Why have voiced protagonist?

+
I think we're right back at the reality of the vision CDPR had for the game. It is quite obviously not a 100%, open-ended, sandbox experience that molds itself to anything and everything a player can imagine. It is a narrative RPG-Adventure crafted around a very cinematic approach.

If narrative is all there is to it, why doesn't CDPR make a text-based adventure? Cut away everything BUT the narrative?
I mean can we get over this hump already...

The most analogous popular player characters I can think of is those in the modern bioware RPGs (Commander Shepard, Hawk, the Inquisitor and etc). They're semi-fixed based after a few starting choices made by the player. They are not wide open blank slates once the game starts, but have a perspective and motivation that is portrayed in the game.

I only played ME2, but Shepard was very much a blank slate. A character that has no personal opinion on things is a blank slate. All they do is go around saying meaningless pleasantries in conversation with dialog options reduced to:
1. Yes
2. No
3. Nevermind, I go do something else

What I want to see is have dialog choices convey actual emotion and characters personal opinion. So far it seems ok, stuff like V calling Stout a "raging bitch" because she lied to and used her. Optimally I would like to choose what V's opinion on the matter is. But that is unlikely to happen.

CP2077 is going to have character background for us to choose, Nomad, street kid, corpo. What I DON'T like, is having to make choices I don't know the context of. We don't know how those choices will shape V, unless we actually play the game. Yet I have to make that choice in character creation, not knowing what kind of person comes out.

I am reminded of the questionnaire Geralt had to answer about his past in the castle, early in Witcher 3. I had never played a witcher game before that, and I had absolutely no idea of the context of the questions. Yet I got the feeling that the answers shaped the game experience. I very much don't like being asked questions I don't know the context of. That was an example of things I don't want to see.

It is possible (and indeed likely) that V's personality is set and immutable for the purposes of narrative (instead of something we get to choose). And the background choices merely affect what prior knowledge of the world V has.

Last edited:
It is possible (and indeed likely) that V's personality is set and immutable for the purposes of narrative (instead of something we get to choose). And the background choices merely affect what prior knowledge of the world V has.

Well, not only that, as for example we know that only street kid V is able to be played as someone leery.

Well, not only that, as for example we know that only street kid V is able to be played as someone leery.

We know this how?

I wouldnt be entirely disappointed in the game if the background choice set what kind of personality V had (after all, some choice is better than none), but I can always hope for more.

Only street kid V is able to react to being force-plugged, other V are catched by surprised meaning they where not on guard meaning they were not leery.

What do you mean ONLY street kid? I don't see that option labeled street kid, meaning its available to all?

whatdo.jpg

ps. I hope that this whole scene is related to my rant a year ago about V getting caught unawares by Stouts goons in the 2018 video. There I criticized V for offering no resistance to the goons manhandling her, despite being a supposed mercenary. Sure its early in the game and she is wet behind the ears, but still. I hope they added more of this kind of scenes where you have the option to not just swallow all the shit the world hands out.

Last edited:
What do you mean ONLY street kid? I don't see that option labeled street kid, meaning its available to all?

View attachment 11026013

ps. I hope that this whole scene is related to my rant a year ago about V getting caught unawares by Stouts goons in the 2018 video. There I criticized V for offering no resistance to the goons manhandling her, despite being a supposed mercenary. Sure its early in the game and she is wet behind the ears, but still. I hope they added more of this kind of scenes where you have the option to not just swallow all the shit the world hands out.
"Additionally, during character creation, you can choose from one of three distinct "Lifepaths": Corporate, Nomad, and Street Kid. Your choice here will unlock various dialogue and gameplay options over time.
For example, when temporary ally "Placide" attempts to jack into the player's wrist socket to explain a plan (which involves breaking into a nearby Animal-run mall to track down a rival hacker), a Street Kid can opt to yank their hand away before he gets the chance. A Corporate or Nomad, on the other hand, might not be gang-savvy enough to have that option."

Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/81679-watch-live-15-minutes-fresh-cyberpunk-2077-gameplay.html

I only played ME2, but Shepard was very much a blank slate. A character that has no personal opinion on things is a blank slate. All they do is go around saying meaningless pleasantries in conversation with dialog options reduced to:
1. Yes
2. No
I'll just agree to strongly disagree.
What I DON'T like, is having to make choices I don't know the context of. We don't know how those choices will shape V, unless we actually play the game. Yet I have to make that choice in character creation, not knowing what kind of person comes out.
We'll find out how they shape the game. That's half the fun. But like Kat said, dialogue / choices that are based on lifepath are gated by that lifepath.

Key words: MIGHT not be. That proves nothing.

Well, I had other sources way back, but it's surprising how fast things sink in internet.

Found another source buried in the Media Thread:
  • When Placide forces V to connect to the network to be monitored during his mission, an interruption is possible if we have Street Kid because only a child of the street knows the way gangs work.
Source: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/new-...tory-mini-games-interactive-discussions-more/

Last edited:
That is not a reliable source. There's no direct quote, or proper source linked. Besides, it's only a single scene anyway, and in no way proves what you say it does.
Yeah IIRC thats the same article that got found in a few spots to be mis-translating polish. But, I do think that there are gates by lifepath to certain actions / dialogues. As summarized in everything we've heard:

LIFEPATH
Players can choose V's backstory through a mechanic called Lifepath. V’s birthday is set, and (s)he will be 22-23 years old. It's been confirmed that we will be able to choose V's background between three options:

Street Kid - They say if you wanna understand the streets, you've gotta live 'em. Gangs, fixers, dolls, small time pushers - this V was raised by them all. Down here law of the jungle dictates the weak server the strong - the only law in Night City V has yet to break.

Nomad - Roaming the badlands, looting scrapyards, raiding fuel depots - life on the road wasn't easy. But growing up in a Nomad clan has it's perks. Honesty, integrity and a love of freedom - qualities only a few in Night City possess, and no amount of money can buy.

Corporate - Few leave the corporate world with their lives - fewer still with their souls intact. You've been there - you've bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There's no such thing as a fair game, only winners and losers.

This choice will effect how we are perceived by various NPCs in the world, and will each give the player unique dialogue options and flavor. For example, a street kid will know more about how gangs operate, while a corporate will know better how corporate bureaucrats work and think. There are also structural changes to the story based on V's Lifepath. Each of that Lifepaths has a different starting location, as well as a questline, background and equipment that are strongly connected with their origin story. Characters from different lifepaths know different characters. Eventually each of the paths find the main quest of the game, but they still add unique flavors to the path through the story. Furthermore, your chosen backstory unlocks specific sidequests from the off.

Last edited:
That proves nothing.
That is not a reliable source.

Is there a "reliable" source besides CDPR directly and unambiguously and after proofreading saying something themselves?

I mean, I don’t know what problem (or even if there is any) is with streetkid only being able to pull their hand off there, and it is certainly possible that two different press releases got it wrong the same way but I kinda find it more improbable than the contrary.

And if there is a slew of unreliable sources to find information from, would it not serve a purpose to list them in the ”what we know so far” thread or somewhere?

Last edited:
"Additionally, during character creation, you can choose from one of three distinct "Lifepaths": Corporate, Nomad, and Street Kid. Your choice here will unlock various dialogue and gameplay options over time.
For example, when temporary ally "Placide" attempts to jack into the player's wrist socket to explain a plan (which involves breaking into a nearby Animal-run mall to track down a rival hacker), a Street Kid can opt to yank their hand away before he gets the chance. A Corporate or Nomad, on the other hand, might not be gang-savvy enough to have that option."

Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/81679-watch-live-15-minutes-fresh-cyberpunk-2077-gameplay.html

I sure hope that V pulling her / his arm away isn`t only for the Sreet Kid :disapprove:If you want to live in NC surely everyone from any LP would know not to trust Placide / Gangs , or you would be dead pretty quick .

If narrative is all there is to it, why doesn't CDPR make a text-based adventure? Cut away everything BUT the narrative?
I mean can we get over this hump already...

1. Yes
2. No

Shepard is far from being a blank slate.

An example of a blank slate protagonist would be the main character in Skyrim. Blank slates have no set personalities and function mainly as a vehicle for the player to imagine themselves in the game world.

If you want to live in NC surely everyone from any LP would know not to trust Placide / Gangs , or you would be dead pretty quick .
Not really.

Stay out of their turf and most gangs are just news not a personal threat. And those that live in gang turf don't really have a choice. Besides, with a couple exceptions, it's not like gangs just go around killing people for no reason. The biggest threat is getting caught in the crossfire, and that applies to the police and Trauma Team as well.

Not really.

Stay out of their turf and most gangs are just news not a personal threat. And those that live in gang turf don't really have a choice. Besides, with a couple exceptions, it's not like gangs just go around killing people for no reason. The biggest threat is getting caught in the crossfire, and that applies to the police and Trauma Team as well.

I know what your saying but i think The Street Kid LP should be more about knowing how gangs talk / think / maybe easier interaction with them . I think a Nomad still understands the dangers of NC even if they are new to NC , there are still gangs out of in the Badlands. The Net Runner would know this even more being from somewhere in the City .

I know what your saying but i think The Street Kid LP should be more about knowing how gangs talk / think / maybe easier interaction with them . I think a Nomad still understands the dangers of NC even if they are new to NC , there are still gangs out of in the Badlands. The Net Runner would know this even more being from somewhere in the City .
While never my specialty, I was a counter terrorism Intel weenie, I think the same "rules" apply.

Some groups are indifferent to each other, some allied, some hostile but one thing they have in common is they have an area they consider theirs, and theirs alone, and other areas considered "neutral". Knowing which side of what street is belongs to who, and what the status of various gangs is to other gangs is pretty detailed information. Just knowing what gangs exist really doesn't mean much.

Keeps you awake and makes cut scenes 100% better.

And how great were Shepard (ME), Mike (Alpha Protocol), and Geralt? Add Arthur, John, many others...

When done right, voice acting protagonist takes the game to another level.

If the voice actor seems to fit the role and does a good job, then it is usually better in my eyes than no voice. I grew up in "voiceless RPGs" but to me its more suspension of disbelief without voice (even though I could picture it) than with one.

But I understand differing views. It could be bad in turn if you cannot "connect" to a certain voice actor but I think in such games they usually do a good job.

And if some dislike it maybe there will later be mods that make PC dialogue silent, classic style.

Top Bottom