Why I hate Witcher 2

+
ahhh @guipit; look, the main reason for that lateral dlc idea is to encourage further playthroughs. CDPR have not given us extensions to the end of a game before, with all the ability changes etc that would entail. Such a strategy will also affect the narrative choices they can make (i.e. possible Geralt death / island retirement). Something along the lines of TW1's separate extras wouldn't be taking advantage of the Open World.

The general gamer Zeitgeist, I feel and i'm guilty of it myself, is to play a game once. CDPR need to encourage their new players to change this habit.

And it plays to their strengths... well drawn complex characters that have their own agendas and can seriously affect outcomes in the narrative.

geralt was to stiff and he never walked or jumped he didnt sprint either. remove the jogging please. the lock on target system was lame keep that stuff in jrpg games. i dont like pop ups or screen tear. i dont like loading screens or stupid stiff ai slaming doors in my face or them walking then stopping all the time. i dont like the rush. if i need to hurry i will sprint or ride a horse also i like awesome and consistan art in an open world game i want caves / monsters to be new and fresh. not a modifide monster or den i have seen before with a mild twist. i want every movement geralt makes to look and feel perfect in every way from start to finish. dragons dogma/tomb raider and gta v have some of the best jumping/movemet animations i have ever seen. however dragons dogma suck cuz if you just wanted to walk normal and look at the world you had to just barely push the left stick forward just like tw2 and the sucks. anyways if anyone has ever played these games you will know/see/feel and hear all the things that make a video game fun and really stand out. i have total faith in the soul kreators of tw3. it is going to shock and awe to say the least im hella stocked to play the ce of tw3 on xboxbone/ps4. will it be true 1080p native or 720p again also i could give to shits about kinect. i only care about the awesome controller so please program some cool vibrations. cuz the xbox one controler is perfect for tw3 hands down. oh yeah i think dust animations when walking are to much and over used in to many games/ foot prints are cool if they stay on screen long enough but in real life i never see dust fly up when im in a dark cave or bar. im not saying the w games do this but if they do make it tastful and keep it real. i will preorder ce tw3 as soon as we all get the green light. thanks for letting me rant :)

Why I hate Witcher 2 ? Because is the undertaken promise of TW3 coming and makes me wait on and on and on and on and on.......

So true .... can t agree more to that my lady. Hope we see some gameplay video soon... the waiting makes me :wallbash:

Thats your opinion, and just like lack of imagination or originality, you are entitled to it.

You didn't seem to get my point

compare "Shani DLC" to another DLC called "The Price of Neutrality"

I'd be a lot more interested in something like the PoN because I'll probably get a good story out of it rather than the Shani DLC which just means I get to see Shani and fuck her and party with her fuck that shit. I'd rather have a DLC focusing on a good story and marketed as such with Shani as just bonus rather than having Shani as the focus of the entire DLC

you get it?

No, I'd say you aren't giving CDPR credit with what they can do with a character, and instead thinking along the lines of a Protean day 0 dlc ripped from a vanilla game.

I bet CDPR could surprise us with something never seen before, and make "character dlc" really mean something.

It was only an idea, primarily to address replay... and you still aren't addressing that issue.

So until you do, or become a little more pleasant... i'll leave you to your narrow-mindedness.

@Kudos I think a character DLC that's mid vanilla game is even worse than it being on the side or after end-game, I mean, compared to a story one.
Focusing on one character for such a thing is OK at most, imo. Now put it in the middle of the game and make me get to it by spending hours upon hours on content I saw before? No thanks. Even with CDPR's talent and passion I don't think you can make a character DLC trump a story DLC.

I didn't hate TW2.

The only thing which I found annoying was that its game pad support made the mouse/keyboard support practically null. I use trackball/keyboard making me IMHO seriously badass to even be able to kick ass as many times as I played in various modes in TW2.

I am most happy that they are bringing back the mouse/keyboard support for PC as in TW1.

