Why do many fans believe this game (in comparable aspects) will be inferior to GTA?

+
I hope I'm wrong, but CP77 probably won't have as good shooting and driving mechanics. Rockstar mastered those in almost 20 years, it's first game with cars and guns for CDPR.

Wow, this just goes to show how people have different tastes. The biggest problem I have with GTA and Red Dead is the shooting. Previously, I feel it has ranged from poor to mediocre and only in GTAV did it become fairly enjoyable for me. 'Mastered' is not a word that has ever flashed across my mind.

For example, I would put the recent two Deus Ex games way above GTA in terms of gunplay and the overall feel of combat.

If CP2077 doesn't feel much better than the GTAs with regards gunplay, I'll be REALLY disappointed.

As for cars? I think it's most likely it'll be slightly worse than GTA but that doesn't mean I think it's a certainty. I have faith, especially with regards combat while driving. I think that's one area of the driving where CP might be superior. I found shooting from the cars in GTA a bit fiddly and shallow.
Post automatically merged:

Except Cyberpunk 2077 IS an open world game.

I think some people, such as myself, look at the open-world part of a game as its format, rather than strictly being a genre in and of itself.

I mean Breath of the Wild, Raft, Ghosts of Tsushima, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed Origins, Far Cry, Horizon Dawn, Rust, STALKER - maybe even PS4 Spiderman or Prototype - could be described as open-world but I wouldn't compare them to GTA. As Su and others have said - apples and oranges.

I think an open-world comparison that is closer to GTA is Sleeping Dogs. And I wouldn't compare Sleeping Dogs to CP2077 in any meaningful way.

Perhaps people just see the city-based open-world presentation, along with guns and cars, and think, 'Oh, it's a GTA game' but that's a fairly skin-deep comparison, imho. It's probably one of the reasons that GTA vs CP type questions ruffle feathers too.

Last edited:
Apples vs. oranges: The orange genome consists of about 320 million base pairs. The apple genome consists of almost 750 million base pairs. Also, the orange is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100 million years older than the apple. Not sure what any of this has to do with the two games.

Anyway, I love the illusion of day to day reality in the Rockstar games, but it's a very thin illusion. In that regard, Red Dead is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the GTA games - of course it has less complexity to simulate, so that's probably part of it. But I find the games very annoying when I pull up to a corner in my shiny new car that the game just conveniently reset from its banged up state, and want to go into a shop, only to find that the shop windows become blurry up close, the signs aren't actually readable, and most importantly, the doors are fake -- there is no shop. I'm hoping that there will be less of this in CP2077.

I wish to add something: I don't understand why you guys are saying that GTA 5 is a sandbox when apart from story line there's little to nothing to do, but more importantly it's an old gen game that is designed to run on a ps3. And that's its real miracle compared to today's open world games.

Anyway:
Sandbox: you do what you want
Open world: big map freely explorable

Zelda botw (action adventure) and Skyrim (RPG) are sandbox games tbh, GTA is an action game, cp77 is an action RPG, all of them are open world games.

The only things I think are comparable between cp77 and GTA/RDR2 are graphics, physics (driving included), animations and optimization.

I don't understand why you guys are saying that GTA 5 is a sandbox when apart from story line there's little to nothing to do

I’m anything but an expert on game labels and genres, but I’d say it boils down to the level of freedom the game offers with the tools it gives to the players, at least from my perspective. Almost like immersive sims but without strictly being one.

I’d call GTA V a half-sandbox anyway, the gameplay freedom goes as far as the game’s style of action goes (I’m not implying there’s anything wrong with it, by the way). Thus, I’d call Cyberpunk 2077... a third-sandbox I guess? At first glance, it offers similar freedoms—side activities, exploration, shootouts, you name it—but its world isn’t as focused on that as GTA’s.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not that just narrative focus. It's that one is a narrative driven RPG, and the other is a action sandbox. I would quibble that GTAV seems to be more primarily focused on the sandbox elements than the narrative, but I think reasonable minds can differ there.

Narrative is pretty huge part of the single player GTA5, but you are correct in that GTA doesn't have branching storylines. However, it does have some choices in it. For example, you can choose to kill one of the three in the storys ending, or leave all alive.

