Why does V sound like a jerk?

+
A cutscene requires a cut. That's why it's called a cutscene. All those dialogues are part of the gameplay.
I think you and I just have a different opinion of what 'gameplay' is. Sure there is no actual 'cut' but the 'take a seat' aspect of it is essentially filling the same role. The only real difference between this and a standard cutscene is that you can look around at different things while it's playing out, which other games have done in the past. It's still, for all intents and purposes a cutscene.

Even the part in the garage where you walk around and look for stuff with Jackie, you're locked in a box, you can't do anything but look at things, pick up a couple items and then when you're done you can leave and go back out into the game world.

The main problem I have is that outside of the main storyline quests, stuff like this is non-existant.

When I play this game I do like ONE of these quests every couple of hours just to move the story along a little and to get some extra XP because the main quests give more XP than the side quests, so I need to do one every so often just to keep my character levels up.

But again, I see one of these like once every 2 hours of game play. So there's no way I'm ever going to be talking more than shooting if this is the way it's designed.

The main problem I have is that outside of the main storyline quests, stuff like this is non-existant.
Oh I misunderstood. You want dialogue with some of the random NPCs around Night City? Nah I don't think that's gonna be a thing. It's a narrative driven game, just like all of CDPRs games. It's gonna be NPCs related to V's story that she will dialogue with. Still the original point stats. I still feel very confident that I've spent waaaaay more time talking than shooting.

Oh I misunderstood. You want dialogue with some of the random NPCs around Night City? Nah I don't think that's gonna be a thing. It's a narrative driven game, just like all of CDPRs games. It's gonna be NPCs related to V's story that she will dialogue with. Still the original point stats. I still feel very confident that I've spent waaaaay more time talking than shooting.
Oh. Well that's disappointing. I wish they would have made that more clear when they advertised this game. I'm not planning on a refund or anything, mainly because I'm too lazy and this game might actually get more content later down the line, but overall the fact that there's only the main quest line for dialog is a shame. Especially since the emptiness of the actual game world killed any interest in the story that I have.

Not to mention I've already seen the movie Johnny Mnumonic, so I've already seen this one.

I'm not planning on a refund or anything, mainly because I'm too lazy and this game might actually get more content later down the line, but overall the fact that there's only the main quest line for dialog is a shame.
There's dialogue in the side quests too. The quest I just posted is a sidequest. It'll just be that the vast majority of dialogue is quest related.

There's dialogue in the side quests too. The quest I just posted is a sidequest. It'll just be that the vast majority of dialogue is quest related.
Fair enough.

I guess I just expected more than a visual novel with guns. But it is what it is, you roll with it. Maybe we'll see more in the future, who knows.

The male voice actor sounds like he thought he was applying for a role in the Mafia remake and ended up in the wrong auditon without knowing but got the job anyway. I don't think the voice actor did a bad job but sometimes the way the guy acts and sounds rubs me wrong, but I think its just because I was expecting a fully formable character rather than a predetermined character with his own opinions and ethos beyond my input.

You nailed what I don't really like about the male V voice. Not only everything you said but it feels...it doesn't feel effortless. What's worse is that I don't even think it's his fault perse. You can tell he either didn't get good direction, or a full script, or his inexperience is coming through because there was more than once where Id pick a conversation option and then another one and the tones/volumes where so drastically different it felt like they were from completely different conversations/circumstances. BUT that may also be my own fault because I played as female V first and I think her VA nailed it.

I don't know... He sounds fine to me. Maybe because I chose StreetKid so being a "jerk" is like a given? :shrug:
I personally love his voice, reminds me a lot of Alex Karev from Grey's Anatomy. (I'm still at season 9 so no spoilers please.) :(

Also can I just say? Of all the voiced protagonists that I've played, why have people praised the female protag's more than male ones? Like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, now this...? Can you all admit that it's your personal bias or something? Yes you do prefer the voice of female than male, sure but can you not say that it's better than another? It's been bothering me for like a couple of games already so I needed to vent.

Last edited:
I don't know... He sounds fine to me. Maybe because I chose StreetKid so being a "jerk" is like a given? :shrug:
I personally love his voice, reminds me a lot of Alex Karev from Grey's Anatomy. (I'm still at season 9 so no spoilers please.) :(

Also can I just say? Of all the voiced protagonists that I've played, why have people praised the female protag's more than male ones? Like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, now this...? Can you all admit that it's your personal bias or something? Yes you do prefer the voice of female than male, sure but can you not say that it's better than another? It's been bothering me for like a couple of games already so I needed to vent.

Could very well be biased, I'd actually be interested to hear a female's viewpoint on this as well. For me, it's because I am male, and I tend to play characters not as myself, but making decisions that I feel that I would make. Because of that, when I hear a male's voice saying those lines, it doesn't sit right with me, simply because it's not my voice. It's a very personal reason that's kinda hard to explain. In the case of Cyberpunk, I do feel that the feminine voice is better than the male voice not because I like her tone/how she sounds, its her performance that stands above his. The easiest way to describe it is that to me he feels like he's reading a script as the character, where with her it feels like she IS the character. Like there will be a question where he read its off like his thought process is "oh, this needs to be a question," not taking into the considering the context of the question, who its being posed to, or even where they physically are, but with her she delivers it with those variables in mind. It ALMOST feels like she was either given a more in depth script than he was, or better direction. Could also be her experience at play here. To bring up another game you referenced, Mass Effect is one where I liked both voices equally. I thought both Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale were superb as Shepard. Sorry this was long, but you asked :)

I found V to be entirely too much of a Jerk for my liking (female V) Im assuming they both run the same dialogue though.

Even with people you are supposed to be friendly with, V is pushy and inconsiderate. Treating others like a means-to-an-end and not giving them the respect they deserve.

Takes me out of the story alot having only A-Hole choice A or A-Hole choice B in dialogue

I found V to be entirely too much of a Jerk for my liking (female V) Im assuming they both run the same dialogue though.

Even with people you are supposed to be friendly with, V is pushy and inconsiderate. Treating others like a means-to-an-end and not giving them the respect they deserve.

Takes me out of the story alot having only A-Hole choice A or A-Hole choice B in dialogue

Out of curiosity, what lifepath did you choose?

Because they are hardcoded to "rugged Solo"... that's the problem with voiced protagonists, different personalities are expensive. ;)

What I liked in Deus Ex is, Adam can be rude or not depending on choices you make in dialogues.
Meanwhile V is rude and hostile without asking me if he should be.

Even tho Adam is a voiced protagonist too.

actually, i think its intentional, and you get it a bit later in the game with Johnny... he will have some different ideas how to handle situations, and you will suddenly see the difference.. (dont want to spoil anything) but at the start, V is a merc, and is supposed to be the way he/she is..

Top Bottom