Why Does "Applying Patches" Take so Long?

+
This happened with the other patches but 1.06 is crazy long. The patch downloaded Ok but applying it takes hours. It's been on 91% for an hour now. What the heck is going on? I'm not doing anything else on the computer to interfere, except for this one forum post.

This happened with the other patches but 1.06 is crazy long. The patch downloaded Ok but applying it takes hours. It's been on 91% for an hour now. What the heck is going on? I'm not doing anything else on the computer to interfere, except for this one forum post.

Applying porting of patch installation is taking long because its Reading and Writing to a large group of files. The last 600Mb patch actually read and rewrote around 40-50Gb worth of files. So if you didnt have at least that much drive space on top of the currently installed drive space, then it would be slow. Especially if you are not using an SSD.

I have 300GB free on the HD where the game is installed. Yea it isn't a SSD but hours for even 60GB?

Couldve been the GOG Platform itself then. That has happened before. Restart GOG, if a patch doesnt continue then do a Validate/Repair Files on the game, and let it do its thing to see if it continues.

It's because it's unpacking, patching and repacking files. If the file is really large then it takes longer for it to repack.

I'm having the same problem with every patch. It takes for ever and gets stuck at 91% for a looong ting on GOG. On one side I am happy for every patch that comes out, but on the other hand I know i will have to set aside 2 hours every time. Thats just ridiculous. It is possible to play at the same time, but it is way more lagging and FPS drops.

If you have a high speed internet connection, removing and downloading the game can be faster lol. It's about how the game packaged/how fast your harddrive/how big the changes that comes with the update etc.

Just be sure you don't close Steam while it's applying the update, I did it and I end up with downloading whole game again.

And why does it take 100% of the disk to do so? Can't even watch YouTube videos while its applying the updates... But this is probably more of a Galaxy issue than a 2077 issue.

Stuck on 92% for over 40 minutes. This is just unacceptable, no matter what platform, game or game developer it is. Precious playing time is lost by sitting and waiting for an eternity every time the game releases a patch.
Post automatically merged:

And... I believe there will be a lot of them. Will probably have to change tactics and put on patches for download and installation when you are not going to play.

Stuck on 92% for over 40 minutes. This is just unacceptable, no matter what platform, game or game developer it is. Precious playing time is lost by sitting and waiting for an eternity every time the game releases a patch.
Post automatically merged:

And... I believe there will be a lot of them. Will probably have to change tactics and put on patches for download and installation when you are not going to play.

This is were it pays off to have a separate drive for games rather than installing on the same drive as your OS.

This is were it pays off to have a separate drive for games rather than installing on the same drive as your OS.

I have a 2TB drive only for games with 728GB free space. It is only a regular hard drive and not an SSD, but my point is that all other game developers manage to deliver patches without having to reinstall the whole game every time there is a new patch.

just because game is installed on SSD it doesnt mean all writes will be fast... SSDs are fast, but if you need to write a lot of small files, their speed goes down dramatically... and thats exactly what patch does... it updates small files within the game packs...

For comparison. I just installed a 5.63GB Assassin's Creed Valhalla patch on Uplay. It took 10 minutes from start to finish.
They have clearly found a way to implement patches without having to overwrite every single file in the game every time a new patch comes out. But as I said before, a change in tactic is required. Just put on the patch for downloading and installing before going to dinner or something, and it wont be a problem ;)

I have Epic. I have yet to actually see a patch added. It just shows up when I turn on my computer and start the game.

Top Bottom