Why exactly does Emhyr want Ciri back? and why does nobody else want her? (book spoilers)

+
Why exactly does Emhyr want Ciri back? and why does nobody else want her? (book spoilers)

I know, the obvious answer is that it is his child and he wants her back so she can be his successor on the throne, but there seem to be some difficulties, if you bring in the books.

Obviously book spoilers incoming, so if you haven't finished them or you still want to read them.

In the famous prophecy the White Frost is coming (ha!) and apparently the child with elder blood is or will be able to fight it back in one way or another, but there is also the prophecy that her son will rule half the world and his son will rule the whole world, that is even much more important in the book story than the actual White Frost.

Considering this it makes sense that Emhyr want her back, but if he already knew that in the books and you can assume so, why did he send Ciri back to Geralt and Yennefer in the first place? He wanted to marry and have a child with her, so he had to know, but he decided that it might be best for Ciri to send her back.

But there is also the fake-Ciri, which is apparently non-existent in the game, but he actually marries and could have more children with her, getting sons to secure a legitimate heir.

Why is it that Emhyr wants the real Ciri now back exactly? As far as i know the game or Emhyr never tells you that there is this prophecy, despite Geralt should know that anyway, too.

Is it only because he can't win the war against the North and getting Ciri back is the only way to secure his position and blood line?

There is also no need to marry the real Ciri to cement his claims of Cintra anymore, as this seems to be a small issue comparing to Temeria and Aedirn now. We know that the people of Cintra were heavily involved in the 2nd war between North and Nilfgaard, so it made sense that Emhyr married the fake-Ciri to get their support. So marrying the real-Ciri isn't necessary anymore, since Temeria and Aedirn are now the problematic kingdoms.

That also makes me wondering whether nobody else heard of this prophecy, there is a reason why Philippa wanted Ciri to go to Kovir, that her child will be growing up in the care of Philippa, which also isn't really mentioned through the games. Philippa implies that she had plans for Ciri, but she never goes into details.

In the worse cast scenario even Radovid could have an interest in Ciri, if he knew that their son would rule half the world.

It seems to me that this small issue could bring up big problems, but the game didn't really went into details about that and made only the White Frost the big danger.

---------- Updated at 09:34 PM ----------

oh, and yes, the Wild Hunt wants her too, but i mean just in the political ways.

It comes back to CDPR being inconsistent with what they take over from the books 1 to 1 and what they tweak or omit. It's really hard to comment on that particular part of the prophesy because it basically vanished in the game(s). I suspect it's because they didn't want to deal with Ciri's past of abuse and sexual situations. It's a pretty gnarly topic that was swept under the rug.

Because it's basically ignored, we're left wondering if this even factors in at all. Certainly, there's the history of the books where everyone wanted a way to secure Ciri's eventual child but that's never mentioned again.

So as it stands, my opinion is that Emhyr wanted Ciri as a means to secure his legacy and the stability of Nilfgaard. A way for him to firmly secure the territories he has conquered. I believe there was some subtle hints that Morvran Voorhis would potentially be a match for Ciri. I think his name was also the one that was dropped when the kings of the north were trying to figure out why Ciri is hunted by Nilfgaard. Not sure if he was the one.

The whole situation though is very unexplained so we can't really draw any solid conclusions.

Because Emhyr has no wife in the games and no heir and he's considerably older as well.

What does Emhyr want? He doesn't want to commit incest I'll you that. He does however want to appoint her as his successor.

There's no way the book plot of him wanting to marry her would ever make sense in the game since many people know she's his daughter versus the books where NO ONE knew that besides himself and Geralt/Yennefer after he let them go, not even Ciri knew it if I recall.

Because Emhyr is troubled by some conspiracy in Nilfgaard, and the best and easiest way to win the war and keep the power, is to set his daughter on the throne.

I'm assuming he wants her specifically because he needs an heir/her child will take over half of the world.

