Why Many Players Not Giving GG

+
Sending GG has nothing to do with sharing love. When you lose a match and get a GG after it, this often feels more like a retaliation than a respectful gesture. The idea of GG is nice, but in reality it does not work. A big part of the gwent community is very toxic and this mechanic is used to share some hate and not love. Sad, but true.
That might be in your head. I've played this game for a while and I might've seen disconnects or some trolling card builds as toxic but never the GG system.

Guest 4368268

Sending GG has nothing to do with sharing love. When you lose a match and get a GG after it, this often feels more like a retaliation than a respectful gesture. The idea of GG is nice, but in reality it does not work. A big part of the gwent community is very toxic and this mechanic is used to share some hate and not love. Sad, but true.
When the opponent is going out of his way to be irritating all game (roping, taunting, playing notoriously despised decks) it is very cynical to see '*x* sends you a GG!' feels like salt in the wounds in those instances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought that I would point out the most common reason why I don't click the GG button. Occasionally, when I am significantly behind in points during the 3rd round, I'll choose to pass even though I still have cards in my hand. If after doing this, my opponent continues to play every card in his hand, then I will almost always forgo the GG.

I just thought that I would point out the most common reason why I don't click the GG button. Occasionally, when I am significantly behind in points during the 3rd round, I'll choose to pass even though I still have cards in my hand. If after doing this, my opponent continues to play every card in his hand, then I will almost always forgo the GG.
I totally agree. I never GG if the opponent keeps playing cards after I have already lost and passed - UNLESS the points are quite close and there are still engines, bleeds, vitality boosts, etc. active on the board and it's reasonable for the opponent to be unsure what the final score will be.

Continuing to 'beat' you when it's very clear that you are already beaten is not just a pointless waste of time - it's simply dishonourable. If they play several cards / abilities, I would even go as far as to say it's spiteful.

I totally agree. I never GG if the opponent keeps playing cards ...
Continuing to 'beat' you when it's very clear that you are already beaten is not just a pointless waste of time - it's simply dishonourable. If they play several cards / abilities, I would even go as far as to say it's spiteful.

well i wouldnt go that far as to say things like that.

It is purely a waste of time. The main resean is to feel good finishing the combo. Nothing more than that.

But it is a waste of time, its probably a kid who doesnt have the learned etiquette of won is won or lost is lost and just finish.

Another view could be that they just dont know.

But it really is just a waste of time and people should learn when to stop.

Just disable this nonsense button. It would be better for everyone.
Those not receiving GG would not get a straight impression, that there was something wrong with their play, even though there might have not and no GG was just a result of any of the other million reasons.
Those spamming GG as an unconditional reflex would spare their fingers.
Those not giving GG would not be stigmatized as being not respectful or not appreciative player.
Those unwilling to give GG, but eventualy giving, would not put their assertiveness at stake.

Or why not putting BG button next to GG? This way there would be a simple choice and an opportunity for each player to express their uequivocal thoughts about the game they just played.

Or why not putting BG button next to GG? This way there would be a simple choice and an opportunity for each player to express their uequivocal thoughts about the game they just played.
Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. There's no other way to express your disgust after dealing with certain decks other than not giving GG currently, but it there were, well, I think it would let quite a few people vent their anger and feel better.

Hi, I'm new (been here about 3 weeks) and I thought this and other topics share a theme, so I'll reply here.

Firstly, is poison overpowered? This seems to be a recurring post theme. Not necessarily. I can now spam poison and I do lose a lot of games. Overall, I lose far, far more than I win. Can it be overpowered? Very much so, so I would agree that a change be made to it. I'll suggest (one of many ideas) that you can't fire off poison cards one after after another after, etc.

Secondly, someone has said some people might not stay if they keep getting hammered. That's true. The first couple of weeks were fun even though I was obviously incompetent; the last week has been anything but. I play for fun, by the way, and that means enjoying the games I play.

Next, as this is the topic in hand. Why did i start off not giving GGs, then gave loads, and now (three weeks in, hardly a long time) give far fewer? Indeed, I now forfeit which I didn't before. This ties in with the hot topic of 'premium builds' and strategies and something I've heard of but don't know about which is unit cards.

I seem to have the misfortune to play a lot of what I can only think are robots. I'll not describe them as they're easy to spot but the Northern Realms build is a particular bugbear. As I understand it, someone cleverly designed a build with these cards and then everyone copies them and pretty much seems to just put down the cards in a predetermined fashion. They don't have any input, feeling, strategy, intelligence, etd; they're just a drone. The deck is very effective, but no fun. I don't want to have to build deck x in order to counter deck p, I don't want to have to play card L at point R if player 2 has played cards 1,2,7 in round two, etc. I'd like it to be about skill: mine and yours. So now I don't give GGs to robots and particularly annoying players. I would like variable GGs to give to players where the game has been very enjoyable. I'm happy to lose and learn and I know I'll probably never make the Pro rank. I don't care as long as I think I can have some influence on the game and it's a living game not one where 'best prepared strategy wins'. That kills this game and kills all games unless you like simply being told what to do (in which case you're a robot). Haviing cards that have the effect of "I win!!!!!!!!!!" also does that: it's stupid.

So I didn't give GGs, because I didn't understand them. Then I did because I did and because the games were fun. I have been annihilated but in a way where I would have congratulated someone on their smart play if the game would have been face to face. Now I play against robots and tend to bail quickly as soon as I see one. I'm here for fun, not to massage someone's ego and I think that overriding feeling is behind everyone who doesn't give the GG. You may as well pin this and close the thread now (!) < that's old English for "tongue-in-cheek" for those who don't know, by the way.
Post automatically merged:

If i've encountered with NG Poison. I never give gg. Even if i won the game. Because i hate people who netdecks strong decks and just spam them all the time. If i get a sense that my opponent is not using his brain while playing i also dont give gg. Some of them even cant do basic math and spend unnecessary cards or leader charges to win rounds that i've passed.
This kind of memorized moves wont improve you at all. You are just wasting your time to get high ranks with a deck which is not yours and your gameplay is exactly same in each game. So i hate that kind of mentality.

Damn, you pretty much say it more succinctly than me. My post had pretty words though. As I've gone back a few pages it's interesting to see that quite a few people have reiterated much, if not all, that I've said. I do have to say though that I will play NG Poisonball and I do still lose lots, but I'm probably more successful with that than any other deck so sometimes I feel like winning more than 1 or 2 games a day (it goes up to about 4 or even 5!).
Post automatically merged:

Now then. I've been trying for ages to get the achievement of winning a game by passing the first one. Not a cat in Hell's chance of that happening, but just now (a few minutes ago) someone worked out what I was doing and 'helped' me.

That person deserves a GG (and a damn sight more!), because they understood what I was doing and it was no odds to them to do what they did. The other person who did the same, but passed right after I did in the first game - so a winner takes all match, which is one I like - also got a GG. This was because they were fun and even though I got battered in the first game it was still enjoyable.

I am now off to ditch the Syndicate pack for a very, very, very long time - urgh!

Last edited:

Guest 4404014

Continuing to 'beat' you when it's very clear that you are already beaten is not just a pointless waste of time - it's simply dishonourable.

I understand the sentiment but it doesn't have to be dishonorable. At least not for more noob-ish players (like me). I don't know about how game is played at higher ranks but I sometimes (rarely though) do that to check out how combos work or how high I can go with the score.

When you lose a match and get a GG after it, this often feels more like a retaliation than a respectful gesture.

That quite an assumption! I always give gg no matter what even to players I crushed (doesn't happen often, though...;)). I never meant any disrespect. I just do it because I want it back. I need the resources to progress in the game. Simple.

I think the game should have an option of short tweets post-game if you wanna communicate sth to your opponent outside the six dialogue options in-game (you could accept or reject them to prevent spamming and trolling). That would enable some communication. One shouldn't assume to know the other person's motives, attitude or mentality by how they move cards in a (mostly) silent game.

If i've encountered with NG Poison. I never give gg. Even if i won the game. Because i hate people who netdecks strong decks and just spam them all the time.

I don't give GG to any NG deck period

I got a deck that "tries" to do the double Ball gimmick, and it's my first semi-decent deck and the only one (total noob here :)). . And I won't get another one anytime soon - to progress and try all the "more sophisticated" stuff - because ppl like you don't give gg to help me get resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4398794

I got a deck that "tries" to do the double Ball gimmick, and it's my first semi-decent deck and the only one (total noob here :)). . And I won't get another one anytime soon - to progress and try all the "more sophisticated" stuff - because ppl like you don't give gg to help me get resources.
Get use to it if you play 2ball or 3 ball.
Btw, you'll win.more so you won't lose any progress by not getting GG. 2ball 3 ball is insane at lower ranks, so build it up and progress fast, until devs will finally nerf to ground that combo poision toxic waste

Edit: don't rely on GG as resource, go for ores and scrolls in reward book.

Guest 4404014

don't rely on GG as resource, go for ores and scrolls in reward book.

I know, I said that figuratively. But in a way, not giving a GG is an act of denying your opponent a recompense for playing with you. I think that is more disrespectful than anything else mentioned in this thread.

I'd say about 80-90% of people GG back.

Start playing a deck that is universally hated for a reason and you'll see. I get like 50-60%.

Top Bottom