Why is Gwent so poorly run?

+

Guest 4398623

:confused:
That argument makes no sense. This is the company's official forum; why on Earth would they advertise 3rd parties? Not that there'd be any need for ads in the first place; CDPR is doing better than great, just look at numbers.

As someone who has been here since the start of closed beta, I can say that your entire OP is wildly over-exaggerating negative aspects and ignoring positive aspects.

I'm player since beta, too. And I'm agreeing that there are some positive aspects in the last months, but fact is that a lot of mistakes have been made since the release of HC. The devs have shown more than once, that they don't know what they do. I'm not agreeing with every point of his statement, but the most mentioned aspects are correct and have nothing to do with exaggerating.

They do have a lot to do with it, but you're free to disagree.

Prestige 8 still doesn’t work. We still don’t have a date for the next faction challenge. Early info on the next expansion shows obvious power creep issues. The meta hasn’t significantly changed since the new leaders were brought in. Journey is a nerf in overall daily rewards. Trinkets and packs are way overpriced. The devs still don’t answer questions in ask the devs thread. I could go on. These are not exaggerations, these are objective problems. Not even mentioning the 6.2 disaster and the other bugs that followed.

And you're ignoring the reason they stated.

They would have six platforms to manage now, not to mention consoles always were slowing down updates due to the verification process required. Sony especially was a problem from what I remember; their policies must have been why powder couldn't be transferred over though it was possible with Xbox, for example.
I'm not ignoring the reason they stated, I simply don't buy it. They would already know of those challenges before making console versions. So either the team is incompetent and they didn't know of the expected challenges and wasted a bunch of resources to make console versions only to shut them down in a few months. Or (and much more likely) they didn't state the real reason for shutting down the console versions which is probably that they weren't profitable.

Last edited:
Don't you wanna fume at yourself?

This is from the official website:

View attachment 11043908

Since you apparently didn't read it the first time, it says the season ends on June 2nd 10am CEST.

Yes.

Exactly.

And on May 27th this was posted on Twitter:
View attachment 11043911

So, yeah, you got 24 hours longer than was initially announced and somehow you still blame CDPR for not getting there.

But hey, if a missed cardback at which you will get another chance again since the season of the viper will return is a problem in your life you're fuming at then overall things can't be that bad, considering we're all living in a pandemic and all :)
Sorry I didn't see your reply.

Whilst I agree that this isn't the world is ending kind of problem. I had just put money into the game a few days earlier. So I was irritated that I wasted roughly 70 points on that tree, due to their poor communication.

And by the way my point stands about there bad communication practice. As you showed yourself with your screen shots, they only announced the change to the end of the season of the viper on Twitter.

I.e. given that the season didn't end at the time and date I was expecting. I think it was understandable that I believed that the counter represented the actual end of the season of the Viper. As such I unwittingly invested 70+ reward points into a tree I had no realistic chance of unlocking.

So my point stands.
Post automatically merged:

During the season of leaks and reveals to hype us for MM, it never dawned on the devs to explain GUC to us before throwing it into the update? It never occurred to them that further nerfing the daily’s (after the journey nerf killed the partial rewards,) might alienate the player base. It never occurred to them, that adding 3 additional wins per day as well as 4 extra weekly tasks (some of them requiring new legendary cards,) just to keep pace with the prior system might turn off current and prospective players? Why is Gwent so poorly run?

Oh and to make matters worse. When they finally do explain GUC, [...]. While it is true that the new system slightly surpassed the daily’s, when you eliminate faction challenge bonuses from the typical month (15 the last 3 months plus between 7-9 for daily quests,) you actually get an average of 12-14 less per month with the new system.

Last edited by a moderator:
lf gwent were a less bugged more balanced, and better run game, would it be doing significantly better than it is now?

What a loaded question. "Hey, if the world didn't have problems, wouldn't it be a better place?"
No s*** it would xD

As you've already admitted, you have no idea on gwents financials and actual performance, and yet are throwing around words like mismanagement and failure. At the same time demanding that we give you those facts. Sure one sec, let me just pull gwents financial statements out of my a.. that I hid away

Every game, especially a pvp-centric game, is going to have issues. But communication can be improved, bugs can be fixed...the resource reward nerf can be unnerfed (cdpr pls lol)

And why are you basing your criteria for a games success on whether their website has 3rd party ads? That made me laugh ngl

I don't know about the financial situation of this game, but I have to agree with a lot of points specified here by other players. The reward system was nerfed, and this will make it especially hard for new players to progress. It is as if the developers don't know that the game is essentially a niche one. Someone needs to have time and passion to actually stick with it. Adding to that a complicated reward/progression system and pointless incentives to buy extra content in order to progress will make new players reconsider playing the game.

As for support, don't know yet. I sent a request 2 days ago regarding 10-12 lost kegs after MM expansion went live but haven't heard back. Don't even know if they received the query. They should think about making an automatic message just to confirm that the request was registered, just to reassure the customer. I still hope I can get at least some of the kegs back, or any update regarding what happened to them.

What a loaded question. "Hey, if the world didn't have problems, wouldn't it be a better place?"
No s*** it would xD

As you've already admitted, you have no idea on gwents financials and actual performance, and yet are throwing around words like mismanagement and failure. At the same time demanding that we give you those facts. Sure one sec, let me just pull gwents financial statements out of my a.. that I hid away

Every game, especially a pvp-centric game, is going to have issues. But communication can be improved, bugs can be fixed...the resource reward nerf can be unnerfed (cdpr pls lol)

And why are you basing your criteria for a games success on whether their website has 3rd party ads? That made me laugh ngl

The third party advertising was a suggestion to raise additional revenue. You don’t agree with it so be it. As for the rest of your post,

1. I demand nothing, I don’t have subpoena power. This is an opinion thread with plenty of evidence and history to support the opinion. Your response even admits in part that the nerf to rewards is mismanagement by suggesting it needs fixing. The communication which can improve hasn’t. They just did another massive change to the daily system without more than a 2 second hint in a video and an oh by the way post when everyone is confused by the sudden and dramatic shift. The ask devs thread is still silent, and the leaks were anything but interactive (no taking of player questions before the stream to answer in the video.

2. The minor issues are persistent. Every update has major flaws. The 6.2 which my post was based on crippled the game so badly they had to rush a patch just to make it playable. 7.0 has plenty of flaw too including a multi hour shutdown of the keg buying during day 1 of the new expansion. The metric isn’t whether the game is dead or alive, it is whether a better dev team could be doing better with player base and revenue. Talk to the people who have been around since beta, see how many of them agree with me and how many agree with you. I was here since beta came to PS4, and the quality of the game has gone way down.

3. I don’t need financial data on CDPR or Gwent sub division to know the devs are bad at their job.

I don’t need financial data on CDPR or Gwent sub division to know the devs are bad at their job.

I think this line perfectly sums up this post. You aren't interested in facts or figures that multiple others have posted, you just know the devs are bad at their job through your infinite ' on and off since beta' wisdom that you found from under a waterfall i guess.

Alot of people, myself included, agree there are flaws. I think the resource nerf sucks (can't even get 10 rp without busting my ass off) so yeah they should fix that. Doesn't mean the game has 'failed' imo.

I think this line perfectly sums up this post. You aren't interested in facts or figures that multiple others have posted, you just know the devs are bad at their job through your infinite ' on and off since beta' wisdom that you found from under a waterfall i guess.

Alot of people, myself included, agree there are flaws. I think the resource nerf sucks (can't even get 10 rp without busting my ass off) so yeah they should fix that. Doesn't mean the game has 'failed' imo.

Again you misunderstand the premise and conclusion. The premise is that the game could be doing better with a larger player base if it wasn’t mismanaged. You agree on various forms of mismanagement, but disagree about the degree to which the game is harmed. If you think Gwent is well run and have facts and figure to present this is a good place to do so.

To add an additional example of Gwent being poorly run, consider the decisions behind Gaunter's Ultimate Challenge. To complete the 4th challenge, you need a specific legendary card which no one had before the Master Mirror release. So, in order to get this card, one basically needs to keep purchasing older keg sets to get card pieces to craft the needed legendary instead of using gold on Master Mirror kegs that are full of new cards. The challenge effectively limits the adoption of new cards. That is just horrendous decision making.

Also, it's pretty obvious what should have been done - give one legendary card from a chosen fraction to each player and then players are incentivized to buy more Master Mirror kegs to support a deck that highlights that legendary card (this might even get F2P players to purchase a couple kegs with real money). This is collective card games 101. So yeah, it is being extremely poorly managed.

Again you misunderstand the premise and conclusion. The premise is that the game could be doing better with a larger player base if it wasn’t mismanaged. You agree on various forms of mismanagement, but disagree about the degree to which the game is harmed. If you think Gwent is well run and have facts and figure to present this is a good place to do so.

Likewise if you think it's failing and so mismanaged feel free to present the financials on which this conclusion was arrived at so we can see this massive impact that you claim is happening since beta.

Otherwise making a topic and listing every mistake the company has ever made doesn't get us anywhere. People make mistakes. Cdpr will make mistakes in the future too you can be sure of that. I look forward to seeing your next rant then too. Cheers.

Likewise if you think it's failing and so mismanaged feel free to present the financials on which this conclusion was arrived at so we can see this massive impact that you claim is happening since beta.

Otherwise making a topic and listing every mistake the company has ever made doesn't get us anywhere. People make mistakes. Cdpr will make mistakes in the future too you can be sure of that. I look forward to seeing your next rant then too. Cheers.

Your continued misrepresentation of my argument leads me to believe it is deliberate. Saying a company can only be poorly run if it is bankrupt is like saying a person is only sick if they are dying. False equivalence is not getting you anywhere. The mistakes as you call them are never corrected. They continue to make massive changes to the games fundamental systems without discussion or even proper explanation to the player base. I could continue listing them and rehashing my prior argument but this not a good use of my time. You are simply incapable of presenting a single argument as to why the game is properly run, thus I have nothing to specifically address or refute. The people who have been around since the beginning tend to agree the game is poorly run. On what basis are you arguing that it is properly run other than it still existing?

"Contracts" as example of poor gamedev

Please try to understand that I'm spamming this tread not for the sake of ranting, but because it subtly shadows a much bigger issue with Gwent game development.

I can understand how issues take time to address, but if they take THIS MUCH time (close to a year now), it is now just to complain how the situation with contracts is un-apologetically underwhelming and blatantly incompetent.

There are problems galore; some examples:

"Thrall" contract (trigger "veteran" keyword) still not progressing after being a known issue for entire MONTH. You introduced it with MM expansion but it has never worked, and you can't even get it to work.
"Conspiracy" contract not triggering while deathblowing a spying unit.
"Reach stage 3 with evolving card" counts freaking everything in their mother, except the actual evolving card (I had it triggering on Amnesty, playing Fergus var Emreis, random Wild Hunt units, moving shit with Drowner, occasional Ygern and so many more that it's ridiculous).

Neutral and special cards from new expansions NOT counting towards daily and seasonal tree quests (like play X amount of specials / artifacts or play a certain tag - spell / bomb). This has been around since the first CC expansion. Seriously CDPR?

Some contracts do not show up in any filtered section and remain invisible unless you KNOW to specifically search for them keywords. People missing out on contracts of wins with "were-rat" leader abilities, because those contracts were added a whole month later.

Syndicate ability arena contract for 500 wins gives 1 RP instead of 3 (or 5) for all other factions. And why is it 3 RP after all? Dumping 500 games takes a TON of time and all other similar quests give 7 RP in regular sections. This goes in line with inconsistent wording - like "complete X quests for Syndicate during this challenge". Like wtf, what challenge? Did the person who wrote this not understand that there will be more than 1 Syndicate faction challenge? Or no? Was it too hard to look up how the previous contracts were worded? How many different people used to do it, ten?

The list goes freaking on and on.

And now think that this is a freaking simple TEXT fix. Changing some god damn numbers / letters in XML table. Not introducing new mechanics or Arena cosmetic selection screen (long overdue, hellooo) which requires extra design and coding. What is the actual heck?

Mr. Slama, dev team, why? What is the reason for such sloppy work?

Dislike all you want. This is rightful criticism and denying the obvious facts won't change the reality.

P.S. And if you say that devs have “other higher priorities”, than remember that the rest of the patch, actually EVERY god damn patch, is also a bloody buggy mess. Remember assimilate triggering on every card played? Or other actually important stuff that's not getting fixed for months? So get lost with that argument. I am bringing contracts as an example how this awful state of game dev is getting out of hand. HOWEVER, unlike the rest, "Contracts" are a five minute fix, but its still not getting done. Bravo.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: QLK
Top Bottom