It's the same thing with the Aen'Elle. In the books they want Ciri for her child and grandchild, they really don't give a damn about fighting the white frost (which isn't even an option in the books... also the white frost is only supposed to consume one planet... also it turns out to just be gradual climate change that only happens in the North.)

ugh, the more i think about the political situation, the more i get disappointed sadly.

You could have done so much with that subplot. Imagine Geralt together with Ciri and suddenly some assassins sent by an opposite party from Nilfgaard attack you. There is always a loophole, someone who heard something and sells this information. The court at Nilfgaard is known to be always critical of the emperor and there are always people having an eye on the throne. Nilfsgaard's history is full of emperors, who got killed by their own people instead of by their war enemy.

Imagine you could have influence to whom you give Ciri or in which way you guide her:

leading Ciri to....
the lodge / Kovir
Radovid
Emhyr
or noone/becoming a witcher.

So much potential. The prophecy doesn't even tell when exactly the White Frost is coming, this could be in 100 or 1000 or 10,000 years, but the son of her and its son, that covers maybe 50-100 years, if Ciri ages just normally of course.

I think CDPR backed the wrong subplot around her and should have focused more on the political plot, while taking care of the Wild Hunt. The books didn't do it much better, since they ignored the White Frost almost entirely, but focussed on the political plot, which has actual influence on the current situation of the world.
Basically the game shouldn't have end, when you fought and won against the Wild Hunt. The political game only just started then. It switches from the Wild Hunt plot to the actual war, you know, that one everyone speaks of and is involved in.

I understand that they wanted to focus on Geralt and his personal story and it worked really well, but Ciri is simply a political instrument of power and as long she is in the witcher world, she stays this way, it doesn't matter if she is a witcher or not.

The game is about Ciri getting to the level she no longer is a football, @Kallelinski.

Ciri matures in this game to the point that Phillipa, Emhyrs, Geralt (god bless his good intentions), The Wild Hunt, and everyone one else trying to control her...can't.

NOTHING they try will work because Ciri can and will hit back harder than they can.

This is the game where Ciri ceases to be the football...and becomes the player.

ugh, the more i think about the political situation, the more i get disappointed sadly.

You could have done so much with that subplot. Imagine Geralt together with Ciri and suddenly some assassins sent by an opposite party from Nilfgaard attack you. There is always a loophole, someone who heard something and sells this information. The court at Nilfgaard is known to be always critical of the emperor and there are always people having an eye on the throne. Nilfsgaard's history is full of emperors, who got killed by their own people instead of by their war enemy.

Imagine you could have influence to whom you give Ciri or in which way you guide her:

leading Ciri to....
the lodge / Kovir
Radovid
Emhyr
or noone/becoming a witcher.

So much potential. The prophecy doesn't even tell when exactly the White Frost is coming, this could be in 100 or 1000 or 10,000 years, but the son of her and its son, that covers maybe 50-100 years, if Ciri ages just normally of course.

I think CDPR backed the wrong subplot around her and should have focused more on the political plot, while taking care of the Wild Hunt. The books didn't do it much better, since they ignored the White Frost almost entirely, but focussed on the political plot, which has actual influence on the current situation of the world.
Basically the game shouldn't have end, when you fought and won against the Wild Hunt. The political game only just started then. It switches from the Wild Hunt plot to the actual war, you know, that one everyone speaks of and is involved in.

I understand that they wanted to focus on Geralt and his personal story and it worked really well, but Ciri is simply a political instrument of power and as long she is in the witcher world, she stays this way, it doesn't matter if she is a witcher or not.

CD Projekt had to try to make the main story compelling, while at the same time they had to make it easy for newcomers to understand. They also were making an open world game, so a lot more resources and time were put on creating sidequests and what not. If it were a more linear game I think we could have expected a deeper storyline with all of the politics.

Don't get me wrong either, this game probably has the best story that I've ever played. It's also the best open world that I've ever played. It's just that in some ways I'm disappointed in the fact that the storyline seemed to have had to suffer as a result of the open world and newcomers.

