Why is my V pretty much forced to hate Arasaka?

+
I mean, well we can work with them but ....it's always implied that it's a last resort (hell the game describe it as a capitulation).
All throughout the game, it's implied that V hates Arasaka without asking me (the player who should be able to define the character I play) his opinion.
Even if I take the corpo lifepath (which means i SHOULD be somewhat favorable to them) Jackie describe it right away as a "pacto con el diablo" (why? because it leads me to kill people? Sure, because killing people for Saka and killing them because a fixer paid you for that is TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS, thanks Jackie) without any possibility for me to rebuke that, only offering justification for making this pact.

Then, it's our first meeting with De Shawn, which i have the choice between being afraid or sounding like an forceful anti-corpo guy, nothing along the line of "I don't care, today i hit arasaka, tommorow maybe i'll work for them" which is ....pretty much the basic thoughts of any mercenary.
And it continues so on, and so on, we are pretty much forced to be reticent with Takemura's offers, and I don't want to spoil the endings but the game is pretty much yelling at us that Corpo is bad all the long.

Problem is : not only the game don't let me shape the opinions of my V as I intend to, but it never gives me any meaningful reasons to hate corpos in general ans Arasaka especially. Yelling CORPO ARE EVIL like Silverhand do is not a reason, it's just an annoying way to try to railroad me into a particular way of thinking. Am I supposed to be mad because they threw me out of my lifepath? Well...i was about to do a hitljob on the intelligence operations director remember? The one i was mad about is Jenkins, and maybe the guys who thought that putting such a moron in charge of counter intelligence was a clever move. I absolutely don't get why I should hate Arasaka and why the game don't let my V have is own opinion about that in spite of this forced hostility.

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear to me that, once they got Keanu on board as Silverhand, they sort of lost interest in making an RPG about V, and more interesting in making a story that maximizes Johnny.
So they should have made an adventure game like far cry with Johnny/Keanu as a fixed character returning from night city to wage war against corpos if they were so interested in that.

They writers just want you to give Johnny your body. The try to railroad you the hole game to this ending. And they do it, because it is Keanu. Don't get me wrong, i like him as a person and actor, but in no fucking way, will i surrender to a mass murdering terrorist. There is no redemption for terrorists, murderers or pedos. They all lost the right to be treated as humans.
Period.
Those monsters deserve to die in agony, nothing more, nothing less.
That is, why for me, there is only one acceptable ending if i would still play the game.
They want you to think that Arasaka are the bad ones. Arasaka has the Tech to save V, but the game is not about V it's all about Johnny, your number one terrorist. Besides, original V is already dead after the Heist.
The story is just not good. After the Heist, it should only be Johnny, with that i could have get along. But as it stands now, there is no reason to play the game anymore. Atleast for me.

cl656

Forum regular
In short, they wouldn't. Why? "You can take the rat out of the corpo, but you can't take the corpo out of the rat" as the game states. Even though V falls from grace, in the end, they are a corpo, and will always be one. To me, a corpo's reaction to events, would be to get even with those that fucked them over, and to use Araska's death, and the alliance with Takemora and Hanoko as a means to elevate themselves again, rather than just giving it all up like you do in game.

Corpos to me, are the alphas/matriachs of the city. They have to be, in order to survive.

Arisaka is the company corpo V worked for, and fked u over.
Thru their (and your) actions it led to the biochip and your best friend dying.

At the end of the game tho during the convo with princess, you can ask to go back and work with them. Tho johnny doesn't like that idea.

They writers just want you to give Johnny your body. The try to railroad you the hole game to this ending. And they do it, because it is Keanu. Don't get me wrong, i like him as a person and actor, but in no fucking way, will i surrender to a mass murdering terrorist. There is no redemption for terrorists, murderers or pedos. They all lost the right to be treated as humans.
Period.
Those monsters deserve to die in agony, nothing more, nothing less.
That is, why for me, there is only one acceptable ending if i would still play the game.
They want you to think that Arasaka are the bad ones. Arasaka has the Tech to save V, but the game is not about V it's all about Johnny, your number one terrorist. Besides, original V is already dead after the Heist.
The story is just not good. After the Heist, it should only be Johnny, with that i could have get along. But as it stands now, there is no reason to play the game anymore. Atleast for me.
That, the game basically asks us to cheer at a terrorist and help him being a terrorist again, because "corpo are Evilz".

Though if i remeber the lore, the bombing at arasaka was done on behalf of militech during the corp war but the game seems to conveniently forget that (because otherwise the anti-corpo rant of Jhonny would be hypocrisy at its best) and revert it to basic anti corpo terrorism.

Damm the writers managed to contradict their own lore.

In short, they wouldn't. Why? "You can take the rat out of the corpo, but you can't take the corpo out of the rat" as the game states. Even though V falls from grace, in the end, they are a corpo, and will always be one. To me, a corpo's reaction to events, would be to get even with those that fucked them over, and to use Araska's death, and the alliance with Takemora and Hanoko as a means to elevate themselves again, rather than just giving it all up like you do in game.

Corpos to me, are the alphas/matriachs of the city. They have to be, in order to survive.

TBH, at the end, when Takemura spoke about how it would be hard to find a body matchingwith my mind i was like screaming "CLONE ME GODDAMIT". Clone me, put my mind in that new body and make me in charge of all arasaka intelligence. But no. Forced idiocy and forced silly remarks about how the Arasaka family are weirdos.

Arisaka is the company corpo V worked for, and fked u over.
Thru their (and your) actions it led to the biochip and your best friend dying.

At the end of the game tho during the convo with princess, you can ask to go back and work with them. Tho johnny doesn't like that idea.

I don't interpret my demise as them fucking me over. My stupid boss gave me an illegal hijob because in his limited mind he could not think of anything else to climb up in the hierarchy. I (forcefully) said yes but he was already on watchlist and probably had all this intel on the girl because she wanted him to make his move. If anything, V should blame his for his stupidity and himself for not immediately went for Abernathy saying "my stupid boss gave me a silly hitjob on you, I can testify, termiate him and put me in his place".

V states that she didn't like the life, but yeah I agree with the second poster.
I do like Reeves, and silverhand is "ok"...They clearly wanted to make reeves the posterchild of this game since he was used so heavily as a marketing ploy. You should definitely be able to go back to being a corpo is not in the story, at least in the endgame. But naahhh, you spend the entire game being a figment of Silverhand.

I like Reeves as an actor but he was really badly used in this content, I see much people don't like Silverhand but I actually enjoy his company when he show up. Should had done an expansion where he is your sidekick/antagonist/ally not just a bizarre schizophrenic brain tumor, whoever in leadership didn't have the sight for this should be slapped, because an expansion with Keanu would help with player retention and save resources from the base game using the content that was developed without the need of sacrificing stuff.

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear to me that, once they got Keanu on board as Silverhand, they sort of lost interest in making an RPG about V, and more interesting in making a story that maximizes Johnny.
Sad but true. I like Keanu a lot but I wanted a role playing game. Not an interactive movie with Keanu Reeves in it.
download (17).jpg

rpg needs also a script guys.why in other games you need do that or that even if you dont want do that like in every game.guys stop beeing sillly

The Witcher, with Geralt as predefined character, had way more player agency than Cyberpunk. Expecially the first game.

It's a such a disappointment, and considering the galssdoor rewiev posted on reddit, it's clear many in CDPR aren't interested in making role playing games

I don't personally see V as "hating" Arasaka. In my game V is pretty indifferent, apart from Arasaka obviously being a big threat.

I think you can choose your opinion in dialog pretty well in this game, whenever that is applicable (could be more examples of it). However, I would've wanted a bit bigger contact with corps in general. Do work also for corps, and not just gangs, you know? I haven't yet progressed in main story enough to meet Hanako, maybe my opinion changes but I doubt it.

Johnny though? He does hate Arasaka's guts.

TBH, at the end, when Takemura spoke about how it would be hard to find a body matchingwith my mind i was like screaming "CLONE ME GODDAMIT". Clone me, put my mind in that new body and make me in charge of all arasaka intelligence.

IKR? During the end mission i was half expecting to be rewarded by Arasaka by making me head of intelligence/security replacing Abernathy. Would be a perfect and satisfying end for my Corpo V, to replace the one responsible for you getting fired in the first place.

God those endings are such missed opportunities, UGH!

Though if i remeber the lore, the bombing at arasaka was done on behalf of militech during the corp war but the game seems to conveniently forget that (because otherwise the anti-corpo rant of Jhonny would be hypocrisy at its best) and revert it to basic anti corpo terrorism.

In the lore nobody really knows who set the bomb off. At least in all the lore before Cyberpunk Red. In Cyberpunk Red it confirms Johnny and his team detonates the bomb but due to resistance from Arasaka and Adam Smasher the bomb goes off on the 12th floor over 300 meters above ground instead of under the tower in a heavily shielded room. This is why the bomb kills over 500k people. Yes, he is a terrorist and has a very 2 dimensional attitude towards corpos but the lore is correct.

But I dislike the ending to the game anyway and just hope DLC adds more because it does feel like the quest designers got lazy towards the end and much more possibilities could have been explored.

IKR? During the end mission i was half expecting to be rewarded by Arasaka by making me head of intelligence/security replacing Abernathy. Would be a perfect and satisfying end for my Corpo V, to replace the one responsible for you getting fired in the first place.

God those endings are such missed opportunities, UGH!

You would think right?
I mean you only worked there before
got set up
then saved Hanako's ass. God forbid we just get sent back to a checkpoi....wait

In the lore nobody really knows who set the bomb off. At least in all the lore before Cyberpunk Red. In Cyberpunk Red it confirms Johnny and his team detonates the bomb but due to resistance from Arasaka and Adam Smasher the bomb goes off on the 12th floor over 300 meters above ground instead of under the tower in a heavily shielded room. This is why the bomb kills over 500k people. Yes, he is a terrorist and has a very 2 dimensional attitude towards corpos but the lore is correct.

But I dislike the ending to the game anyway and just hope DLC adds more because it does feel like the quest designers got lazy towards the end and much more possibilities could have been explored.
To be honest hope the DLC expansion just move on from V story, because the ending basically tainted it.

Top Bottom