Why Many Players Not Giving GG

+
Let’s look at this another way. In what sporting events is it considered “good sportsmanship” to give up and walk off the field at halftime? Essentially, giving up says you are not enjoying playing the game — which could be taken as an insult.

Playing a game is about having fun — not racing to gain experience or other rewards. What value is experience in a game you don’t enjoy playing?

Let’s look at this another way. In what sporting events is it considered “good sportsmanship” to give up and walk off the field at halftime? Essentially, giving up says you are not enjoying playing the game — which could be taken as an insult.

Playing a game is about having fun — not racing to gain experience or other rewards. What value is experience in a game you don’t enjoy playing?

Most "sporting events" have an audience who have an expectation that the game will play for a set duration and the players have an obligation to the audience. In those circumstances, an injury or mathematical elimination are usually the only accepted conditions for concession.

An example of mathematical elimination is in curling where you have a maximum potential of 8 points in an end. In the final end, it's a common strategy for the winning team to remove all their opponent's stones from play, scoring or otherwise, to force a concession when it becomes impossible for them to lose. It's actually considered bad form to insist on playing once you've been mathematically eliminated.

In almost every 1 on 1 game that I can think of, conceding a lost cause to a superior opponent is perfectly acceptable.

Gwent falls into both the mathematical elimination category as well as the 1 on 1 category. Usually when I concede a round, it's because I know that, with the cards I have left, there is no chance for victory.

Let’s look at this another way. In what sporting events is it considered “good sportsmanship” to give up and walk off the field at halftime?
In chess, for example. When both players understand one of them has lost, they finish the game many turns before the actual checkmate. But forfeiting a game of chess is not like forfeiting in Gwent - that would be flipping the table and storming off. Instead the losing player just "passes", the winning player accepts it, then there's a usually a handshake, and they both walk away. Never have I seen a chess match, where one player conceded, but their opponent continued to make moves, showing their "amazing strategy".

Essentially, giving up says you are not enjoying playing the game — which could be taken as an insult.
And sometimes it should be taken as such. This way your opponent shows that they clearly don't enjoy playing - not the game itself, perhaps, but just with you as their opponent. Yet they're still too polite to suddenly "lose connection" and make you wait for 3 turns.
Some opponents just drain all the fun from the game. Why also lose XP because of them?

Yes this chess analogy is so good; thank you. I'll pass but if I see they do that continuation BS I'll just throw my phone into airplane mode. They wanna see the screen for so long I'll let them stare at the network screen. I'm a straight a@#hole though if people do jerkish things like that. I already know your deck bc you play a their 1 meta and seen I it a million times which is why I passed to move on. If you're going to waste my time I'll waste yours. MMR, ranks, levels, and EXP means nothing to me. I'll just put my phone down in airplane mode and go do something else.

I give GG at max 50%. Mostly bcs i don´t like MM at all.

I climb with my monsters where i have decent colection at rank 10. Now i can´t play other race bcs i just don´t have collection. And you dont even reset after seasson so I am practically locked for one race for XX months now?

And i can´t finish quest wiht other race.

Quest should be change to win rounds. Or there should be ranked for every race.

My colection are raped with meta decks when i have to use decks wihtou even full provision. Thats not GG for me. Thats sometimes "roping your opponent" game for me ;)

Last edited:
Amount of GG's when winning dropping significantly after a certain level?

I'm level 23 now and tonight I've been noticing when winning I'm barely getting GG's anymore, especially when I've dominated the opponent or turned the game significantly with my last card left. Before I would always default a GG win or lose unless they forfeit right at the beginning or something, now though I'm beginning to think about it when I win because I don't want to GG someone who doesn't do the same in return. Seems like a case of sore losers because the winners still always GG.

I know the nature of the GG system is that it's a choice, just seems now I'm a higher level a noticeable amount of people have stopped doing it when they lose..

Just an observation really, not necessarily a complaint.
I don't give GG's to any Onslaught or Guerilla Tactics spammer that win with me being unable to get more then 2 units on the board. When the game becomes more broken with less skill expect less GG's.

A lot of sports have a mercy ruling. Bad sports analogy. If the the team continued the slaughter they'd face penalty and suspensions. Football,softball, soccer, hockey, and baseball all have mercy rules. So it actually punishes the winners if they don't adhere to the rules and let them walk.

The problem in my opinion is the matchmaking and the meta.
Due to its nature, the game is not well balanced. Each patch there are certain cards that hold to much power for their price class and are overlooked by the developer, resulting in the feeling that a win is not deserved. Certain factions that get good cards/reworks in a patch are always at an advantage while others (unintentionally) get left behind. This means the game feels like not a fair competition resulting in less GG s. A good example would be the whole "king of beggars" debacle- from the perpective of a syndicate player its nice ... free mmr am I right ;) ... but it sucks for everyone else.

Furthermore gwent reached a point were certain deck types have direct counters and bad match ups, where you cant do much about it resulting in a lot of frustration for some players. For example if you get matched against a masquarade ball deck and you run only one purify card... its pretty much game over from the start. Its like if usain bolt gets matched against wladimir klitschko in a boxing match.

Besides that some decks seem specifically designed to be anoying or make you feel bad as an opponent , overall fostering a toxic reaction from players - like a mono blue control deck in MTG. This is especially true for some nilfgaard decks which I tend to give less GGs overall together with certain syndicate decks.

Not sending a GG doesnt meen I have hard feelings against someone. I just get salty when things feel unfair. Cheers

Last edited:
The only time I don't give a GG is when I have passsed, the opponent has won, yet they continue to play 3, 4, 5 cards. Players that do that should not get rewarded.

Would not be an issue if you could forfeit without loss of reward/experience.

ok: to be precise, i also give GG to people who are playing even not-unique-decks at least somewhat creative

(but i hate people who just copy and paste most successful decks without thinking of themself)

Honestly, in Gwent, there is so much dependence on a very small number of super-powered cards that most decks play like net decks — even when built from scratch. Generally, changing bronze packages or even a couple of gold cards does not significantly change the feel of the deck.

the only time i don't give gg is when they rope you for playing every card. I mean, come on bro, it's not cool

I give gg every time ecxept times when i pass (surrender) with several cards still in my hand and opponent starts playing all theit cards on table even if they would already win (try humiliating). Thats just annoying. Spamming messages is too.

Top Bottom