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

The game is about Ciri getting to the level she no longer is a football, @Kallelinski.

Ciri matures in this game to the point that Phillipa, Emhyrs, Geralt (god bless his good intentions), The Wild Hunt, and everyone one else trying to control her...can't.

NOTHING they try will work because Ciri can and will hit back harder than they can.

This is the game where Ciri ceases to be the football...and becomes the player.

This is only true if you get a certain ending, and said ending is a lot like the ending of Lady of the Lake (only happier). I dunno, I think the politics could have been expanded upon given more time (which I know CD Projekt did not have). Like I said, they did their best, and in the end it's a masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece, but nevertheless a masterpiece.

This is only true if you get a certain ending, and said ending is a lot like the ending of Lady of the Lake (only happier). I dunno, I think the politics could have been expanded upon given more time (which I know CD Projekt did not have). Like I said, they did their best, and in the end it's a masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece, but nevertheless a masterpiece.

@saricc

All three endings are about Ciri asserting her independence in some way, shape, or form. The "Ciri Dies" ending is a terrible one but it's as a consequence of her choosing to sacrifice her life to destroy the White Frost. Which she does so voluntarily, fighting Destiny and triumphing even she takes the burden from her children and grandchildren (who will never be born). The "Empress Ciri" ending is about her taking up her father's destiny for her and ruling as the fair and just ruler of an Empire which Dandelion described as something new because while he'd known war, they had made it something beyond mere evil. The Witcher Ciri ending, of course, is simply her choosing to walk the Path.

But in a basic way, the Lodge of Sorcerers meeting is a defining moment in this game because Phillipa and the others can't control Ciri if she doesn't want to be controlled. She can teleport anywhere she wants and kill any of them she likes before they can react. The Ladies of the Woods are thousands of years old and sorcerers of terrible power but they die at her hands. GERALT can kill Phillipa Eilhart and Ciri is much more powerful than him.

In short, this game is about subverting the narrative of the books or perhaps better said completing it as the Coming of Age story of Ciri is finished. She's an adult now and no one in the world can stop her if she doesn't want to be stopped. Politics have become, essentially, meaningless for Cirilla as the Wild Hunt is the alien rulers of a world and she crushes them to the point that its pointless to continue.

Even so, the destruction of the White Frost was a necessity to her narrative I think because Ciri's power is only important because of that Looming DoomTM. Otherwise, it's just a cool magic trick to be the Lady of Time and Space. Ciri has a TARDIS (or *IS* a Tardis) but the White Frost removes the impetuous that she needs to be controlled. Yes, her child might rule the world or half the world but the White Frost being beaten makes prophecy falliable and so it doesn't matter--and if it is true Ciri's child will rule half the world and then her grandchild the WHOLE world then "The Sword of Destiny" collection shows that you can't CONTROL a prophecy like that.

Every man, woman, and child in Cintra died and Ciri survived. The Lodge is like children playing with building blocks, Nilfgaard too, in the face of such power. The Aen Sidhe is the most powerful race in the universe and they get their ASS KICKED in the Wild Hunt fighting her.

So I think the White Frost being beaten was a necessary part of her story being "completed." At least until the next Ciri game.

@Willowhugger that might be right, but even Ciri herself isn't aware of it, at least it seems so and that makes it even more irritating.

She (should) knows that her son could either bring war or peace to one half of the world, depending who is the father and in what position she is.

If she is the Emperess and has a son, he will make the Nilfgaard Empire bigger than ever, maybe improving the life of thousands by integrating everyone into one big empire, the Roman Empire says hello. The Nilfgaard Empire isn't such a bad empire at all, at least not worse than the northern ones. It would at least improve the life of the nonhumans by a LOT.

But if she has a child with someone unknown or with someone in Kovir, while she keeps being a witcher. That son will topple half of the world, but how? Probably by force and not necessary by diplomatic measures, resulting in a new world war with a unprecedented dimensions.

Having such godlike powers is maybe making her almost invincible, but not immortal. A sorceress like Philippa is technically invincible too, but if you anticipate her moves, you can beat her.

In the famous prophecy the White Frost is coming (ha!) and apparently the child with elder blood is or will be able to fight it back in one way or another, but there is also the prophecy that her son will rule half the world and his son will rule the whole world, that is even much more important in the book story than the actual White Frost.

Considering this it makes sense that Emhyr want her back, but if he already knew that in the books and you can assume so, why did he send Ciri back to Geralt and Yennefer in the first place? He wanted to marry and have a child with her, so he had to know, but he decided that it might be best for Ciri to send her back.

But there is also the fake-Ciri, which is apparently non-existent in the game, but he actually marries and could have more children with her, getting sons to secure a legitimate heir.

Why is it that Emhyr wants the real Ciri now back exactly? As far as i know the game or Emhyr never tells you that there is this prophecy, despite Geralt should know that anyway, too.

Is it only because he can't win the war against the North and getting Ciri back is the only way to secure his position and blood line?

There is also no need to marry the real Ciri to cement his claims of Cintra anymore, as this seems to be a small issue comparing to Temeria and Aedirn now. We know that the people of Cintra were heavily involved in the 2nd war between North and Nilfgaard, so it made sense that Emhyr married the fake-Ciri to get their support. So marrying the real-Ciri isn't necessary anymore, since Temeria and Aedirn are now the problematic kingdoms.

That also makes me wondering whether nobody else heard of this prophecy, there is a reason why Philippa wanted Ciri to go to Kovir, that her child will be growing up in the care of Philippa, which also isn't really mentioned through the games. Philippa implies that she had plans for Ciri, but she never goes into details.

In the worse cast scenario even Radovid could have an interest in Ciri, if he knew that their son would rule half the world.

It seems to me that this small issue could bring up big problems, but the game didn't really went into details about that and made only the White Frost the big danger.

oh, and yes, the Wild Hunt wants her too, but i mean just in the political ways.

I also think there's something to be said that we should assume, "Just because we don't see something in the games doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. For example, there's no reason to think that the False Ciri doesn't exist just because she doesn't appear. She's not MENTIONED but this information is being presented to an entire new crop of players and isn't going to be relevant to the story. It's important that Emhyr has no CHILDREN with his new wife but this doesn't mean she doesn't exist.

It's kind of like Yennefer and Ciri themselves who were not really mentioned much in the previous two games. I think it's a reasonable to assume that everything in the books is canon given the sheer BREADTH of references until they're contradicted on screen. Cintra was massacred by the Nilfgaardians and isn't going to be a factor in the war against them the either way and Ciri has no real interest in her homeland. Its referenced in the books in-game, however, and I think that's because they want to keep it open for future games but don't want to waste it when they built so much up around Temeria and Redania in previous games.

Basically, I would like to see Cintra as the home for a future Witcher game starring Ciri. It may star her stepmother who is nearly identical to her as a supporting cast member.

Because while you can always ADD things, its harder to take them away.

---------- Updated at 09:29 PM ----------

If she is the Emperess and has a son, he will make the Nilfgaard Empire bigger than ever, maybe improving the life of thousands by integrating everyone into one big empire, the Roman Empire says hello. The Nilfgaard Empire isn't such a bad empire at all, at least not worse than the northern ones. It would at least improve the life of the nonhumans by a LOT.

I have disagreed on these forums but I will let Sapkowski do my talking.

The Sword of Destiny "Something Greater"

"You clearly have very meager access to information, Geralt. Or you don't know how to interpret it. This is not an ordinary war of succession or a dispute over the ownership of a piece of land; we are not dealing with the quarrel of two noblemen to which peasants, occupied by their crops, remain passive witnesses."

"What is it then? Enlighten me, because I don't know what's going on. Between you and me, it doesn't interest me much, but explain it anyway, please." "This war is unique," the bard explained seriously. "The armies of Nilfgaard leave behind them nothing but desolation and corpses: entire fields of corpses. It's a war of total extermination. Nilfgaard against everything. The cruelty..."

