Why do people play as Monsters?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because in the current version Monsters are effective... give it a few nerfs and they will be gone again. After playing this game for 6 months I realize that if you don't like something, take a break with another game for a while and when you come back things will have changed.

I don't care about aesthetics, lore, or rich history, I just want to win.
Monsters have some of the best value cards in the game.
Dagon has a 60% winrate under 2.5k and a 56% winrate from 2.5k to 4.5k (and keep in mind a 52% is HIGH)
Woodland spirit has 5 power + 3 wolves, so 8, plus 3 foglets, so 14, plus the fog, which is going to be at least 2, so 1 card = 16 strength (+2 every turn) and it single handedly enables potion and horn.

When the deck becomes bad, we'll no longer play it.

Monsters are not all the same, in fact they're more diverse than any other faction. You've got mindless Nekkers and Ghouls on one hand and on the other you've got the Wild Hunt, most of whom aren't really monsters.

Nekrolyst;n9126650 said:
I love monsters, I think the artwork is great, especially the crones!

The premium crones sounds are pretty wicked....

4RM3D isn't Lifecoach playing a dwarf deck right now? I think JJ is playing a token swarm, but I've also seen him pilot the same "Snow Eithne and the 8 Dwarves" sort of deck.

Personally I got away from playing monsters, but that's just because it seemed very easy to pilot. If you play at the level of Lifecoach or SuperJJ that's very unlikely to be the case, but as someone who will probably never be a professional player, I enjoy playing a deck that doesn't seem to autopilot as much. I took a few hundred hit in MMR by doing this, but as I work it back up slowly I can see that its player skill (in a lot of cases), and not just that my deck's moves are largely telegraphed.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with playing monsters. Eredin's sort of control/swarm blend deck is certainly not easy to pilot, and the three archetypes presented are all different enough its likely that at least one will be top tier. Other people just want to play the netdeck that will take them the farthest and right now that's monsters. Its strong at all levels, isn't countered easily, and isn't terribly hard to play. That fact coupled with the fact that you can play a fairly strong deck with maybe 1 legendary craft from the faction (the rest being neutral) means that you can play a strong deck without overly committing to a single faction (great for the f2p player.)

harriyama;n9207661 said:
I don't care about aesthetics, lore, or rich history, I just want to win.
Monsters have some of the best value cards in the game.
Dagon has a 60% winrate under 2.5k and a 56% winrate from 2.5k to 4.5k (and keep in mind a 52% is HIGH)
Woodland spirit has 5 power + 3 wolves, so 8, plus 3 foglets, so 14, plus the fog, which is going to be at least 2, so 1 card = 16 strength (+2 every turn) and it single handedly enables potion and horn.

When the deck becomes bad, we'll no longer play it.

You are not enjoying the game half as much as you could without including those dimensions of the game, in particular aesthetics and being clever and original with your card choice.

Every game has the overpowered easy to play as character/faction/weapon that everyone who "just wants to win" uses.

People are then faced with a simple choice in my view, join the droves in their pathetic supplication to the "meta" or think outside the box and do something different but just as effective.

It's lame to the extreme that so many people are obsessed with winning no matter the cost.

Sorry to say but there is a certain aura of desperation around monster players for me, total turn off.

And as cultured gentleman i simply cannot bring myself to play as a faction of slimy nekkers and drowners.

:comeatmebro:

Because it hard counters the absolute <edit> of Skellige and Scoia and is immune to Nilfgaards BS too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few posts edited. Please do not bring nasty diseases into these forums. We would like to keep the atmosphere nice and healthy.

Last edited by 4RM3D; Today, 16:33. Reason: Let's play nice . I play nice from closed beta and im sick of monsters deck.Is no fun having 96% of opponent same deck

marina22;n9248391 said:
Last edited by 4RM3D; Today, 16:33. Reason: Let's play nice . I play nice from closed beta and im sick of monsters deck.Is no fun having 96% of opponent same deck

People are going to play the decks that work. Apparently Monster decks work. I play NG myself, but people can play what they want, when they want.

