Why Many Players Not Giving GG

+
Luckily, most players do play honorably and well.

After they removed the special cards decks (which I never GG'ed) there are relatively few issues with the game. I also GG when I get annoyed/angry that I lost a game, which rarely happens but is worth mentioning.

This is totally not in the appropriate forum but for some reason I need 10 posts to create elsewhere, so it is what it is

I am curious about players using the GG function. Since reaching rank 20 I have had very few players hit it in return, and the past 10 games (win or lose) no one has used it. Is this a combination of Ego and bitter salts OR, my thinking (being as I try to think the best of people), does it just not matter at a certain rank?

Any feedback is appreciated

Really weird not getting GG so many matches in a row. Usually only happens if there's an extremely toxic deck that dominates the meta and everyone not using it hates it (i know Usurper had a few of those, or Damien decks on Wild Hunt seasonal mode)

I ragequit all the time against netdeckers because i dont want to play them if they are no different than the other 50 guys doing exactly the same - and yet most give me the GG, its something automatic for most players, they do it regardless of what happens, they devoid GG of what its supposed to mean (good game i believe... so rare these days)

@Sumgee Moved to General.

There are many reasons why players may not send a GG. For example: they may not like the deck(s) you're playing (some do only send a "good game" if it really was a good game), they may forget, they may not even know what the button is for (it's not terribly obvious and I don't know if the current tutorial explains it).

There might be many reasons for giving GG but there is less reasons not to give it. And the main reason why people don't GG is because they did not consider it a GG.

There's other reasons sure, but I doubt those other reasons make up the higher percentage of the why people don't GG.

Last edited:
Me:

1) A good game

2) A close or competitive game

3) Humorous: e.g. when my opponent abandons the game before we've even started

4) Encouragement. I might have won easily, but I'm just trying to comfort them

5) Rewards. I noticed that you could get Rewards for sending GGs. I got one of those rewards so now the next reward is so far away that I don't GG for this reason anymore

I can't really say that I'm a fan of this game mechanic. It's pretty cynical by CDPR, I think. It is in keeping with their philosophy in the design of this game though...just applying the same principles it uses in other aspects of this game to the GG element. I.e. it's the slow, drip, drip, drip of rewards. You could easily automate the giving out of rewards. E.g. every game you play you get some sort of reward without needing to GG your opponent.

I have had people GG me when they smash me. Maybe they do it for the same reason that I do. Maybe not. But I don't tend to GG back. Because it wasn't a good game. If I had no chance of winning the match, I don't tend to GG.

Me:

1) A good game

2) A close or competitive game

3) Humorous: e.g. when my opponent abandons the game before we've even started

4) Encouragement. I might have won easily, but I'm just trying to comfort them

5) Rewards. I noticed that you could get Rewards for sending GGs. I got one of those rewards so now the next reward is so far away that I don't GG for this reason anymore

I can't really say that I'm a fan of this game mechanic. It's pretty cynical by CDPR, I think. It is in keeping with their philosophy in the design of this game though...just applying the same principles it uses in other aspects of this game to the GG element. I.e. it's the slow, drip, drip, drip of rewards. You could easily automate the giving out of rewards. E.g. every game you play you get some sort of reward without needing to GG your opponent.

I have had people GG me when they smash me. Maybe they do it for the same reason that I do. Maybe not. But I don't tend to GG back. Because it wasn't a good game. If I had no chance of winning the match, I don't tend to GG.

I send GG just for the sole purpose of get rewards... some now and then I would not send GG for garbage type of players such NG and NR abusers and 60 seconds every turn deploy card players.

This is totally not in the appropriate forum but for some reason I need 10 posts to create elsewhere, so it is what it is

I am curious about players using the GG function. Since reaching rank 20 I have had very few players hit it in return, and the past 10 games (win or lose) no one has used it. Is this a combination of Ego and bitter salts OR, my thinking (being as I try to think the best of people), does it just not matter at a certain rank?

