Why is Oakcritters a Devotion card?

+

valcat

Forum regular
Oakcritters offers no advantage over Scoia'tael cards like Panther and Dryad Enchantress, yet for some reason it requires Devotion to get the most out of it. Let's compare the three cards:
Oakcritters.jpg

Panther gives you 1 less power but +1 bleeding duration. You could argue Panther is a better card because Bleeding (3) is unlikely to to destroy a unit, while bleeding (4) might sometimes get rid of a unit with a nasty effect. It also gives you a choice to deal 2 damage instantly instead, which might be better on rare situations.
Dryad Enchantress has more synergy with other Scoia'tael cards (Hamadryad, Mahakam Defender) and also has the useful Dryad tag (empowers Dryad's Caress for example). It also gives you a choice between Vitality and Armor, making it overall a better card.
Oakcritters takes two unit spots on a row despite being a Treant, which is a disadvantage if you use a Treant Symbiosis deck (rows fill up real quick with these decks). The only advantage the Treant tag offers is that if you use Nature's Rebuke, and you kill an enemy with it, and you have no Treants on the board but you do have an Oakcritter on the board... It gets +2 power. That's a very unlikely scenario which only happened to me once in 30~50 games. The Dryad tag interacts with more cards (Dryad Grovekeeper, Freixenet, Dryad's Caress), which makes Oakencritters an overall worse 4 provision Scoia'tael card despite requiring Devotion to fully unlock it's mediocre power.
This is of course a small issue in the grand scheme of things. But still I suggest increasing Oakcritters' Bleeding duration to 4 turns, or releasing a future card that has a strong synergy with Treants.

valcat

Forum regular
Because Oakcritters came in Master Mirror expansion, which introduced devotion, and when conditional 7 for 4 was considered really strong. So strong that it required extra condition, i.e. devotion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Panther is a base set card and Dryad Enchantress is an Iron Judgment, which both predate the Master Mirror expansion?
If I'm wrong about that (which is possible) it still amounts to an answer of 'the card is bad because it's old'. Old cards still see beneficial updates during patches sometimes so I'll stick with my suggestion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Panther is a base set card and Dryad Enchantress is an Iron Judgment, which both predate the Master Mirror expansion?
If I'm wrong about that (which is possible) it still amounts to an answer of 'the card is bad because it's old'. Old cards still see beneficial updates during patches sometimes so I'll stick with my suggestion.
Pretty sure Enchantress and Panther got changed a couple of times after Iron Judgment. Critters probably need an update too, but so do A LOT of cards, especially bronzes. I really don't understand what holds the devs back from buffing more cards at once.

Well i think the "normal" its all the factions have a 4p card that generate 7 points in devotion.

Mo has it
SY has it
NR has it

Cant remember right know if NG and SK also has it, but problably.

So its not the problem to Oakcritter, but the problem is now we have other 4p cards that generate 7p and doenst need devotion

Like Philido wrote, they received various reworks since then. And I don't disagree that Oakcritters are due some proper buff, but it'll take time, since there's still a lot of older cards that need buff first.
Post automatically merged:

Cant remember right know if NG and SK also has it, but problably.
SK got Tuirseach Invader (7 for 4 in third round) and NG got Angry Mob (7 for 4 with conspiracy).

They just keep making stronger and stronger cards.
For example the new "Lesser Witches" - 2 of those are 15 instant points (in 2 turns) VS for example Mahakam Marauders (classic example of bonded units) which are 14 points over 5 turns. - Clear and painful to see power creep.
Also their non-bonded ability isn't at all useless, it lets you set up your Mammuna more easily since it provides you with a target in your graveyard!
We all dislike powercreep but they keep on putting more and more of it in.

Top Bottom