Why do people play as Monsters?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people play as Monsters?

After countless games against Monster decks i just cannot fathom their appeal in any shape or form.

From an aesthetic perspective the cards look like garbage, literally the art on all monsters cards are terrible, monochrome colors, undetailed and simply unrefined, amateur drawings that look like they were specifically drawn up to look unappealing, no finese at all.

:look:

From a Lore perspective, come on, monsters are lame, mindless slaves of some equally lame and unspectacular leader, you spent a game and two expansions destroying these creatres as the stylish and extremely likeable Geralt, now Gwent comes along and these former withchers who all have Geralt as their PSN avatar turn tail and become full time monster players for ranked play.

:facepalm:

From a gameplay perspective their painfully precitcable and boring, they don't really have any cool, smart tactics and they rack up points usually from weather spam. I mean, how many times can a person spawn harpy eggs and not feel the inherent ningling sensation that something in their life went terribly wrong for them to be in this position.

The cards themself have no pizazz or substance, harpies, nekkers, eggs, drowners, frost hounds. such ugly and souless cards with no character.

It's got to the point where Monsters are so ugly and unappealing they make me see the inherent style and pizazz of the rest of the factions, the ones that i once detested i now delight in.

Northern realms: A stalwart and resilent nation of proffesional soldiers that has resited all attempts at occupation. cool

Nilfgaard: A dark empire of domination with spies and occultists everywhere. cool

Scio'tel: A fractured band of dwarves and elves fighting a desperate gorilla war for their surivial. cool

Skellige: A intimidating armada of unrelenting warriors, ruthless pirates and viking attack ships. cool

Monsters: Monsters.

Are you catching my drift?

:troll:

Allow me to disagree. Monsters were and still my favourite faction since CB. And for ur info they are the most popular faction in gwent.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9013760 said:
From a gameplay perspective their painfully precitcable and boring, they don't really have any cool, smart tactics and they rack up points usually from weather spam.
1) Fog control
2) Frost Control
3) Mixed weather-consume
4) Noxious invented something like consume control lol.
5) We have regular consume as well.
6) Tactic with spawning a lot of little units and using Yennifer with unicorn and Iris (Irriitating as fuck. But fun.)

And I think that I missed something.

Oh well, really predictable and boring with limited amount of tactics. (No)

I mean, that is like your opinion dude. For me personally, NR is the most boring faction because you don't do anything besides stacking units and the units themselves are just nameless soldiers.

I liked monsters in witcher3 minigame, because was amazing to draw a bruxae+gargain+other3cards, also with crones was insane power
in closed beta i droped crones for oldspeartip+roach+earh elemental, and back them SC control was tricky to fight with consume but i managed to steal scorch with grifin.
Now consume is dead, so i play eredin control. too bad they nerfed speartip,roach,earth elemental so i had to return to crones.
i have 69% wins against skelige :)

Nobody is giving me any justifiable reason why they think monsters are so fabulous to play.

The rabble will always be the rabble i guess.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9030220 said:
Nobody is giving me any justifiable reason why they think monsters are so fabulous to play.

The issue is more, you have already made up your mind and refuse to see other perspectives unless it's the holy grail, which is something you will not ever find. So, you don't like Monsters and that's fine. Now excuse me while I enjoy a little R and R with:

Well, beause Wild Hunt are in monsters faction)
Lorewise - its a vanguard for race that seeks a new place to live escaping their own dying habitat. Sure, they disregard interest of those who currently populate the world they eyed up, but that very... human approach to the trouble.
Artwise - its a question of taste, there can be no constructive discussion on something as subjective as personal taste.
In terms of mechanics - well, you get Caranthir + Old Speartip brofist powerswing, wich is hillariously powerfull. Plus there is riders trio, and a whole layer of enabling it as your main finisher with Operator and Eredins ability, since WH rider is unarmored 6 (still don know why are they unarmored), you really need to bait removal and locks. Hell, i even run Quen just so they can survive. Basicly, its an uphill battle, but if you manage to get it going round 2- its a crushing pressure on your oponent that will stay there for round 3, capable of overpowering witchers/Crones/other popular tempo finishers. its satisfying. Caretaker still enables some of most interesting schenanigans. Sure, WH warriors are meh, riders are really hard to get going and you dont have access to any kind of power stagger aside from speartip, forcing you to use enemy removal for stagger, but i enjoy plaing it.
As for consume - well, dont like it myself, but if it works - there will be people willing to play it.

Clearly the OP is waiting for someone to tell him why HE should like Monsters. Not why other people like Monsters. He's the guy on Twitter who needs to be shown everything, and then still doesn't believe it.

"Brusselsprouts are good for me? Can you cite a source for that?"

Playing Monsters heals cancer, lets you lose weight without adapting your diet, and makes you rich and a better tennis player. Surveys have also shown that only 0.2% off all monsters players are single, whereas almost 52% of Northern Realms and Skellige players have noone in life who loves them. The artwork of Monsters cards is so bad to compensate for the immense beauty of the faction's players.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9030220 said:

The rabble will always be the rabble i guess.

Because you already answered your own question.
Weather, Harpies, among other powerful cards. Those are the reasons why some peoples play Monsters.
And also because unlike you, there is some persons who actually like this faction...

I can't say i'm suprisied with your replies.

"He's a troll" "Hey man, it's subjective" "harpiez are gr8 bro"

I mean, dosen't the familiar dynamic of the Monsters playstyle eventually get jarring or uninspiring to anyone? or do you have experience INDESCRIBABLE ECSTASY playing monsters everytime?

I agree Sucubus is their only good card, one with great art, a great concept and ability, but they should have had more then one card with character.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9035410 said:
I can't say i'm suprisied with your replies.

"He's a troll" "Hey man, it's subjective" "harpiez are gr8 bro"

I mean, dosen't the familiar dynamic of the Monsters playstyle eventually get jarring or uninspiring to anyone? or do you have experience INDESCRIBABLE ECSTASY playing monsters everytime?

I agree Sucubus is their only good card, one with great art, a great concept and ability, but they should have had more then one card with character.

It's subjective because it REALLY is...
they have great diversity and i personally like the art. We're talking about monsters here, they'r not supposed to all be the cool D4RK EDGE LORD anime bullshit you see in most game's monsters representations nowadays. But anyway, you just hate them because you hate them (maybe becausee you see many people playing them? i tend to hate decks that are played too much myself)... it's subjective like it or not, get over with it, there's no reason to be sick about such a thing...

You know, this reminds me of a time (1994, to be exact) when I first started playing M:tG with friends in high school. My buddy Kris (who I am still friends with, and hates this story), couldn't stand the card art by Drew Tucker. He HATED it. He gave me every card from every pack he ever opened if Drew Tucker did the artwork. Among these cards were two unlimited and four revised Plateaus (about 700 dollars, in todays money).

But whatever, I guess my point to the OP would be, if it offends your sensibilities so greatly, why not just mill your whole Monster faction, craft cards you think are pretty, and then turn off the machine? Other people seem to like Monsters just fine, and others tolerate their weather spamminess enough to keep playing. I don't think anyone else is looking to the devs for a change on this, so you might wanna learn to avert your eyes.

ALSO - If you are a PC player, you can always (if you are talented enough, or if you wanna pay enough) change the sprites on your localized version of the game, and then the Monster cards will look however you want them to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom