Why i think this game deserves more praise despite the issues

+
I just did read the test of a German Gaming Magazine...
88%, and this is downgraded because of the flaws...
which is realy good
One tester said..
In many ways the best game he ever played.
Story, Character.. insane
one of the most detaild and believable open world games

the worst thing is...
leading platform was PC... most games have as leadingplatform a consol..
and thats the problem...
i doubdt many games will use PC as leading platform after this
Game Star? Hm.

I think people underestimate how important these things are when you are actually on a death sentence. And while it seems like a lot of time, its really not. Most hardcore players beat it in like 100?150? hours 16 hours x 14 days is 224 hours. And Victor's two week time frame was a guess at best.

If you had 2-3 weeks to live do you try to do everything that can be done, or do you rush to face the end as quick as possible? and argument can be made for either course.
For staters, if I had somehow gotten roped into a heist against Arasaka that went bad, I would not trust the fixer I was doing the job for to not clean me up as a loose end.

Next, I would probably be very aggressively trying to find the guy who designed the chip and have him specify the exact model and programming of the nanites that are rewriting my brain. Then I'd point a gun at his right testicle and ask him exactly how adamant he was that he couldn't make a new kind of nanite to EMP the old nanites? Then I'd point at his left nut and ask if he was absolutely, positively, 100% convinced that he could in no way manage to build a similar nanite to the old one that simply rewrites my brain instead of a Johnny-brain?

Next, I'd be breaking in at the home of executives at certain other corporations and make them offers about some very hush-hush Arasaka god tier tech that they can get their hands on at the slight and frankly absurdly cheap cost of building some custom nanites. They get to really screw over Arasaka, I get to not die from brain overwrite. Win-win.
Post automatically merged:

yes.. but dose that realy matter?
Metric 86%
IGN 9/10
Game Informer 9/10
PC Gamer 78%

overall the game got good ratings... even with its flaws.. on PC
Now check user rating from people who played the game a fair bit more than those reviewers and who didn't have to fear negative feedback because they crapped on a mediocre game with a stunted gameplay loop and more bugs than your average Bethesda title. PC rating on Metacritic, 7.2/10 from 27,000 ratings. And 7/10 is probably about right, for 1.05. Release version, probably 5/10 at best.

But this is being on the generous side, since the game is fairly enjoyable as an arcade run-and-gun kind of game. The less seriously you take it, the more fun it is. Take it seriously and all the problems and incoherencies also have to be taken seriously rather than laughed at and ignored. And the game just isn't able to carry that burden.

Last edited:
yes... metric is the steam rating... which is PC...
Metacrtitic is also consol... and to be honest.. 7.2 is still good when you count the PS4/X-Box users within
i can honestly say... iam having lots of fun with the game
more then i ever had with AC Valhalla (100h playtime) or Odyssey (~ 350h playtime)

@ArvGuy also.. i can accept if someone dosnt like the story, or cant play because of bugs..
but that witchhunt thats gooing on... like i dont wanna play a smoker.. i whant to be able to remove female breasts.. i whant to marry a lesbian as a male
some people have so high expetations... even Star Citizen which will hopefully be the most complete game will never be able to satisfy everyone

Last edited:
Metacrtitic is also consol... and to be honest.. 7.2 is still good when you count the PS4/X-Box users within
more then i ever had with AC Valhalla (100h playtime) or Odyssey (~ 350h playtime)

Yep - I loved Watchdogs 1 (but am yet to finish it), have only managed a few hours in Watchdogs 2. Haven't finished an AC game since Brotherhood (despite owning them all).

Cyberpunk has dwarfed the playtime I spent in those games (indvidually not totally) and in a little over a month - and that includes the 3 lifepath playthroughs.

Once you get away from the feedback loop of memes and YouTube clickbait headings it's not perfect, it could have been better, it was a missed opportunity - but still - in spite of that - It is a damn good game and does not deserve the vitrol and hate it is getting.

No, 7.2/10 is for the PC version only. PS4 version is at 3.5 and Xbone is at 4.8.

And Steam rating is a positive/negative binary, not a decimal out of 10. Meaning you don't know if everybody on Steam actually felt it was a 6/10 game or a 10/10 game, just that they felt it was more in the 6-10 area than the 1-5 area, assuming 6 is the minimal passing grade. This is to say, 78% positive on Steam does not translate into 78/100 as a rating.

Guest 4375874

What the thread title says.

The way it persues themes that 90% of games would never dare to look into, themes like patricide, suicide, graphic violence, religions, the boundaries between sentient AI's and humanity, the whole plots about sex dolls and braindances - even tho its heavy influenced by genre classics like Neuromancer and Strange days - iam just glad they had the balls to pull all of this off, instead of some generic "heroic" (and most importantly 'safe' and non-controversial) story like most of these hyped up AAA games. the writing is just phenomenal, and the side questchains centered around important characters do offer so many memorable moments - Judy's and Panam's stories and romances, RIvers search for the serial killer, the Peralez couple, Kerry and the Samurai reunion, the Sinnerman etc, i think most games would give up everything for just a couple of those.

I've never been more immersed and invested in a story and gameworld in general, games like Mass Effect, Witcher 3 and RDR2 included, which are highly praised in that regard. And the important characters have more soul and personality, than any game I've ever played.

That being said, Iam sure it could use more content, also the pacing is weird, like Johnny's and Kerry's questlines are among the best in this game imo, yet many people may very well miss those, i would add at least one main q before the date with Hanako.

And one more thing, i think its a shame, that you have no way to distinguish the regular generic side gigs from the actual cool ones, like Pepe' wife, Brandon the soda machine, Skippy etc etc, again most people will miss those, because theres no way to find out about them.

I must say iam probably lucky, havent experienced any game or immersion breaking bugs, i mean if the story is your main ace in the sleeve, you better be sure it works properly. everyone will give a pass to openworld related bugs, there are lots of those in every game.

And let me be clear, iam not trying to defend things that are obviously bad or worse, like the pedestrian AI, the police system is outright laughable (although i hope that'll improve in time, theres like a frame of proper police system in there somewhere, if you ram a police car for example, they'll start chasing after you, shoot from the car, send the drones etc, like its supposed to be), no usual suff like appartment buying and character customisation and theres more, what i think is, that in comparrison to what the game has to offer, are those things forgivable. to me anyway.
I mostly agree with you but I'm curious about the apartment thing and why you think that would be a good addition. This game followed the Witcher 3 for the devs which had none of these things, so buying several apartments just doesn't add anything at all to the player experience. It didn't for that game and I never found myself thinking "hey another apartment would be nice". I have probably only been in the main one a handful of times after a month of playing. I almost never go there. So I'm curious to hear why you think several apartments is even necessary. A lot of the responses are because GTA or Skyrim did this...the problem is I'm not interested in this being GTA or Skyrim. If I wanted to play that sandbox type game then I'd go play that. I got bored of RDR2, same with GTA5 I didn't finish either of them. No amount of apartments would change that and the same for Skyrim, it was fun for all of 5 mins. They could add it later on or something but it's not at the top of my list of must have additions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now check user rating from people who played the game a fair bit more than those reviewers and who didn't have to fear negative feedback because they crapped on a mediocre game with a stunted gameplay loop and more bugs than your average Bethesda title. PC rating on Metacritic, 7.2/10 from 27,000 ratings. And 7/10 is probably about right, for 1.05. Release version, probably 5/10 at best.

Look at the distribution of the scores. Almost nobody rated it 7/10. Most reviews are 10/10, few are 0/10.

People that gave 0/10 mostly complains about bugs, or the game not being a second life simulator as they expected but an action and story driven game.

I mostly agree with you but I'm curious about the apartment thing and why you think that would be a good addition. This game followed the Witcher 3 for the devs which had none of these things, so buying several apartments just doesn't add anything at all to the player experience. It didn't for that game and I never found myself thinking "hey another apartment would be nice". I have probably only been in the main one a handful of times after a month of playing. I almost never go there. So I'm curious to hear why you think several apartments is even necessary. A lot of the responses are because GTA or Skyrim did this...the problem is I'm not interested in this being GTA or Skyrim. If I wanted to play that sandbox type game then I'd go play that. I got bored of RDR2, same with GTA5 I didn't finish either of them. No amount of apartments would change that

Oh, that was just an example, i meant that I'd like more options to customize shit in general, you know basic stuff, like to change hairstyle, tattoos etc. although i like some sort of safe haven in games, place that you can customize and just chill for a while .)

Yep - I loved Watchdogs 1 (but am yet to finish it), have only managed a few hours in Watchdogs 2. Haven't finished an AC game since Brotherhood (despite owning them all).

Cyberpunk has dwarfed the playtime I spent in those games (indvidually not totally) and in a little over a month - and that includes the 3 lifepath playthroughs.

Once you get away from the feedback loop of memes and YouTube clickbait headings it's not perfect, it could have been better, it was a missed opportunity - but still - in spite of that - It is a damn good game and does not deserve the vitrol and hate it is getting.
We're talking about a 2020 game with no AI, no physics, no interaction between the player and the game world, almost nothing will even affect the game world, broken perks that don't do anything, omniscient teleporting cops, a frankly annoying item system that belongs in looter gamers, a general gameplay balance that goes off the deep end far too easily, and a terrible crafting system, and broken vendors, and all permanent NPCs being literally static and anchored to the same spot 24/7 for the entirety of the game...

And you're saying it doesn't deserve the criticism? And this is before I start ranting on problems with the story and how the dialogue is actually quite awful if you want to role-play.

Putting it a bit bluntly, if a great pastry chef makes the worlds best cake but then barfs all over it then you don't just scrape off the vomit and praise him for how good the cake is. You tell him to get his shit together. CDPR are a pretty good but perhaps not great pastry chef and this game isn't the world's best cake, but it could have been pretty close. But vomit is vomit and CDPR need to get their shit together.

The devs do deserve a lot of praise, the city is amazing well done, the story is well written and voiced, the themes are bladerunner/dredd and is superb always wanted a game like this.

However indo think the game is not that immersive in the open world, its more akin to marvel avengers or looter shooter than rdr2, even the newer ac are far more immersive open world games at the moment.

Ots a fab game but the illusion wears thin in the world quite quickly, can i go play poker,fishing, eat at a saloon, go barbers, get drunk and arrested, no unique random spawn quests , as a immersive game like rdr2 not even in same league, its a great game all the same in its own right
This isn't directed at you - but that last quote is one of the things that irks me the most in our wonderful online world of pile ons.

Why can't it just be Its own thing?

I don't want this game to be another GTA or RDR - I don't want another Deus Ex or Mass Effect - I want this game to be what this game is. If I want more of those games, I'll get THOSE games. I just want more of this game, in this game.

I'm all for the game bringing in more immersive stuff because it's clear people want that, but just because it's not those games - doesn't invalidate what this game is or does.

I hope someone else brings out another game "Cop Fighting Simulator 2050" or "NPC life simulator X" so people who want those things can have a game that caters EXACTLY to what they want.

..but I just want more side quests and stories in Night City because I can't get enough of it.

He is talking about the quality of the gameworld's interactivity as an open world, which for him easily brings up Red Dead and GTA games in which Rockstar is mastering the open world genre. At least that's what I think he is getting at.

Look at the distribution of the scores. Almost nobody rated it 7/10. Most reviews are 10/10, few are 0/10.

People that gave 0/10 mostly complains about bugs, or the game not being a second life simulator as they expected but an action and story driven game.
About 2k gave it 5-7. About 7k gave it 1-4. About 18.5k gave it 8-10. It should be obvious where I would be on that scale, but overall 7/10 seems fitting.

Trying to reject all the less than positive scores for being just bugs is as reasonable as me writing off the positive people for being Ass Creed action gamers that wouldn't know a good story if you beat them over the head with it.

We're talking about a 2020 game with no AI, no physics, no interaction between the player and the game world, almost nothing will even affect the game world, broken perks that don't do anything, omniscient teleporting cops, a frankly annoying item system that belongs in looter gamers, a general gameplay balance that goes off the deep end far too easily, and a terrible crafting system, and broken vendors, and all permanent NPCs being literally static and anchored to the same spot 24/7 for the entirety of the game...

And you're saying it doesn't deserve the criticism? And this is before I start ranting on problems with the story and how the dialogue is actually quite awful if you want to role-play.

Putting it a bit bluntly, if a great pastry chef makes the worlds best cake but then barfs all over it then you don't just scrape off the vomit and praise him for how good the cake is. You tell him to get his shit together. CDPR are a pretty good but perhaps not great pastry chef and this game isn't the world's best cake, but it could have been pretty close. But vomit is vomit and CDPR need to get their shit together.

On the contrary, I said it's not perfect and has issues (thus criticisms are warranted) - I said it doesn't deserve "the vitriol and hate". You're' comparing the game to a chef vomiting on a pastry. You're literally talking about spewing vitriol.

but still - in spite of that - It is a damn good game and does not deserve the vitriol and hate it is getting.
I enjoyed my time in Cyberpunk as well in fact I loved it. But I guess I was one of the more fortunate ones as I for the most part didn't have a lot game breaking bugs... not to be mistaken for not having bugs, because there were a lot. I only crashed one time during my playthrough.

But that doesn't mean that the game is not a complete mess with bugs and issues showing up pretty much every 3-5 minutes, whether that is people that despawn in front of you, mobile phones hanging in the air etc.

It also doesn't change the fact, that they released a game hardly playable on consoles despite saying that it was. Even when they apologize they make it sound like it came as a complete surprise compared to when they themselves tested it.

It also doesn't change that they have spend the last few years telling people how amazing and in depth and complicated varies systems and mechanics were, only for them to release something that is even less advanced than something that were released up to 10 years ago.

Try to look at this video which just shows some of issues that people have had with the game, then I think all criticism is well deserved. There is absolutely no way that CDPR weren't aware that the game had a lot of issues when they decided to release it. It doesn't mean that people should "hate" on them, but it is absolutely fair to point out how they failed to live up to what they themself told people and never backed down from at any point.
They never talked about any features having been removed, that the game was changed to be more of a linear adventure/action game than a RPG game. If people that love the game now for what it is and think its where it should be in that regard, I think it's fine. But again we were told it was an RPG first, with very complex story driven choices and after that it was an action game. And I personally judge it as such and don't just accept that they change the genre because they didn't deliver, then they should be made aware of it and turn it into the game they promised, otherwise it is false advertising in my opinion.

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

resisted for a long time the urge to comment on what's going on in this kind of threads,
all that'll be said here is :

if you're here to have a good time and share it with others
please feel welcome (and make ample use of the ignore function)

if you're not .... that's quite sad, please take a long look in the mirror
and reevaluate your life priorities

The way it persues themes that 90% of games would never dare to look into, themes like patricide, suicide, graphic violence, religions, the boundaries between sentient AI's and humanity, the whole plots about sex dolls and braindances - even tho its heavy influenced by genre classics like Neuromancer and Strange days - iam just glad they had the balls to pull all of this off, instead of some generic "heroic" (and most importantly 'safe' and non-controversial) story like most of these hyped up AAA games. the writing is just phenomenal, and the side questchains centered around important characters do offer so many memorable moments - Judy's and Panam's stories and romances, RIvers search for the serial killer, the Peralez couple, Kerry and the Samurai reunion, the Sinnerman etc, i think most games would give up everything for just a couple of those.

+100. I have been thinking this myself but have not found the words to express it. You said it very well here.

In short.

What "mature" players think mature content is:
Fancy toilet flushing animations, naked screen shots, pron BDs.

vs.

What mature content actually is:
"The way it persues themes that 90% of games would never dare to look into..."

Cheers Chooms.

the sheer scale and detail puts most open world games to shame, and they're not even on rockstar's level of budget and personnel. people love making the gta/red dead comparisons, but at the end of the day gta and red dead redemption 2's campaign are glorified rail shooters that barely make use of level design beyond drive from point a to point b, engage in the same unimaginative recycled shoot outs with the same spawning wave of gangsters or cowboys, whereas every mission area in cyberpunk is highly detailed, handcrafted and there are multiple paths and options, and dialog interactions with npcs.

red dead 2's technology and level of polish is superior, but when it comes to the actual gameplay, it's far behind.

remove the obvious glitches and bugs that low iq people like to record and point and laugh at on youtube, and suddenly there's nothing they can cry about. the gameplay itself is in fact solid.

the sheer scale and detail puts most open world games to shame, and they're not even on rockstar's level of budget and personnel. people love making the gta/red dead comparisons, but at the end of the day gta and red dead redemption 2's campaign are glorified rail shooters that barely make use of level design beyond drive from point a to point b, engage in the same unimaginative recycled shoot outs with the same spawning wave of gangsters or cowboys, whereas every mission area in cyberpunk is highly detailed, handcrafted and there are multiple paths and options, and dialog interactions with npcs.

red dead 2's technology and level of polish is superior, but when it comes to the actual gameplay, it's far behind.

remove the obvious glitches and bugs that low iq people like to record and point and laugh at on youtube, and suddenly there's nothing they can cry about. the gameplay itself is in fact solid.

Not to say that RDR2 story for example, is a mess. It drags for way too long. People complain about CP2077 and the chip false urgency, but it's way worse in RDR2 where it's basically a loop of "Hey guys, I've got a plan, let's do this one last time" -> fails horribly -> "Hey guys, I've got an even better plan to make things right, let's do this one last time" -> fails horribly -> "Hey guys..."

I seriously started questionning Arthur's sanity and ability to make decisions on his own when reaching the 4th chapter ; 4th and 5th chapter are unnecessary and a drag.

And icing on the cake : nobody complained then about Arthur
dying from tuberculosis
yet having time to hunt legendary animals and do random side things for as long as you wanted. The trope is exactly the same as in CP2077 with the chip.

Bottom line : if people want to cry, they'll find reasons to cry. If they want to find ways to break a game, they'll find it. Seems to me like some irrelevant bad faith issue. Bandwagon decided to trash CP2077, they'll trash it even on its good features (story, characters, design).

Top Bottom