Why I hope it will be a possibility that your love interest can die as the story unfolds

+
I'm getting old. However one thing has remained true. After 25 years of having had gaming as a hobby, Aerith's death in FF7 is still the biggest gutpunching train-to-the-face feeling of real loss in a fictional character I've ever felt. The geniuses that made that game back in 1997 had the balls to break all tropes before GRRM had even punched in the first letter of the red wedding in A Song of Ice and Fire.

25 years and thousands of games later, nothing came close.

I'm truly hoping that it will be possible in CP2077 to not only fall in love, but the possibility of actually losing them. In FF7 you didn't have agency to stop it, and it was still brilliant. However I don't expect something like an unavoidable tragic fate to be the case in CP2077. It would detract too much of the game as an RPG and player agency. Still, I'm really hoping it will be possible. In a sort of tragic ending.

Real hard choices, emotionally, is a rare thing but still happens from time to time in some mastercrafted RPGs. And there is nothing more at stake when the life of a love interest is on the line. CDPR knows what they are doing and I don't ask for much because I trust them, but if I was to ask for one thing it's this. What made it so impactful in FF7 was that it didn't happen in the ending. It happened in the middle of the game. So you carried that loss with you.

So. Hoping something similar might be possible in CP2077. The possibility of losing your love interest has extreme potential for emotional impact for the players if done right. Not suggesting an "unavoidable fate" that removes player agency. But some hard tough to swallow choices that may lead down this road depending on how we play.

What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I'm not a big fan of 'Lose your Loveeee'' . Not cose I want my Happy ending with Unicorn (which I do :p) .

But because I come from a world, where the Lesbian character always has to die . and I'm sick of it .

Granted, it isn't in Video Games, no . In Video Games, BW granted me another pain in the butt kinda of Grief..of 'Lesbian gotta be rogue..cose..reason' .

As long as it is a choice, and not something shoved down without any say from the player . I say knock yourself out . Give it to those who wanna use kleenex .

Homewhever, where I draw the line is the 'Fake choice' . Where they make you believe you can actually save someone, then Dun Dun Dun! Sorry, we never mean for that character to y'know..live? be happy ?

I hate those! and I hate those kind of thing in others thing as well . It's a lie and it suck . It doesn't add anything and leave you dissapointed and bitter .

It's mostly been indie games but I seemingly cry at the drop of a hat these days so even Assassin's Creed Odyssey made me tear up a little.

I can see in DA :I it worked not death but betrayal. For me the world has enough shit things happening so why take my LI away in a game i play for enjoyment ?

Sild

Ex-moderator
Although i personally enjoy tragic stories on occasion and the tragedy type of story would lend itself very well to the "make it personal" approach to storytelling of Cyberpunk 2020 and probably 2077, i can't say i would want that. I mean, i'm open to surprises but i'd rather have it avoidable somehow. People have enough tragedies in their lives, having to go through them again in a video game that's supposed to be about "having fun" can have issues of its own.

The E32019 movie shows the possibility for Jackie to die, and I believe he is a possible love interest for at lest femV. As for the ide of love interest dying. It should be done right. Not just "He/she died. Now go get revenge". It should be more or less dependant on the players choices. And I hope they won't do anything bullshitty along the lines "We got your gilfriend, do as we say or else..." :)

Ah, another interesting topic that I'm really torn on. I don't actually know what I'd prefer, so bear with me (or just skip this post) as I analyze the subject.

First off, I definitely agree that something like this would absolutely need to be done right and something other than "[character] will die no matter what you do". If a game's going to allow my character to romance someone, it really ought to also give my character at least some say/influence in the love interest's fate.
For a cheesy example, they could be saved from an otherwise unavoidable tragic end by treating them well and caring about them (which could be implemented in various ways).

On one hand, I can get ridiculously attached to even minor side characters and their deaths can make me really sad. A major character, especially a love interest, dying could even put me off the game for a while.
On the other hand, tragedy is an excellent way to make the game feel more real in a way. To me, if a game has a significant emotional effect -- sad or happy or anything in between-- then it's a lot more memorable (for better or worse).

Let's say there's a potential love interest called Jim in the game, and he can die in certain scenarios. I'm playing the game for the first time, and choose Jim as my V's love interest without knowing what Jim's fate may be. Eventually Jim does die because the conditions for that to happen, whatever they may be, are met. It would feel cruel. If I looked things up and found out I could've prevented Jim's death then I'd be sad that I failed to save him.
Now, if Jim was scripted to die no matter what, and I found out about it after his death, then I'd be extremely unlikely to ever have my V romance him again.

Conclusion (and TL;DR): From a purely subjective point of view I wouldn't want this in the game -- but from a more objective one I would want it because of the potential value it would add. Ultimately, I'd go with the more objective point of view, and so I'd say this is a good idea.

I'm reminded of the City Elf origin in "DA: Origins". It was the first one I played (and the one I ultimately chose for my first play thru) and by the time it was finished I disliked and distrusted humans, nobles in particular, and one specific noble who I was overjoyed to have been able to kill. This to the point that one other play thrus with other origins I let him rot in his cell or killed him.

Done well emotional moments make a decent game good and a good one great. Done poorly, or hamhandedly, the opposite happens.

I don't want any sad endings. Life is not happy and I'm playing CyberPunk2077 to escape and have fun.

"Nothing came close" is quite a stretch, objectively speaking.

Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Baldur's Gate II, Metal Gear Solid series, Valkyrie Profile... And it's only from the top of my head when it comes to emotional or gut punching moments in games. Majority of them are about death of close ones.

Anyway, I believe there should be sad outcomes. They give choices/mistakes weight. If it involves death of a love interest or some other person we feel connected to one way or another (personally or through emotions of some NPC) - so be it.

You've not engaged with Cyberpunk much before have you?
Assumptions aside..... I still don't like sad endings. I want to succeed. I want to win. I want to feel the wind in my hair and the overwhelming feeling of a victory that was so well earned, that It was a gift from heaven.

There are companies that make games specifically for people who enjoy only wind in the hair like Nintendo. I'd rather have full spectrum of emotions.

Last edited:
I'm totally on board with a variety of outcomes big and small, happy and sad throughout the game and not just the ending. I just don't want those things to be railroaded, let it be based on my choices and competence.

There are companies that make games specifically for people who enjoy only wind in the hair like Nintendo. I'd rather have full spectrum of emotions.
Why do you assume I like nintendo, or that I feel that way about nintendo games...?:confused:
I'm totally on board with a variety of outcomes big and small, happy and sad throughout the game and not just the ending. I just don't want those things to be railroaded, let it be based on my choices and competence.
I'm so glad someone understands. This I agree with! :D(y)

Top Bottom