Why Does V Have New York Accent?

+
Really? So you're saying it's immersion breaking and not accurate for people to have moved from one coast to another? That once you reach the left coast, you immediately install cyberware to change your accent to fit?

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
The only V that's not from Night City is Nomad V. Street Kid and Corpo V are born and raised in Night City. So yeah, it is an accurate question to ask why V sounds like he's from the East Coast when Night City is located south of the Bay Area.

The only V that's not from Night City is Nomad V. Street Kid and Corpo V are born and raised in Night City. So yeah, it is an accurate question to ask why V sounds like he's from the East Coast when Night City is located south of the Bay Area.
My mum was born in England yet has a thick Scottish accent.

Dont take much to figure out why

Just to add, the site "dialectsarchive" has Dialects and Accents from around the world.

No, it's really not. LOL

I moved to Washington State nearly 15 years ago, and I still have people asking me which southern state I'm from because of my accent.

Some of them even guess Louisiana right off, and ask which Parish.

It's definitely not unreasonable to think someone in NC didn't come from there originally.

No, it's really not. LOL

I moved to Washington State nearly 15 years ago, and I still have people asking me which southern state I'm from because of my accent.

Some of them even guess Louisiana right off, and ask which Parish.

It's definitely not unreasonable to think someone in NC didn't come from there originally.
Except the game tells you Street Kid V grew up in Heywood and Corpo V grew up in Charter Hill. Nomad V grew up in the Badlands, which is located in SoCal.

Mr V indeed sounds strange. I like Miss V's voice over a lot more.

Vic however has the best voice.

German version is quite good as well. Johnny is voiced by Benjamin Völz, who basically always gives his voice to Keanu Reaves so it's a perfect match

He vaguely sounds like generic version of NYer, but could be many other things so the accent isn't that off-putting. Lack of suitable dialogue choices where the dialogue implied things entirely different than what I wanted to say was more of an issue for me.

Nope, not a New Yorker for certain. After nearly three decades in New England, I finally picked up the various regional NorthEast Seaboard accents. It's not even close. Gavin's Emerald Isle roots tend to show as his brogue just barely shows up in some phrases.

The "tough guy impression" voice acting did not grow on me. No heart. 30 hours in the game, V's voice acting is baffling at best. Next play-through I probably will do in German language. German voice actors are top notch (if only for the wrong reason).

Accents evolve over time so who's to say what the accent will be like in another fifty something years?

I think the voice actor is Irish, so he's probably just doing his best American accent which imo is pretty good considering.
This blew my mind when I heard Gavin Drea talking in a podcast/interview. I'm Irish and I didn't even get a hint of my native brogue in his male V. It completely changed my opinion on how good his voice work is. Its really, really hard to fake a non native accent because native speakers will pick up tiny details that are not right.

Carol for example is very obviously an Irish character played by a non Irish voice actress and I could tell within seconds.

This blew my mind when I heard Gavin Drea talking in a podcast/interview. I'm Irish and I didn't even get a hint of my native brogue in his male V. It completely changed my opinion on how good his voice work is. Its really, really hard to fake a non native accent because native speakers will pick up tiny details that are not right.

Carol for example is very obviously an Irish character played by a non Irish voice actress and I could tell within seconds.

Carol's Irish??? I thought she was Spanish or something O.O

The game is set south of the Bay Area and his accent sounds a lot like a native San Franciscan. It's not immersion breaking at all if you're from here and know that San Francisco and souther California have different, distinct dialects.

Do they, though?

I mean, I don't know from San Francisco, but I live in San Diego and the accent generally doesn't sound all that different from, say, Seattle. Which is to say, pretty generic, unless English wasn't your first language.

i mean russian is really bad
a lot of foul language where there is none at all in the english version
50 likes, 81 dislikes lol
Aaaah... "Celebrity Cast". That never work well, so even i cant speak or undertand russian (i know than spasiva its thanks, and that its all xd) i totally believe you.

In spain the voices are all time with neutral accent (people of america... Neutral for us xd). In fact the first happen than the voice actors learn its a "erase" their accent. I feel strange than in english voices version that dont happen.

Honestly, this is very immersion breaking. The male voice actor has a heavy New York or Philly accent and that's not accurate for US West Coast.

I'm from new York, V does not have a heavy new York accent.

Also, what accent are you expecting from a fictional city from an alternate timeline future?

So I HAD to reply to this again because Carol is not Irish and is supposed to sound vaguely Latin American (which she does).
Fryda Wolff's voice is pretty much the same as what she does for Loba in Apex Legends and for that she was directed to do "the blandest Latin American accent I can do":

(Auto starts at 1:19:50):

Loba (for reference):

Top Bottom