Why does Yennefer appear at the beginning, in Geralt's dream?

+
Why does Yennefer appear at the beginning, in Geralt's dream?

I don't understand why Yennefer appears at the beginning at all. The timeline of Ciri's training should correspond with the beginning of the book Blood of Elves (with Ciri tackling the pendulum and backflips while blindfolded and learning about ghouls and whatnot). The thing is, Yennefer didn't appear there at all. The only sorceress to ever got invitied to Kaer Morhen during Ciri's training there was Triss. So my question is, why did RED put Yennefer there? Is it just for the sake of introducing so that we care more about her??

I never read the books but a comment from a book reader about another part of this:

Just a fan's opinion, but I feel like they sort of re-wrote the Yennefer character to make us like her better. Sapkowski's Yennefer was very, very close to absolutely unlikable and had few redeeming qualities. I constantly wondered why on Earth Geralt liked her so much. Triss, on the other hand, was always sweet, good hearted, the opposite of Yen in many ways. When playing Witcher 1 and 2, I took this into account while romancing Triss. Then I meet Yen in Wild Hunt and I'm like "Are you sure that's her?"

I think the answer is Yes, for a few reasons, but mainly because over the course of the game you'll notice how the game nudges you about how Yen is the main love interest in this game.

I guess the studio itself is divided into Triss/Yen camps, and sadly Yen camp got most of the attention, due to some reasonable reasons like, she's new to the game-series and more important to Ciri (acts as her mother) etc, but still doesn't mean Triss should be ignored -

even thou in the community, Triss is probably more loved, see: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/40172-HOTTEST-WITCHER-3-GIRL-Yennefer-vs-Triss-vs-Ciri-vs

And that's why this thread was created: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...and-the-inconsistency-of-our-romance-s-choice
in hopes we'll get some more Triss as Triss and us gamers who love her deserve.

Last edited:
In my head I imagined Triss instead of Yen :happy:.

If I had to guess why they put her there, it probably has to do with her needing more introduction.

Yennefer in Kaer Morhen at the beginning is Geralt's imagination. He knows it's false - he mentions to Vesemir during their talk right at the beginning of the game that Yennefer was never in Kaer Morhen.

So why not dream of Triss, the woman he loved for two previous games?

Because at the beginning of the game we are trying to find Yennefer.

Yeah I think the same as @C0bR it would make sense since Geralt at the start has Yen on his mind, he is searching for her... Also we know that Geralt has a sense for Ciri and dreams about her when she is in danger. So Yen appears from Geralts side since he is searching for her, but Ciri is the reason for the dream.

I love the idea of CDPR being Team Yen and Team Triss. :D

Also, don't forget that Yen was Geralt's long time love interest before loosing his memory.

Last edited:
Because it's a dream.

The Wild Hunt was not present for Ciri's training either.

That argument is just ridiculous. Yes I know it's just a dream. But the dream itself was divided into two parts. One when it starts off normal, with Geralt remembering every details. Two when it becomes a nightmare when the Wild Hunt shows up. And the scene from Kaer Morhen is obviously a copypaste from the book, EXCEPT the devs have to shove Yennefer to our faces instead of Triss.

Yeah I think the same as @C0bR it would make sense since Geralt at the start has Yen on his mind, he is searching for her...

I love the idea of CDPR being Team Yen and Team Triss. :D

I don't. They should have both equal part in the story

---------- Updated at 09:11 PM ----------

Yennefer in Kaer Morhen at the beginning is Geralt's imagination. He knows it's false - he mentions to Vesemir during their talk right at the beginning of the game that Yennefer was never in Kaer Morhen.

Because at the beginning of the game we are trying to find Yennefer.

As @draconis184 said:

Yennefer didn't appear there at all. The only sorceress to ever got invitied to Kaer Morhen during Ciri's training there was Triss.

However, Yes, she needs an introduction to the game series - got it! still not a reason to have so little of Triss, to have her relationship shun away and every other character assumes you are with Yen when you already went for Triss.

Here is to hoping future DLCs/Expansion Pass will remedy that. The only thing that the Witcher could be better is more character interactions. I guess I'm used to Bioware where you can spend tons of time talking to your companions. I'm not saying BIoware's characters are better, but they sure have more to say and are given more attention.

I guess I'm used to Bioware where you can spend tons of time talking to your companions. I'm not saying BIoware's characters are better, but they sure have more to say and are given more attention.

Except Bioware character quality is miles behind the Witcher. I played all the Mass Effects, and Dragon Age - ME did it way better, but even then it's just a checklist of when to talk with whom to move the character plot forward. Witcher handles it much better.

I think Novigrad arc would have been a lot better if more attention was given to Triss and how to help the mages in the city, as opposed to Dandelion. Also, since it's my second playthrough I'm going with Triss this time, so there's that :)

Its just another way of CDPR shoving Yen in our faces as the main/true love interest
Sad but true

Honestly, this is one of the things I, as a big Triss fan, don't really mind. I see it more as something subconscious - a combination of Geralt looking for her, the Djinn bond and not having seen her for so long. I find the conscious decisions he makes regarding Triss/Yen and what he sais, or better yet, doesn't say, far more aggravating.
Besides, she did need an introduction as Geralt's (ex) lover.

At the moment not really in the mood to type a long response, so I hope you guys get my drift.

Last edited:
It's just a dream, nothing about "forcing Yennefer on the player", wtf.
Even Geralt speaks about the fact that it's weird Yen is in that dream since she's never been there.

It's just a dream, nothing about "forcing Yennefer on the player", wtf.
Even Geralt speaks about the fact that it's weird Yen is in that dream since she's never been there.

Yes. EVEN Geralt thinks it's weird. Then why she's there, at all, if not the Devs put her there. I know it's a great way to introduce her to the story, but I think Triss also deserves to have the same screentime.

Yes. EVEN Geralt thinks it's weird. Then why she's there, at all, if not the Devs put her there. I know it's a great way to introduce her to the story, but I think Triss also deserves to have the same screentime.

Triss had plenty of screentime in the previous games.It's Yen's turn to shine.

I think it's partly to introduce/establish the relationship between Yennefer and Geralt. Also, it is just a dream and things don't always have to make sense, or reflect real life events. At this point Geralt is searching for Yen, she is the one he is preoccupied with; hence she shows up in his subconscious.

I was honestly fine with way they introduced Yen into the game, especially because Geralt notices the discrepancies. I was reading that part in the books, and found it awesome he pointed out the differences. However, and his might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand Triss, because Geralt had to find out about Ciri and Yennefer on his own. Triss should have at least told him, at some point, about his girlfriend and the girl he helped raise, which makes Triss come across, to me at least, as VERY creepy.

Top Bottom