Why Gwent is not popular?

+
imho this game offers a lot of ways of fighting, so at the beginning the wide world could be a bit..a lot big..for a kind of players ( they don't want to study lol).

But after a month or less, you can appreciate this game like the best card game NOT p2w with every match fought with similar powers. A MUST for the genre

Popularity really is something they're going to need to work on. For my taste, Gwent is the best card game currently on the market. In terms of possible tactics, visual design and even simply how pleasant it is to play the game. But frankly all of that counts for nothing if the game isn't known.

Look at Hearthstone - It's money grabbing in the extreme (no cosmetics there you often need to pay just to be competetive).
Their design is ugly and lazy. Every single expansion they end up having whole selections of cards that wreck the balance and which often never get fixed. They've never dealt with the spammy nature of a large majority of the game's decks. And on top of that games take forever desipite HS having been meant to be "quick and casual" Hells, even the HK situation didn't really make a mark of the game.

But does any of that ever get improved in HS? No - it doesn't need to be. Simply because everyone and their grandma has heard of HS and being that well known is enough to carry the game.
Sad to say but we live in an age of information where it is possible (and often done) to flood the market with your information and skate on awereness rather than quality.
And on the flipside you can be very good but if people don't know you, then you're nothing.

I certainly wish the game well and on the occasion of the new year i wish them the popularity the game deserves. Especially since that would benefit both the game itself and the entire game genre.

This will be my first and last post here.

I played the beta, then stopped. But I had some good memories of the game. Recently I thought to check it out again. So I've been playing Gwent on and off again for the past few weeks.

I've hated almost every second of it.

The game is a chore, it's a bloody exercise in balancing accounting and needs an encyclopedia to follow. It's a job, a grind and far too much effort for a simple card game.

It's also a bloody salt mine. I don't think I've ever felt this pissed off about a game.

No, it wasn't just beause the starter decks are crap, I had nearly 40K scraps. I could make any deck I wanted and I did. It didn't help in the least with how unbalanced the game is.

But its major and unforgivable sin, it was boring. Even the few and rare victories with some tier 1 decks I copied off the web, didn't manage to provide any sense of satisfaction. Even winning wasn't fun.

I'm done with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words! All I can say is we are doing everything we can to make Gwent the best it can be and am getting pretty excited about everything we have planned.

Gwent is awesome, but how about fine tuning everything (that already exist) instead of releasing something new?

All I know is that after years of focusing on this game I finally reached a point where the thought of playing it bores me. I can't handle the imbalances and bland cards that don't get fixed or changed. This game should be far more polished than it is. There are new card games out there still in beta that feel more polished than Gwent.

One final comment, something I only realized later. A case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's taken me a whole day just to think about Gwent without becoming furious. It still annoys me, but now it's a disappointed feeling, rather than an urge to kick someone's teeth in.

And that, right there is the problem, which I only noticed after I had calmed down enough. Not only wasn't I having any fun, (matches were so slow, I was playing a mobile game to have something else to do), it was also making me mad. Really mad, and angry.

That is not the sort of experience you want to have as a player. I felt absolutely wretched after almost every game. Not just because the game made me rage, but because I had allowed it to.

To me in particular, Gwent is not just bad, it's unhealthy.

you can't expect to put a lot of people their time in a 2-year beta and then wipe all that progress for a 180 turn

and we are still in a beta look a like :beer:

I never stopped playing completely, although in a few months I had only played one or two games. I came back for the event and now I'm not playing almost.

I think that one of the things that made the game lost a lot of people's interest is the fact that you could get the cards that interest you and from day to day they would be anything else, my Ciri Nova is showing on my profile and nothing more ... is unplayable.

To me in particular, Gwent is not just bad, it's unhealthy.

The imbalance feels worse in this game than in others since it currently has much less rng than others.

HS for example, after you mentalize that you are simply playing on a roulette wheel and that you practically do not control what happens .... winning or losing doesn't matter, anyway it was RNG.

In my case after HC the game became less and less rewarding to win, before in the beta there were many situations in which you had to really think and that gave a very important addition to the game.

For example, calculate the alignment of greatswords and boats, by using weathers and cards with damage to calculate an alignment at the precise moment that would be up to 4 or 5 turns later, the healing mechanics that greatsword had at that time.. it needed to be more calculated.

Less rows, No more 3 bronzes per deck, extinct archetype (Nova decks). It is a game that should only change to become more complex, not the other way around.

1st - Gwent new politics is about - do more for money do less for ppl :smart:
2nd - Its all become very bugged. :smart:
3rd - Gwent is loosing the spirit of Witcher cuz of very strange ideas and moves:smart:
4th - Even that answer moderator will remake ore delete cuz he can! :howdy:

Top Bottom