Any feedback is appreciated

I just coincidentally posted a thread on GG a few minutes ago. I do/don't do GG for a variety of reasons. Maybe my thread will answer your question. Anyway, if we've played each other and you gave me no chance of winning, I wouldn't return the favour. Generally not because I'm bitter but...because the game needed to have been good or at least competitive for me to do that...apart from the exceptions to this rule that I mention in my thread.
Post automatically merged:

most give me the GG, its something automatic for most players, they do it regardless of what happens, they devoid GG of what its supposed to mean (good game i believe... so rare these days)

Red star or whatever you call it coming your way...am I gonna get a reward for doing that in the game? I posted up a thread on GG a few minutes ago. If I didn't say it explicitly, then your nice turn of phrase can say it for me. In my thread I try and give a reason for why I think CDPR do what they do, but I am rather coy in how I say it.

Last edited:
I send GG every time, with few exceptions:
1-Lockdown
2-Usurper skin
3-Usurper avatar
4-Top meta deck in casual
5-Broken deck in seasonal
6-Simply bad luck
7-Unwinnable matchup
8-Really dumb mistakes on my side

All good feedback, thanks much

I will ask, because I really just read/make cards and build decks. I don't look at what folks call meta decks. My favorite deck is my Northern Realms deck I have built and call Northern Fun. It uses Siege along with burn down strategies to allow me to get the siege engines out and some spy cards to help me get to what I need quicker. I really seem to lose as much as I win with it, but when the cards fall in line even I seem to find it a bit brutal. Would that be considered a "Meta deck"? I can change it up cuz tbh I just wanna play and have fun. Even when im taking a spanking I don't forfeit (although I did intentionally earlier tonight even tho I was winning cuz I had to go out!) because I figure let the other guy/gal enjoy their victory.

Again, any input is appreciated.

Also, whoever moved this to the proper forum, thanks!

NR Siege is top meta now??? I don't GG it since I had the same deck 3 months ago while none used it and now with 1 extra card named scenario everyone uses it and it is quite OP at the moment.

I send GG just for the sole purpose of get rewards... some now and then I would not send GG for garbage type of players such NG and NR abusers and 60 seconds every turn deploy card players.

Like I said in my (now merged with this) thread, I no longer send GG for the pitiful rewards the game 'rewards' you with. I think I got a reward for 500, so doing another 500 times for the reward is just tedious. Not sure if it was you who said it, but this kind of thing totally defeats the purpose of sending GGs. It's a really cynical ploy by CDPR to get you sucked into their cycle of chasing pitiful rewards for a huge effort on your part.

Today I ended up having a close game with someone. They beat me. I was waiting to see if they would GG me and as it didn't seem to be coming, I didn't bother. After I exited that screen with the GG button, I ended up getting a GG from them a bit later. Not sure if they just took ages or it is a server issue or something.

What is the etiquette for sending a GG? Should the Winner do it first?

1-Lockdown
2-Usurper skin
3-Usurper avatar

You mean where neither leader can use their ability? Damien de La Tour can get around that. Still, I don't have a problem with players locking down both of our leader's ability.

What's the deal with the other two? I don't get it.

You mean where neither leader can use their ability? Damien de La Tour can get around that. Still, I don't have a problem with players locking down both of our leader's ability.

What's the deal with the other two? I don't get it.

Usurper was THE leader with the lockdown ability before. Anyways, it seems alot of players hate lockdown/Usurper for some reason. They all forget that locking down the other leader comes at a great cost of less provisions. 5-7 less.

It's like anything, people hate things that can create trouble for their decks, if their decks are built around a single card or their leader ability and thus is a kind of one trick pony. There have been various complaints about such cards over time, which counter people with over-reliance on their leader or a single card.

Some say Usurper/lockdown is "anti-play", and to some degree I will agree with that. But it is the kind of thing which enrich the game. Perhaps "lockdown" is the worst leader ability, but I would rank many decks as both worse and more anti-play than Usurper/lockdown. In particular I would rank "trap decks" as both worse and more anti-play than "lockdown", and I would place my milling deck somewhere between "lockdown" and "trap decks" as some of the most toxic and/or salt spawning and/or "unfair" decks in the game, or even "anti-play" as they might call it.

"Trap decks" might be the lowest of all decks, but at least it is legitimate. Desperado decks, or bug/exploit decks rank below that again, including things like blue stripes Northern Reals shenanigans, monsters gold replay abuse or gold replay abuse in general and probably also firesworn zealot and some Skellige shenanigans decks (sukrus/defender), or general spawn overpowered copy decks, like ST dwarves or nilfgaard soldiers, or whatever decks people use a valuable gold card just to spawn yet another overpowered bronze.

I haven't played the newest version of the game yet, I'm still stuck on console, but it's pretty safe to assume scenario and bombardment and poison belong in the same category as all those, just below the legitimate but terribly annoying trap decks.

Today's anekdote:

I met a Stefan Skellen replay deck, based around bribery too. It was ridiculous, just the best/right card at the right moment.

But hey, people like to hate on a 160 provision Usurper/lockdown deck.

Last edited:
Really weird not getting GG so many matches in a row. Usually only happens if there's an extremely toxic deck that dominates the meta and everyone not using it hates it (i know Usurper had a few of those, or Damien decks on Wild Hunt seasonal mode)

I ragequit all the time against netdeckers because i dont want to play them if they are no different than the other 50 guys doing exactly the same - and yet most give me the GG, its something automatic for most players, they do it regardless of what happens, they devoid GG of what its supposed to mean (good game i believe... so rare these days)

Just wanted to add, I have been experiencing this lately on MY behalf. Since I started this game with HC, I simply gave GG everytime, never even thought about not giving it. We played, okay mate, win or lose, thanks for having me.

But recently, since the Merchants of Ofir and now after the new patch, I've found myself actually hesitating to give GG. It never happened before. You know, facing only Pincer Maneuver NR with 2x Scenario, Mystic Echo Harmony and Poison NR with some minor differences, and me knowing at about Round 2 in a 3-Round match if I'm gonna loose or not with about 95% certainty, is when the change started to happen.

Just a few days ago I started to retrospectively analyze why I now have so much less fun with the game, because I started to not open Gwent for days in a row (I tipically at least loaded the game up for over a year straight, just to check the dailies) and I had to realize that I actually am bored as hell with the game and sick and tired of the same copy-pasted opponents, unrewarding gameplay, not being able to win even 30% of the matches with something less competitive when I want to play for fun (I never played a ton on any day, I only got to Rank 1 once when I played a bit more in under 1 month, but I don't care about ranked at all, I like more testing and trying ideas). I also realized that the strongest decks are strong because of added consistency and thus they are super boring to play against. And if you don't have super good consistency, you just not gonna draw the right cards a lot of times and then auto-lose.

I didn't want this to sound like a rant, now I realize it might be. But still, just my two cents on what's happening and it seems to me many more people are starting to realize it and I hate to friggin see it because I loved Gwent to bits. Now I don't. Hopefully it changes with new updates.

1-Lockdown
2-Usurper skin
3-Usurper avatar
4-Top meta deck in casual
5-Broken deck in seasonal
6-Simply bad luck
7-Unwinnable matchup
8-Really dumb mistakes on my side

Usurper skin LOL :D

Last edited:
I always send a GG as it feels nice to be able to give and receive extra resources. The only thing that prevents me from doing it is roping every single round, which is a rare occurrence.

I loved Gwent to bits. Now I don't. Hopefully it changes with new updates.
I took a break from Gwent after Iron judgment. I did not like defenders back then and I was sick and tired of meta decks. After Merchants of Ofir came back I decided to play less ranked (I just play to hit rank 7) and lo and behold casual is actually a better place. Of course there are meta decks there but there are also folks trying new things and even meme decks.

I always send a GG as it feels nice to be able to give and receive extra resources. The only thing that prevents me from doing it is roping every single round, which is a rare occurrence.

I took a break from Gwent after Iron judgment. I did not like defenders back then and I was sick and tired of meta decks. After Merchants of Ofir came back I decided to play less ranked (I just play to hit rank 7) and lo and behold casual is actually a better place. Of course there are meta decks there but there are also folks trying new things and even meme decks.

I usually spend more time in Casual and Seasonal than in Ranked. But this Season im playing more in Ranked and something weird has happened.

I heard so many times the climb from Rank 5 to 0 is filled with metadecks that kept me from trying, but it was when i reached that point this season that i started seeing more meme decks. Saw weird variations of NG Mill, Keltullis, a NG artefact deck that on a full R3 only played Regis (2pt) as a unit (and he played really well, but had a terrible matchup vs my Ruehins and Dethlaff HV that return after destroyed)

I dont know if it was the weird hours i play at or the fact im also playing a memey deck and matchmaking might take that into account, but im actually finding more meme/original decks on Ranked than Casual.

Top Bottom