Why is Gwent so addictive?

+
Why is Gwent so addictive?

I can't put my finger on it, what is it that makes grown ass adults play the game over and over again.

Especially when everyone has seen it all before and face the same decks and tactics over and over again.

You would expect this game to be very tedious but it has a strong community and players who have been playing since day 1 and are still very passionate about the game

Does ranked winning trigger dopamine boosts or something?
:comeatmebro:

In your opinion what is its that makes Gwent so consistently enjoyable to you? (and be honest, are you addicted?)

Would you never play Gwent again for $5000?
:sleepy:

Even though a lot of decks you face are pretty much the same, I love making my own decks and I enjoy that you can still built unconventional decks and have a positive winning percentage with that.

And some decks are just super funny to play :D - I can say I had fun with every faction this season, even though balance is not always that great and spy spam annoys me.

devivre;n10192062 said:
Even though a lot of decks you face are pretty much the same, I love making my own decks and I enjoy that you can still built unconventional decks and have a positive winning percentage with that.

And some decks are just super funny to play :D - I can say I had fun with every faction this season, even though balance is not always that great and spy spam annoys me.

That's the kind of ethos that i approve of.

I never netdeck. Ever. Always using oddball and/or uncommon decks.

The question is would you accept 5 grand to never play gwent again?

I play the game since the first faction event (Skellige vs. NR) so i have not a big card pool or multiple decks to play. Before the patch i found the game fun and varied but after the patch i only get people way higher than me in casual play and always the same BS decks (Nilfgaard and Dwarves). Nilfgarrd is an auto-forfeit because i have not enough time for this time consuming crap (which i will lose anyways). At the moment i wouldnt say that i am addicted (more forfeiting games than playing them) so for 5 grand...yeah, i would take the money and never look back.

Last edited:
I started Gwent in under a month, and so far, I'm loving it!
No matter all the negativity surrounding it recently, I personally think it is a great game, which requires a lot of thinking and is fair for new players, unlike some other card games.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have been playing Gwent since October 2016, when Closed Beta came out (and before that, over 100h on Gwent on Witcher 3), and by now i can safely say im addicted.

Sometimes i launch it planning to just do the 6 daily rounds won, and only stop 5 hours later. What drives me is the different cards, decks and combos. I never had a full collection, so i always have a reason to play more. However sometimes i take a break of a weeks to 1-2 months, if i feel i've tried everything i wanted on that meta, and wait till the next update to return.

Gwent, is just, a curious case.

Can`t be addicted to games...sadly I`ve grown up and gotta do other stuff. But the game got the addiciton-ingrediant, that`s or sure

A *highly* curious case rather :p :doubt2:

Τhe game is addictive, and I've had to regulate it in the past to avoid being addicted to it.

I can't say truly what it is that makes it so addictive, but it's always fun to win :) If you are talking about dopamine boosts, well I've had something of the sort when I've used Kambi, or the time I used Sweers on 7 nekkers before the patch :p I mean, I think that's what it was xD But good or surprising victories can always excite me. Enough to just stand up and pace around the house for a few minutes thinking about the match.

There are a lot of decks I find annoying to play against, and some with. And more often than not I curse the player behind them :p but the awful truth is that they are not at fault nor do they play in any underhanded/dirty way most of the time. Aside from those who use Hailstorm and those who win the coinflip and then their first 2 moves are Spy + Summoning Circle I have no real problem with anyone else :p

The patch has been bad. Even for me, I'd say I enjoy the game a bit less now. But it has added something extraordinary in the form of Moonlight, which has become my primary deck and I can respect that

Αnd no. I don't need money and I don't want to quit. If I am in need, I'll think about it :p

Guest_4248742

I started playing gwent i think last week or so i heard from Vaatividya man this game is awesome .I am shocked and this is coming from a mtg player who recently was searching for something to calm my CG addiction .Gwent is incredible i love the fact that you can end games and rounds in a draw ,the strategies i think this game needs more people asap .Game is super fun i am in love with it .

DRK3

Forum veteran
Also forget to mention - from players who are used to online games where its usually team vs team, and you end up with morons (a.k.a. all the time), its refreshing to come to a game where its just 1 vs 1, and you have responsability for your losses and credit for your wins.

they are all high on fisstech.

seriously though i love gwent for:
1- it's based on a universe and lore that i love and generally i'm very picky about what i like in my life as a whole. witcher and LOTR are the only 2 fantasy universes i like and i hate the rest.
2- it's a unique card game. i was never a CCG fan and gwent is my first and last but by looking around i can tell almost all well known card games are spin offs and clones of hearthstone's mechanic (based on a fantasy world that graphically looks disgustingly outdated and childish btw) which doesn't interest me.
3- its from a respectable gaming company that i have the most respect for. for instance when they put out a buggy patch i skip it until they fix it. ture it sounds like a boycott but that way i tend to forget about their mistakes far quicker.

so as i said i haven't played this patch almost at all which means i'm not addicted to the game but i definitely am attached to it and its lore. so not even 20k can keep me away from it.