I've noticed that many people here have a tendency to underestimate Rockstar's games.. I just think of it as a competition. It pays to study your competition.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong I love Rockstar. They're one of my four fav dev's (along with Naughty Dog, CDPR, and Paradox). I like Red Dead much more than GTA series ... but I dont think GTAV is a bad game. It's one of the games that defined the last decade. All I'm saying is I think a lot of comparisons do so in a vacuum without looking at the bigger picture.

Except Cyberpunk 2077 IS an open world game. The dialog options and RPG elements doesnt negate that.
CDPR LITERALLY advertises CP2077 as Open-world.
Just because it's "open world" doesn't mean it's the same type of "open world" as GTA.

Open world (more-or-less) means you can go anywhere at (almost) and time and perform missions/quests in (almost) any order. It does NOT mean a game has a bunch of more-or-less unconnected events or (sub)plots or activities you can use as a basis for creating your own story (like you can in GTA).
To expect CP2077's "open world" be be that same as GTAs is wishful thinking, at best. To complain because it's not is beyond foolish. Different games, different intent/direction in their development methodology and application/mechanics.
I.E. Different games.
CP2077 is not, nor is it intended to be, a GTA clone or alternative.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 is more comparable to RPG games similar to Mass Effect and other RPG than GTA 5. I would say CP 2077 is open-world but RPG is the game's main component. GTA 5 is solely designed to be open-world game. I don't get why people like to compare GTA 5 to CP 2077. They are going to be solely disappointed.

Just because it's "open world" doesn't mean it's the same type of "open world" as GTA.

I mean, just the fact that one has levels and areas that will be more or less "level gated" and the other does not should be pretty obvious it's not intended to be like that. The two games may appear similar but judging on what we know the similarity is only on a superficial level.

To address the OP, I believe on certain, relative aspects it will be.. like perhaps driving or physics.. Basically things the GTA franchise is known for and that's fine it's not meant to beat GTA at its own game, so to speak. And I've no doubt it will be superior in others like characters or level design.

This game won't be the end all be all of videogames.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is I think a lot of comparisons do so in a vacuum without looking at the bigger picture.
To compare things in bigger picture, you must generalize things. You can't compare two specific elements ( mechanics, graphic, storytelling) in bigger picture. Comparing this two ( GTA5 vs CP77) is the best possible choice in many aspects.

I don't get why people like to compare GTA 5 to CP 2077.
In some form they are similar and comparison between those two is not something illogical. As long as you compare things, that both have in common, then why not?

In some form they are similar and comparison between those two is not something illogical. As long as you compare things, that both have in common, then why not?
You can even compare them on things one has and the other lacks.
But NEVER say one is "better" then the other because one has something the other lacks.
Different games, different gameplay focus.
One is not, nor should it be, the other.

But NEVER say one is "better" then the other because one has something the other lacks.

I disagree, if something is botched, then it should be called out. Even if it's not a priority. If you add feature to the game, then it should be at least decent. Either you make it good or not at all. Gameplay elements should be not a burden.

I disagree, if something is botched, then it should be called out. Even if it's not a priority. If you add feature to the game, then it should be at least decent. Either you make it good or not at all. Gameplay elements should be not a burden.
I said "lacks", not "is poorly implemented".

So, what are "compatable" aspects of CP77 and GTA
1. Driving
2. Gunplay
3. Open world city

All seem better in CP77 from the outside.
Is it rude to call people comparing two completly different games, created for completly different audiences "dumb"? :)

GTA, as it is now, is more like an interactive Hollywood movie with (pointless) freeroaming between the story bits. (Which I hope CP will not be)

I don’t think it matters if GTA is better at... anything, really. Let it be better, if it is.

So, what are "compatable" aspects of CP77 and GTA
1. Driving
2. Gunplay
3. Open world city

All seem better in CP77 from the outside.
Is it rude to call people comparing two completly different games, created for completly different audiences "dumb"? :)

Yes, it's a tad rude :). It's a lot easier to judge a game on it's own merits, in my opinion. This is different from saying they cannot be compared or another person is wrong for wanting to do so.

Top Bottom