Why I care...

+
I was lying awake last night, thinking about Cyberpunk. What went wrong, why I care, and why do I care at 1:00 am when I have work in five hours? I don't want this to be a long post. I've said my piece and tossed out some RED Points, the forums are chock-full of bugs, missing features, and walked back promises.

2008 I joined this form. Back when no one knew what a Witcher was. Before Witcher 3 put CDPR on the map. When it was a little studio with one game to it's name. I've been through bugs before. I've never had the same level of just stunned disappointment in a release that Cyberpunk 2077.

2020 has been a lousy year. 8 billion people in the world, every one of them has a story. For the last five months I have been on call 17 hours a day - every day, no holidays, no weekends. Crunch. I just kept telling myself, get to November 19th - then December 10th - get to Cyberpunk and you can immerse yourself in a world eight years in the making from a studio that you've known and trusted for a dozen years.

Delays bothered me, but I always gave the benefit of the doubt. "They're just going to make it that much better when it does come out." And now it's out. And I'll let the vitriol speak for itself.

I remember the day I stopped trusting Creative Assembly. I remember the day I stopped trusting Bioware. Heck, I remember when I used to get excited for EA releases and I've straight up boycotted them for years. F me for trusting a Corp, but I thought CDPR was different - and that's what bothers me the most.

We've all been there but being sad about it isn't gonna help! They have plenty of time still to give us the game they made us believe in! Hope dies last, or so they say ^^

Guest 4406876

All those companies you mentioned, none has failed that big IMO.
Well besides Anthem.
The games were at least playable. Shitty? maybe, but not that shitty.

So dissapointed by this game. I just hope they will fix it with adding the content in future... but i will never preorder again.

If somebody from CDPR is reading this. I know how hard it is to make a game. I am developer myself. I dont want to lighten your hard work.

It is just sad how that happened.. idk.

Delays bothered me, but I always gave the benefit of the doubt. "They're just going to make it that much better when it does come out." And now it's out. And I'll let the vitriol speak for itself.
They did make it better.... just not a lot :p

Joking aside, I think a lot of people share your frustration. And I honestly think that the management of CDPR regret it as well, despite the amount of copies they have sold, which they would have anyway had the delayed it.

To be honest, looking at the passed few years of how these AAA studios chooses to release games, It seems that this is just the way it's going to be. For me, I won't pre-order a game again ever. I had confident that CDPR wouldn't do this or at least not as bad as the others, but honestly there is no difference. So im out, I won't pre order again. And from reading how many issues people have, I feel very lucky that it is not me, but it might as well have been. And I would have been just as angry.

It surprises me the level of upset people have. Yet will buy the same call of duty game every single year when it hasn't changed very much since modern warfare 4. Games have problems and there is more to a company then just the creative division. games can get held up for a number of reasons. financials, share holders, political issues, creative issues, staffing issues, learning curves and a plethora of other reasons. I understand being upset, I'm sure the devs that actually worked on the game at CDPR are pretty sad too right now because I'm sure there was stuff hey wanted to change, fix, or even make better. Have to also remember that all video games are created on computers and are then coded or in most cases down coded for consoles as they cannot handle all of the features that pc's can. That's just facts, it is a huge long process to make a game of this magnitude with this level of detail. Sure Activision can pump out cod every five seconds. their character models are basic and poor at best and so are their weapon models, there is more detail in one room in Cyberpunk then their is in most cod maps.

My whole point here is don't hate an entire company who is still young in the industry and growing. They will fix the game, they did with Witcher 3 and then gave us a bunch of free DLC content afterwards as a thank you for trusting in them. So come on man, this industry is hard enough to grow in trying to compete with money hoarding douche bags who pump out bs every five minutes. Lets not crush a company that could honestly do some good in the industry as long as they don't lose touch with their fans like the rest of the gaming mogals.

