Why is there so much cut content? [Possible Spoilers]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one am enjoying this myth of 'Cut Content'. The implication being that these things were in the game until recently, but somehow removed when the reality is, game design is an iterative process and it's standard operating procedure for things to change as a project evolves. Things that might have been talked about years ago existed in possibility space, but invariably didn't pan out as the project progressed for a myriad numbrer of reasons.

Will there be updates? Absolutely. Will we get more customisation options? Undoubtedly. However right now having just released the stability patch with 1.1, and the emphasis on 1.2 being major bug fixes (including the AI which everyone goes on about )it's only after that will we start to see the QoL improvements people are after, as well as the DLC.

If you're getting antsy about these things, the best advice is to play something else for now because realistically, you're not likely to start seeing notable updates until March/April at the earliest.

Did they make a statement about AI being in 1.2? I would think they're just going to focus on getting the game back on the PSN store rather than deal with something more difficult that yields less returns. People didn't drop the game on consoles because of poor AI, it's because it can barely run in many cases.

As for cut content and iteration; this is largely true. Problem is they bragged about features months, some just weeks, ahead of release. Much of what was cut was likely due to necessity. That this game runs relatively well, outside of being broken and unfinished, is still a technical achievement. There is some very ambitious stuff here. Hundreds of detailed NPCs, cars, sidewalks littered with refuse, dozens of area lights and thousands of decals, volumetric lighting with ray marched clouds on screen and then topping this off with an underground railroad and elevated transit that's believably populated and interactive? That's a tall order. I'd bet they tried and couldn't get it to work. What we have right now is literally the best they could do.

uhh What about what takamura prefers?
also, do you think every one shares your opinion?

What do you mean "what he prefers?". That is subject to how the character is written. Maybe he is bi, I don't care. There's this bonding that is unresolved... It doesn't have to be about physical intimacy or even deeply emotional... he could even just tell you that he cares about you after getting to know you and would like to show you Japan after he gets his revenge. The point is the relationship built through your experiences should have some more impact on the ending and future content other than "rot in hell" or just saying "seeya, we'll get some food later" and sending you to mikoshi. If they didn't want that then they shouldn't have had the ability to bond with him throughout the game. They should have picked one or the other.

I think most of the people playing this game agree with me, sorry
Post automatically merged:

Didn't understand the sexist? Because Takemura is older?
Yes

Last edited:
Anybody know of a comprehensive list of cut-content?

I keep reading this statement but not sure what it really means.

Most of the time developing and hyping a video game is a balance between getting the attention of the player base while regulating expectations relative to what the game is going to be capable of. You normally go about this by first coming up with a game then coming up with what's in the game then doing a little bit of coding about it and seeing if it works. then once you got about half of something you start telling fans. But in this instance the exact opposite happened. They told all the fans all the cool stuff that they promised was going to be in there and then turned and looked at the development team and said " make the magic happen don't worry we made The Witcher 3 what could go wrong?" So here we. CD projekt Red up until now only had one franchise to their name and The Witcher 3 was released quite a while ago so I get the feeling they just thought this game was taking too long saw that pre-order cash sitting in transit and decided to cut and run.

They have multiple DLC coming up, at least 2 this year that are supposed released. The game just released, let the dlc come out before complaining about cut content. It's probably all there.
Let's just hope they add additional meaningful content in the game thru DLC.
Expansions, I have no doubt will be big.
But the free DLCs might just be additional hair styles, alternative looks etc.

Let's just hope they add additional meaningful content in the game thru DLC.
Expansions, I have no doubt will be big.
But the free DLCs might just be additional hair styles, alternative looks etc.
Exactly. I want the perks of customization options but there is no point if the story remains full of holes

Come on!

Don't lie to us about how finished the game was and just performance issues and bugs where a problem.

Why is there so much cut content lying around in this game?

If the game was truly finished and not rushed, why didn't you bother to clean it properly up and remove the remnants of old but abandon concepts and give us a polished product?

If you truly stand for honesty and integrity, please give us peace of mind and be honest with us.

What's going on?
Captialist greed over taking art.

The video also says "work in progress, things may change" in it, and the announcer mentions it.
It said "work in progress does not present the final look of the game"
Look is graphics, imho. After the sh*torm with W3 not so uncommon. But it doesn't represent content itself. Look/graphics is almost the only thing that didn't change...
So I hope the narrator said that gameplay could get cut big time, that the car-race was scripted etc.

What do you mean "what he prefers?". That is subject to how the character is written. Maybe he is bi, I don't care. There's this bonding that is unresolved... It doesn't have to be about physical intimacy or even deeply emotional... he could even just tell you that he cares about you after getting to know you and would like to show you Japan after he gets his revenge. The point is the relationship built through your experiences should have some more impact on the ending and future content other than "rot in hell" or just saying "seeya, we'll get some food later" and sending you to mikoshi. If they didn't want that then they shouldn't have had the ability to bond with him throughout the game. They should have picked one or the other.

I think most of the people playing this game agree with me, sorry

Yes

Ok, good writing the characters are written to be consistent with themselves, not simply to give the reader/player/charachter what they want.
You are the one who said it was about romance and knowing what females want, but if its not about romance, and you are saying they needed more payoff, for the relationship they developed, Might be true, he was dead when I did corpo ending, but I would consider that he is not an emotionally effusive character, he is a bit tough and stoic, I can't imagine the character crying over V or saying more than you were a true friend (which he did say earlier in the game) Also he shows up and gives V support and advice.

Its also possible that the corporation is his first loyalty so his loyalty to V is second to towing the company line

Ok, good writing the characters are written to be consistent with themselves, not simply to give the reader/player/charachter what they want.
You are the one who said it was about romance and knowing what females want, but if its not about romance, and you are saying they needed more payoff, for the relationship they developed, Might be true, he was dead when I did corpo ending, but I would consider that he is not an emotionally effusive character, he is a bit tough and stoic, I can't imagine the character crying over V or saying more than you were a true friend (which he did say earlier in the game) Also he shows up and gives V support and advice.

Its also possible that the corporation is his first loyalty so his loyalty to V is second to towing the company line

He doesn't have to be open with emotions to be emotional. In fact he shares things with you like his poems and stories. And that's why this bothers me. If they didn't want the bond there, then why would they put the content into the story. That is the definition of inconsistency, that's my point. They need to complete what is already there.

I think your last part is absolutely correct, but they should have some more dialogue surrounding it if you can't convince him to leave the Arasakas (which I'm not even sure why you can't)

It said "work in progress does not present the final look of the game"
Look is graphics, imho. After the sh*torm with W3 not so uncommon. But it doesn't represent content itself. Look/graphics is almost the only thing that didn't change...
So I hope the narrator said that gameplay could get cut big time, that the car-race was scripted etc.
the announcer straight up says, remember these features are in development and may change when showing monowire and quick hacking. In this case look is not just appearances, but rather that this look into the gameplay may change

"Just a reminder, everything you've seen and are about to see, including this particular feature we're about to show you, is from a work in progress version of the game, and may change over the course of development."

this makes it not debatable whether they meant graphics or everything, including features. Nobody lied here.

He doesn't have to be open with emotions to be emotional. In fact he shares things with you like his poems and stories. And that's why this bothers me. If they didn't want the bond there, then why would they put the content into the story. That is the definition of inconsistency, that's my point. They need to complete what is already there.

I think your last part is absolutely correct, but they should have some more dialogue surrounding it if you can't convince him to leave the Arasakas (which I'm not even sure why you can't)

that might make sense, if you choose the leave arasaka ending, but wouldn't that be even worse? for him to actually say sorry V but Arasaka always comes first?

that might make sense, if you choose the leave arasaka ending, but wouldn't that be even worse? for him to actually say sorry V but Arasaka always comes first?

Because that would be no different than if you did not do the texts and extra dialogue with him. They should add something more for those that kept up the personal dialogue with him. Otherwise it's meaningless. It may be more sad for V but it would be at least closure to the story.

Captialist greed over taking art.
The game was originally supposed to debut 2019. So it was not rushed out of the door to please the 'greedy investors'.
CDPR took several loans to finance Cyberpunk 2077 development and debts must be repaid. If it feels rushed it's only because CDPR failed to laid out a well fleshed roadmap, because -apparently- the game was 'rebooted' a couple of times and because they couldn't define priorities and scope so to approach the deadline (2019 or 2020) with a well fleshed out game.

Don't blame investors. they were promised a vision and product, same as us gamers, and they were expecting to see the money they lent being put to good use.

Last edited:
Exactly. I want the perks of customization options but there is no point if the story remains full of holes
It would be wise for them to use the free DLC platform to give us some of the cut content the community is so upset about. But I fear you may be right about free DLC.

It would be wise for them to use the free DLC platform to give us some of the cut content the community is so upset about. But I fear you may be right about free DLC.

How so?

It would be preferable, sure. I suppose having extra apartments
when you're just going to die anyway, no matter which ending path you chose
makes sense. It sounds nice to imagine the game will someday be like what everyone thought it would be per 2018 reveal, but I'm not sure how wise it would be when this is the culmination of X number of year pre-production, X number of year production, coupled with an allegedly absurd marketing campaign budget.

What missing content are you looking for and how much more of the game will they have to rip out and shuffle around to make it work?

Did they make a statement about AI being in 1.2? I would think they're just going to focus on getting the game back on the PSN store rather than deal with something more difficult that yields less returns. People didn't drop the game on consoles because of poor AI, it's because it can barely run in many cases.

They talked about the AI pathing being a bug, and as 1.2 is the big bug fix it makes sense that they will address it. Esp given its prominence in many critics eyes. It's more of a distraction that eats away at immersion than anything else versus game-breaking, but I would envisage getting it rectified would go some way to demonstrating that CDP is fixing things. Esp after 1.1 didn't fix a lot of things outwardly versus address stability and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom