Why I cant stop replaying witcher 3

+
As player I play on Plastation consoles and I have my own preferences . I hate FPS and anything placed in modern world settings with buildings , cars , machines , guns and everything related so I really avoid this games they offer me no fun ( i tried them ) yet 90 % of them are those games. My taste is about melee combat in games and love nature and historical or fantasy settings with magic and monsters for opponents.

Witcher 3 fits here perfectly so its no surprise I like it so much. I have no problem playing games again if they are worth it and I have done that with many games even in PS2 era . The thing is when new game comes I play and beat it and then always return to witcher 3. The latest example is that I am about to finish AC Valhalla ( which is amazing game would surely replay it couple more times) and I have intention to play witcher 3 again .

For serious I beat this game 8 times since 2018 when I bought it and I still feel the need to play it again . I never skip single cutscene/dialogue and always play each side quest so my playtime is never under 50 hours and it goes up to 90 hours in just one playthrough.

Why is this the case , why this game always calls me back to it. Am I the only one with this " problem " ?

Not at all -- you're in good company, with many other players, who return to the Path, time and time again. I'm one of them. Witcher III has a great appeal, an engaging story, and a richly detailed world, which bears frequent revisiting.
Its really hard to explain, apart from amazing world , audio and graphics which are also great , the quality of story and characters is unique nothing similar exists in entire gaming industry. Other game story/characters feels so bland compared to witcher 3 its like they are short summary while Witcher 3 is full text.

This could be reason while we always return to Witcher 3.

After a while, it gets pretty difficult to leave a world that is so familiar. A while ago I had to force myself to uninstall the game after a ton of hours, otherwise, I would never have stopped. But I'm definitely planning for another playthrough once the Next-Gen-Version is out there.

And yeah, not many games can compare with TW3. Before TW3 I liked Dragon Age Inquisition. After TW3 was so spoiled and the world and quests of DAI suddenly felt way too sandboxy for me.

Definitely one of very rare cases, where I really felt with the main character and had fun with the action and the decisions.

Oh, yes. There are many games that I played over and over again throughout time. Several of the King's Quest and Space Quest series, Ultima VII + Serpent Isle, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Morrowind, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Dogma...

I didn't think it would be, but TW3 has a seat among them. Normally, very long games that are structured around a strong narrative will be astounding experiences that I love, but hardly ever return to. Things like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Baldur's Gate 1 + 2, Half-Lif 1 + 2...are just astounding experiences that I loved -- and granted, I've played several of them 2 or 3 times -- but there's not a lot to revisit.

Other games will offer one of two things...or both!...that just nail it for me:
1.) A sense of a world that just gels. All of its parts come together to create a sense of identity and flow that I can just immerse myself completely in, despite any flaws.
2.) A formula of gameplay that I never tire of. Probably the best example there is KoA. Despite having completed the whole game and all expansions no less that 10-15 times...I can still look forward to getting that piece of gear, or unlocking that ability, or engaging in that quest.

Games like TW3 somehow nail both. It's simply too detailed and engaging of a world. The characters are too defined and memorable to let go. The flow of gameplay is just too distinctive and satisfying to tire of completely.

I have closer to 3000 hours clocked and no intention of abandoning the game. I'll replay it just as much as Skyrim, most likely (and trust me, that is definitely saying a lot), despite the lack of sandbox elements.

I'm not necessarily looking forward to the next-gen version though. Hoping it won't be a forced update on PC. Game looks absolutely amazing as it is, though I'm not even on ultra due to my PC not being strong enough.
The visuals are definitely one, though not the biggest by any means, reason I love the game so much.

The story never, ever, no matter how many times I play through it, loses its magic or emotional impact (Battle of Kaer Morhen...) even if some parts (e.g. Ciri's quests) are not my favourites.

The combat is definitely the best I've experienced in any game ever, and it never gets old.

The open world rivals Skyrim's, despite the emptiness that plagues it to some extent. And it's so pretty that I like just walking/riding through the forests and countryside, or Skellige's islands.

I feel like I've written similar posts in the past, so I'm probably repeating myself to some extent. And forgetting some details.

TL;DR: I don't see myself even uninstalling the game in the foreseeable future. My GOG copy has been installed ever since I bought it in September 2016 and I sure will continue to play it. (Once I have time again.)

I have never finished the game, almost did once. Never even touched the dlcs. I've decided now that when the PS5 remaster comes, that's when I will play through this game fully. I just went 3 times through CP2077 and am excited to try Witcher 3 again! :)

There should actually be a hotline or something to help people reintegrate back into society after playing the Witcher..

Guest 4421288

Witcher 3 has ruined every other RPG game for me. I have set my standards so high that any other RPG makes me feel dissatisfied.

I have stopped JRPGs like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest series. Games like these add repetitive grind and call it "content" but Witcher 3 creates real stories and engagement from every sidequest and zero fetch quests. A game has to be long for a good reason and you enjoy the journey, but I can't find anything else to move onto.

Red Dead Redemption 2, Mass Effect series, Divinity series, Wasteland series and The Outer Worlds - Only come close to story telling, gameplay, no grind fetch quests and great side story quests. Great games.

Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inq, Skyrim, Assassin Creed series, Horizon Zero. I dropped halfway as whilst playing I would compare to Witcher world and feel I would rather replay that instead. They are "average".

So now the bar set so high I think I would get bored of any future western RPG for next couple of years until a truly innovative RPG comes out close to Witcher 3.

Too many players fall for JRPGs/WOW style fetch quests like kill X mobs and think it is called "content" to give false impression of purchase value of game because it extends play time in the "wrong" way.

Witcher 3 is long for all the "right" reasons and mesmerising story telling. There is no BS grind to slow you down.

To whoever. This "game" has changed my life. Dramatic? So be it. Very very clever, emotionally intuitive. Etc. Only mistake I naturally made was breaking D's leg. Effed my ending with that one admittedly honestly "me" move.

Add on packs great. Satisfied my longings.

Thank you. What a journey
Post automatically merged:

Oh...and hard act to follow. Horizon Zero Dawn blew me away. Very touching...especially relevant in these times. I had to try to get into The Witcher 3 after that. Now everything pales in comparison.

Best games ever...

Love Resident Evil 2. Bought remake. Great.

Baldurs Gate original...Winthrop the starting inn keep. You know u are in for a good ride after that discourse.

Command and Conquer and Red Alert Extensions.

Made my own maps with Aftermath map builder patch and add on thingys

LOL

BUT The Witcher 3. My goodness. A visual delight, masterpiece in story telling, an emotional journey. People dont realise, we gamers are not geeks, they watch movies, these are just long interactive movies with dynamic choice trees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom