Why GOG dont have a Steam clone?

+
Why GOG dont have a Steam clone?

I'm having more games on Steam than GOG. Why? Because GOG only have very, very, very old games except the Witcher series and upcoming Cyberpunk games.

The reason why GOG should be like Steam is because they can sell new games. The only problem i see is that because GOG is DRM free while Steam is not.

What i can see CDP/GOG do is establish another game distribution side and secretly or make it very low on DRM? Otherwise Steam triumphs over GOG :(. Why? Simply because Steam has the games i want and not GOG. I've spent couple hundreds buying during Steam sales... which i never have the time to play i think.

Call me a greedy pirate?... lolx Not a pirate when i pay for it XD

archaven said:
I'm having more games on Steam than GOG. Why? Because GOG only have very, very, very old games except the Witcher series and upcoming Cyberpunk games.

GoG - Good old games isn't it? You can't please every one, I think they nailed their niche.

GOG is old games yes but they are getting some newer ones as well but they are DRM free and that`s what they pride themselves on . To add DRM whether secretly or openly would go against everything they stand for .

That is why it would be great to have a similar store like Steam? So CDP can have more profits. But ya it will go against their fight against DRM.

archaven said:

The reason why GOG should be like Steam is because they can sell new games. The only problem i see is that because GOG is DRM free while Steam is not.

What i can see CDP/GOG do is establish another game distribution side and secretly or make it very low on DRM? Otherwise Steam triumphs over GOG :(/>/>/>. Why? Simply because Steam has the games i want and not GOG. I've spent couple hundreds buying during Steam sales... which i never have the time to play i think.

Call me a greedy pirate?... lolx Not a pirate when i pay for it XD
The social part is what makes better Steam. I really prefer the GOG's format, is more transparent, DRM free, has a lot of indie games and olg games (obviously), etc. But lack the social part, screenshots and similar things that complements Steam

With Time their catalogue will only increase, and as long they earn a good profit from it, their way will get more attention as time progress, i think they have done everything right, as one could, with their vision.

I hope they advertise their GoG very well with the upcoming Witcher 2 release, i remember the Nordic release of Witcher 2 had a lot of goodies in it but the drm in it, made your system take a dip in frames, which CDPR fixed quickly by putting the gog exe version in a patch and bingo.

This time around, i will get TW3:WH on GoG.com for sure, and hope they advertise that version more, as their cut is vastly bigger through that, and i think we all want CDPR to get the biggest part of our money when we buy one of their games, not some third party publisher. )

With Star Citizen shattering any prior belief to importance of publishers, i hope CDPR, can take that route too, and be granted the 100% pay from bought games, they deserve.

my 2 cents.

In order to grow, GOG needs to compete with Steam in good features, not in the junk which is DRM. Those good features are: Linux support, automated incremental updates (GOG should make the backend service for that and release their client as cross platform and open source to compete on privacy and trust) and so on. All these features make Steam technologically way ahead of GOG as a service (for users and developers). So GOG definitely has a lot of room to grow to catch up.

DRM on the other hand is garbage which should have literally no place in any self respecting service.

Gilrond said:
DRM on the other hand is garbage which should have literally no place in any self respecting service.
Unless a particular company offers more benefits to a service than negatives. It's a matter of how much you can balance the two scales. If Steam was more shit than good, do you honestly think it'd be as popular as it is?

Steam is awesome. But if all you can see is DRM, then I pity you. For about a month, our household had insanely fluctuating internet. It was so bad, sometimes it'd just disappear for a day or two. And let me tell you, I could still run all my installed Steam games, just fine.

Propaganda and sensationalist opinions aren't sexy. If you wanna have an adult conversation, then let's do it. I hate DRM as much as the next peep. But I don't let my fanaticism blind me to opportunities and good business practices. There's more to a company than DRM, and there's more to gaming than boycotting bad features of a service. Instead, we should be supporting good features and sound, consumer friendly business practices.

We can't always have it OUR way, but there's something called compromise. Look into it. Once we compromise our common sense and dignity to be able to play games, THAT is when the balance is fucked. When customers are getting shit on, more than the pirates that DRM was supposed to punish, THAT is when we collectively need to take a stand and, through solidarity, not support or buy any more products from said company. Unless there's more pros than cons to the service. That is when it's a judgement call and, hopefully, one based on researched facts and thorough examination.

Times are changing. And honestly, it's up to the consumers whether it's for the better, not the companies.

Unethical business practices (such as DRM) are simply not acceptable. That's it. So whether Steam sees an opportunity in that or not, it's already bad because of that.

Well personally i've said it before and i'll say it again, Steam is an added layer of complexity that I just do not need. Got nothing against it, but I don't need an artificial DRM barrier between me and the products I own, that's why I don't use it and instead do retail or GOG. Making accessing what I own more complicated isn't doing me any favours, but as I said I don't hold nowt against it or the people who use it, their choice.

Anyway GOG's got a sale on, i'm off to other worlds, night all.

I also have lots of games on STEAM and I'm online there always on my free time, but GOG is better then STEAM in so many levels! Yes, STEAM is number one, millions of people are there playing online, nice sales, community, workshop, trade, green market, but when you dig little more you will find many bad things too.. DRM is number one! Also , on STEAM you don't own any game!! You only have a liscence to play! On GOG you download your game on local computer and there you have your backup copy, but if STEAM ever go down, how will you get your games? Yes, you can play it offline, but due famous cloud, same save games and profiles will causing errors! Also, GOG offer dollar for all, STEAM euros for Europa players and they equal that value!!! Dolar=Euro!! Why?? Also, STEAM is known spyware program too! Just google how many users had STEAM acc banned cause STEAM find some pirate games/softwares on their computers.. Bouns content when buying a game on STEAM? Not even proper 'thank you', while GOG give you amazing additional stuff (just check Witcher 2 bouns content).. I'll stop here, cause there is just to many things.. :rolleyes:
Yeah, STEAM is (and will stay) best, but GOG is true gaming site, like games they sell..

Blothulfur said:
Well personally i've said it before and i'll say it again, Steam is an added layer of complexity that I just do not need. Got nothing against it, but I don't need an artificial DRM barrier between me and the products I own, that's why I don't use it and instead do retail or GOG. Making accessing what I own more complicated isn't doing me any favours, but as I said I don't hold nowt against it or the people who use it, their choice.

Anyway GOG's got a sale on, i'm off to other worlds, night all.
I'm trying to conceptualize how GOG is not a layer between you and what you own but Steam is. I guess you mean for games that you bought retail that have Steamworks activation? Because to me, the games I buy on Steam and the ones I buy on GOG are no different. The only way I "own" my GOG games is through the library that's maintained in their cloud tied to my personal account, and any backup copy I keep locally. It's the exact same thing with Steam. I don't buy retail anymore. Dust collectors.

I still buy from GOG.com whenever possible to support the non-DRM movement, and especially for CDPR games because I believe in cutting out the middleman whenever possible. As for the OP's question, I think it's better for GOG to hold the line on non-DRM and give a platform to those developers who've given up their DRM addiction. One way they might add extra revenue is to add DRM-free e-books? I would love it if GOG was a one-stop-shop for all things DRM-free.

Blothulfur said:
Also , on STEAM you don't own any game!! You only have a liscence to play! On GOG you download your game on local computer and there you have your backup copy, but if STEAM ever go down, how will you get your games?
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can also make a local backup of any Steam game and you can launch the game directly from a game's launcher without reference to the Steam client. Anyway Valve has said that if they ever go out of business, they would help decouple games from their client. Obviously you have to trust them for that, but these are the risks you take with digital content. It's still as secure as physical disks that are gone the minute they crack or get hot coffee spilled on them. And Steam sales are so cheap that I sometimes end up re-buying games on Steam that I earlier bought elsewhere, for the sake of convenience or because the old DRM is broken or just draconian.

The OP is not arguing against GOG, anyway. He/she is saying that GOG should have a DRM store for new games where publishers require it. I already explained why I don't think that's a good idea.

Veleda said:
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can also make a local backup of any Steam game and you can launch the game directly from a game's launcher without reference to the Steam client.

