Why has this game forced me to hate it?

+
Why has this game forced me to hate it?

To many bad design choices, for example;
1. Stupid "AUTO-CENTER CAMERA" (give me my neck muscles back, damn it)
2. Stupid "MINI-MAP" (phuck, make the whole game "top down" then! No in-world/onscreen markers, or an E.S./F.O.3/NV style compass = an exercise in frustration to imerse yourself in the world. Your mind has to resolve everything you want as feedback about your orientations through a pinhole size top down perspective. Geralts' direction, the camera direction, the direction of something of interest to you, and the direction of north" This does the opposite of "IMMERSE YOU", IT'S A MENTAL CHORE, AND REALLY MADE EVEN WORSE BY THE STUPID AUTO CENTER CAMERA)
3. Horrible, unchangeable, GAMEPAD BUTTON LAYOUT. (ALL GAMES, even on console, but esp' PC games should have fully customizable button layouts in 2015!!!) (and have you seen the "user input.ini"????? WTF is that!!!!!!????? What a mess!!!!!!!... If the whole game is coded like this.... that explains ALLOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
4. Auto BATTLE STANCE. (Nuff said)
5. AUTO SWORD UNSHEATHING/SHEATHING, AUTO SWORD SWAPPING...
6. Using up TWO BUTTONS on the controller for the purpose of ^#5.^ = !!!POINTLESS!!! (one button to enter/exit combat would suffice with the auto sword equipping feature, hell it could even be the same button as "lock-on". What a STUPID AND POINTLESS WAIST of button real estate)
7. The "CHANGE OBJECTIVE" BUTTON. (another STUPID AND POINTLESS WAIST of button real estate)
8. Separate "START AND SELECT" BUTTONS. (It was ONE BUTTON in The Witcher 2, sooooo....). (another STUPID AND POINTLESS WAIST of button real estate)
9. No center camera button while on horseback, which could also be the "auto center camera" ON/OFF switch for horseback, which could be the same button as the "call Roche" button)
10. Geralts' ENEMY LOCK-ON distance. (it's TOO SHORT. nuff said)
11. Enemies' AGGRO TETHER AND A.I. (TOO SHORT, and too BASIC / STUPID / ONE DIMENSIONAL)
12. Leveling up/gaining exp. (phuck leveling in anyway that feels "RPG" like. You're gonna level up by doing missions, the way WE want you to. ONLY!)
13. Inventory. (ugh, nuff said)
14. Crafting...
15. blaa...
16. blaa...
17. blaaaaaaa......
18. oh, and all the "BUGS" too.... (yeah)

I've got other things to do so I'm going to cut myself off here.

My last words:

CDPR... DID-NOT... ""need to make 3 versions of the game (ahem, 2 for consoles) in order to make this game at all""

That was TOTAL FALLACY. Why? 'Cause, they did not make THE GAME at all.

They only managed to make an unfinished pile of mess of gameplay, with a good story, for a game.

This game is NOT an "OPEN-WORLD-RPG", it is actually a "LINEAR-ACTION-STORY-DRIVEN....TAKE THIS AND LIKE IT THE WAY WE INTENDED YOU TO...BROKEN PIECE OF SOFTWARE".

I've applied for refund through GOG.

I'm so genuinely sad for those that had "half a brain" and "tried" at CDPR. Your colleges have truly failed you.

Last edited:
Oh yeah these center camera mode for gealt is one of the most stupid things for me.
After the MiniMap and the deleted possibilty with campfires!
And i thought we're out of the times with "Auto Sword Unsheathing/Sheathing, Auto Sword Swap.

Last edited:
1; Auto center camera is perfectly fine, and does not take away from the game at all, unless one is so hellbent on his own stupid standards that he is unable to adjust to even the smallest unconventionalities a game may have.

2; The minimap is fine. There is NO NEED for in-world and on screen markers, this is not some stupid JRPG for kids. It ruins immersion.

3; Game is best played with K/M, which is customizable. Granted, there are some bugs still, but it will be sorted out. I am not at all opposed to gamepads on PC, and bought one specifically to play DS/DS2, but this game really does not play well with a controller.

4; The auto battle stance is arguably not a very good decision, but again,. it should not influence the gameplay in any meaningful way. If you encounter enemies, you would draw your sword either way, it just saves you a button press. The only time it poses a problem is when you want to run away from the monsters, or pass through a swamp without combat, and the game keeps forcing you into combat stance. Even then, it is fairly easy to put the sword away and run.

5; Same as No.4. Minor inconvenience at best, and can be circumvented.

6; Avoided when playing K/M
7; Again, avoided when playing K/M. Also, I found this function to be useful, but apparently it is just me.
8. Again, K/M
9: Same
10: Haven't noticed,. so can't comment on this
11: Aggro tether is necessary, otherwise the monsters would chase you through the entire world. I personally have noticed short tethers only with drowners, some beasts still chase you through half the map, like griffins.
12: Untrue. You can gain XP by killing enemies, but it is significantly slower. I reached lvl 10 in white orchard without doing any main quests. Also, if you ask me, what's the point of playing the game if you never do missions? just running around? You don't need to be high level for that, as most of the hard enemies are introduced during the main storyline.

13: Granted, the inventory is horrible.

14: The only thing I dislike about crafting is that potions restock automatically

15:Congratulations on being able to formulate constructive criticism

16: same

17: same

18: yep, those are annoying as hell, I wholeheartedly agree. But they will be fixed

Just my two cents. The game is perfectly playable-

1; Auto center camera is perfectly fine, and does not take away from the game at all, unless one is so hellbent on his own stupid standards that he is unable to adjust to even the smallest unconventionalities a game may have.

2; The minimap is fine. There is NO NEED for in-world and on screen markers, this is not some stupid JRPG for kids. It ruins immersion.

3; Game is best played with K/M, which is customizable. Granted, there are some bugs still, but it will be sorted out. I am not at all opposed to gamepads on PC, and bought one specifically to play DS/DS2, but this game really does not play well with a controller.

4; The auto battle stance is arguably not a very good decision, but again,. it should not influence the gameplay in any meaningful way. If you encounter enemies, you would draw your sword either way, it just saves you a button press. The only time it poses a problem is when you want to run away from the monsters, or pass through a swamp without combat, and the game keeps forcing you into combat stance. Even then, it is fairly easy to put the sword away and run.

5; Same as No.4. Minor inconvenience at best, and can be circumvented.

6; Avoided when playing K/M
7; Again, avoided when playing K/M. Also, I found this function to be useful, but apparently it is just me.
8. Again, K/M
9: Same
10: Haven't noticed,. so can't comment on this
11: Aggro tether is necessary, otherwise the monsters would chase you through the entire world. I personally have noticed short tethers only with drowners, some beasts still chase you through half the map, like griffins.
12: Untrue. You can gain XP by killing enemies, but it is significantly slower. I reached lvl 10 in white orchard without doing any main quests. Also, if you ask me, what's the point of playing the game if you never do missions? just running around? You don't need to be high level for that, as most of the hard enemies are introduced during the main storyline.

13: Granted, the inventory is horrible.

14: The only thing I dislike about crafting is that potions restock automatically

15:Congratulations on being able to formulate constructive criticism

16: same

17: same

18: yep, those are annoying as hell, I wholeheartedly agree. But they will be fixed

Just my two cents. The game is perfectly playable-

10: Its short no doubt about that since I tested it.

13:Its personal Opinion but I dont find it that terrible. Just hoped Alchemy Ingredients would be separated from Blacksmith/Armorer Ingredients.

14: Same opinion but until everyone thinks a different way to restock the Potions (most obvious would be to re-make them in the alchemy) cant do much. Maybe a modder will change it.

10: Its short no doubt about that since I tested it.

13:Its personal Opinion but I dont find it that terrible. Just hoped Alchemy Ingredients would be separated from Blacksmith/Armorer Ingredients.

14: Same opinion but until everyone thinks a different way to restock the Potions (most obvious would be to re-make them in the alchemy) cant do much. Maybe a modder will change it.

To be frank I found Skyrim's inventory system even worse, with all the JRPG-style menus, and submenus, and sub-submenus. W2 inventory is not THAT terrible, just overcrowded, and somewhat annoying But it is no reason to hate the game, as it is otherwise awesome.

To be frank I found Skyrim's inventory system even worse, with all the JRPG-style menus, and submenus, and sub-submenus. W2 inventory is not THAT terrible, just overcrowded, and somewhat annoying But it is no reason to hate the game, as it is otherwise awesome.

Yes that's the only problem everyone has with the inventory, its overcrowded , having a tab for alchemy ingredients and Crafting Ingredients would do wonders.

If the developers cannot do it , we can be sure a modder will do it.

2. Mini-Map: I do not use or like on screen "markers" either. I want a "compass" that works on the same "plain" as the world I'm exploring. With transparency/opacity adjustment. That's immersive.

13. Inventory: Resident Evil 4 + Minecraft = Arx Fatalis. A perfect, immersive and fun inventory system. (THAT is a game ALL should play with Arx Libertatis and Arx Extended)

14. Crafting: Again, Arx Fatalis. Perfect, immersive and fun.

2. Mini-Map: I do not use or like on screen "markers" either. I want a "compass" that works on the same "plain" as the world I'm exploring. With transparency/opacity adjustment. That's immersive.

Google glasses are not a feature of the Witcher world, sorry. Wait for Cyberpunk 2077 and probably you'll have them.

##: Icons/locations are not all saved onto the main map screen.

This kinda pissed me off when I was looking for a particular vendor in Novagrad.

Yeah, you'd think they learned from the whole auto-sheathe from Witcher 1. BUT NO, even Witcher 2 had it.......and now 3. Sigh...

I dislike the camera as well, it's too far from Geralt and does not feel like Witcher. 2 nailed it imo.

Hell, 2 nailed most of the things, it was just short.

4; The auto battle stance is arguably not a very good decision, but again,. it should not influence the gameplay in any meaningful way.
Unfortunately it does influence the gameplay in a meaningful way by taking away jump in combat.
Very often you might get stuck on objects during combat, objects that you could normaly jump off, but that's not possible in battle stance. More examples of this include :
-trying to get off a boat in combat, without the jump button you have to spam roll hoping that at some point you clip into the water
-trying to reach enemies on elevate surfaces or behind cover, that you could easly reach outside of combat by jumping.

How bout', death caused by rolling off a cliff, when your just "exploring" and trying to run and jump like a champ (er, a Witcher?!) ....'Cause some dude decided to shoot an arrow in your direction?

Happened twice now since I made this post, after a complete fresh re-install with a full clean of the registry, drivers, all saves and folders, etc..., AND then setting a custom button layout with x360ce so I can finally be a bad ass (though still with the "handicaps" that come with said AUTO crap, control conflicts and needless buttons)...

......Was having so much more fun....... till the AUTO GAMEPLAY beat me again, and again..............................

LOAD MOST RECENT SAVE ... ... ?

4 words of wisdom for a Witcher:

K.I.S.S.

Last edited:
Top Bottom