That's the only thing I had issues with....aside from wanting more, more, more..... :victory:

@Kinl3y; I said nothing about it being "midgame". Shani came to mind (it could just have easily been Kalkstein or anyone else), because its easy to imagine her moving around the Open World - because thats what she does in TW1 - say an aid camp in NML, hospital in a town, out in the world herb picking. She could be a quest hub at these places, while on a mission of her own, a mission that could substantially affect the outcome of the narrative.

You may not like the idea of replaying the whole thing - but many of us do, and its the way CDPR games are made, not to be played once.

The main point is to encourage further full playthroughs - which CDPR DEFINITELY want the players to do, and the modern gamer is not particularly used to in games.

No, I'd say you aren't giving CDPR credit with what they can do with a character, and instead thinking along the lines of a Protean day 0 dlc ripped from a vanilla game.

I bet CDPR could surprise us with something never seen before, and make "character dlc" really mean something.
I will agree with Guipit.

Because look at it this way ... Remember the Morrigan DLC in dragon age origins ? (the Witch Hunt DLC) that was centered on finding her after 2 years of the events in Awakening ? (I had to buy it because she was my Warden's love and their love story needed a closure for me).

What you possibly ask for is stripping a story which is essential to the main plot of the game and sell it later ... I would love to have a full fledged out story DLC instead like what CDPR did with Price of Neutrality.

However, if CDPR manages to release meaningful "Character DLCs" as you put it ... Then maybe I will change my mind, but at this time, hell no ... I would not risk cutting out a portion of a character's story for a DLC and would rather instead have the full experience of a character in the main story.

Last edited:
@Kudos I didn't say I don't like replaying games, I very much do. Replaying a game just because "OMG this one NPC got added" just doesn't appeal to me, with nostalgia and all. And the costs and time needed to weave such a character in an already established narrative is another thing, it's not as easy as it sounds.

EDIT:
Also how would it affect the "outcome of the narrative" if it's not mid game?

Last edited:
@King_Hochmeister; No if you look at the original post I made a point of insisting it wasn't something ripped from the vanilla.

Look... they have never given us something tacked on to the end of the original game, with the modifications to the skills trees that requires, and the affect that would need to have on the narrative of the vanilla (Geralt cannot die / retire). They have either added quests midgame in TW2 - which is fine, or separate stories in TW1 - which doesn't suit the open world.

This is just another option, another way of adding the quests with a more character driven element - which, surely we can all agreee, is CDPR main strength.

I'll blame the UI lead for his instead. The UI team did a poor job and if I was to point out a single area of responsibility that was significantly lacking in production quality of the game, it'd be UI followed by engine programming.

Absolutely! UI is the reason number one why I never completed this game, even though I have it from day one. UI simply failed to be my extension and never managed to fully drag me into game world. I've felt like I had no control over Gerald during combat plus unclean minimap with confusing interactive floating icons annoys me pretty much, till I've broke patience wall and deleted game from the drive.

Aye goran-srb-,

the UI and the inventory where pretty meh in TW2 i disliked them to. Yes TW2 has some weak points, but that does not drive me to say I HATE it.
Ride to Hell is a game to hate, mobile Dungeon Keeper (remake) is a game to hate....

TW2 is pretty much close to the best games i ever played. Specially in these days... where most of the games require DRM Software, in most of the case the
games are heated up sequels of franchises without any inovations... ala CoD, AC and so on. Anyway i can say for sure TW2 isn t for every player out there.
because its far away from that what other companys push out.... and CDPR do an exellent job in not following the mainstream.

So long

^ I do not hate game and I have never said that, in contrary I think it is graphically beautiful looking game, my PC handled it without problem, knowing CDPR and W1 story is probably outstanding, but... I dislike that UI so much because of it's poor design I've been prevented to complete and fully enjoy the game, sorry but that's me.

I think most of the points made in the initial post are valid.
I did like the Witcher 2 and in many ways the 2nd game offered a really good experience, especially in terms of story telling and atmosphere.
Compared to the first game however, Witcher 2 falls flat in a few area's.
I personally was disappointed with the simplified alchemy system of Witcher 2. Also the minigames (especially dice poker) were less fun than they were in the first one. Combat felt frustrating. Even though I eventually learned to work with it, I never enjoyed it in the same way as I did in the first game, mostly because I never felt fully in control of what Geralt was doing.

I disagree with a lot of what you said, but a lot of key points do make sense. The engine works great for me and runs fine, the only thing I don't like is the pixel grainy edges of shadows. As far as mouse movement goes, you need to turn off cinematic DoF for mouse movement when talking to npc's for it to act normally, for whatever reason that setting reduces cutscene and talking to merchant FPS by a lot for no gain in visuals.

Also, you may have had mouse smoothing on or something... After turning off cinematic DoF I don't have any mouse sluggishness whatsoever, you may want to check if your mouse has smoothing on it in its program settings or windows default settings.

As far as the mini-games go I agree that they were all extremely easy other than dice which is random luck. I agree that tw2 was far more linear than tw1, but honestly I don't really care anymore considering tw3 is open-world. Combat WAS definitely clunky and had no way for you to deal with multiple enemies surrounding you as it only let you attack 1 thing at a time, which is one thing I really hope gets improved upon in TW3.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you, IN ALL POINTS AND FOR ME IT BROKE THE GAME ENTERILY, STORY SAVED IT ALL BUT NOT EVEN ENOUGH WHEN GAMEPLAY IS THAT AWFUL.

My rank to the game: 3/10 and only to give a respect for the storyline, really nasty gameplay, graphic motor and lag/stutter.

But i will add some more of useful things apart of the mentioned cutcene kills GOD I HATE DAT.

Bosses difficulty:
Well there are little scales in stage bosses, the kraken (Kaernk or something like that) will kill you in 3 hits on dark (IDK in normal because i am a hardcore gamer and as i played TW1 game on hard and it was not hard at all but it was a good game, so i started the witcher 2 on dark as i saw something about special equipment and i love that things in gameplay, Susprise? YEP, dark equipment is broken, yeah glitched and really broken especially the swords and the sick stomach sounds plus removal of all music, not bad enough? Hmmm let put some black fog are we? This is the top bug i have seen in years). You get that suckish epic armor in stage 1 to get kaked in 3 hits, nice really? Okey lets talk about the draugr boss, this one is super mega ultra annoying and ofc expect some fps drops and lag due to overloaded environment. Boss battle is not as hard as the first one (I wont count the Letho fight because we all now he is Gerald but with the maxed ability tree), the draugr fight is poorly designed to 2 of his skills: Interesting arrow shower and meteorite/bomb shower, try to attack him when he is using his 2 favorite fu*kin skills and you get punched instead. Quen spam is expected from the players, you need a miracle to defeat that annoying boss that barely let you hit him if you didnt improved the sadly nerfed quen.

Act 3 boss, the Dragon: This is the last mistake that i managed to stand against far enough, if you have played Dark Souls like I did (Love that game to the end BTW) you may remember Artorias, well forget about him he is just a maggot against the dragon, Artorias is nothing he is reaaaaallly easy, why dont you go and put down a dragon in TW2 on dark? This is the real man job, if the Kraken may kill you in 2/3 hits, the Dragon onehits you no matter what gear you have, you better go naked to the battle why bother in gear? You should have lvl 25-30 for the time you fight that piece of crap, you may have the Kingslayer armor (I had the traitor one, more than enough to put down 4-5 soldiers or monsters in no time). Why do you need any kind of resistance or armor when a boss is scripted to kill you in one hit. CD deffend the difficulty with: We have been inspired in the Dark Souls difficulty, well YOU EPICLY LIE... In dark souls you dont get oneshotted or onehit deaths if you wear the best avaliable equipment for the time, for example facing the bell gargoyles if you wear a +4-5 suit plus a basic sword in +4 you get killed in at least 3-4 hits, with Artorias The Abysswalker (Pretty Hard and Nice Boss) having a snake 2H blade that you get in the fortress in +8-+7 give you a very big advantage and by the time i arrived at lvl 100 he was not really hard, but easy enough to put down in 10 or 11 hits. Not to mention the companions help.
You made a large mistake with scripted 1 hit deaths, same mistake you made with cutcene deaths, all that stuff are bugs, not better than that.

Should you play on Dark and get the special armor to prepare for the real challenge like bosses? I SUGGEST NOOOOO WAY, CARE ABOUT YOUR TIME DONT CRAFT THE SPECIAL ITEMS BECAUSE SOME BOSSES ARE BAD SCRIPTED TO KILL YOU IN 1 HIT, HAVE NASTY MOVES/STRATEGY OR BOTH. The dragon have it all, nasty strategy and moves, onehits, penetrates your Quen nerfed shield (Shame on you for nerfing it, why didnt you nerf the Dragon), fire that fully ignore your Quen, etc. Reaaally sad that you decided to shit on the amazing story with this awful gameplay, hack and slash combat and onehit deaths? What kind of misc is that? Reminds me of Gothic 3 LMAO combat with 2 buttons one to attack fast and 1 to slow, reminds me to the Skyrim dragons too... That were toy dragons with soda instead of fire if you compare to the nasty one of TW2.

I didnt ragequitted that hard since the Capra Demon, but i did it right. I bought the game on a store (2 discs inside) for 40 EURO, had to play it with mods THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY FOR FIXING SOME STUFF IN THE GAME, i removed the fog and creepy sound of dark equipment, cheated the missing piece of the draugir armor for the 2nd dark armor (Game is stupid enough to not tell me, loot the corpses or something like that and i was in a hurry plus without space in the inventory, no drops later until i got a drop from boss of act 2, useless in that time due to the mod i installed and proud of it). For the act 3 i lost my patience, i godmoded trough the final bosses, game was really bad that i lost my atention on the ending, i was really pissed off and skipped it by ignoring it. I simply returned to the shop where i bought the game from and asked for a refund, the reason was clear: Broken game.

One more thing: I dont care about the age of the main topic. I was talking about the enhanced edition, not enhanced enough to reach the 5/10 rank even.

Last edited:
TheLordDSK;n7920120 said:
Totally agree with you, IN ALL POINTS AND FOR ME IT BROKE THE GAME ENTERILY, STORY SAVED IT ALL BUT NOT EVEN ENOUGH WHEN GAMEPLAY IS THAT AWFUL.

My rank to the game: 3/10 and only to give a respect for the storyline, really nasty gameplay, graphic motor and lag/stutter.

But i will add some more of useful things apart of the mentioned cutcene kills GOD I HATE DAT.

Bosses difficulty:
Well there are little scales in stage bosses, the kraken (Kaernk or something like that) will kill you in 3 hits on dark (IDK in normal because i am a hardcore gamer and as i played TW1 game on hard and it was not hard at all but it was a good game, so i started the witcher 2 on dark as i saw something about special equipment and i love that things in gameplay, Susprise? YEP, dark equipment is broken, yeah glitched and really broken especially the swords and the sick stomach sounds plus removal of all music, not bad enough? Hmmm let put some black fog are we? This is the top bug i have seen in years). You get that suckish epic armor in stage 1 to get kaked in 3 hits, nice really? Okey lets talk about the draugr boss, this one is super mega ultra annoying and ofc expect some fps drops and lag due to overloaded environment. Boss battle is not as hard as the first one (I wont count the Letho fight because we all now he is Gerald but with the maxed ability tree), the draugr fight is poorly designed to 2 of his skills: Interesting arrow shower and meteorite/bomb shower, try to attack him when he is using his 2 favorite fu*kin skills and you get punched instead. Quen spam is expected from the players, you need a miracle to defeat that annoying boss that barely let you hit him if you didnt improved the sadly nerfed quen.

Act 3 boss, the Dragon: This is the last mistake that i managed to stand against far enough, if you have played Dark Souls like I did (Love that game to the end BTW) you may remember Artorias, well forget about him he is just a maggot against the dragon, Artorias is nothing he is reaaaaallly easy, why dont you go and put down a dragon in TW2 on dark? This is the real man job, if the Kraken may kill you in 2/3 hits, the Dragon onehits you no matter what gear you have, you better go naked to the battle why bother in gear? You should have lvl 25-30 for the time you fight that piece of crap, you may have the Kingslayer armor (I had the traitor one, more than enough to put down 4-5 soldiers or monsters in no time). Why do you need any kind of resistance or armor when a boss is scripted to kill you in one hit. CD deffend the difficulty with: We have been inspired in the Dark Souls difficulty, well YOU EPICLY LIE... In dark souls you dont get oneshotted or onehit deaths if you wear the best avaliable equipment for the time, for example facing the bell gargoyles if you wear a +4-5 suit plus a basic sword in +4 you get killed in at least 3-4 hits, with Artorias The Abysswalker (Pretty Hard and Nice Boss) having a snake 2H blade that you get in the fortress in +8-+7 give you a very big advantage and by the time i arrived at lvl 100 he was not really hard, but easy enough to put down in 10 or 11 hits. Not to mention the companions help.
You made a large mistake with scripted 1 hit deaths, same mistake you made with cutcene deaths, all that stuff are bugs, not better than that.

Should you play on Dark and get the special armor to prepare for the real challenge like bosses? I SUGGEST NOOOOO WAY, CARE ABOUT YOUR TIME DONT CRAFT THE SPECIAL ITEMS BECAUSE SOME BOSSES ARE BAD SCRIPTED TO KILL YOU IN 1 HIT, HAVE NASTY MOVES/STRATEGY OR BOTH. The dragon have it all, nasty strategy and moves, onehits, penetrates your Quen nerfed shield (Shame on you for nerfing it, why didnt you nerf the Dragon), fire that fully ignore your Quen, etc. Reaaally sad that you decided to shit on the amazing story with this awful gameplay, hack and slash combat and onehit deaths? What kind of misc is that? Reminds me of Gothic 3 LMAO combat with 2 buttons one to attack fast and 1 to slow, reminds me to the Skyrim dragons too... That were toy dragons with soda instead of fire if you compare to the nasty one of TW2.

I didnt ragequitted that hard since the Capra Demon, but i did it right. I bought the game on a store (2 discs inside) for 40 EURO, had to play it with mods THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY FOR FIXING SOME STUFF IN THE GAME, i removed the fog and creepy sound of dark equipment, cheated the missing piece of the draugir armor for the 2nd dark armor (Game is stupid enough to not tell me, loot the corpses or something like that and i was in a hurry plus without space in the inventory, no drops later until i got a drop from boss of act 2, useless in that time due to the mod i installed and proud of it). For the act 3 i lost my patience, i godmoded trough the final bosses, game was really bad that i lost my atention on the ending, i was really pissed off and skipped it by ignoring it. I simply returned to the shop where i bought the game from and asked for a refund, the reason was clear: Broken game.

One more thing: I dont care about the age of the main topic. I was talking about the enhanced edition, not enhanced enough to reach the 5/10 rank even.
I think you're forgetting that AoK is rapidly approaching nearly 7 years since it's release date. This game was considered another crowning RPG achievement in it's day, and I still think it is. I've played it up to Act 2, just after finding the wheel and pillar where Sabrina Glevissig was... executed. The game didn't feel as good as Wild Hunt, but that's for quite obvious reasons. I'll return to it once I've built my new PC, as I can't stand playing it on console with a lower resolution than 1080p.

I find it surprising that you're complaining about the "hack and slash" combat since, after all, the combat system in Wild Hunt is vastly similar to AoK.

Also, I didn't read too much of your post because I'd rather not read a detailed description of fights I haven't encountered yet, and my input on such fights would be artificial anyways.

When people hate your game for the tiniest and least important feature like UI and minigames you know you made a masterpiece
As for your more important gripes:
- Geralt random animations: not random at all, just different depends on his position compared to the enemy, and can easily be learned
- unresponsiveness? Just realistic, no one can stop his own two-handed sword swing in the middle of the swing
- optimization is just golden, and I have no idea what you're griping about

the only thing I'll agree with you about is the maps size which was lacking

Top Bottom