Why does Johnny sound so muffled?

+
Okay, so I don't know if this is actually a technical issue or if it's actually on purpose, but I just have to ask.

After 250 hours of playtime I decided to take a little break a couple of months ago. Booted the game up yesterday and immediately thought Johnny sounds different. Like, weirdly muffled. Everyone else sounds fine, though.

I googled the issue and didn't find anyone describing the same issue, so I thought I was going crazy or something.

Then I came to the cutscene with Alt backstage. There's one line where he sounds just as I remember him sounding, and the rest is muffled again. So I'm clearly not imagining things and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with my setup (which, I'm on Stadia by the way). You can hear for yourself here.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?

Since 1.2, there is some sound problems (on every platform). Not linked to your setup.
If it really bothers you, better to wait for a future patch, it will be corrected that's for sure ;)

"WHY DOES JOHNNY SOUND SO MUFFLED?"

Because he's in your head?

It's the same for female V's voice when she's talking to Johnny. (Don't play with male V so don't know). It's a kind of sound when talking in a small enclosed quarters. Seems to be working as intended to me. In your vid it's Johnny by himself so his voice is normal.

When female V starts talking to Johnny for the first time in the restaurant, she screams at him. Her voice is normal and everyone can hear what she says. Then she starts talking to him "in her head", and no one else seems to be able to hear her. Her voice sounds different then, "muffled", as you call it.

Pretty sure it's just intended to be immersive.

In your vid it's Johnny by himself so his voice is normal.
Well, no. The first line he says sounds normal. When he speaks after Alt has replied to what he said, it sounds weirdly muffled again, which makes no sense as he's obviously not in your head at that point.

Female V also sounds totally normal to me when she's speaking with Johnny's engram. And I definitely don't think this is what it sounds like in real life when you're talking in an enclosed quarter. More like someone's talking through a shitty phone speaker with you.

Well, no. The first line he says sounds normal. When he speaks after Alt has replied to what he said, it sounds weirdly muffled again, which makes no sense as he's obviously not in your head at that point.

Female V also sounds totally normal to me when she's speaking with Johnny's engram. And I definitely don't think this is what it sounds like in real life when you're talking in an enclosed quarter. More like someone's talking through a shitty phone speaker with you.
In that case, you should consider sending a bug report on the official tech support website. Posting issues on these forums, other player's opinions is all you'll ever get.

Top Bottom