I'm frankly of two minds about the situation. On one hand, CDPR was nothing but pro-player company. Fair deals, great games, no loot boxes, no abusive practices, at least towards players. No DRM shop. Single player games above everything else.

Yet Cyberpunk situation is alarming. I don't even want to defend them except giving them more time to fix and tune the game, add necessary content. People should have a right to express their disappointment. A lot was promised and a lot wasn't delivered on top of poor technical condition of the game. CDPR should learn from this not to over-promise and manage their development to realistic dates, not slave driving devs into impossible schedule. It's hard to build trust and it's so easy to lose it.

I'm frankly of two minds about the situation. On one hand, CDPR was nothing but pro-player company. Fair deals, great games, no loot boxes, no abusive practices, at least towards players. No DRM shop. Single player games above everything else.

Yet Cyberpunk situation is alarming. I don't even want to defend them except giving them more time to fix and tune the game, add necessary content. People should have a right to express their disappointment. A lot was promised and a lot wasn't delivered on top of poor technical condition of the game. CDPR should learn from this not to over-promise and manage their development to realistic dates, not slave driving devs into impossible schedule. It's hard to build trust and it's so easy to lose it.

Well said, I just wanted to point out that we should not hate on the Dev team. want to hate the company, that's fine. sucks for its dev's that are working hard. But don't punish a Dev team that doesn't ultimately have the last say. everything has a final process and someone always has a final say on what stays, what goes, and how to handle things. it is not the Dev team. lol like any business their are bosses, and bosses bosses, and bureaucracy bs. The dev's themselves just do as they are told. that's my point. like the rest of us when we go to work, we all just do what we are told. lol

and who are the bosses of the bosses, bosses, bosses, boss?
the share holders of the company.

Although I'm sure that some hate is getting pushed at the devs - just because that's they way it always seems to go - I would agree that that is super misplaced. They're suiting up, punching in, punching out, non-stop - to paraphrase Samurai - same as the rest of us.

There's no hate in my heart for CD Projekt at all. I've had some of my best moments in gaming with them. Finally getting recognized in my Geralt cosplay, I've had some great moments outside of gaming thanks to them.

That's part of why I find this whole debacle so depressing and sad. When Paradox releases something, I know that 10 DLC and an extra $200 will make it a hell of a game. When CDPR releases something, I've always - always - felt, this is awesome and the extras are the icing on top. Right now, I barely have faith that the cake is going to finish baking, let alone have any icing. Everything I thought I knew about CDPR is kind of in question.

They did make it better.... just not a lot :p

Joking aside, I think a lot of people share your frustration. And I honestly think that the management of CDPR regret it as well, despite the amount of copies they have sold, which they would have anyway had the delayed it.

To be honest, looking at the passed few years of how these AAA studios chooses to release games, It seems that this is just the way it's going to be. For me, I won't pre-order a game again ever. I had confident that CDPR wouldn't do this or at least not as bad as the others, but honestly there is no difference. So im out, I won't pre order again. And from reading how many issues people have, I feel very lucky that it is not me, but it might as well have been. And I would have been just as angry.

I understand the frustration and I think that's why I stopped paying attention to the hype train. I honestly put cyberpunk out of my head when it was announced. I continued to play Witcher and other games and didn't bother to follow any of the media behind it. I didn't pre-order it until maybe a week before launch. "Even then my wife said are you excited?" I said yeah I'm alright it's cool they managed to get Keanu Reeves in it.

maybe that's the huge disconnect for me and why I am not as mad about it as everyone else. I stopped buying into the hype train I would say the same time I realized call of duty was just the same damn game over and over and over again with no innovation to it at all. so just after Modern Warfare 4. lol
Post automatically merged:

Although I'm sure that some hate is getting pushed at the devs - just because that's they way it always seems to go - I would agree that that is super misplaced. They're suiting up, punching in, punching out, non-stop - to paraphrase Samurai - same as the rest of us.

