Why Do You Still Play?

+
Mystikast;n9215861 said:
At this point, I can barely bring myself to login for the 6win daily.

Even with 3 decks, it's the same matches over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

it basically comes down to coin flip and draw. All the rest is predictable.

it's sad, because I truly love the game and want it to be the next big thing, but dang it got boring very quick.

I think the lack of variety and modes did it for me. Also the good decks to play are not fun decks to play (for the most part).

Hi. So i can relate 100% on your feelings and thoughts here, but here's my reason for playing it.

First off, similarly i do not play every day, not even to get the 6 round wins anymore. I simply do not care in the sense that i find it too boring. Boring because the predictability it's at it's zenith atm. in Gwent. I already suggested this should be addressed with cards that add variety. Not RNG, variety. More Mages cards, more "Clear weather" units that fit in multiple archetypes? I don't know, but predictability is killing it for me.

This also comes down to the 25 only limit decks and the already 10 in hand. This much consistency also adds to the predictability, but that's another topic. I keep playing (even every other day or so) because i do have this horrible thing called "faith" in CDPR and also because with few exceptions i do not think there are too many quality games out there to invest time and effort. Meaning, i do want to support CDPR, though i already knew from CBT this would be a rollercoaster of balancing with Monsters and Weather (i still believe Weather is bs as it's functionality...) and unfortunately i wasn't wrong.

I think the game will be better in a year from now but not soon enough honestly. Time will tell i guess. Latest cards look promising but i doubt they'll be enough. There are a ton of things i would like to see now and not in a year from now, yet, it is what it is.

I play to gain more cards, to be better situated for when the game is "released", and for fun. I make my own decks. Someone said outsmarting, yes, that's a thing. If you don't net deck, you can create serious problems for the so-called T1 decks. :D Experimentation is fun, for me. I am looking forward to this next patch...and my next barrel, and my next "necessary" card, and..........

nunqmuo;n9219871 said:
Because the decks that win are T1 decks. And if you use T1 decks it's not you winning the games, it's your deck. In all honesty there's nothing to outsmart right now.

Such is my take on the question. Even though it's not addressed to me.

According to the Gwentlemen's meat snapshot all T1 decks are Dagon at the moment, so you're definitely right about it being the decks that win the games. Swarm and weather require a very minimal amount of skill and thought to play.

So boring to just spam fog and harpies. I admit I played the swarm for a little while (shame on me), but it was so autopilot that there was no fun in it.

I stopped playing for the dailies yesterday, when I realized that even in casual every other opponent uses a Swarm or Weather deck.

I can understand it in ranked play, but in casual?! Dagon everywhere?!

Btw, 80% of the problem is Caelano Harpy (just like last patch it was axemen and bears) and its insane power/carryover.
They should definitely schedule to officially patch/hotfix/adjust the game at least once a month (if not every 2-3 weeks), the meta settles too quickly.

I play since I'm still having fun. I'm mostly just goofing around on casual nowadays and just trying different decks out for fun. People seem to just plain way overthink this game and take it too seriously....just means they FF sooner! lol

For me personally, the tactical aspect of the game doesn't fade out and even if the "competitive" decks are the same (with some minor variations depending on each players (unless they're doing some net decking) which is important to mention), every game are different to me.

A game doesn't need to have a lot of content in order to be complexe (think about Chess for example, always the same pieces yet so many combinations and such a complicate game) and I tend to like complexity when it stands to amusement (I know, it's weird).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want more content, of course I do, please CDPR put as much cards and mods as you want but I'm not getting bored of the game despite the meta (especially since it gets easier and easier to create viable decks that can beat it with every fix they do).

Guest 4021160

GenLiu;n9223081 said:
A game doesn't need to have a lot of content in order to be complexe (think about Chess for example, always the same pieces yet so many combinations and such a complicate game) and I tend to like complexity when it stands to amusement

Couldn't agree more. +1

Card design and animations (initialy I thought that I'd never be able to get back to HS, which is teletubby design in comparison), game world. Now I can barely endure to grind to level 6 for a keg each day.