No, even if you launch directly from the game launcher, it still references the Steam client, and the client will run in background while you're playing the game. You can run offline (if the game itself permits it), but the client is still running. The client still phones home when it's launched even if the game is offline. If you have a working internet connection at the time, it will still check for client updates and try to download them. If you don't have an internet connection, it will still allow you to play the game, but eventually, after a few weeks, it will insist you go online again, apparently so that it can update itself, and it will stop you from playing games until you do. The local backup simply means that you don't need to download the entire game from Steam again if something happens to your local files, or if you're transferring to a new PC - it isn't a playable copy.

So the DRM is still there, the need to run the client is still there. This is the difference. Whether or not it's important to you depends on you as an individual. For many, the convenience and the social aspects of Steam outweigh the DRM issue. For others, it's a deal-breaker.

Steam uses a required client, that's the difference between it an GoG. DRM is DRM is DRM. When Iwinsky said CDP's goal is to make buying games easier than pirating, he knows what he's talking about. I can buy and start playing a game on GoG faster and more convenient than any other service I've used. Everything from managing my library, backing up games, using customer service, navigating the site - all that stuff is far easier to do on GoG. It's just a more efficient service. I tolerate Steam because I want to play certain games, but on principle Steams DRM is as bad as any other as it paves the way for more DRM schemes down the road.

slimgrin said:
Steam uses a required client, that's the difference between it an GoG. DRM is DRM is DRM. When Iwinsky said CDP's goal is to make buying games easier than pirating, he knows what he's talking about. I can buy and start playing a game on GoG faster and more convenient than any other service I've used. Everything from managing my library, backing up games, using customer service, navigating the site - all that stuff is far easier to do on GoG. It's just a more efficient service. I tolerate Steam because I want to play certain games, but on principle Steams DRM is as bad as any other as it paves the way for more DRM schemes down the road.
I honestly use both Steam and GOG.com. When it comes to the DRM issue, I am against Steam. Yet, I cannot deny how well it is implemented to make the DRM process faster. I still don't understand why CDPR promotes the idea that GOG.com is somehow faster and more convenient than any other services such as Steam. I have never had an issue with installing a game through Steam. Its as fast as GOG.com, except it has added community features. I actually love GOG.com, because it offers classic games that not only lack DRM but are not available through Steam. I still will buy the TW3 through Steam because I am sure CDPR will offer a free backup copy through GOG.com. CDPR has made a lot of profit through Steam, with both the TW1 and 2. No one can deny that factor, as Steam owns more then 70% of video game distribution on PC.

Yeah, honestly I do find Steam easier to use, too, and I've never tried to decouple a game from the client so wasn't aware if that was possible- thank you for clarifying. But now I'm going to bow out, because around here you can get lynched for expressing any sort of Steam-neutral or gods forbid Steam-positive opinion.

I use both, but with GoG I can do whatever I want with the installers. I don't like it when I have to bring up Steam to reinstall a game on my new computer. Sooner or later Steam will go out of business and all of my Steam games will be in limbo, while my GoG installers are forever (or as long as my OS supports the games).

I'm also comfortable with both.

I'd be happy to see less DRM with Steam, and for them to stop that occasional mandatory phone-home, which ALWAYS happens at an inconvenient time. But I can live with it.

I'd be happy to see more new games with Gog, but their download speeds are a problem for me, not because of their servers, but because they're outside my own country. But I still want to support them when I can.

Personally i've never had GOG tell me that I can't access my games at this time, with Steam that was a constant problem, and one that really riles me. I've paid for these games, they're mine so i'll access them when I want not when Steam judges it to be convenient for them, that's why I gave the service the boot. That and the download speeeds I get on the GOG downloader are far faster than Steam was.

That and fucking pop ups every bastard minute or two, NO I DON'T WANT TO CONTACT A FRIEND NOW FUCK OFF AND DIE OF EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA YOU INTERRUPTING BASTARD!

Sorry i'm being reminded of why I got rid of it in the first place, but as I said i've got nowt against folk who use it, it's just not for me.

Top Bottom