Well, I loved Gwent in Witcher 3 and I love it now as a standalone game :) Of course there are times of frustration here and there (like with every other game too), but the fun moments definitely overweight the occasional frustration.

I have been playing since the start of Closed Beta, and this is my first online game. Since emotes are the only way to communicate with our opponents (and even those can be muted if needed), the experience is really pleasant compared to everything that I have heard about online games. I avoided ranked games for a long time, because I'm really not a competitive person, but few patches ago I started playing those too. Mostly for the sake of experiment. And I liked it. At least enough for rank 16 :D

I have taken few short breaks here and there, because the lack of time, but I always come back. What makes Gwent awesome, is that I can take few short and quick matches here and there, or I can spend hours with the game, just experimenting with new ideas and building and trying out different sorts of decks. I don't even have to play matches and I can still have fun. I really do enjoy messing around in Deck Builder and I enjoy seeing that awesome card art.

I think Gwent is really flexible for my needs. If I want to challenge myself, I can go to ranked. If I want to enjoy something beautiful, I can spend time in Deck builder and just hover over the cards, thinking what could be my next target for meteorite powder. If I want to have fun and earn some dailies, I can go to casuals. If I want to go completely bonkers, I can play friend matches with really wacko decks. Or I can just play normal matches with friends.

Holiday events have been really enjoyable and interesting new content. Can't wait to see more of these puzzles! And, of course, at the moment, I'm mostly waiting for Thronebreaker, so that I can hear some good stories again :)

There has been few moments, when constant game changes have been a bit overwhelming, but I have to admit, it keeps the game fresh. Cards and abilities are changing, new content and cards have appeared time to time... Since I don't have the opportunity to play every day, there seems to be something new all the time. There is lots of stuff that I haven't tested yet, but I'm definitely going to try at some point. These tests and experiments are not always that successful, but the fun is in creating and trying something different every time. Sometimes it even works wonders!

And now this is really becoming a wall of text, so sorry about that... But I still have to add something.

It's not only the game itself. I enjoy a lot of watching those developer streams and other videos and Rounds Of Gwent. It's nice to hear the reasoning and small details behind the game. It makes me appreciate the game even more. The amount of work and dedication happening behind the scenes... I really respect that. And the latest settings of Gwent Challenger, that was definitely worth seeing!

So yeah, you can keep the money, I'm continuing with all things Gwent :)

The lore, the art, and the potential are what brings me back. When I first played Gwent in witcher 3 I said this would be awesome if they sold packs with different rate cards.. I was thinking back to magic the gathering and buying packs. The potential here now that Gwent is real is promising it keeps me coming back.

what I hate is net decking there are so many cards that I wish people would run their own decks. Back if you went to a magic tournament there was no net decking probably because no Internet back then. Everybody ran their own deck.

Gwent is the only game I've been playing since I found out it was out. I try to play a little but if everything but get crushed by spies and dwarfs. I refuse to play the same decks. As far as the $5000 goes it depends on the direction the game chooses to go.. I downloaded hearthstone and was so surprised to see that Gwent is having an identity crisis. Not a fan of Gwent stone. I like much of the new update but it needs to feel like gwent. Lore and tactics are going out the window in favor of a simplified clone. I really hope the game finds its way.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10191852 said:
Would you never play Gwent again for $5000?

:rly?:
You're not going to keep me away from the game with money, especially hypothetical money.

-----------------------------

Here are a few things that make GWENT enjoyable to me (in no particular order):
  • the Witcher theme that it's built around/on
  • the beautiful card art
  • visuals in general
  • Shupe (keg smasher and card both)
  • the ability to build all kinds of decks, including completely useless and stupid, but fun ones
  • holiday events and of course the upcoming Thronebreaker
  • being able to play against the AI whenever, also friend matches; to take a break from random opponents
  • updates/bugfixes showing up frequently enough (probably expected in a beta, but still worth mentioning)
  • the strategy element
  • the fact that it can played in multiple languages, even with different picks for text and audio
  • official tournaments are always enjoyable to watch (and learn from)

short answer, it's fun to feel superior.

this game has a good sense of fairness to it once you find your niche - which it allows many different playstyles to do without feeling too unbalanced.

CDPR's gwent team did a great job at making an otherwise easy to monetize f2p game fun to play.

Last edited:
I'm okay with saying that I'm addicted to Gwent. I play it almost every single day. Maybe it's the visuals, I find them very appealing. My favorite part is making a deck that actually works. When all the cards that you worked so hard to get, end up clicking together like a puzzle piece. I'll probably keep playing this game until it is no longer supported by the developers.

Top Bottom