Why do they do it?

+
They clearly stated money was no worries. There are plenty of interviews and plenty of people who spoke out and said money was literally no issue here. Especially since the Gov also funded them.

No, their money is not well like it seems.
Here is the point, What make CDPR a valuable company?
They use TW series make a cheese that they can use half money and half time to build a AAA game, even one of the best.
If CDPR want to uprise a new step, they need to continue this mythology.
That means CP2077 need to be work out not too late, and it must earn great money, which not only cover the cost, but also support them to develop next AAA game.
The math is, if CP2077 release at 2020, it have to sell about 8~9million full rate copy to cover the cost, then plus 50% to earn the money for next game, since the cost always rise. If the borad need a great report form, 100% is better because that means they will have much money for CPOL, and look at GTA, successful OL mode is the true money maker.
If you read the news, the number is very close to the Next-Game-Deadline.
If CP delay, every year the cost rise 1~2million. That's means if the game delay to 2022, the much suitable day, the NGD increase to about 17million full rate copy, that's almost the top sale number of global market.
So, even the game prepared at 2022, it still a huge risk of failure, what if the game just sell 15million?
RDR2 actually not touch their goal, but they have GTA to keep company running, CDPR not have such thing.
So I hate the board, but understand their choice. If CP2077 fail at low level cost, they still have some room.
Look at now, the worst thing happened but CDPR still catch the NGD, which means another game aviliable, another chance to save the company.
If they fail at 2022, they might really need the help of Gov.

Why did they give each gang it's own looks, lore, cars and weapons only to stop there and leave them at a point where they're all essentially interchangeable?

Possibly because they decided to force V into the merc life. A mercenary picking sides with gangs doesn't quite track with the profession. This is why you wouldn't make such a design choice in a game with so much potential to explore the factions of the setting in the first place.

Possibly because they decided to force V into the merc life. A mercenary picking sides with gangs doesn't quite track with the profession. This is why you wouldn't make such a design choice in a game with so much potential to explore the factions of the setting in the first place.

Why not?

A mercenary, by definition, is someone who will do X job for Y pay. These gangs have money. V doesn't have to be the high-morality kind of merc if you don't your V to be. Furthermore, there are certainly gangs that are certainly more heavily on the "evil" side of the scale like Maelstrom but on the other hand the Moxi aren't nearly as bad and even do some arguably good things according to the lore.

That's why I'm saying it could only add to the RPG experience. Give your V a whole new dimension to explore.

I think it's perfectly logical within the current setting.

Why not?

A mercenary, by definition, is someone who will do X job for Y pay. These gangs have money. V doesn't have to be the high-morality kind of merc if you don't your V to be. Furthermore, there are certainly gangs that are certainly more heavily on the "evil" side of the scale like Maelstrom but on the other hand the Moxi aren't nearly as bad and even do some arguably good things according to the lore.

That's why I'm saying it could only add to the RPG experience. Give your V a whole new dimension to explore.

I think it's perfectly logical within the current setting.

By lore standards Mecs go through Fixers to get the jobs, they don't normally approach the gangs or gang leaders themselves as a precaution - and I suppose neutrality.

The Fixers mostly represent the gangs affiliated with them and hence forward relevant jobs to the Mercs, just how Night City gigs work.

I suppose they could have a gang system working where V could have joined them but I don't believe it's relevant to our character as the story goes.

I would actually like to see a rep system in place that makes gangs either more violent or passive towards the main character - perhaps have random ambushes kind of like the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor.

Would be nice to have some gangs call for backup when V gets detected or have them ambush V in the middle of a gig and cause carnage :).

By lore standards Mecs go through Fixers to get the jobs, they don't normally approach the gangs or gang leaders themselves as a precaution - and I suppose neutrality.

The Fixers mostly represent the gangs affiliated with them and hence forward relevant jobs to the Mercs, just how Night City gigs work.

I suppose they could have a gang system working where V could have joined them but I don't believe it's relevant to our character as the story goes.