I play Monsters because CDPR made me, out of my 7 non-starter gold cards 3 are Monsters, and most of my first silvers were Monsters. Also Harpies are really good...

Cosume decks were made for children i wear.

"Summon daddy spider!!! haha, cannibal lizard eat egggggg NOW!!! haha, now face my spider army attack loser!!!"

:ugh:

Game still in beta :D hopefully things will change, expect them to have better drawings " not saying that current one's are bad " but to improve they need time and support

Because THE GATE MUST BE SECURE!
Also because I hate the Witcher universe and want monsters to eat everyone, including that insufferable douche Geralt.
Also because Monsters are the only deck I can play while listening death/black metal.
Also because most popular decks are even more braindead garbage that plays itself, and often does it way better and more reliably.
Also because I somehow always pick the most underpowered faction that suffers more than any other from the cheesiest OP card almost everyone carries around (Geralt Igni... so tactics, much skill wow!).

Void_Dweller;n9347391 said:
Because THE GATE MUST BE SECURE!
Also because I hate the Witcher universe and want monsters to eat everyone, including that insufferable douche Geralt.
Also because Monsters are the only deck I can play while listening death/black metal.
Also because most popular decks are even more braindead garbage that plays itself, and often does it way better and more reliably.
Also because I somehow always pick the most underpowered faction that suffers more than any other from the cheesiest OP card almost everyone carries around (Geralt Igni... so tactics, much skill wow!).

private image sharing

^average Monsters player

Last edited:
Why I play Monster? Well Archespore is a huge new reason. That lovely little plant is my new MVP for Deathwish decks (my favorite achetype).

Archespore has proven 2 things:

1: People never read cards, so many people hit my archespore with damage and I just laughs a little as it resets. And even if they kill it, boom, 4 damage from the Deathwish leaving as at least a 9 power swing.
2: Weather decks make the above twice as fun. Watching three plants jump around, damaging his board while shrugging of the weather is hilarious. Even better against frost where they will jump to rows where you have other creatures and take the hit for them, resetting next turn.

In general I have so many new cards to test and try with Deathwish now that it is just awesome. I cant fit them all in one deck, I dont even really need to consume anymore to go Deathwish with all the new ways to trigger and synergize of it. By archespore is gonna be a stable with how it has performed so far.

I
TriforceDragon;n9402761 said:
Why I play Monster? Well Archespore is a huge new reason. That lovely little plant is my new MVP for Deathwish decks (my favorite achetype).

Archespore has proven 2 things:

1: People never read cards, so many people hit my archespore with damage and I just laughs a little as it resets. And even if they kill it, boom, 4 damage from the Deathwish leaving as at least a 9 power swing.
2: Weather decks make the above twice as fun. Watching three plants jump around, damaging his board while shrugging of the weather is hilarious. Even better against frost where they will jump to rows where you have other creatures and take the hit for them, resetting next turn.

In general I have so many new cards to test and try with Deathwish now that it is just awesome. I cant fit them all in one deck, I dont even really need to consume anymore to go Deathwish with all the new ways to trigger and synergize of it. By archespore is gonna be a stable with how it has performed so far.

I am looking forward to try some deathwish decks and other ideas that I've had seeing the new cards. For now, I have been trying to see how the new changes affect the Wild Hunt archetype, and I have to say that I am not impressed so far. I'm sure after playing a bit more I'll refine the deck and how to play it, but for now it feels really underwhelming. Frost does not hit very hard to begin with, and the accompanying units are not strong enough to compensate for that. And that is before taking into account that there are many, many ways to play around weather, so many of those weather cards will do nothing or very little. And on top of that, it is really easy to be left with cards that can't do what they are supposed to do because you don't have, or have already played, the sister card (longboats with only one other wild hunt unit, riders or hunters without weather...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom