Why is crossbow damage so up the pole in new game+ ?

+
Why is crossbow damage so up the pole in new game+ ?

Ok so I'm on level 60 after competing base game and both expansions. Started a new game plus. Problem is the cross bow. In the normal playthrough it took one or two shots to kill drowners underwater. I'm trying to get at the "spoils of war" chest outside the nilfgardian compound in white orchard, but the freaking drowners just don't die, it takes like 5 to six shots even with explosive bolts etc to kill them and by the time Gerald reloads, the second drowner swipes him once and he is dead. I'm not even playing on death march. Drowners outside the water are no problem. Why is the crossbow so weak now?

Last edited:
I think starting a NG+ at that high of a level was never considered. I think I've seen someone say 52 is the max level before things go wonky with NG+.

Did you use any mods like Always Full XP to get to 60?

yeah, definitely an oversight... crossbows don't level up.. so you are usually using level 29-30 crossbows against level 60 drowners, therefore your damage is insufficient against them.

probably might be worth submitting this with Tech support as a bug for next patch...

It's not just when starting NG+ on a high level. I ran into the exact same thing when starting a NG+ at level 39: those Drowners could take around 10 bolts in the face.

I managed to kill all three, but it took quite a while.

Edit: Yes, I was using the default infinite ammo bolts.

Are the drowners red or green? If they are red that may be why and it may be worth returning when they are green or white.

Yeah it's definitely the rare and relic bolts that stuff it up. Changing back to default bolts fixed it for me too.

Wich actually make sense,
The bolts you took with you from the normal game are underpowered compared to the same ones of that sort in NG+.
So lets say they wont have the effect they had in the normal game but if you find a NG+ copy of those bolts they will have the same effect.
Thats why regular bolts are more superior early on.

So I am the only one around here who doesn't use the crossbow. At all. I merely keep on my inventory for the rare passage where it's mandatory ^^

Otherwise it's good to know about NG+ bolts.

I tried with the standard bolts (as suggested) ....8 shots to kill the drowner .....5 shots with standard game explosive bolts. Also noticed the underwater drowners have a red skull above their health bar...ones on land don't. I think it's a level scaling issue .......

---------- Updated at 03:55 PM ----------

I think starting a NG+ at that high of a level was never considered. I think I've seen someone say 52 is the max level before things go wonky with NG+.

Did you use any mods like Always Full XP to get to 60?

No mods I'm a ps4 peasant ;) I grinded a lot in my wait for B&W, killed a lot of wolves and there is a bug in Skellege on the lighthouse tower island, if you don't complete the quest related to the lighthouse the wraiths respawn. Started B&W at level 49 or 50 I think.

Top Bottom