"There is no war without cruelty," the witcher interrupted. "You're exaggerating, Dandelion. It's like burning the ferry: such is the practice... It is, I would say, a military tradition. Since the beginning of the world, armies have been killing, stealing, burning and attacking, unceasingly, and in that order. Since the beginning of the world, when a war breaks out, the farmers and their wives hide in the woods with the few possessions that they can carry and return home when the conflict is over..."

"Not this war, Geralt. After this war, no-one returns. There will be nothing to return to. Nilfgaard leaves behind it only rubble; its armies advance like lava from which no-one escapes. The roads are strewn, for miles, with gallows and pyres; the sky is cut with columns of smoke as long as the horizon. Since the beginning of the world, in fact, nothing of this sort has happened before. Since the world is our world... You must understand that the Nilfgaardians have descended from their mountains to destroy this world."

Nilfgaard is awesome but I think they lose a lot if we pretend they're not fundamentally WORSE in some ways than the North--that people like Dandelion and Geralt are no strangers to the causal horrors of war but they practice it in such a way to terrify them.

You're right about the prophecy, though, but it seems to me that the next game would be a better place to bring it up.

Last edited:
I also think there's something to be said that we should assume, "Just because we don't see something in the games doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Because while you can always ADD things, its harder to take them away.

Yeah but there's some critical pieces of information that have been omitted from Witcher 3's narrative which would factor into the fate Ciri chooses at the end. This has mainly to do with the second part of the prophesy talking about her future son. Still, the fact that Ciri has become so powerful is never explicitly stated as being a factor in her decision making process.

I could totally see that point being driven home with the Lodge and then used later as an assurance that she'll brook no treachery or manipulation attempts, but it was never hinted at.

My problem with this topic is exactly that, we're left to fill in the blanks to try and figure out how things will play out. But the pieces we are using to fill in those blanks come mainly from the books and have not been 'updated' to work with the game's changed direction of her plot.

It's frustrating because they are an otherwise vital part to her long story arc and we didn't even get a single line saying "the prophesy is now broken" or something like that. We're left wondering, which, in my case anyway, detracts from believing the endings are anything but naive and wishful thinking.

True, I guess the major thing is that the story's theme seems to be Ciri's coming of age and taking charge of her life. We see her lay waste to the Wild Hunt, come to terms with her father, and then angrily reject the Lodge of Sorcery, then destroy the White Frost.

It's like going through a checklist, really, of Ciri's enemies.

Some of the beats are missing but I'm not sure how much is actually needed to say, "Ciri is no longer a political tool or a pawn." I think we get that from the game even if we don't touch everything.

Likewise, it leaves room open in future games or expansions to revisit the topic at length.

Ciri's children might rule the world but, whatever the case, SHE will be the one who guides them not anyone else.

You're right about the prophecy, though, but it seems to me that the next game would be a better place to bring it up.

Well, in any case war is not exactly a good thing, but Nilfgaard is already big from the start. It's like 6-8 times as big as Redania or Temeria was. When Nilfgaard wins this war, the northern kingdoms are either all conquered or vassal states, what is left to conquer? We actually don't know, but if it were vice versa, the son of Ciri had to conquer everything from north starting with Redania to south ending with Nilfgaard, that would bring war to everyone and to the whole continent.

But that isn't necessary my concern, but rather why this isn't a matter in the political system, despite being more important than the actual White Frost, which might come some day. Maybe too many political players were too busy surviving.

It's frustrating because they are an otherwise vital part to her long story arc and we didn't even get a single line saying "the prophesy is now broken" or something like that. We're left wondering, which, in my case anyway, detracts from believing the endings are anything but naive and wishful thinking.

There is also the possibility that the prophecy is just false. The White Frost isn't explained in any way, whether it is caused natural or magical, we don't even know where exactly Ciri "beat" it. It's so open to interpretation that almost every theory could be as much right as it could be wrong.

