Why do I get Anthony Gilchrest instead of Meredith Stout?

+
I don't understand what this depends on, for some reason on my third playthrough I got the Anthony guy for some reason, when the rest of the quest played out exactly the same way.

Guest 3847602

She only survives if you proceed with her plan, pay with infected chip and don't start the fight with Royce before virus is uploaded.

mbrto

Forum regular
nah, you dont need to kill all the malstroem or go with her plan
i always meet with stout, shoot royce and sneak out

On my first attempt I simply murdered everyone, didn't even free Brick, got Stout
On the second I murdered everyone freed Brick, got Stout
On my third I tried to pay with the chip, but royce refused to take it on some bs that I'm too willing to pay, so I again murdered the maelstorms, and ended up with Gilchrest.

She only survives if you proceed with her plan, pay with infected chip and don't start the fight with Royce before virus is uploaded.

Honestly I kept the money, take the gun from the first turret, shoot way in and out and still met her and the end.
She just said I need to get better in following orders.

You only get the guy if you tell Royce that the chip is from Militech as far as I know.

On my third I tried to pay with the chip, but royce refused to take it on some bs that I'm too willing to pay, so I again murdered the maelstorms, and ended up with Gilchrest.
If you tell Royce about the virus on the chip, you'll get Gilchrist. You must have got him this time because it's sort of the same thing happening. Maels not getting the virus; Meredith's plan not working. (Even though it's the same thing happening as your other playthroughs).

That's the only explanation I can think of. Meredith's plan technically didn't work, which usually results in Gilchrist meeting you. But I don't know if that's what actually triggered it.

I don't understand what this depends on, for some reason on my third playthrough I got the Anthony guy for some reason, when the rest of the quest played out exactly the same way.

I think you have to kill Royce completely, or give them the cred chip without cracking it. Have to double tap Royce to kill him in regular combat BTW.

Guest 3847602

Honestly I kept the money, take the gun from the first turret, shoot way in and out and still met her and the end.
She just said I need to get better in following orders.

You only get the guy if you tell Royce that the chip is from Militech as far as I know.

That's weird, in my 2nd playthrough Gilchrist appeared at the end of this quest. I blew Royce's head off during the scene where he pointed his gun at me.

If you tell Royce about the virus on the chip, you'll get Gilchrist. You must have got him this time because it's sort of the same thing happening. Maels not getting the virus; Meredith's plan not working. (Even though it's the same thing happening as your other playthroughs).

That's the only explanation I can think of. Meredith's plan technically didn't work, which usually results in Gilchrist meeting you. But I don't know if that's what actually triggered it.
I did not tell Royce about the virus, because I removed the virus before trying to pay with it. Same thing I did in my second playthrough except there I didn't even attempt to pay with it. If really this minor details triggers things which of course neither gilcrest or stout can possibly know about since the deal didn't go through, then it is just terrible quest design that makes zero sense.

The only other difference is in my first two games I didn't find the messages confirming gilchrest as the mole. But that cannot realistically trigger the coup change either.

Either way seems to be tied to an arbitrary trigger, which is frustrating and further erodes the weight of your decisions.
Post automatically merged:

That's weird, in my 2nd playthrough Gilchrist appeared at the end of this quest. I blew Royce's head off during the scene where he pointed his gun at me.
That's exactly what I did. Seems like another broken quest this one. Wrong option triggering if you kill royce after offering to pay with the chip.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, but there is no way anyone could've found out about it at militech. Since I put a bullet through royce's head and he was definitely dead, same as the other two games. The only thing I did differently for the third time is offering up the chip as payment before killing royce, not killing him outright.

hmm, when I did that one playthrough, Meredith showed up. hmmm. The only other factor I can think is as someone else said, killing everyone.

I played this twice , went along with it until the end killed Royce as the boss got Meridith. Second play shot Royce on the dialogue still got Meridith.:shrug:

Guest 3847602

hmm, when I did that one playthrough, Meredith showed up. hmmm. The only other factor I can think is as someone else said, killing everyone.
I dunno, I think I've killed everyone both times.
Edit: Even these two flowcharts are contradicting each other: :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I think I've killed everyone both times.
Edit: Even these two flowcharts are contradicting each other: :shrug:

I think neither is entirely accurate.
What happened to me:

Accept chip -> don't hack chip -> Take down royce during conversation -> fight maelstorm -> metedith appears
Accept chip -> hack chip -> take down royce during conversation -> fight maelstorm ->meredith appears
Accept chip -> hack chip -> offer chip as payment -> kill royce during the deal -> fight maelstorm -> anthony appears

The trigger for gilcrest must be offering to paying with the cleaned chip. Except nobody outside the room could know about that detail, so it is stupid.

You choose before you enter.
If you chose the corpo card pay, stouth will always come.
If any other, then stouth comes if you start fight with Maelstrom.

If you chose the corpo card pay, stouth will always come.
Actually no. I had that fail. I picked the card. I gave it to the guy. But he knew it was a trap. I tried in two dialog's to clam the situation down. and I still had to fight my way out. Even the game doesn't have dialog for this outcome. V said his line: I took the card for the money and never offered it up. I was like... I didn't. The guy figured it was a trap and still attacked me. I didn't want to money. But the game only has one outcome, if this fails. Stout died.

Top Bottom