Game design and mechanics are massively flawed though, unfortunately.

The often encountered discrepancy in computer games between breathtaking graphics, excelling sound effects + awesome interfaces on the one side, and horrible music, terrible fluff, dysfunctional game design + flawed game mechanics on the other side often astoinishes me. You'd think that game design is the easy part, actually.

GenLiu;n9223081 said:
For me personally, the tactical aspect of the game doesn't fade out and even if the "competitive" decks are the same (with some minor variations depending on each players (unless they're doing some net decking) which is important to mention), every game are different to me.

A game doesn't need to have a lot of content in order to be complexe (think about Chess for example, always the same pieces yet so many combinations and such a complicate game) and I tend to like complexity when it stands to amusement (I know, it's weird).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want more content, of course I do, please CDPR put as much cards and mods as you want but I'm not getting bored of the game despite the meta (especially since it gets easier and easier to create viable decks that can beat it with every fix they do).

The chess analogy falls apart because in chess both sides start with the same pieces. The only variable prior to the game start is who goes first. It would fit better as a Gwent analogy if one player had fewer/different pieces prior to the game start. Yes, the implication is certain decks/builds are innately superior to others right now. You can run with a non top tier deck, tech against top tier decks and, outside of outplaying them considerably or having better draws (more/better pieces), still likely lose the game.

I'd also add Gwent has enough cards right now to be complex. In the cases where it is not it has little to do with limited card variety, and more to do with piss poor balance of the cards we have.

Restlessdingo32;n9231911 said:
The chess analogy falls apart because in chess both sides start with the same pieces. The only variable prior to the game start is who goes first. It would fit better as a Gwent analogy if one player had fewer/different pieces prior to the game start. Yes, the implication is certain decks/builds are innately superior to others right now. You can run with a non top tier deck, tech against top tier decks and, outside of outplaying them considerably or having better draws (more/better pieces), still likely lose the game.

I'd also add Gwent has enough cards right now to be complex. In the cases where it is not it has little to do with limited card variety, and more to do with piss poor balance of the cards we have.

errr...I wasn't saying that Gwent is the same as Chess right? I was sying that Gwent is a complexe game regardless of the content it has compared to other CCGs but I never said that Gwent and Chess are similar in nature...That would have been dumb indeed.

About the balance of the game, I trully believe that a lot of peoples aren't realizing the quality of cards we have access to in Gwent. Again, it's probably the most balanced CCG I've ever played in my life.
Take the most famous one for example, if you watch some tournaments in Standard or Modern. That game has a card pool of over 1O.OOO cards yet if you play green you will ALWAYS play with Tarmogoyf, if you play blue Force of will is ALWAYS going to be the pick...

I'm not saying that the balance of Gwent is perfect but honestly it's far from being "piss poor".

I continue to play, because I don't have to win. I can play Casual or Ranked, doesn't matter. I can usually make 2 tiers within 90 minutes, and even that isn't that important. I play mostly because I'm a collector and I'm pretty content to grind in my free time. I'm very good at multi-tasking, so I can play Gwent while I do other things. Whether it's reading, writing, building Legos, whatever.

Of course, I have played the same deck for months now, and it plays consistently. That's a big part of my enjoyment of the game. Would it be nice to test other decks? Maybe. But I have to have almost a free day to do that. But my main deck doesn't frustrate me. It's reliable, it plays well, and nothing in the coming patch will hurt it or help it. In fact, nothing in the previous patches of OB have even affected my deck all that much. It's been the same, and that's part of my pleasure too. I didn't have to mill other factions to build it, none of it got nerfed to the point I had to start over, and even when the meta shifted, I could add 2 Lacerates and one weather removal creature and still play consistently against Monsters.

I'm level 38 and Rank 17, and I am not in a rush to go any higher than that. Naturally, playing at all will cause me to level up, but if I play 50/50 in ranked and hover in the same position, I'll live with ending there for the season. Like I said, it's about the collection, not the rewards.

I'm still playing a bit because I like to experiment with different decks. However my problem is that with level 45+ in casual I mostly get opponents that are ranked between rank 18 and 20 (I only had one rank 12 and two rank 17 opponent in the past 20 matches). And most of these players use net decks (especially Queensguard...), which makes experimenting kind of problematic.