I would actually like to see a rep system in place that makes gangs either more violent or passive towards the main character - perhaps have random ambushes kind of like the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor.

Would be nice to have some gangs call for backup when V gets detected or have them ambush V in the middle of a gig and cause carnage :).

I agree that it doesn't really make sense for V to join a gang in any way shape or form.

Yet, you save the leader of the Maelstrom, you personally meet the leader of the Moxi. Why would they go through fixers when they know exactly who you are and how efficient you are? Eliminate the middle-man so to speak.

My point is that it would be fairly easy to weave in and make it entirely logical to bypass fixers. There are quite a few moments in the game where fixers are bypassed already.

A nemesis system would be glorious in this game but it's not happening. Shit's copyrighted now... lol

A basic reputation system (they like you/they don't and react accordingly) would be the bare minimum for this game.

My point is that it would be fairly easy to weave in and make it entirely logical to bypass fixers. There are quite a few moments in the game where fixers are bypassed already.

Just how the hierarchy works in NC, the fixers provide security and neutrality instead of having mercs affiliated with certain individuals as far as I understand it.

Of course sometimes it gets bypassed for personal reasons but by and large fixers assign the right mercs for the right jobs in general and maintain a neutrality between the gangs as some gangs have problems within and between themselves as well (like the Mox and Tyger Claws) so they hire mercs to deal with them and not expose themselves to turf wars.

P.S. I have to apologize for facilitating in another off topic so I'll just end it here :D.

Just how the hierarchy works in NC, the fixers provide security and neutrality instead of having mercs affiliated with certain individuals as far as I understand it.

Of course sometimes it gets bypassed for personal reasons but by and large fixers assign the right mercs for the right jobs in general and maintain a neutrality between the gangs as some gangs have problems within and between themselves as well (like the Mox and Tyger Claws) so they hire mercs to deal with them and not expose themselves to turf wars.

That's also how I understand fixers.

Yet, it doesn't negate the possibility and feasibility of, to take your example, the leader of the Mox who you already met to contact you for a little hush hush kind of job against the Tyger Claws. A job she doesn't want anyone to know about. Could make for some very interesting covert type missions too.

This could be part of a reputation system that could open more of these types of jobs and potentially rare or even unique gear from the gangs themselves while locking you out of working with other gangs.

But this is getting way too in-depth. I doubt we're ever seeing any kind of in-depth gang system. Maybe at a much, much later date in an expansion.

See the posts by Exxed.

My interpretation of the structure for the fixer, merc and gang dynamic is it keeps everything neutral. The gang isn't going to have a beef with the fixer or the merc because of this structure. The gang probably will have a beef with the client. If a merc started working for a specific gang without going through a fixer there is a very real possibility the rival gang would eventually view them as the client. It could be seen as a violation of this neutrality.

I think the only reason V stepped out of the proverbial framework was because they were facing imminent death.

This could be part of a reputation system that could open more of these types of jobs and potentially rare or even unique gear from the gangs themselves while locking you out of working with other gangs.

A reputation or faction system would be great. It could work with the existing content. I'd be okay with it myself. I'm not sure a merc would see it this way though. It could burn bridges with fixers too. In my opinion it would work far better if the player wasn't forced to be a merc at all. In that case you'd bypass such issues entirely.

Sadly, I can't say I'm holding my breath on either approach. The second option is the ship broke anchor and is already well beyond the horizon type of deal.

P.S. I have to apologize for facilitating in another off topic so I'll just end it here :D.

Meh. Maybe it's a little OT. I'd call it topic adjacent. Technically it's all still very much in line with, "Why'd they do it?". It may not be about why the game released as it did but it's not hurting anything.

See the posts by Exxed.

My interpretation of the structure for the fixer, merc and gang dynamic is it keeps everything neutral. The gang isn't going to have a beef with the fixer or the merc because of this structure. The gang probably will have a beef with the client. If a merc started working for a specific gang without going through a fixer there is a very real possibility the rival gang would eventually view them as the client. It could be seen as a violation of this neutrality.

I think the only reason V stepped out of the proverbial framework was because they were facing imminent death.

A reputation or faction system would be great. It could work with the existing content. I'd be okay with it myself. I'm not sure a merc would see it this way though. It could burn bridges with fixers too. In my opinion it would work far better if the player wasn't forced to be a merc at all. In that case you'd bypass such issues entirely.

Sadly, I can't say I'm holding my breath on either approach. The second option is the ship broke anchor and is already well beyond the horizon type of deal.

Meh. Maybe it's a little OT. I'd call it topic adjacent. Technically it's all still very much in line with, "Why'd they do it?". It may not be about why the game released as it did but it's not hurting anything.

It's not like we don't have examples in the game of gunning for fixers. Wakako clearly implies she's disposed of would be rivals.

And then there's the classic example of Rogue being wary about Adam Smasher because she knows he would come hunting for her, and she fears him. The Militech guy in the cargo ship even rubs it in her face, that the only reason she survived after the Arasaka assault was by keeping a low profile and appeasing corporate benefactors to shield her from the fallout with Arasaka.

The obvious reason why Fixers cannot be disposed of in this game is that the game's quest delivery relies on them, and unlike games like Baldur's Gate, they simply didn't code in replacements if one of them died (other than V taking over the Afterlife if Rogue dies).

The simple truth is that a lot of the promised branching and variable outcome scenarios were either smoke and mirrors from the very beginning, or got cut as they couldn't meet deadlines before release. And the 3 delays to then still release a half baked game point toward the latter.

Something in the development of CP2077 was incredibly wasteful/inefficient, because this game certainly does not justify 4-5 years of development assuming you ignored the 7 year announcement.

Last edited:
It's not like we don't have examples in the game of gunning for fixers. Wakako clearly implies she's disposed of would be rivals.

Well, I looked at it along the lines of the John Wick movies. There was a consortium of international assassins. They killed people for money. There were also rules. A code, if you will. The premise behind some of the movies is our pal Keanu says screw the rules. He encounters.... problems as a result.

In CP I got the same vibe. There are clients, fixers and mercs. The client goes to a fixer and says they have a problem. The fixer does some leg work, formulates a job then contacts a merc. The merc carries out the job. In this case it's part of the code. Fixers/mercs are relatively neutral.

I seem to recall Wakako offers insight into the dynamic if you press her about it. Basically saying she was, in some sense, an extension of the Tiger Claws. Since she is a fixer and only supplies certain jobs other factions won't come after her. Not normally anyway. I assumed when she said rivals she meant people vying for her position as a fixer. Perhaps people from her previous life before she became a fixer.

And then there's the classic example of Rogue being wary about Adam Smasher because she knows he would come hunting for her, and she fears him. The Militech guy in the cargo ship even rubs it in her face, that the only reason she survived after the Arasaka assault was by keeping a low profile and appeasing corporate benefactors to shield her from the fallout with Arasaka.

See, this would be an example of tossing the rules aside. Johnny and friends hit up Arasaka on a personal mission. Smasher enters the picture to stop them. Even if Rogue is acting as a fixer for this "job" she is there personally. At that point she may as well be the client. Clients, unlike fixers/mercs, are not neutral.

As noted above, just because there is a code or set of rules in place doesn't mean they are always observed. For any of the involved parties. It wouldn't be surprising if certain jobs were viewed as unacceptable in the eyes of the target.

I'm not saying any of it makes sense. If I was some gang/corp leader and a merc did a job for a fixer against me at the request of a client I'd hold all three responsible. The client, fixer, all mercs and anyone else on that side of the job. I'm pointing out an interpretation based on the game presentation of the lore. Nothing more or less.

The simple truth is that a lot of the promised branching and variable outcome scenarios were either smoke and mirrors from the very beginning, or got cut as they couldn't meet deadlines before release. And the 3 delays to then still release a half baked game point toward the latter.

Something in the development of CP2077 was incredibly wasteful/inefficient, because this game certainly does not justify 4-5 years of development assuming you ignored the 7 year announcement.

You're preaching to the choir. I suppose it shifts us a bit closer to the topic. Why do they do it? Bad decision making is definitely an option.

I have my suspicions why they did it and why all the companies do it.
Just follow the money, you ll find your answer there. The sad truth is
(call it a "guess") they need to keep the shareholders happy.

Turned out alright, looking at the course, didn't it? (yes i am cynical)

I rly kinda doubt they ran out of money, just look at the earnings reports.
Even GoG managed to be profitable.

Problem for the future is, that CDPR destroyed their good reputation
with this move. Just like all the others before them. This time around it did
even hurt more, because (i believe) CDPR was seen as the one of the last
GOOD examples how things can be handled in a customer friendly way.

True reputation can't be bought, it ll be a long way, to restore that and even then
doubts will now always remain. As for the industry, at this point after over 30 years
of being a video game player, i tend to believe only a new video game crash can
initiate big changes, so the companies have to rethink their customer approach.

Last edited:
I've said it many times on this and other forums, but the government needs to get involved (like the FCC in the US) to outlaw the practice of "pre-ordering".

The very LAST thing we need is for governments to get involved to "save" grown-ass adults from their own stupidity.

Here's an idea for consumers: actively try to make better decisions.

Well, quality in video game.

It is :

1 : A working and enjoyable gameplay.

2 : A working and challenging AI

3 : A working and clear UI.

4 : A working and efficient inventory management.

5 : A working and understandable game mechanics.

6 : A lack of glitchs, bugs and game blocking events.

7 : A lot of possibilities, letting the player do as he like with what the game give him.

8 : A good use of music and sound effects to give an atmosfere.

I'm talking in general, not for CP specifically. I play in majority 4X games and all this points are necessary. As you can see, I don't put the pretty graphics in the list because a lot of indie has proven that ultra 4K with several million of polygons for each face meeted in the game is not the alpha and omega of a good game.

What does give CP2077 to me?

1 : Hacking freeze me in place one of ten tries. Slow motion is bugged and being in stealth mode during discussion is tiring.

2 : No need to talk about the AI.

3 : Infamous mini map, UI who dispaear periodically and Relic glitch lasting hours of game. Horrible.

4 : Crafting and sorting items is a chore.

5 : Perks are bugged or non functional. Evasion and critical are all over the place.

6 : Each time I tak control of the security cameras, I am glued to the place. Great... And the list is long in my gameplay.

7 : Too linear and too promising. No customisation in a LOT of places.

8 : Why can't I listen to music outside a car? I have a phone in my head after all... But the musics are fine, yes.

Playing a lot of obscure games and some protos made with RPGmaker, I'm not into elitism. For the video game world, it is probably something like "this series is better than this one!" but it looks more like clans, no?

About the OP, we must probably follow the money. Not only the external and internal pressures but the launch period absolutely ideal : Lot of people blocked in their houses, no big games at the moment, Christmas, the new consoles launch... A good CP2077 would be a system buyer for the new PS and Xbox so perhaps a bit of pressure from them?

Well, they get their money back now. What we don't know is if they will do something like that again. After all, they are wealthier now.
Nailed it in this post

Most companies have to operate with very narrow profit margins. That true in general, not just with gaming studios. If you have a million dollars worth of assets, it doesn't mean you have a million dollars to spend. It's not that simple. It takes a decade to make a decent game. That means you aren't getting paid for a decade, just spending money.

I'm not trying to make make excuses for CDPR even though I enjoyed the game. I played it on PC, and that console business, well I don't think there's a good excuse for that misplay. I feel bad for the console players.

The very LAST thing we need is for governments to get involved to "save" grown-ass adults from their own stupidity.

Here's an idea for consumers: actively try to make better decisions.
If only that actually worked! Companies also know kids will find ways to buy things. My grandson figured out he can buy Fortnite cosmetics using my card that was on his Xbox to originally buy his Xbox Live subscription. By the time I figured out what was going on he had racked up $500 in charges. It never crossed his mind that what he was doing was bad, he just needed the Fortnite cosmetics like a junkie needs crack.

Top Bottom