I know, the obvious answer is that it is his child and he wants her back so she can be his successor on the throne, but there seem to be some difficulties, if you bring in the books.

Obviously book spoilers incoming, so if you haven't finished them or you still want to read them.

It's not that he wants her back all of a sudden, Ciri has been in hiding. Shes been traveling through time and space on the run pretty much. Now that she is back in her home world and Emhry finds out about it he wants to secure her. I think he has selfish reasons for wanting her back, i don;t think he actually cares for her he just does not want her power to fall into the hands of someone else, like the Wild Hunt or the lodge. If you remember from the books he purposely had a child with Pavetta with the intention of having a child of Elder Blood, he used her. I remember him even saying that he never actually loved Pavetta. He's just hungry for more power.

Wait, thats not true. Emhyr was under curse, and Geralt lifted the curse because of his and Pavetta's love. If he pretended to love Pavetta, curse would not been lifted and he would be still turning into hedgehog...

I know this is back a page, but wanted to comment.

CD Projekt had to try to make the main story compelling, while at the same time they had to make it easy for newcomers to understand.

I agree. But see, I feel this is a MAJOR problem with game design to day. Why do we need to make it "easy" for people to understand? Why not include the info and let people find out and discover it their own way?

I feel not including story or simplifying complexity because you're afraid players might not understand is basically talking down to your consumer base. You can't argue with sales, but sales are almost always generated before the product is even released now. The idea that players need simple in a game riding the wave of success of the previous games [okay, W1EE on] is just strange.

Again, I agree with you that it was probably done, so this is just more discussion of it. This is a franchise that people love BECAUSE the story and complexity is beyond what they get in other games.

It's not that he wants her back all of a sudden, Ciri has been in hiding. Shes been traveling through time and space on the run pretty much. Now that she is back in her home world and Emhry finds out about it he wants to secure her. I think he has selfish reasons for wanting her back, i don;t think he actually cares for her he just does not want her power to fall into the hands of someone else, like the Wild Hunt or the lodge. If you remember from the books he purposely had a child with Pavetta with the intention of having a child of Elder Blood, he used her. I remember him even saying that he never actually loved Pavetta. He's just hungry for more power.

Still, then he shouldn't have sent Ciri back to Geralt and Yennefer in the first place, if he thinks he is more suitable to take care of her and she is supposed to be his heir.

But i think it's safe to say that he wants to secure his legacy with her. Too bad it isn't really discussed in the game.

And yes, he never loved her, i kinda remember that too.

Wait, thats not true. Emhyr was under curse, and Geralt lifted the curse because of his and Pavetta's love. If he pretended to love Pavetta, curse would not been lifted and he would be still turning into hedgehog...

He didn't, Calanthe did.

Still, then he shouldn't have sent Ciri back to Geralt and Yennefer in the first place, if he thinks he is more suitable to take care of her and she is supposed to be his heir.

But i think it's safe to say that he wants to secure his legacy with her. Too bad it isn't really discussed in the game.

And yes, he never loved her, i kinda remember that too.

He didn't, Calanthe did.

hmm, you might be right, curse was lifted when Calanthe promised to keep the word her husband gave to Emhyr when he saved his life.

anyway, he didnt had much choice to stop Ciri from leaving.. she could just teleport away any time she wanted as dimetrium would not stop her as it had no effect on her...

Last edited:
@Kallelinski

This was one of those baffling parts of the game that I had to trick myself into forgetting to make the story believable. Because everything you've said is right. Faux-Ciri took the place of Ciri in every necessary way. The emperor did not need his daughter whatsoever. UNLESS the Emperor reverted back to his motives in the books and wants Ciri again to make a child that will save the world. But this is unconvincing as the end of the book shows that as ruthless as the Emperor was, he wasn't willing to see his daughter cry, even to deliver the world from peril.

It doesn't really make sense any which way you look at it unless the Emperor suffered brain damage.

Top Bottom