In general the games balancing is fine though. Sure there's a lot room for improvement but gwent isn't in a bad spot. Just needs new cards and a few adjustments here and there.

Why? because it is best card game right now there is nothing that comes close to it. Even if we mostly just whine here on forums it is most balanced ccg out there, believe it or not.

devivre;n9233871 said:
which makes experimenting kind of problematic.

Wha is problematic about that ?

GenLiu;n9233411 said:
errr...I wasn't saying that Gwent is the same as Chess right? I was sying that Gwent is a complexe game regardless of the content it has compared to other CCGs but I never said that Gwent and Chess are similar in nature...That would have been dumb indeed.

About the balance of the game, I trully believe that a lot of peoples aren't realizing the quality of cards we have access to in Gwent. Again, it's probably the most balanced CCG I've ever played in my life.
Take the most famous one for example, if you watch some tournaments in Standard or Modern. That game has a card pool of over 1O.OOO cards yet if you play green you will ALWAYS play with Tarmogoyf, if you play blue Force of will is ALWAYS going to be the pick...

I'm not saying that the balance of Gwent is perfect but honestly it's far from being "piss poor".

I'm aware why you made the analogy. What I'm getting at is there is already a large enough card base for deck variety. I don't mean variety in the sense you can throw random cards together and run with it either. I mean build a variety of competitive decks with every faction. The reason this isn't happening at higher MMR is directly due to the design of existing cards. Certain cards are either auto-include at a faction wide or build/concept wide level. They're that good. Others are best avoided because there is no way for them to see consistent value or they do not compete with alternatives in any conceivable scenario. Likewise, certain concepts, like tempo/buff/unit/carry-over spam tend to rule the realm. You can run with another concept, like go the control heavy route, but it's an uphill battle. Even there it's a lost cause without tempo/buff/removal options to negate or keep pace with the buff/carry-over spam.

I'd also point out some bronzes routinely exceed silver/gold value. Some cards have positive points, thinning and control all rolled into one. Many of the stronger cards not only create very good value but do it consistently and take no effort to do so. Others can give good value but must be used under very strict conditions to get it. This is why I said balance is poor.

lomvicmarko;n9236191 said:
Wha is problematic about that ?

Against a fleshed out QG deck or typical dagon decks playing with an experimental built is not much fun.

Basically it forces you to take less risk. Which is problably one reason why 80% of the players in casual play mainstream decks.

Because it's fun. Even playing just one deck (I'm at 3900) I still have unique interactions almost every match. I love the drama.

devivre;n9237341 said:
Against a fleshed out QG deck or typical dagon decks playing with an experimental built is not much fun.

Basically it forces you to take less risk. Which is problably one reason why 80% of the players in casual play mainstream decks.

Well you should look to play against fleshed out deck with experimental one then you know how well it does.
You get valuable info from such matches. What is the point of experimenting if you can't face top decks.

Why I still play:

I still lack a lot of silver and gold cards which I want to use some day (f2p player). At the moment I save my kegs for the time when the new cards arrive. In the meantime I build my own "fun" or "experimental" decks without looking at other decks on the internet. I even play ranked with them and have to say they perform way better than I thought (rank 18). The games are also less predictable which results in more fun IMO.

I think the game is still fun overall and I also expect that there are good things to come. We need of course more card variety.

lomvicmarko;n9247951 said:
Well you should look to play against fleshed out deck with experimental one then you know how well it does.
You get valuable info from such matches. What is the point of experimenting if you can't face top decks.

When developing a deck personally I want to slowly adjust it and not face one "worst case scenario" after the other. Ideal for me is having both types of opponents in casual, high ranked and ranks 10 and higher - which is how casual often used to be. Only in the past few weeks it has somewhat shifted. But I'm optimistic that when the new cards are out and more people are playing that will improve.

Anyhow if you have different preferences, I'm fine with that. I didn't intend to make a big thing of that - it's just the way I see it.

Top Bottom