happen with what occurred in TW2.,

I should say; Wild Hunt holds up much better (despite some problems still) if you've read the books. The relationship between Geralt and Yen makes more sense, the relationship with Ciri makes more sense, etc.

Indeed, but the books are the past, they should guide what happens in the game but not set it in stone, if Yen and Geralt in the past/books always had an "unhealthy relationship" it makes perfect sense that if you choose her in the game something would've changed for the better about their relationship (and it does they settle down and live happy).
So why oh why, would the story writers, create such a gorgeous romantic relationship with Triss for the game (that is miles better than Yen's), that makes us fall in love for her more than ever before in those short sidequests showing how changed Triss has become over the games (from her past/books) and not give continuity to it?

honestly I like games where choices are given like this but the choices should be fairly fleshed out, and its just not the case, it just feels like the game was made so that we are "supposed" to pick yen for nothing either than the past/books, and if you do, and if that is so I would have preferred to have no choice at all, and instead have Triss be a more prominent character with a more fleshed out closure story with Geralt and ALSO envolving Ciri and Yennefer.

you get closure with Triss if you pick Yen, a very sad and kinda cold closure but you feel for her very deeply during the game if you stay as friends and let her leave to kovir, and the game treats Yen has a lover much better.
But you dont really get closure with Yenn if you pick Triss and the game barely registers the relationship.

In the book, yeah, but it's mentioned in the game as well. Basically, them retiring to the Island together.

Geralt and Yen both keep expressing a desire to live in peace together, so it holds up for me. It's sort of an arc of them maturing together; Geralt is, for example, very restless when he spends a year in the city with her, while Yen is full of poison and rage (somewhat caused by her desire to have children despite her sterility), but their relationship with Ciri gets them well adjusted in the end.

Something i don't understand:
-Witcher 2: Yen and Geralt in island, Wild Hunt came and abducted Yen. After some chase with Letho, Geralt offered himself to the Hunt, freed Yen (with lost memory). After some time, Geralt with amnesia running from something (witcher 1)
-Where Geralt earn his title "butcher of ????", he kill countless human before he is lynched by the mob, Yen there and they kill her too. Ciri find them and place both of their corpse in a island (is that the same island), after that Ciri disappear and appear again in Wicher 3
-Geralt also mention he think he dead
is that the scheme of Wild Hunt to abduct Yen?
are they still alive when Ciri put them in the island ?
and what event happean first ?

Also as i play GTA 5, when you are working and suddenly retire, you mind become unstable (Michael). So i think it best for Geralt keep working after the Witcher 3 end (small work is OK, to keep your mind focus on something)

Last edited:
-Where Geralt earn his title "butcher of ?", he kill countless human before he is lynched by the mob, Yen there and they kill her too. Ciri find them and place both of their corpse in a island (is that the same island), after that Ciri disappear and appear again in Wicher 3

The Butcher of Blaviken title belongs to an earlier story, I think in the Last Wish anthology, in which Geralt cuts up several bandits from Renfri's gang along with Renfri (Renfri was planning to attack innocent people to put pressure on a mage she wanted to kill, that was hiding in his Tower; however, to people, it looked like Geralt attacked Renfri and her group out of the blue, hence the "Butcher") so it's not tied to the Pogrom that killed Geralt. The quote about Geralt not wishing to choose between "types of evil" in one of the CGI teasers ("Killing Monsters") actually comes from the same story.

As regards to what happens in the pogrom; Geralt is killed, Yennefer expires while trying to raise him from the dead. Ciri comes back, somehow resurrects them (bear with me, I read the series in the form of bad translations, a while ago, and in a very short span of time) and puts them in the Isle where they can be together, while she goes away to other dimensions (last we see her, she meets Galahad and heads to King Arthur's Court to see if there's any Witcher's work for her), presumably to keep them safe since a lot of people are still after.

This is pretty much the point the games begin; Wild Hunt comes to the Isle Geralt and Yen are in, abducts Yen in a ploy to trick Ciri into coming for her; Geralt ends up exchanging himself for her, though Ciri apparently returns, manages to rescue and transport him to Kaer Morhen, and is hunted throughout the dimensions in the span of the next two games until finally returning to Witcher's world.

The Butcher of Blaviken title belongs to an earlier story, I think in the Last Wish anthology, in which Geralt cuts up several bandits from Renfri's gang along with Renfri (Renfri was planning to attack innocent people to put pressure on a mage she wanted to kill, that was hiding in his Tower; however, to people, it looked like Geralt attacked Renfri and her group out of the blue, hence the "Butcher") so it's not tied to the Pogrom that killed Geralt. The quote about Geralt not wishing to choose between "types of evil" in one of the CGI teasers ("Killing Monsters") actually comes from the same story.

As regards to what happens in the pogrom; Geralt is killed, Yennefer expires while trying to raise him from the dead. Ciri comes back, somehow resurrects them (bear with me, I read the series in the form of bad translations, a while ago, and in a very short span of time) and puts them in the Isle where they can be together, while she goes away to other dimensions (last we see her, she meets Galahad and heads to King Arthur's Court to see if there's any Witcher's work for her), presumably to keep them safe since a lot of people are still after.

This is pretty much the point the games begin; Wild Hunt comes to the Isle Geralt and Yen are in, abducts Yen in a ploy to trick Ciri into coming for her; Geralt ends up exchanging himself for her, though Ciri apparently returns, manages to rescue and transport him to Kaer Morhen, and is hunted throughout the dimensions in the span of the next two games until finally returning to Witcher's world.

Thank you very much, always think about that story when i heard it in Witcher 3

So the book end with Geraly and Yen live a quiet life and happily ever after in a island. But i still think it isn't a life for a witcher though :D

Indeed, but the books are the past, they should guide what happens in the game but not set it in stone, if Yen and Geralt in the past/books always had an "unhealthy relationship" it makes perfect sense that if you choose her in the game something would've changed for the better about their relationship (and it does they settle down and live happy).
So why oh why, would the story writers, create such a gorgeous romantic relationship with Triss for the game (that is miles better than Yen's), that makes us fall in love for her more than ever before in those short sidequests showing how changed Triss has become over the games (from her past/books) and not give continuity to it?

honestly I like games where choices are given like this but the choices should be fairly fleshed out, and its just not the case, it just feels like the game was made so that we are "supposed" to pick yen for nothing either than the past/books, and if you do, and if that is so I would have preferred to have no choice at all, and instead have Triss be a more prominent character with a more fleshed out closure story with Geralt and ALSO envolving Ciri and Yennefer.

you get closure with Triss if you pick Yen, a very sad and kinda cold closure but you feel for her very deeply during the game if you stay as friends and let her leave to kovir, and the game treats Yen has a lover much better.
But you dont really get closure with Yenn if you pick Triss and the game barely registers the relationship.

Very well said. I hate the fact that I romance Triss on lvl 12, and basically till the end of the game I dont get any feedback from the game about the ralationship. Maybe 2x 10 sec scenes.
On the other hand, I must run around with Yen, like 5 quests / 2 hours. It is just makes me feel awful.
If somebody wants to go with Yen, cose they read the books, okey have fun. But me, for example, I knew before even I started playing that I will go with Triss, and this way the game was a huge disappointment. I played the first two games, just not long ago, because I wanted full experience from the TW3, and went through on the Triss line. than in the 3rd game, I just feel it is taken away. Pff..

Answering the topic question, I think they splited after tw2 because Geralts memory was back, he had to find Yen to see if he still loves her, make things clear, and what is going on.

@sage5 There's now an entire thread dedicated solely to discussion about Triss, which includes this topic. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...d-of-Maribor-(All-Spoilers)-Resurgence/page10

Please try not to necro 4+ month old threads, ensure you do a basic date-check of the thread and a quick scan for any recent threads relevant to the topic you wish to discuss before posting. If you are still interested in discussing this topic, then feel free to start it up over in that thread.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom