Why is boxing trash?

+
How does this game mechanic work?
Im lvl 30+ lvl 20 body, street brawler. Epic/legendary items.
Last boxing gig the dude literally two hits me. 1 Hit, -80% health. Block does nothing to mitigate the damage. His arms are at least 2meters long. The jump punch cannot be dodged if you are anywhere near the edge of the ring, and you can get stuck on the chair.

Sometimes the "gut" punch works and sometimes not. Sometimes he is stunned sometimes he instatly kicks me or does a spinning punch.

Well, ok, I don't mind a challenge. Got him under 40% health. But oh look, hows doing a spinning kicking jumping move? The dude wont stop attacking me for 10 straight seconds.

Conclusion: I have to land around 30 clean hits, he has to land 2. I fuckin hate boxing in this game.

What about the quest itself? The little girl is cringe. Viktor and his lines are annoying. I think he is meant to say good, keep going when V is ahead, but I got the line even when the dude punched me dead.
Also, you can't save just before the fight, so if you want to try your luck, you have to skip trough all of Viks bullshit.

GG

I liked the last boxing fight, but it's got some ragged ends. I don't understand the girl's line either, seems like we should have encountered her earlier? But meeting and talking to all the previous opponents, and Victor, is fun, if you move around after the fight. Maybe the outcome is randomized a bit too much? I won really easy.

With good cyberwares, legendary gorilla arms (full modded) purchased after level 40, it's relatively easy :)
(apparently, the girl's have some dialogues before the fight, but she never want to speak to me before...)

I did wait until I had the arms :) Am doing current playthrough with LESS hacking and more punching, but seems to be a pain to have to save so much eddies to change the cyberdeck to use the fun mods. Game directs you into serious netrunner-mode more than it needs to.
Post automatically merged:

With good cyberwares, legendary gorilla arms (full modded) purchased after level 40, it's relatively easy :)
(apparently, the girl's have some dialogues before the fight, but she never want to speak to me before...)
BTW, why should it matter what level you are when you buy cyberware? If it's available to buy at a lower level, and then you level-up, shouldn't it have the same effect?

If you want to buy all the car, yes ;)
But if not (and if you haven't activated the perk to dismantles junk), eddies are not a real problem. I always finish with more than one million (by spending without really counting, like at Jinguji).

It's not. I enjoyed the fights and taking on a custom-enhanced World Champion should be incredibly tough. Frankly, you should lose. Always.

BTW, why should it matter what level you are when you buy cyberware? If it's available to buy at a lower level, and then you level-up, shouldn't it have the same effect?
Nope, the gorilla arms are like the clothes in shops. There are levelled at the moment where you enter in the shop (open the inventory).
So Gorilla arms purchased at level 30 are less powerfull than ones purchased at level 40 (same between level 40 and level 50).
For most powerfull gorilla arms (mantis or mono-wire), you must buy them at level 50 :)

It's the reason why all free cybeware (legendary) was removed in 1.2 ;)
(legendary mono-wire looted at level 5 was incredibly weak...)

If you want to buy all the car, yes ;)
But if not (and if you haven't activated the perk to dismantles junk), eddies are not a real problem. I always finish with more than one million (by spending without really counting, like at Jinguji).
Ha well yeah I did get the scrapper's perk :) And now that I commit to more side-gigs, money is not a problem. But still, have to save a bit and leel-up to change the cyberdeck (no cars! except for the sweet gold one).

Nope, the gorilla arms are like the clothes in shops. There are levelled at the moment where you enter in the shop (open the inventory).
So Gorilla arms purchased at level 30 are less powerfull than ones purchased at level 40 (same between level 40 and level 50).
For most powerfull gorilla arms (mantis or mono-wire), you must buy them at level 50 :)

It's the reason why all free cybeware (legendary) was removed in 1.2 ;)
(legendary mono-wire looted at level 5 was incredibly weak...)
I did not know this :-O

How does this game mechanic work?
Im lvl 30+ lvl 20 body, street brawler. Epic/legendary items.
Last boxing gig the dude literally two hits me. 1 Hit, -80% health. Block does nothing to mitigate the damage. His arms are at least 2meters long. The jump punch cannot be dodged if you are anywhere near the edge of the ring, and you can get stuck on the chair.

Sometimes the "gut" punch works and sometimes not. Sometimes he is stunned sometimes he instatly kicks me or does a spinning punch.

Well, ok, I don't mind a challenge. Got him under 40% health. But oh look, hows doing a spinning kicking jumping move? The dude wont stop attacking me for 10 straight seconds.

Conclusion: I have to land around 30 clean hits, he has to land 2. I fuckin hate boxing in this game.

What about the quest itself? The little girl is cringe. Viktor and his lines are annoying. I think he is meant to say good, keep going when V is ahead, but I got the line even when the dude punched me dead.
Also, you can't save just before the fight, so if you want to try your luck, you have to skip trough all of Viks bullshit.

GG
Should try to evade his flying punch instead of tanking it.

Last edited:
Ha well yeah I did get the scrapper's perk :) And now that I commit to more side-gigs, money is not a problem. But still, have to save a bit and leel-up to change the cyberdeck (no cars! except for the sweet gold one).

I did not know this :-O
This is also why the price was halved (before it was 100K). Now for the same price, let's say you can buy one at level 30 and then buy another more powerful at level 40-45.
The only item in the game who follow your level is Skippy :)

So it seems like you can't play with the 'combat' cyberdecks until you're well advanced in the game? But by then you have access to a lot of fun quickhacks so to switch is almost perverse.

So it seems like you can't play with the 'combat' cyberdecks until you're well advanced in the game? But by then you have access to a lot of fun quickhacks so to switch is almost perverse.
It depend, how you want to play ;)
If you want melee mostly, you can start with a "basic" cyberdeck (and use "optic reboot") for "easy" melee fights. And after that go with Sandevistan and way after Bersek.
But I find hacking way too fun, so I always have a Cyberdeck (even if I use a katana).

It depend, how you want to play ;)
If you want melee mostly, you can start with a "basic" cyberdeck (and use "optic reboot") for "easy" melee fights. And after that go with Sandevistan and way after Bersek.
But I find hacking way too fun, so I always have a Cyberdeck (even if I use a katana).
Well I'm trying that first option right now :) I think it'll be fun trying to get through without ANY quickhacks hehe.

Well I'm trying that first option right now :) I think it'll be fun trying to get through without ANY quickhacks hehe.
I've played several builds with the combat cyberdecks. Short answer is if you're putting points into relfexes for blades,.. then sandivstan is the way to go.. If you're going blunt weapons and putting points into strength,.. then berserk. I didn't bother putting any points in intelligence at all. Alongside Str or reflex, I levelled tech and cool. The sandevistan and bersek decks are gated depending on your attribute level (agi and str respectively)

I've played several builds with the combat cyberdecks. Short answer is if you're putting points into relfexes for blades,.. then sandivstan is the way to go.. If you're going blunt weapons and putting points into strength,.. then berserk. I didn't bother putting any points in intelligence at all. Alongside Str or reflex, I levelled tech and cool. The sandevistan and bersek decks are gated depending on your attribute level (agi and str respectively)
This sounds like fun. Very happy not to waste effort on Intelligence, just like real life o_O

This sounds like fun. Very happy not to waste effort on Intelligence, just like real life o_O
oh it is.. with bersrk you can sortta do a super hero leap and send a group of them flying before knocking some heads... With sandevistan you get some nice slowmo which you can mod to get the cooldown to a few seconds. Would advise bringing along a silenced pistol to take care of cameras or getting underneath them and if you have enough technical you can turn the cameras off that way. Oh.. and watch the explosive containers.. they lead to some quick deaths

It's not. I enjoyed the fights and taking on a custom-enhanced World Champion should be incredibly tough. Frankly, you should lose. Always.
Well, I get the idea, but
I don't mind it to be hard, but I would say it is inconsistent. Sometimes your opponent staggers from your hits sometimes they ignore it and puch you in the face. I was behind him, throw a hard puch at him and he spin slapped me to death. That's bullshit in my opinion.

hard games are fun when the mechanics are tight so the player knows when they messed up and why, boxing mechanics like most in this "game" are NOT "tight" ... let's be constructive, not expecting cdpr folks to be familiar at all with fighting games so let's just mention Absolver and Kingdom come Deliverance as relevant examples of mechanically "tight" fighting, many other relevant examples come to mind but those two should be a good starting point.

hard games are fun when the mechanics are tight so the player knows when they messed up and why, boxing mechanics like most in this "game" are NOT "tight" ... let's be constructive, not expecting cdpr folks to be familiar at all with fighting games so let's just mention Absolver and Kingdom come Deliverance as relevant examples of mechanically "tight" fighting, many other relevant examples come to mind but those two should be a good starting point.
I feel like we expected them to deliver Witcher 3 level of polish and content or even better, and we didn't realize that they have no experience with any of the systems they wanted to deliver in Cyberpunk 2077.

Top Bottom