There's no hate in my heart for CD Projekt at all. I've had some of my best moments in gaming with them. Finally getting recognized in my Geralt cosplay, I've had some great moments outside of gaming thanks to them.

That's part of why I find this whole debacle so depressing and sad. When Paradox releases something, I know that 10 DLC and an extra $200 will make it a hell of a game. When CDPR releases something, I've always - always - felt, this is awesome and the extras are the icing on top. Right now, I barely have faith that the cake is going to finish baking, let alone have any icing. Everything I thought I knew about CDPR is kind of in question.

And that is understandable too. I get that, it's hard for a company that is growing and has shifting managements and ideas to maintain their image. Like everything the company made up of everyone in it is a living organism that will grow and as they grow their image will shift with every new leaders say or as the company ages and becomes more experienced in their way of doing business. It isn't until a company start losing touch with it's clients being us the gamers that there is a huge disconnect and we run into problems like EA and Activision. I think CDPR has time to redeem themselves and we should give them to at least the end of January. As I know they have two patches planned for two dates in that month I believe, I read something about that.

I'm willing to bet that by the end of Jan CDPR turns this bad boy around and makes it all better.
I have some Faith in them!

Last edited:
After first day I couldn't sleep. Game felt fun and interesting but... something was wrong. I could feel it.
Then I remembered 2018 demo and realized what was wrong, everything felt like a bootleg demo of that two year old presentation.

Just one example from that demo to not kick CDPR too much. Instead FANTASTIC cutscenes when we can see our character ,someone decided that cutting to black screen and moving us arround is much better option, becouse " first person immersion ". haha just NO. It doesn't work at all.
Judy asking me to close the door, I'm doing it, and it cuts, move me somewhere else - oh how "immersive" that is.
Cutscene would be thousand times better in EVERY situation like this. Plus we could have reason to care how our V looks like.

This is to me classical example of what went wrong. They kept changing concept for the game so many times, that final product came too chaotic. Main quest and everything arround it - especially.

Game is still fun thou. Playing it every day :) But it could be so much better.

After first day I couldn't sleep. Game felt fun and interesting but... something was wrong. I could feel it.
Then I remembered 2018 demo and realized what was wrong, everything felt like a bootleg demo of that two year old presentation.

Just one example from that demo to not kick CDPR too much. Instead FANTASTIC cutscenes when we can see our character ,someone decided that cutting to black screen and moving us arround is much better option, becouse " first person immersion ". haha just NO. It doesn't work at all.
Judy asking me to close the door, I'm doing it, and it cuts, move me somewhere else - oh how "immersive" that is.
Cutscene would be thousand times better in EVERY situation like this. Plus we could have reason to care how our V looks like.

This is to me classical example of what went wrong. They kept changing concept for the game so many times, that final product came too chaotic. Main quest and everything arround it - especially.

Game is still fun thou. Playing it every day :) But it could be so much better.

See! still having fun!

Love it, and ya every game has room for improvement.

I like your opinions too. You give a problem and what you would have done differently. constructive criticism I love it! Great Job! :)

The fact that they did not give reviewers the eight gen console versions to review is pretty scummy. CDPR knew the eight gen console versions were buggy and were not finished, yet they refused to acknowledged it and just pushed it out the door. I don't blame the games developers themselves, just the higher ups pushing them to release an unfinished product.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kas6vq

Like in general the game is serviceable (for pc of course, heard its a pandemonium in consoles). I enjoy the shooting, visual and story. But at the same time I can't help to think about the incomplete stuff that show in your face from story, to the rpg system and interaction with the city, the skeleton is there but you notice the missing material. Its a really robust skeleton but its missing the Arnold Schwarzenegger golden age muscle to do the skeleton justice.

CDPR still has the opportunity to be "good." There's nothing stopping them from continuing to build on Cyberpunk post-release *and* pre-DLC, it just remains to be seen. However, at the end of the day they're a billion$ company now and a large portion of devs are already slated to begin working on future projects :/

Top Bottom