Why is Witcher 3 in Russia cheaper on GOG?

+
@jerf
Lowering the price of games in markets where avarage income is lower, actually increases the money you make from those games, because they are no longer seen as a premium product.
Exactly. I can confirm that the most of the gamers in Russia aren't ready to pay $60 for a single-player game, even the game like TW3 (I'm personally not including in this group of gamers). It's like a 1/10 or even bigger part of monthly wage in the average provincial town. At the far regions and CIS situation even worse, much worse.
In last years financial situation slowly coming slightly better in Russia, but psychological barrier for this kind of expenses is still present for most of people.
So, price reducing is a really smart move for Steam and GOG.

Because it is more efficient. Lets just say that if the game would cost 50 bucks there it would make much less money.

Sure. But they should install region locks imo.

Steam has a region locks for most of AAA-games, including Witcher 2. GOG is still under development, so will see. It's really a choice of lesser evil for GOG: no-DRM, no-locks at all and a full price with low sales or region lock, reduced price and high sales in CIS. Currently they are avoided both extremities but with financial losses. Hoping that I'm wrong about that.

I live in Ukraine, and it's 14.58$ +cost for exchange +cost for using services and so on ~16$
And do you want to know how much I earn?
300$ month salary, and it's medium range in my town.
Prices are so low because people in former USSR countries are poor and cannot pay more.
Is it so hard to grasp?

Thats mega cheap.

I bought The Witcher 3 on steam pre-order for £35 and the collector's edition from Amazon for £130.

The Witcher 3 has set me back £165, the most I've ever spent on a game.

Prices are so low because people in former USSR countries are poor and cannot pay more.
Is it so hard to grasp?
Please read the intital post in ths thread before making such statements. This thread was never about what you imply....

It's 32 euros for me (with the loyalty discount) in Hungary, which is about the price of the retail version of most AAA games here, so it's still a good deal. For example on Steam, new games are always ridiculously pricey here (most of the games costs 60 euros so it's about double the price).

However, this time it seems the retail version (which I pre-ordered) is more expensive than usual - means around 42 euros. I don't know why because knowing CDPR, I expected it to be lower (although I can't complain, it comes with a shitload of goodies for a standard edition (+ retailer bonuses).

Last edited:
Sadly the choice is not GOG's alone. They have partners. Of the demand-making kind.

I get annoyed every time I see that €59.99 price.
Still not "moving" to Russia though.

Sure, but wasn't global pricing part of GOG's PR strategy as well? ;)

What's your point exactly? The community feedback was overwhelmingly negative when they made that change, so much so that they had to backpedal quite a bit. Dropping yet more policies is a terrible idea. Two wrongs don't make a right.

What's your point exactly? The community feedback was overwhelmingly negative when they made that change, so much so that they had to backpedal quite a bit. Dropping yet more policies is a terrible idea. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Well, personally, I think this whole anti-DRM policy is pointless and overrated but anyway...I got the picture.

It's still kind of sad that people in rich countries can easily get the game for 15$ or less... :-

Well, personally, I think this whole anti-DRM policy is pointless and overrated but anyway...I got the picture.

It's still kind of sad that people in rich countries can easily get the game for 15$ or less... :-
Here in Brazil games are normally 120 reais on steam and 200 on some game stores. Remember we were the country that had the most expensive PS4 as well.
Btw should i buy from Steam or GOG?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Brazil games are normally 120 reais on steam and 200 on some game stores. Remember we were the country that had the most expensive PS4 as well.
Btw should i buy from Steam or GOG?

If you buy from GOG, you directly support CDPR as GOG is their project as well. You get several bonuses as well which you may not get from Steam. Also it is noted that there will be more bonuses to come besides the ones noted.

http://www.gog.com/thewitcher3/en

If you buy from Steam, you can unlock achievements on steam and craft badges.

Personally, i will buy from Gog. Maybe when prices fall down, i will get one copy on steam as well. I'd suggest you the same for the sake of CDPR but of course it depends on which you consider better for yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom